Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Potato Salad

Who puts pickles or relish in their potato salad? I think that is so disgusting. Share your favorite recipes for potato salad.

Me:

Potatoes Hellmann's Mayo (or Blue Plate) Hard cooked eggs A little dry mustard Tiny bit of diced red onion Small amount of diced celery Salt & Pepper

by Anonymousreply 161May 24, 2021 8:37 PM

This thread will end in tears and semen.

by Anonymousreply 1May 16, 2021 5:34 PM

Celery is nasty. I use jalapenos in place of pickles.

by Anonymousreply 2May 16, 2021 5:35 PM

OP, yours is very similar to mine which is a recipe I got from an old family member. It's from her 1930's era cookbook. While potatoes are still hot sprinkle some vinegar and a bit of sugar. Boiled eggs, celery and red onion. Mayo, mustard and sometimes chopped bacon.

by Anonymousreply 3May 16, 2021 5:46 PM

Not I, OP. Absolutely not. I like diced sweet pickled jalapeños in my tuna salad, however. I'll try a great many variations on classic/traditional recipes, but pickles and/or relish have no place in potato salad.

by Anonymousreply 4May 16, 2021 5:54 PM

But if it's tuna salad, it's desirable to have diced relish or maybe even pickles?

But I'm not so sure I'd want them in my potato salad.

Weird, huh?

by Anonymousreply 5May 16, 2021 5:56 PM

My mother made delicious potato salad. She made it for my birthday every year at my request. It was a secret recipe and it didn’t have hard boiled eggs in it (ew OP, that’s as gross as relish).

I asked her for the recipe and she said it was her secret. And she wasn’t kidding. She took it to her grave with her.

by Anonymousreply 6May 16, 2021 6:10 PM

R6 is the egg hating poster who almost had a meltdown a few weeks ago. I've never had potato salad without boiled eggs.

by Anonymousreply 7May 16, 2021 6:17 PM

Right. If you like deviled eggs, then adding hard cooked eggs to potato salad makes perfect sense.

R6 is a rube.

by Anonymousreply 8May 16, 2021 6:28 PM

Ingredients.

Russet potatoes.

Elbow macaroni.

Mayonnaise (Best Foods). Not a crazy amount.

Hard boiled eggs: lots, maybe 4-6 eggs.

Salt & pepper.

Onion & celery, very finely-cut.

Salted & squeezed-out English cucumbers. (Excess moisture removed.)

Nothing sweet. No pickles, etc.

by Anonymousreply 9May 16, 2021 6:28 PM

How interesting to add elbows to potato salad. I'm intrigued.

by Anonymousreply 10May 16, 2021 6:30 PM

Eggs. Ew. Who the hell wants protein mixed up in their carb load?

by Anonymousreply 11May 16, 2021 6:30 PM

That sounds delicious, R9.

by Anonymousreply 12May 16, 2021 6:31 PM

Elbows in potato salad sounds very Hawaiian to me.

by Anonymousreply 13May 16, 2021 6:31 PM

Yes, it's a Hawaiian (elbow macaroni) / Japanese-style potato salad. (Japanese-style in that you *must* use russet potatoes, no smooth-skinned potatoes.)

by Anonymousreply 14May 16, 2021 6:36 PM

Bacon, pickles, pickle juice, Penzeys shallots, hard boiled eggs and kewpie mayonnaise

by Anonymousreply 15May 16, 2021 6:43 PM

Many types of potato salad exist. Many are good. If the OP finds pickles or relish "disgusting" in a potato salad, certainly the spare list of ingredients in her recipe suggest a potato purist, or a cunt with OCD and anorexia issues, or both.

For cold serving, I prefer all-savory potato salads assembled, of course, with just-made mayonnaise that uses a white-wine vinegar rather than lemon juice. Copious chopped onion (any but red) and egg, a small amount of a good Dijon or Mittelscharf mustard. If I want another texture I add celery, because I am not an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 16May 16, 2021 6:45 PM

Eggs in potato salad is not typical in NY. Neither are pickles. Pickles are sometimes added to macaroni salad.

Eggs and red onion in potato salad are a hard pass from me. I might try adding pickles some time.

by Anonymousreply 17May 16, 2021 6:46 PM

I like sliced green Olives, sliced dill pickles, eggs, lemon juice and bacon. I use half miracle whip and half plain yogurt. chives, dill, lots of dried mustard and a touch of cayenne pepper.

you may mock at will, I don't care, I love my potato salad

by Anonymousreply 18May 16, 2021 6:48 PM

Ick on the olives.

by Anonymousreply 19May 16, 2021 6:49 PM

Olives sound good. Not sure about the Miracle Whip and yogurt, but with all that other stuff, it probably isn't that noticeable.

by Anonymousreply 20May 16, 2021 6:52 PM

yeah, I just don't like mayonnaise so it's a substitute. I don't use much because the pickles and green Olives would make it soupy (GAG) if there were much dressing.

by Anonymousreply 21May 16, 2021 6:54 PM

Don't forget the chopped, marinated artichoke pieces!

by Anonymousreply 22May 16, 2021 6:57 PM

I think that would be delicious in the other kind of potato salad r22! the drier, warm one. mmmmm

by Anonymousreply 23May 16, 2021 6:59 PM

German potato salad is the ONLY potato salad that should be allowed on the land.

Hot on toast, or as a side dish. Perfect. Cool (NOT COLD, NEIN!) as a lovely bit of flavor along with a sandwich.

I AM STARVING

by Anonymousreply 24May 16, 2021 7:02 PM

Oh fuck here come the white Northerers to ruin everything again.

by Anonymousreply 25May 16, 2021 7:06 PM

[quote] If I want another texture I add celery, because I am not an idiot

But you are, Blanche! You are an idiot!

by Anonymousreply 26May 16, 2021 7:08 PM

It's the miracle whip that makes me gag r18.

It's too sweet, can't stand the stuff.

by Anonymousreply 27May 16, 2021 7:10 PM

No I’m not you idiots at r7 and r8. This is literally the first time I’ve weighed in on this issue, you dizzy bitches.

It’s so ironic that you’re so against putting relish in potato salad yet at the same time you’re obsessed with putting chicken droppings in there. BLECH.

by Anonymousreply 28May 16, 2021 7:11 PM

r27, I totally get that! The plain yogurt cuts the sweet and adds more tang. Basically for me, anything but mayonnaise. blech.

by Anonymousreply 29May 16, 2021 7:13 PM

R17 is a right-thinking American. Why not just put fucking Buffalo wings in your potato salad and be done with it?

by Anonymousreply 30May 16, 2021 7:13 PM

The only place that celery has in German potato salad (the only kind, the BEST kind) is in an oven.

by Anonymousreply 31May 16, 2021 7:15 PM

Red potatoes, chopped white onion, celery, dill, mixed with mayo, sour cream and cream cheese. Divine.

by Anonymousreply 32May 16, 2021 7:15 PM

[quote] It’s so ironic that you’re so against putting relish in potato salad

Ah—that is not irony. Do you know what irony is? Try looking it up before you continue to embarrass yourself.

by Anonymousreply 33May 16, 2021 7:16 PM

I think w can all agree that raisins should never be in a potato salad.

by Anonymousreply 34May 16, 2021 7:17 PM

[quote]It’s so ironic that you’re so against putting relish in potato salad yet at the same time you’re obsessed with putting chicken droppings in there. BLECH.

I haven't been obsessing about relish at all R28. If you are going to try and id posters at least get them straight.

by Anonymousreply 35May 16, 2021 7:17 PM

Eww, R34 that reminds me of a nasty carrot, raisin salad I once tried at a potluck. Blech....

by Anonymousreply 36May 16, 2021 7:18 PM

Mediterranean potato salad is best for mayo haters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 16, 2021 7:20 PM

New Englander here. NO EGGS.

Red potatoes optional skin on.

Red onion

Celery

Hellmans mayo mixed with Ken's Italian Dressing

splash of red vinegar

Light and heavenly. Good textures Rave reviews.

by Anonymousreply 38May 16, 2021 7:44 PM

I don't mind some sliced hard boiled eggs over top of the potato salad as a garnish, along with a little paprika. But I don't care for eggs mixed into the potato salad. Once it chills in the fridge, it takes on a really strong Sulphur smell that I hate.

Otherwise I make it dead simple: Some peeled and cubed russets, red onion, celery, Hellman's, salt and pepper. I don't do the extra sugar, vinegar, or mustard. Hellman's already has a nice balance of creaminess and tang imo. No need to guild the lily.

by Anonymousreply 39May 16, 2021 8:30 PM

It's got too many eggs R39 it it smells like that. I like the tang the vinegar gives it too but otherwise you've got my recipe. Simple and delicious.

by Anonymousreply 40May 16, 2021 8:34 PM

[quote] No need to guild the lily.

Oh dear. It's "gild" the lily.

gild·ing /ˈɡildiNG/

the process of applying gold leaf or gold paint. the material used in, or the surface produced by applying gold leaf or gold paint. "any flaws in the surface will show through the gilding" gild1 /ɡild/ verb gerund or present participle: gilding cover thinly with gold. "in 1436 he gilded and painted statues for Bruges Town Hall"

by Anonymousreply 41May 16, 2021 8:38 PM

Cold potato salad - Red potatoes, mayo, grated onion and a little celery (sometimes hard cooked eggs). Warm potato salad - Red potatoes, champagne vinegar, olive oil, shallots, capers and string beans.

by Anonymousreply 42May 16, 2021 8:55 PM

I like a lot of these ideas but I never vary from the absolute best tasting potato salad I've ever had. What's more, it tastes just as good when I make it as it did at the event I attended.

Potato of choice (I like Yukon Gold but others can work); Homemade mayonnaise (sorry to sound like a snob, but this works best and Mark Bittman's food processor mayo is super easy); Whole grain mustard; Sweet gherkins, thinly sliced; Scallions, thinly sliced, using the green ends cut on an angle to garnish.

Let sit in the fridge for at least 4 hours, and even overnight. Let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving. Seriously, guys, your friends will be blown away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 16, 2021 9:03 PM

Like New Englanders know from cooking. CELERY? NO!

by Anonymousreply 44May 16, 2021 9:08 PM

I like celery in it. Gives it a nice crunch. I'm from the South btw.

by Anonymousreply 45May 16, 2021 9:09 PM

My family's recipe includes sour cream in a ratio of about 1/3 to 2/3 mayo, some pickle juice and/or cider vinegar for added kick, and finely chopped onions and pickles, usually bread and butter. Eggs optional. It's amazing, really.

by Anonymousreply 46May 16, 2021 9:21 PM

I like a very simple potato salad made with a vinaigrette (wine vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper) and mixed dried herbs (like Herbs de Provence).

My Mom's German potato salad is made with red potatoes, finely sliced onions (red or white), hard-boiled eggs, lots of crispy bits of bacon, a lightly sweetened vinegar dressing, and sometimes, chopped scallions.

by Anonymousreply 47May 16, 2021 9:24 PM

If you are going to hate on pickles OP, well there is just no help for you.

by Anonymousreply 48May 16, 2021 9:35 PM

Eggs

Idaho White Potato's

A can of carrots

A can of corn

Mayo

French's Mustard

Sweet Pickle Relish

Paprika to garnish

by Anonymousreply 49May 16, 2021 9:38 PM

R49 WTF is that?

by Anonymousreply 50May 16, 2021 9:39 PM

R49—that sounds like shit.

by Anonymousreply 51May 16, 2021 9:46 PM

R49 you have something if you leave out the carrots and corn.

by Anonymousreply 52May 16, 2021 9:47 PM

My recipe is simple and people have always loved my potato salad. I cook the potatoes in quarters unless the potatoes are big then I cut them a little smaller. Right after I drain the water, while the potatoes are hot, I slice them with an egg slicer. I add hard boiled eggs also sliced with the egg slicer and I add finely chopped onions. I then add Hellman's mayo. I mix it up and some of the potatoes get smashed but not all of them. Adding mayo to hot potatoes changes the flavor for some reason. It can be eaten right away while it is warm and can also be eaten cold. It is delicious either way.

by Anonymousreply 53May 16, 2021 9:55 PM

I make Ina’s mayo-free French potato salad all the time in the summer. The Mediterranean one above sounds good too. I’m printing that out and the one at r43 to try later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 16, 2021 10:19 PM

Italian potato salad: Boiled potatoes of your choice, crisp-tender green beans, chopped tomatoes, minced garlic, parsley and basil, salt and pepper, red wine vinegar, and olive oil.

by Anonymousreply 55May 16, 2021 10:26 PM

Thank you r38 and r39. Potato salad that smells like actual farts is best left to the likes of such disgraces to the gay community and America as r7 and r8.

by Anonymousreply 56May 16, 2021 10:32 PM

R6, I think you need help.

by Anonymousreply 57May 16, 2021 10:38 PM

Boiled eggs are disgusting and have have no place in Potato Salad, OP. R6 may be a rube, but R8 is a retard. Jalapeños are an essential ingredient.

by Anonymousreply 58May 16, 2021 10:38 PM

Disagree R58. Lots of people don't want jalapenos in their potato salad, especially older ones.

by Anonymousreply 59May 16, 2021 10:42 PM

R58, watch your language. You're an offensive jerk.

by Anonymousreply 60May 16, 2021 10:43 PM

Boiled potatoes, sliced while still warm, and dressed with

Wine vinegar, salt and pepper, mild olive oil or vegetable oil or bacon fat.

Then add thinly sliced onion and/or green onion, and bite-sized slices of dried sausage. You can use summer sausage or salami. Serve warm or room temperature.

by Anonymousreply 61May 16, 2021 10:43 PM

What is appropriate amount of time to boil potatoes for salad? You don't want them hard but they need to be firm enough to hold up to the dressing without becoming "mashed" potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 62May 16, 2021 10:46 PM

Store-bought is fine!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 16, 2021 10:48 PM

Made fresh daily, this potato salad has all the fixins. Skin-on potatoes are mixed with mayo, celery, onions, sweet heat pickles, eggs, salt, and black pepper. Thanks, Aunt Pearl, you’ve always been our favorite auntie!

by Anonymousreply 64May 16, 2021 10:50 PM

DL potato salad threads always end in tears

by Anonymousreply 65May 16, 2021 10:56 PM

YOU watch it, R60. You did notice the sign on the way in, didn’t you? Step off with your controlling, PC bullshit. YOU are offensive with your inauthentic virtue signaling. Sit down.

by Anonymousreply 66May 16, 2021 10:56 PM

R65, one queen said she put raisins in her potato salad and was forcibly thrown out..

by Anonymousreply 67May 16, 2021 11:01 PM

Does anyone else here love the skins? As long as they are scrubbed good I love the skins from my baked potatoes. It has all the vitamins.

by Anonymousreply 68May 16, 2021 11:02 PM

[quote] Are all the nutrients in the skin of the potato?

[quote] No. While the skin does contain approximately half of the total dietary fiber, the majority (> 50%) of the nutrients are found within the potato itself.

That said, I do like the skins, sometimes, esp. when crispy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 16, 2021 11:04 PM

I'm intrigued by Japanese potato salad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70May 16, 2021 11:07 PM

R66, YOU watch it. Using a word like 'retard' — where are you from? As if we couldn't guess. Ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 71May 16, 2021 11:19 PM

OP--my mom made the best potato salad, but I never got the recipe before she died. Your ingredients sound exactly like hers. (I remember that I was baffled to learn she used mustard.). You've inspired me to try to reproduce the experience. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 72May 16, 2021 11:27 PM

[quote] [R6], I think you need help.

I need no assistance with identifying a salad heretic when I see one.

by Anonymousreply 73May 16, 2021 11:33 PM

OP, I use the same recipe as you posted but instead of red onion, I use a thinly sliced radish.

by Anonymousreply 74May 16, 2021 11:33 PM

It definitely needs dry mustard not the liquid yellow stuff.

by Anonymousreply 75May 16, 2021 11:34 PM

R71, I am from the real world, doofus. Clutch your pearls elsewhere, Miss Thing. Your caftan is on fire. Mind your own business and remember where you are. I will speak as I please, as do you. Now, back the fuck up, stupid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 76May 16, 2021 11:37 PM

I love the meltdowns on DL recipe threads. It’s what I live for. Pure poetry and sophistication!

“You’re a pasta draining cunt!” - “No, you are! And you smell like egg fart!”

by Anonymousreply 77May 16, 2021 11:41 PM

Yeah, but I can only hope the meltdowns are put on for humor. I'd hate to think some DLers are actually that vested in recipes.

by Anonymousreply 78May 16, 2021 11:43 PM

Oh for fuck's sake, it was a stupid typo. I missed a letter on my keyboard. Get the fuck over yourself you insufferably pretentious queen. You're probably a fucking cashier at Walmart. Projecting much?

by Anonymousreply 79May 16, 2021 11:48 PM

Potatoes; hard boiled eggs, mayo, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and a recent addition; bacon.

My mom used to put in finely minced onions and celery. I hated it as a kid and would pick both out

I saw a recipe recently that added shredded cheddar cheese and tried it. I didnt care for it. It didnt taste bad but it was unexpected and seemed wrong.

Only monsters put pickles in potato salad.

by Anonymousreply 80May 16, 2021 11:49 PM

What are you talking about R79?

by Anonymousreply 81May 16, 2021 11:56 PM

I think some on this thread might have been hitting the boxed wine this afternoon/evening. In under 6 hours its devolved into name calling and, “your caftan is on fire”.

by Anonymousreply 82May 16, 2021 11:59 PM

^R41 went off on me because I accidentally spelled "gild" as "guild". She's probably working at a Subway right now herself, asking customers if they want their sandwiches toasted or not.

by Anonymousreply 83May 17, 2021 12:03 AM

The potato salad wars, the pasta sauce wars, sauce vs. gravy wars, the pasta draining wars, the meatball wars. Those threads all go to hell at about the 40 replies mark. I love this place...

by Anonymousreply 84May 17, 2021 12:11 AM

I like my potato salad to have a tang to it, and a little sweet relish accomplishes that. However, I'd be willing to try sweet pickled jalapenos to change it up.

I can eat potato salad without hard boiled eggs, but i much prefer it with the HBEs. I'm good with some celery in it as well and onion. I'd never thought to grate onion, that's a good idea.

Olive oil mayo and yes, to adding the dry mustard (if you happen to have it). If not, then I do resort to using the mustard i have on hand (currently I have sweet brown, dijon and a good yellow mustard). Top with sweet Hungarian paprika.

I have made a version of the Mediterranean potato salad (my recipe was for Greek potato salad) which had feta, bell peppers, kalamatas and a lemony, olive-oil dressing. I really wish I saved the recipe, it was delicious and everybody raved over it.

by Anonymousreply 85May 17, 2021 12:21 AM

I love these threads.

I veganized this recipe…I think one of you guys posted it in another thread?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86May 17, 2021 12:25 AM

I love creamy, mayonnaise-based potato salad, though my mother always made a German version that she learned from her mother, who was Russian-German and came to the U.S. as a child. That version was pretty simple, but good—it was consisted simply of potatoes, onions, white vinegar, oil, some salt, and a pinch of sugar.

by Anonymousreply 87May 17, 2021 12:25 AM

Like r6, I can't imagine making, or eating, potato salad with hard-boiled eggs. Way to ruin a perfectly delicious dish, which I usually make the way Ina describes in r54. Sometimes I make it with a mixture of sour cream, mayo, and chopped fresh dill, basil, tarragon, and parsley. Never, ever hard-boiled eggs, though. And potatoes need a lot of salt.

by Anonymousreply 88May 17, 2021 12:32 AM

I love my Cuban potato salad, with bacon and Spanish olives. I was reluctant to try it at first, but it's good. I just don't use too many olives.

by Anonymousreply 89May 17, 2021 12:49 AM

Peruvian potato salad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90May 17, 2021 2:53 AM

Are you all Yankees? So far I've seen string beans, cream cheese, canned carrots, olives, salami ...

You are all going STRAIGHT TO HELL.

by Anonymousreply 91May 17, 2021 3:09 AM

I wish they would stop putting pickles in everything, I don't want it on a pizza or on a chicken sandwich. Leave the pickles for a hot dog or hamburger.

by Anonymousreply 92May 17, 2021 3:10 AM

Look, I like pickles (not in everything though), but I recently tried a shawarma from a place near me since it's the only place I've seen in my area that had it. They put pickles on it, and SO MANY! i had to unwrap it and take them off; it was exceedingly over-powering. On the other hand, I think pickles on a chicken sandwich goes very nicely.

by Anonymousreply 93May 17, 2021 3:16 AM

My go-to is a variant on German Potato Salad, using cubed redskin potatoes, unpeeled. Stirred into them is a sauce made from diced white onion sauteed in bacon grease, with crisp crumbled bacon, salt, sugar, coarse-ground black pepper, whole celery seed, flour, water, and white vinegar (final consistency resembles a white gravy with bacon in it), and tossed with diced hard-boiled eggs (I don't want to hear any bitching about those, so don't bother!).

No pickles, no mayo, no Miracle Whip, no mustard.

It's best served hot to warm. I generally serve it with Boston Baked Beans. Both recipes have a lot of bacon.

by Anonymousreply 94May 17, 2021 3:46 AM

Eggs in potato salad are disgusting. All you taste are the stinky eggs so why bother putting potatoes in it.

by Anonymousreply 95May 17, 2021 4:26 AM

They only smell when you overcook them, r95. Some of us know how to cook them correctly and don't yield stinky HBEs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96May 17, 2021 4:37 AM

You know, there are different types of potato salad to consider.

I've made a great dilled potato salad. I've made a curried potato salad garnished with ground peanuts and lime. It's possible to make significant variations on the old potatoes-mayo-something crunchy formula and still return happily to the original.

by Anonymousreply 97May 17, 2021 4:39 AM

Agreed, r97, I like different styles of potato salads and dill is usually added when I make my Dad's heirloom recipe. However, I'm not really a fan of the hot/warm German potato salads that I have tasted in the past: way too sweet for me. That's what the baked beans are for that I generally end up eating with potato salad; there has to be a balance of savory to sweet in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 98May 17, 2021 4:59 AM

I use russet potatoes, finely chopped gherkins, onion, eggs, Best foods mayo, S&P, with paprika on top. It's my mother's recipe, and it just doesn't taste the same unless my mother made it. It was my sister and my request when we came home from college, along with Mom's salmon soufflé.

by Anonymousreply 99May 17, 2021 5:19 AM

Many years of living in a large city and getting potato salad at the deli made me forget the tyoe I had as a kid, but I went to a soul food kitchen for lunch one day and the potato salad was great, the way my grandmother made it, but I couldn't really figure out what was the essential difference, just that I preferred my grandmother's version.

by Anonymousreply 100May 17, 2021 6:25 AM

So no salad Nicoise for R95?

by Anonymousreply 101May 17, 2021 6:27 AM

I found that the best potatoes with the most flavor to use in potato salad are Long Island potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 102May 17, 2021 12:30 PM

R101 You leave the eggs out, dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 103May 17, 2021 1:30 PM

I make Lisa Vanderpump's potato salad: Little red potatoes, mayo, garlic salt, scallions, bacon (I usually do turkey bacon). Simple but delicious.

by Anonymousreply 104May 17, 2021 2:13 PM

My mom always made potato salad with chopped eggs and diced dill pickles, minced onion, with equal parts of Duke's mayo and Miracle Whip. Simple and delicious.

by Anonymousreply 105May 17, 2021 2:23 PM

Read's German potato salad is one of my soul foods.

My family potato salad recipe is boiled potatoes, any kind you like, cut into about 3/4 inch cubes, combined with diced celery or green pepper, optional sliced black olives, slivered red onion, and/or a diced hardboiled egg, with just enough Miracle Whip to pull it all together, seasoned with salt and pepper and maybe a dash of paprika or dry mustard.

by Anonymousreply 106May 17, 2021 2:33 PM

Potatoes, diced onions, diced celery, salt, Hellman’s mayo, paprika, sometimes hard boiled eggs, sometimes not. Really simple. I don’t make it because it’s too fattening, but my mother used to make it & it was delicious until late in life when she required more & more mayonnaise - because she claimed the potatoes were absorbing all the mayo - along with more & more salt because it tasted too bland for her. The result was a slippery salt bomb.

by Anonymousreply 107May 17, 2021 5:11 PM

Slivered onions, not diced. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 108May 17, 2021 5:12 PM

[quote] Many years of living in a large city and getting potato salad at the deli made me forget the tyoe I had as a kid,

Potato salad bought from a store or restaurant uses Miracle whip, not mayonnaise, and too much vinegar. They usually add some sugar to the Miracle Whip too. Altogether disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 109May 17, 2021 5:15 PM

No Miracle whip! Good quality mayo only. And Olives ruin anything they are put in.

Otherwise there are a lot of options that all are good. I like adding some dill. I've never had it with bacon, but it sounds yummy.

by Anonymousreply 110May 17, 2021 5:46 PM

I've never eaten potato salad, but I suddenly find myself wanting to taste-test every variety on the planet.

DataLounge needs a potato salad bar!

by Anonymousreply 111May 17, 2021 5:56 PM

😏 I've had my neighbor's loaded potato salad with baby redskin potatoes, shredded cheddar, crispy bacon, sour cream and mayo dressing.

by Anonymousreply 112May 17, 2021 6:12 PM

Maybe where you live r109 but I’ve never had potato salad from anywhere that was made with Miracle Whip.

by Anonymousreply 113May 17, 2021 6:40 PM

Miracle Whip is so divisive. Not to mention, horrible.

by Anonymousreply 114May 17, 2021 7:34 PM

I posted earlier up this thread, but I forgot to mention two things:

I use red onions, but I peel and cut them into slices, then soak them in an ice bath for a bit, then proceed to dice them. I get it, some people can't stand raw red onion. It tones them down a bit.

I'm not vegetarian or vegan, but Veganaise is surprisingly good. I have a few friends who are vegan and I had no idea they used this in their pasta salad. I've only tried the grapeseed oil variety so far.

by Anonymousreply 115May 17, 2021 9:17 PM

This might be unusual, but my mother always put Brach's Circus Peanuts in her potato salad. Believe it or not—the sweet taste of the Circus Peanuts counters the acidity of the hot dog relish. Try it before you judge it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116May 17, 2021 10:45 PM

R116 is funning us.

by Anonymousreply 117May 17, 2021 10:47 PM

A friend who hates mayo, Miracle Whip, and yogurt uses a smidge of Hidden Valley Ranch for his potato salad, just enough to keep it from being too dry. Russet potatoes, chopped celery, hard boiled eggs, spicy brown mustard, chopped fresh chives, crumbled bacon, salt, fresh ground pepper. I was surprised it tasted pretty good! Not sure if he's tried sour cream yet, but that sounds like a delicious substitute to me.

by Anonymousreply 118May 17, 2021 11:58 PM

Duke's is the only mayo for salads.

by Anonymousreply 119May 18, 2021 1:22 AM

R31, do some German potato salads have celery seed in them? I swear I ate this. When I make it I leave it out since I never have it around.

by Anonymousreply 120May 18, 2021 2:40 AM

My mom's potato salad was a lot like R105's. Except she used all Miracle Whip. And sweet pickles and hard boiled eggs. She would dress the hot potatoes with pickle juice. I did not like my mom's potato salad.

by Anonymousreply 121May 18, 2021 2:44 AM

I use celery seed and some dill r120. Mine is not german potato salad.

by Anonymousreply 122May 18, 2021 2:58 AM

The German potato salad I get at the deli definitely has some sort of seeds and a bit of chopped pimento or roasted red peppers. I love German potato salad on a hot dog. You fill the bun (preferably top split) with potato salad, make a nest for the hotdog and then add some mustard.

by Anonymousreply 123May 18, 2021 3:05 AM

I'm from the South, so its always the mashed potato kind not the chunky potato type here. I don't actually eat it myself but I make it using the family recipe. Whenever I make it for some sort of potluck type thing, it is one of the first things to run out of on the buffet with people wanting more.

boiled potatos(mashed) Duke's mayo mustard hard boiled eggs onion dill pickle relish a smidge of horseradish sauce(for a kick) salt pepper and topped with paprika

by Anonymousreply 124May 18, 2021 3:23 AM

OK. I never make it anymore. I buy it at Publix. Get the kind with no eggs. Then I'll add chopped onion, a bit of fresh dill, and I usually get the red skin potato salad. I may add celery chopped up, too. but that's it. Salt & pepper to taste. Now, Mama's potato salad was the favorite in the whole family. She kept it simple. Chopped onion, celery, green pepper (I preferred red bell peppers in mine when I used to make it from scratch) We used some stone ground brown mustard, not much, and she never used Mayonnaise. She used Miracle whip. Oh, and chopped up hard boiled eggs, of course. That's all.

by Anonymousreply 125May 18, 2021 3:35 AM

Steamed quartered baby potatoes, green beans, sliced red pepper and onion. Dressed with Good Seasons Eyetalian. It's really good.

by Anonymousreply 126May 18, 2021 4:00 AM

No the eggs in Potato Salad Yes to Best Foods Mayo in Potato Salad. No substitutes please. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 127May 18, 2021 4:03 AM

A jar of the sweet mix and red onion

by Anonymousreply 128May 18, 2021 4:09 AM

All of these recipes involve too much work. So much easier to just buy potato salad at Gelson's.

by Anonymousreply 129May 18, 2021 4:23 AM

R127 Best Foods and Hellman's Mayo are exactly the same. It is called Best Foods on the west coast of the US and Hellman's on the east coast. I just found that out recently. I never really cared for Hellman'sbut when I found out it's the same as Best Foods, now I like it. lol.

My mother always used Miracle Whip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130May 18, 2021 4:34 AM

R130 apparently according to the article there is an allegedly slight difference in the recipes, with Best Foods having more lemon juice.

by Anonymousreply 131May 18, 2021 4:38 AM

No radishes?

by Anonymousreply 132May 18, 2021 4:53 AM

I add jellybeans and some broken up pretzels to mine. Always a big hit when I bring it to a party.

by Anonymousreply 133May 18, 2021 12:15 PM

R133: What kind of jellybeans?

I've also done this, but avoid the black ones. Oh, and rather than Circus Peanuts, my mother used Peeps.

by Anonymousreply 134May 18, 2021 1:07 PM

My mother loved making potato salad for Easter, and she always used Peeps too, R134. She loved the blue Peeps when they came out. She loved how they made her potato salad stand out on the sideboard!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135May 19, 2021 4:12 AM

I've never once eaten potato salad without thinking, "This could really use some puffy marshmallows."

by Anonymousreply 136May 19, 2021 4:34 AM

[quote]do some German potato salads have celery seed in them? I swear I ate this.

Yes, R120, it's in the recipe I use @R94. It's a teaspoon of celery seed. A little goes a long way.

[quote]When I make it I leave it out since I never have it around.

That recipe is the only thing I use whole celery seed for (ground celery seed has lots of other uses). Get some - it's worth it.

by Anonymousreply 137May 19, 2021 4:34 AM

Amish potato salad has both Mustard AND Pickle Relish.

Speaking of Amish whatever happened to that Amish twink Keegan? Maybe he's back together with Womp Rat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138May 19, 2021 8:01 AM

Here's something that will blow your American minds - potato salad in the UK doesn't contain boiled eggs as standard.

by Anonymousreply 139May 19, 2021 10:42 AM

Baby potatoes are now in season here. My roommate makes a potato salad that is totally light and health (obviously it's starchy but it is way easier on the waistline and super tasty). Grill some marinated chicken breasts or some skinless thighs. I made it a few days ago and I think I will be making it when I get home. My only gripe is that I just don't trust the olive oil industry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140May 19, 2021 11:32 AM

I only eat Southern Potato Salad and it has to be sweet. Can’t stand that nasty ass mustard tasting potato salad.

by Anonymousreply 141May 19, 2021 11:41 AM

Southern baby tastes. Waah, I gotta have my sugar.

by Anonymousreply 142May 19, 2021 12:37 PM

Southern does not necessarily equal sweet.

by Anonymousreply 143May 19, 2021 1:58 PM

R142 Why do you care about what someone does or doesn’t like? I’m sure you like certain things that other people think taste like shit.🤷🏻‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 144May 19, 2021 2:15 PM

Gotta have sweet iced tea. Gotta have sweet relish in my tuna sandwich. Gotta have sweet relish in my potato salad. Gotta have my bourbon - other whiskeys just aren’t sweet enough. Gotta have my sorghum molasses. Don’t want pumpkin pie, I have to have my sweet potato pie. Gotta have my southern sweet cornbread. I need my side dish of sweet potatoes candied in syrup!

by Anonymousreply 145May 19, 2021 3:20 PM

R145 in the South there are both sweet and non sweet versions of most of those things. In my family it’s non-sweet potato salad and tuna salad(both with dill relish) and non-sweet cornbread, if you bring the sweet version no one will eat it. Also, sweet potatoes are just simply better than pumpkin but the actual pies are both equally sweet so that’s a stupid part of your rant.

by Anonymousreply 146May 19, 2021 3:30 PM

I wonder if chopped pepperoncini would be good in potato salad.....

by Anonymousreply 147May 19, 2021 4:03 PM

Yes, R34...but they DO belong in meatloaf.

by Anonymousreply 148May 19, 2021 4:08 PM

R145 is a real douche apparently.

[quote] Gotta have my southern sweet cornbread.

Southern cornbread is NOT sweet. Northern cornbread usually contains more sugar and is more cake-like.

by Anonymousreply 149May 19, 2021 4:59 PM

r147, I don't see why not. sometimes I put chopped banana peppers in my bowl of potato salad.

by Anonymousreply 150May 19, 2021 5:04 PM

R145 - that isn't really Southern since a lot of that stuff also has various spices and other ingredients. In general, if you give most Europeans, for example BBQ and we, as Americans call it tangy or smokey, they still laugh at how sweet our food is and how our bread and cheese is "taste free". I, on the other hand, despite loving Hungarian and Romanian food, laugh at what they call spicy. Nevertheless, no particular thing is just sugar or just salt.

by Anonymousreply 151May 19, 2021 5:53 PM

R146 I have a feeling that our troll bitching about Southern food, of which he knows shit, just hates anything outside his borough.

by Anonymousreply 152May 19, 2021 9:41 PM

Are you guys joking about adding candies?

by Anonymousreply 153May 20, 2021 1:24 PM

Yes, R153.

by Anonymousreply 154May 22, 2021 12:24 AM

I loathe pickles as well! Avoid tartar sauce wherever possible. Chopped banana peppers sounds great.

by Anonymousreply 155May 22, 2021 12:40 AM

[quote] Southern cornbread is NOT sweet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156May 24, 2021 6:15 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157May 24, 2021 6:15 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158May 24, 2021 6:17 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159May 24, 2021 6:20 PM

Canned Hungarian hot peppers in oil are a delicacy, typically served with a fresh crusty loaf of Italian bread. Someone upthread mentioned putting banana peppers in potato salad. I'd pass on that, personally.

by Anonymousreply 160May 24, 2021 7:30 PM

Those links above call this "Southern Sweet Cornbread" because it's the exception, rather than the rule. The ordinary Southern cornbread is not sweet.

by Anonymousreply 161May 24, 2021 8:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!