Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nun's Habits

What's your favorite nun's habit?

I love the habit that used to be worn by the School Sisters of Notre Dame.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96June 18, 2021 5:35 PM

Lovely. Feminine, graceful, dramatic!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 14, 2021 2:39 PM

More

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 14, 2021 2:41 PM

Always in the forefront of fashion...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 14, 2021 2:45 PM

None are my favorites. Although the nuns at my grade school wore this style.

by Anonymousreply 4May 14, 2021 2:47 PM

Sr. Marie Benedict, of the Holy Cross order.

When a photographer "gets it."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 14, 2021 2:47 PM

The kind that flys.

by Anonymousreply 6May 14, 2021 2:47 PM

The Christian burka.

by Anonymousreply 7May 14, 2021 2:50 PM

Sometimes black and white do not tell the story.

The Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters of Mount Grace Convent, St. Louis, Missouri.

Commonly known as "The Pink Sisters."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 14, 2021 2:52 PM

The Daughters of Charity, of course!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 14, 2021 2:53 PM

Love the Holy Cross Sisters headgear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 14, 2021 2:56 PM

I love them having been raised in the Church and educated in Cathlic school. My schoolboy photos are hilarious. I think half of us were gaylings.

by Anonymousreply 11May 14, 2021 2:56 PM

What about Brothers' habits?

by Anonymousreply 12May 14, 2021 3:03 PM

Don't you already know about the Brothers' habits, R12?

by Anonymousreply 13May 14, 2021 3:05 PM

The Sisters of Mercy. If you are a habit queen, you will LOVE this video, especially 9:43 and beyond.

9:43

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 14, 2021 3:08 PM

R1 and R2 images will likely give me night terrors again! Eight years of grade school taught by Dominican nuns in the 60's scarred me for life. It didn't help that in 5th grade Sister Mary Hildegard confiscated the troll doll I had being secretly showing some other students during history class. When she saw that I had written her name across the ass of the troll doll, she made my life a living hell for the next 3 years.

by Anonymousreply 15May 14, 2021 3:11 PM

Love the Dominican habit. My High school chemistry teacher, Sister Anthony Marie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 14, 2021 3:13 PM

I grew up across the street from a nunnery, those bitches scared the Episcopalian shit out of me

Except this one...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 14, 2021 3:15 PM

R9- They look like WON TONS

by Anonymousreply 18May 14, 2021 3:16 PM

The Dominican Nuns had a lovely habit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 14, 2021 3:18 PM

Jesus - how heavy were those things? Now, isn't the reason they wore those was because they shaved their heads? I recall my mom saying that was the case years ago.

What a ridiculous outfit. Religion really does make for some absurd creations.

by Anonymousreply 20May 14, 2021 3:21 PM

Dominican Nuns

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 14, 2021 3:28 PM

[quote] how heavy were those things? Now, isn't the reason they wore those was because they shaved their heads?

Very heavy. Layers upon layers of undergarments, serge, starched linen, veiling, etc. Watch the video above and you'll see (and she doesn't even talk about the undergarments they had to wear). And, they wore these habits every day of the year at every waking hour. Imagine how hot they would have been in the summer, dressed in black serge and linen and without ever being in air conditioning.

You ask if they wore these veils because they shaved their heads....it's the other way around. In order to wear all of this on top of their heads, they had to cut their hair really short.

by Anonymousreply 22May 14, 2021 3:32 PM

R16 Did Sister Anthony Marie.get a lot of pussy?

by Anonymousreply 23May 14, 2021 3:32 PM

R22 - ok, that makes sense - if you had long hair it would get tangled in all that shit.

It's amazing to me how the Catholic Church was able to convince hundreds of thousands of women to give up their lives and, among other things, teach in Catholic schools for poverty wages. Let alone all the other bullshit they did for priests and the Church. Priests certainly didn't live poorly.

by Anonymousreply 24May 14, 2021 3:35 PM

Remember the very pleated linen surrounding the nuns faces in the Sound of Music? Here's how nuns would make that happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 14, 2021 3:46 PM

I like the habit they have of rapping children’s knuckles with a ruler. Or sometimes their palms, but that hurts less.

by Anonymousreply 26May 14, 2021 3:46 PM

R9 = Sharon Osbourne

by Anonymousreply 27May 14, 2021 3:48 PM

Buncha Lezzies!

by Anonymousreply 28May 14, 2021 3:48 PM

Smoking. Especially if there is a group of them in the alley.

Second would be gambling. Nothing funnier than a nun at a slot machine.

by Anonymousreply 29May 14, 2021 3:53 PM

The homo eroticism among nuns is almost as strong as that among priests. Disrobing each other must be a long and sensual precursor to multiple miracles.

by Anonymousreply 30May 14, 2021 3:55 PM

What did they wear to the beach?

by Anonymousreply 31May 14, 2021 4:10 PM

Same thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 14, 2021 4:21 PM

I went to Catholic school mid 60s - early 70s. During that time the nuns switched from the traditional habit to the ‘mini habit.’ They looked so much more comfortable and a lot less scary.

by Anonymousreply 33May 14, 2021 4:24 PM

Sister Bertha Wasa wimple!

by Anonymousreply 34May 14, 2021 4:29 PM

Closeted lesbianism.

by Anonymousreply 35May 14, 2021 4:31 PM

Never forget Sister Boom Boom of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 14, 2021 4:45 PM

They are all hideous. Burkas, pure and simple.

by Anonymousreply 37May 14, 2021 5:00 PM

They are far nicer looking than burkas. But what you mean to say is that they are similar to the hijab, not the burka.

by Anonymousreply 38May 14, 2021 5:49 PM

Great photo, R5. Yes, the photographer really understood the subject. That nun is beautiful, IMO. Looks like she's wearing makeup, but I assume she's not. Flattering lighting on her face, as if heaven is shining on her.

I'll repost the photo here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 14, 2021 5:55 PM

I went to Catholic school. Teachers were probably 25% nuns, 75% woman lay teachers. Habits probably looked like in the photo, below, very simple.

My mom had a white swimming cap and I'd put that on, then would drape a towel over the cap. That was how I imitated the nun's headgear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 14, 2021 6:02 PM

R5 and R39, here is what Sr. Marie Bernadette looked like later in life and out of the habit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 14, 2021 6:09 PM

Carmelite Nuns

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 14, 2021 6:12 PM

The classic Sisters of Loretto "M" veil looked so serene and mysterious, although it blocked the sisters' peripheral vision and made it hard to drive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 14, 2021 6:28 PM

Today's Lorenttines are a far cry from their predecessors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 14, 2021 6:31 PM

Yes, that's why many orders had what they called "driving veils"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 14, 2021 6:33 PM

I wonder if Portia Nelson (Sister Berthe) and Susan Lucci compared habit notes when Erica disguised herself as a nun on All My Children and head out with Mrs Gurney's sister, Olive Whalen, play by Maureen O'Sullivan.

by Anonymousreply 46May 14, 2021 6:34 PM

Does anyone remember Lila Quartermaine from General Hospital?

Question: When did Anna Lee portray a nun?

by Anonymousreply 47May 14, 2021 6:37 PM

The Bene Gesserit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 14, 2021 6:42 PM

Ellen Albertini Dow was one of the Sister Act nuns before she was the rapping grandmother in Wedding Singer and the sinful Disco Dottie in 54.

Mary Wickes and Kathleen Freeman played nuns several times. Freeman even played a nun on General Hospital.

by Anonymousreply 49May 14, 2021 7:00 PM

R47, The Sound of Music

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 14, 2021 7:30 PM

R50 wins! Yes, Anna Lee was Sister Margaretta in the Sound of Music! Great photo, R50. Now you know how they made all those pleats on their wimples.

by Anonymousreply 51May 14, 2021 7:37 PM

[Quote] My mom had a white swimming cap and I'd put that on, then would drape a towel over the cap. That was how I imitated the nun's headgear.

This belongs in the gayling dialing with a pencil thread.

by Anonymousreply 52May 14, 2021 7:37 PM

These Sisters of the Sacred Heart look like men. What was going on in that Order?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 14, 2021 7:42 PM

I would pull the arm hole of a white t-shirt through my face for that wimple effect. Then I'd hang a bath towel over my head as a veil.

My father: "We are NOT going to Costco with you dressed like that!"

Me: "Why ever not, my child? Is there something you can't face?"

I always thought how much fun it would have been to wear one of those old traditional habits out on the street.

by Anonymousreply 54May 14, 2021 7:43 PM

R53, you're right! I've seen that photo before and was struck by how so many of them look exactly like men.

by Anonymousreply 55May 14, 2021 7:45 PM

Are nuns allowed tweezers?

by Anonymousreply 56May 14, 2021 7:46 PM

An old nun calling a noviate a cunt face will always be my favorite nun's habit...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 14, 2021 7:49 PM

[quote] An old nun calling a noviate a cunt face will always be my favorite nun's habit...

A "novitiate" is a building where novices are trained to become religious.

A "novice" is the person preparing to make vows.

You meant to say "An old nun calling a novice a cunt face will always be my favorite nun's habit."

by Anonymousreply 58May 14, 2021 7:53 PM

My least favorite - looking the other way when priests molest/rape.

by Anonymousreply 59May 14, 2021 8:03 PM

Nuns are good. They generally love gay men.

Have you seen the play or movie "Doubt?"

by Anonymousreply 60May 14, 2021 8:06 PM

"Doubt"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 14, 2021 8:07 PM

I was taught by the School Sisters of Notre Dame. Some were nice. Sister Maureen played dodge ball with us. At least until Frank Cifelli knocked her whimple back with a well-aimed hit. We were alls shocked and a few girls screamed. Honestly, we ere afraid we'd committed a mortal sin.

by Anonymousreply 62May 14, 2021 8:08 PM

Did Sr. Maureen's entire headpiece come off her head or was it just knocked off? That's a funny image— the nun was probably less shocked than the children were. I think the SSNDs had double sleeves—back close fitting sleeves covered by very wide black sleeves that got attached by buttons up around their shoulders.

by Anonymousreply 63May 14, 2021 8:19 PM

I grew up Catholic but by then the nuns had stopped wearing habits altogether and just worse clothes that looked like they came from a thrift store. Interestingly however, the only orders in Catholic Religion life that are seeing a growth of vocations are the ones that still wear the traditional habits.

by Anonymousreply 64May 14, 2021 8:19 PM

I'm not for telling people what they should wear, but it's pretty clear that sisters usually look better in some sort of habit then when left to their own devices, especially given that they don't have much money to spend on clothing. A simple black dress, white collar, and veil looks so much better than cheap polyester clothing in outdated patterns and sweatshirts with cats on them. Just my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 65May 14, 2021 8:33 PM

My grandfather’s sister was a nun, for a small NYC based order that worked with the poor. She was a very sweet, soft spoken woman. As a small child I would get confused because her aunt name was different than her num name and the family used both randomly. Her order stopped wearing habits in the early 70s and she usually did the blouse / skirt / cross thing - no head covering. I was in catholic high school when JP2 made noises about wanting nuns to return to the traditional habits. I asked Sister what she thought about that at the next family function. She replied with the polite nun version of “The Pope can suck my dick.”

by Anonymousreply 66May 14, 2021 8:46 PM

^^ “in” not “for” - Jesus is weeping.

by Anonymousreply 67May 14, 2021 8:51 PM

I saw Agnes of God (movie) when it came out and remember liking the movie. Not sure how it holds up. Meg Tilly as the novice (?) nun who gets pregnant. Jane Fonda as the medical (?) professional who is supposed to get to the bottom of how, why, who, etc. Anne Bancroft as a high-ranking nun who is suspicious of the Jane Fonda character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68May 14, 2021 8:56 PM

"What's your favorite nun's habit?"

Placing obstreperous, bratty schoolchildren in the corner wastepaper basket!

by Anonymousreply 69May 14, 2021 9:12 PM

I wanted to add that my hip neighborhood had more progressive nuns in 1970, during our Holy Communion year. Sisters Cathy and Sally. They wore mini-dresses and these little contemporary habits that just came down to the length of the tops of their shoulders. Kind of like the 1969 "Change Of Habit" Elvis movie sisters'.

by Anonymousreply 70May 14, 2021 9:16 PM

"We can't all of us look like that Jennifer Lopez girl, R53 and R55?!"

by Anonymousreply 71May 14, 2021 9:19 PM

I must confess that I've always found the simple black cassock and clerical collar look of the priesthood very intriguing.

But that's a detour for another time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 14, 2021 9:21 PM

I love the episodes in "The Flying Nun" when Sally Fields does her '60s dancing in full nun habit. I think they're in the later episodes.

by Anonymousreply 73May 14, 2021 9:24 PM

Keep it simple

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74May 14, 2021 9:32 PM

r51 Peggy Wood was too old to sing, Marni Dixon dubbed her voice. Most of her singing was done in a shadow.

by Anonymousreply 75May 14, 2021 9:53 PM

Nuns out of habit are a bore and don't command respect.

by Anonymousreply 76May 14, 2021 10:05 PM

Great Movie Nuns: Audrey Hepburn. Beautiful. Angelic. Serene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77May 15, 2021 4:13 AM

[quote] It's amazing to me how the Catholic Church was able to convince hundreds of thousands of women to give up their lives and, among other things, teach in Catholic schools for poverty wages.

An aunt of my father was a nun.. My mother's aunt is also a nun. Everyone here (provincial Northern Italy) had an "aunt nun". It was common in generations at the turn of the world wars. It was an economic choice, they had too many children, too little money, a daughter in a convent was "one less mouth to feed". I always wondered how they picked the daughter to send to the convent....

by Anonymousreply 78May 15, 2021 8:24 AM

R78, also, it was very common in super religious large Catholic familes to donate a child to Jesus. They were a gift to Him as a gesture of thanks for dying for our sins and blessing us with health and prosperity, etc. My cousin and his wife were rearing one of their four sons for the priesthood since his birth. Said he was their gift to God. That plan died the day the son hit puberty, met a girl, and decided he liked girls too much to become a priest.

by Anonymousreply 79May 15, 2021 1:29 PM

The sexually repressed nuns of "Black Narcissus" are also fascinating, plus the extremely sexy Sabu covered in jewels.

by Anonymousreply 80May 15, 2021 1:33 PM

Nun's Habits-

ONE of their habits was

LICKING each others PUSSIES

by Anonymousreply 81May 15, 2021 1:33 PM

Handmaid’s Tale precursor...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82May 15, 2021 1:47 PM

R82 again. Link didn’t post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83May 15, 2021 2:35 PM

[quote]Marni Dixon

1. Her name was NIXON, not Dixon. And she actually appeared in the movie as one of the nuns (Sr. Sophia.)

2. Peggy wood was dubbed by MARGERY MCKAY.

by Anonymousreply 84May 15, 2021 2:42 PM

And it's Sally FIELD not FIELDS.

by Anonymousreply 85May 16, 2021 5:08 PM

A bit off topic - but it looks like the women of Malta used to all wear a sort of nun's habit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86May 16, 2021 11:02 PM

A bit off topic, but it looks like the women of Malta used to ALL wear a sort of nun's habit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87May 16, 2021 11:02 PM

OP, you are talking about our nuns as if they disapeared. They are still there in Paris in another churchs while Notre Dame is under repair.

by Anonymousreply 88May 16, 2021 11:06 PM

I want to know why women have to cover their heads? Muslims, nuns, Orthodox Jews...

by Anonymousreply 89May 16, 2021 11:08 PM

R88, really? This is what I wrote:

[quote] What's your favorite nun's habit? I love the habit that used to be worn by the School Sisters of Notre Dame.

Do you think this sounds like my saying that nuns have disappeared? [note spelling]

Also, what on earth does Notre Dame have to do with nuns? There are lots of women religious in the world still. But the traditional habits have all but gone away.

You're post makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 90May 16, 2021 11:15 PM

R89, because women were instructed to do so in the Scriptures and it was mandated by early Christians. The custom came from earlier Jewish practices and passed on to the other Abrahamic religions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91May 17, 2021 6:32 AM

How I miss seeing nuns walking around in those big traditional lovely habits. They were graceful and their faces were beautifully framed by starched white linen. Such a good look.

by Anonymousreply 92June 18, 2021 4:53 PM

The one and only Mother Angelica.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93June 18, 2021 5:01 PM

"It's amazing to me how the Catholic Church was able to convince hundreds of thousands of women to give up their lives and, among other things, teach in Catholic schools for poverty wages. Let alone all the other bullshit they did for priests and the Church. Priests certainly didn't live poorly."

R24 the Church screwed over the nuns horribly. They didn't make payments to social security/medicare on behalf of the nuns and starting in the 1980's, nuns were retiring in large numbers and had no income or healthcare. Eventually the Church made back payments.

by Anonymousreply 94June 18, 2021 5:12 PM

That photo of Mother Angelica points out that traditional nuns habits make nuns appear younger. You can't see gray hair, their faces are framed in pristine looking white linen, they are not wearing polyester from discount stores, and the older nuns are dressed exactly like the nuns in their twenties. It creates a sort of ageless appearance.

by Anonymousreply 95June 18, 2021 5:30 PM

[quote] "It's amazing to me how the Catholic Church was able to convince hundreds of thousands of women to give up their lives and, among other things, teach in Catholic schools for poverty wages. Let alone all the other bullshit they did for priests and the Church. Priests certainly didn't live poorly."

The Church certainly is guilty of not treating women religious well and not being prepared to support them financially in retirement. However, back in earlier generations, entering a convent was, for some women, a way out of a life marked by a different type of drudgery. Many came from immigrant families and probably saw how their mothers were forced to stay home and cook, clean, and have babies and they didn't want that. Entering a convent meant, for some young women, getting a good education, having a career, and not being under the control of a man. Women religious were founding colleges and universities, opening and being presidents of hospitals, running shelters for the poor, etc. at a time when women did not typically have such doors open to them. Seen in this light, becoming a nun was a way out of a repressive home life for certain women.

by Anonymousreply 96June 18, 2021 5:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!