Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Julia Duffy

Why did her career go right down the shitter?

by Anonymousreply 39May 24, 2021 8:30 PM

Go away, Defarto.

by Anonymousreply 1May 23, 2021 5:17 AM

She was thought to have ruined Designing Women. Never recovered. Got old.

by Anonymousreply 2May 23, 2021 5:17 AM

Lilly Rabe came along and Julia was doomed to Hallmark Hell.

by Anonymousreply 3May 23, 2021 5:24 AM

Lily Rabe? She came along like 20 years later. What does r3 mean?

by Anonymousreply 4May 23, 2021 5:26 AM

The last thing I remember her on as a semi-regular was the first season of Reba where she played Cheyenne and Van's principal who had a stick up her butt. I guess if BJ hadn't become a breakout character, they could've found more for her to do.

by Anonymousreply 5May 23, 2021 5:32 AM

She was on Looking that Jonathan Groff HBO show. Played his mother.

by Anonymousreply 6May 23, 2021 5:34 AM

Columbia put her on [italic]Designing Women[/italic] to get her off that stupid [italic]Baby Talk[/italic] show.

by Anonymousreply 7May 23, 2021 5:35 AM

She also ruined Grace Under Fire. Like DW, after she came on, the show ended up being canceled.

by Anonymousreply 8May 23, 2021 6:01 AM

Losing Emmy after Emmy to the likes of Jackée Harry and Estelle Getty will take its toll on you.

by Anonymousreply 9May 23, 2021 6:03 AM

She was one of the three finalists for the role of Diane on Cheers. (Lisa Eichorn was the other one. William Devane and Fred Dreyer were the finalists for Sam.)

by Anonymousreply 10May 23, 2021 6:07 AM

Devane has that dry thing down and Dreyer has the height and sex appeal; clearly, they made the right choices with Danson and Long.

Their chemistry was great;

by Anonymousreply 11May 23, 2021 6:28 AM

Danson and Long were paired for the final audition and they really clicked. Probably helped each other get the role. That end of the first season episode is like 10 minutes of dialogue of the two of them going back and forth. Almost like a play. You don't see stuff like that on TV anymore. They and the writing are perfect.

by Anonymousreply 12May 23, 2021 6:35 AM

Really, r12? I don't think "Cheers" has aged very well, but it was never one of favorites...although I liked it enough at the time.

by Anonymousreply 13May 23, 2021 6:56 AM

I think she peaked on Newhart & was never able to recapture that lightning in a bottle. Though she tried & tried & tried it seems, playing basically the same character…

by Anonymousreply 14May 23, 2021 7:43 AM

Maybe they should’ve tried letting her play something else.

by Anonymousreply 15May 23, 2021 7:44 AM

Loved her as a spoiled princess on Wizards and Warriors. I still remember some of her lines.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 23, 2021 8:03 AM

The bitch paid her dues.

She was Dr. Althea's daughter Penny on The Doctors, and from day one it was clear she had "it" and would be going places.

(Especially when compared to her TV mother's baroque line readings.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 23, 2021 8:11 AM

the first season of Cheers I find phenomenal r13.

The rest are ok and once Shelley Long left much less funny and less intellectual.

by Anonymousreply 18May 23, 2021 9:39 PM

Newhart came after Cheers, I think.

I think JD replaced someone kind of bland on Newhart and spoiled Stephanie fit in great; but on Designing Women, JD was a dud.

by Anonymousreply 19May 24, 2021 4:07 AM

[quote]JD replaced someone kind of bland on Newhart and spoiled Stephanie fit in great; but on Designing Women, JD was a dud.

Karma's a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 20May 24, 2021 4:20 AM

The problem with JD on DW, was they just wrote her as a mouthy Yankeefied bitch. Suzanne for all her many faults was written as having a heart. Underneath it all you knew she really cared about the others. Allison didn’t seem to care about anyone other than herself. Even when they tried to make everyone feel sorry for her, like when she got stood up at the altar, you couldn’t help but feel like she got what she deserved.

by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2021 4:42 AM

Duffy has a guest starring role in the first season of Cheers playing a Diane like character. (Diane's friend.)

She's much less vibrant than Long was. Shows they made the right choice.

Dreyer had a guest shot too but I don't remember what he was.

by Anonymousreply 22May 24, 2021 4:44 AM

I just peeked at her instagram. She seems woke-ish, as I guess most if not all actresses are. It's strange to think of Stephanie Vanderkellen being that way.

by Anonymousreply 23May 24, 2021 5:33 AM

I think she has a bad agent. After Newhart she seems to get on shows that are on the decline.

by Anonymousreply 24May 24, 2021 5:42 AM

At least she gets shows. When was the last time Peter Scolari had a series role?

by Anonymousreply 25May 24, 2021 6:17 AM

Peter Scolari just one an Emmy like 4 years ago for playing Lens Dunham's father on Girls.

by Anonymousreply 26May 24, 2021 6:19 AM

Uh, in Girls, R25. The same year Duffy got a one-shot on Looking.

by Anonymousreply 27May 24, 2021 6:20 AM

She did that Mommies show too. I think it lasted a season.

by Anonymousreply 28May 24, 2021 6:31 AM

I’m very sad she lost her son to suicide. That must be so painful for her.

by Anonymousreply 29May 24, 2021 6:47 AM

It must be terrible to birth a child who kills himself to get away from you.

by Anonymousreply 30May 24, 2021 6:54 AM

Yeah, R30, even worse than getting fired from a show that only becomes a hit after you leave.

by Anonymousreply 31May 24, 2021 6:56 AM

Odd. Deborah Rush who always reminded me of Duffy had a son who killed himself recently too.

by Anonymousreply 32May 24, 2021 6:56 AM

Her son was really attractive. That poor woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 24, 2021 6:58 AM

Three DL comedy favorites all had very cute sons who suffered untimely deaths in recent years.

Julia Duffy's son, 2019 suicide, 29

Deborah Rush's son, 2015 suicide, 22

Dinah Manoff's son, 2017 car accident, 19 (grandson of Lee Grant)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 24, 2021 7:03 AM

Plus, she costarred with Peter who had a tight hairy body - imagine writhing all over that. He was a good tv boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 35May 24, 2021 7:04 AM

[quote]It must be terrible to birth a child who kills himself to get away from you.

What? Did he say that’s why he took the nestea plunge?

by Anonymousreply 36May 24, 2021 7:07 AM

[quote]It must be terrible to birth a child who kills himself to get away from you.

[quote] What? Did he say that’s why he took the nestea plunge?

That's what I heard. Just saying.

by Anonymousreply 37May 24, 2021 7:08 AM

the news reports I just googled said he killed himself after years of mental health struggles.

by Anonymousreply 38May 24, 2021 7:12 AM

R31 Or like being stupid enough to turn down the lead in “Pretty Woman.”

by Anonymousreply 39May 24, 2021 8:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!