Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have the B-52s ever been given proper credit?

I always got the impression that a lot of people viewed them as a flamboyant "gimmick" band, which I suppose they *sort* of were, although I think their look/aesthetic was given much more attention than their musical chops. Cindy Wilson and Kate Pierson were/are both phenomenal singers, and musically speaking, the band did a lot of interesting, unusual, dare I say groundbreaking stuff (especially early on). I've also always appreciated that they seemed to have remained true to their original vision. Kate's flawless harmonizing with the keyboards in "Planet Claire" has always taken me aback.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 16, 2021 5:21 PM

For me it was Rome.

by Anonymousreply 1May 14, 2021 2:33 AM

For a "gimmick" band, their stuff holds up awfully well.

by Anonymousreply 2May 14, 2021 2:35 AM

If you're not from Georgia, you don't really know their work.

by Anonymousreply 3May 14, 2021 2:38 AM

I always thought they were kitschy crap.

by Anonymousreply 4May 14, 2021 2:39 AM

Some great rock songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 14, 2021 2:52 AM

Like them or not, they are one of the gayest bands ever. The lead singer Fred Schneider and the original guitarist, Ricky Wilson (RIP, brother of vocalist Cindy, who died prematurely of AIDS) are/were both gay, and Cindy and Kate Pierson's stage getups outdid the greatest of any John Waters movies. They did "camp" perfectly, but the music was always a perfect mix of unique, upbeat, and utterly weird. There's nobody else that really sounds like them.

by Anonymousreply 6May 14, 2021 2:54 AM

The people who caught on to them later, when they were having hits, probably think they were gimmicky. But people who were paying attention all along knew how talented and innovative they were. (I bought the debut record when it came out, in 1979 or whenever, so it's true that I'm patting myself on the back here. They sounded great and like nothing anyone else had done.)

by Anonymousreply 7May 14, 2021 2:58 AM

How can you not dance to this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 14, 2021 3:02 AM

Or this. BTW, the drummer Keith Strickland was devastatingly handsome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 14, 2021 3:16 AM

R9 Keith is gay too, I believe. And yes, he was stunningly handsome in his youth. He took over lead guitar after Ricky died. Here is the two of them together

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 14, 2021 3:18 AM

Cindy Wilson was also striking looking. She looked like a prettier version of Shelley Duvall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 14, 2021 3:21 AM

They were very influential and creative, one-of-a-kind talent.

by Anonymousreply 12May 14, 2021 3:21 AM

I know Fred and Kate get all the attention, but Cindy is the secret sauce in the group -- the album they did without her really showed that.

by Anonymousreply 13May 14, 2021 3:30 AM

Yes Keith is definitely, and one of the two women is I believe bi.

by Anonymousreply 14May 14, 2021 3:44 AM

Kate has a woman partner. Not sure if they're married.

by Anonymousreply 15May 14, 2021 3:48 AM

I legitimately didn't know Kate was bisexual, let alone in a longterm relationship with a woman. She says in this interview from 2015 that she's been with her partner, Monica, for over 10 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 14, 2021 3:53 AM

[quote] For me it was Rome.

I think you mean “Roam”

by Anonymousreply 17May 14, 2021 4:00 AM

They were/are truly wonderful. To be that young again...

by Anonymousreply 18May 14, 2021 4:02 AM

OP, you must have read my mind. Just yesterday, I was thinking about how furious I become when I hear some idiot-- or some "edgy" rock critic-- call them a "party band". They need to fuck off forever, because the B-52s made some of the greatest and purest rock 'n' roll ever recorded. "Cosmic Thing" is a masterpiece from start to finish.

by Anonymousreply 19May 14, 2021 4:31 AM

You know you've made it when.......................

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 15, 2021 11:56 AM

B-52s exploded with success. Even John Lennon compared the girls' harmonies to Yoko very early in their career. Love Shack was phenomenal success -- radio and video.

by Anonymousreply 21May 15, 2021 11:58 AM

July 1998.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 15, 2021 12:09 PM

Joyously gay....they loved "96 Tears" AND Yoko Ono!!!!

by Anonymousreply 23May 15, 2021 12:29 PM

One of the most heart-wrenching, melancholic elegies to a failed relationship set to music. Sublime. The reurring sound effect of the ringing doorbell (that's never answered) is genius.

"Flying saucers could land And it wouldn't make much difference to my man I could walk aboard and thank the Lord And leave this damn town in seconds flat Check my bags and never come back..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 15, 2021 12:38 PM

I think they are mostly known as a party band now because of Love Shack. I also think the album "Good Stuff" gets a bad rep amongst fans, because Cindy decided to sit that one out, but Good Stuff, Hot Pants Explosion, Revolution Earth, Dreamland, The World's Green Laughter, and Is That You Mo-Dean? are great tracks.

by Anonymousreply 25May 15, 2021 12:40 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 15, 2021 12:42 PM

Sorry, forgot Tell It Like It Is (I remember some idiot friend of mine, when he heard the title, thought it's a cover of the Don Johnson song LOL).

by Anonymousreply 27May 15, 2021 12:43 PM

They were considered a niche act that kept breaking out of the niche. But songs like "Deadbeat Club" were just great pop, and they should have been bigger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 15, 2021 12:44 PM

I think they were "too quirky" or "too camp" for pop back then. While I do love Love Shack, I think Channel Z (which didn't age at all thanks to the message still being current), Cosmic Thing, and Roam are vastly superior tracks. But it was Love Shack that gave them the most attention in the band's career.

by Anonymousreply 29May 15, 2021 12:50 PM

For me it was all about their first two albums. Ricky Wilson was an amazing guitarist, and the band’s initial sounds were so innovative.

by Anonymousreply 30May 15, 2021 12:51 PM

[quote]call them a "party band"

Didn't Fred used to say their ambition was to be the world's greatest party band? Lack of pretension is/was one of their virtues.

I confess I didn't know them well until "Cosmic Thing." Then I went back and listened to their older albums. Their debut is so, so good. Now one of my favorite New Wave albums.

by Anonymousreply 31May 15, 2021 1:03 PM

They were a gimmick band. I liked their ironic sense of humor, but they were very grating live. OK for a single on the radio, though.

by Anonymousreply 32May 15, 2021 1:04 PM

They are still not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Even though they are eligible for decades now.

by Anonymousreply 33May 15, 2021 1:16 PM

R32 - I don't know what you're talking about. I've seen them about 10 times and they were always great. Their late 80's album, Cosmic Thing, was the most 'pop' album they did - but it's really not like their earlier stuff.

Their first couple of albums were fresh and innovative for the time - and a lot of fun. I had every album except their most recent one. There are brilliant songs on all of them.

And I believe they are probably the gayest band to ever have that level of success. Of the original 5 members, only Cindy is straight. Of course most straight people are willfully ignorant of that.

I met Keith at a gay bar in Key West about 10 years ago - he was the sweetest man ever. I had a massive crush on him when I was younger and he looked great for being 50+ at the time.

They're about fun and not taking themselves seriously, despite having some great music and, for my money, Cindy and Kate's harmonies are some of the most unique and best you'll ever hear - even if they go a bit off key.

by Anonymousreply 34May 15, 2021 1:19 PM

[quote]Cindy Wilson was also striking looking. She looked like a prettier version of Shelley Duvall.

Sometimes she reminds me of the Cartwright sisters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 15, 2021 1:36 PM

Don't call them a party band? They have some of the greatest party music of all time. In college, everyone got onto the dance floor the minute one of their records was played.

Maybe being in college already puts you in a niche that you can't see the outside of, but I never considered them a niche band.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 15, 2021 4:51 PM

They were really talented, but they decided to go very campy when they hired Schneider, and that made them popular but also made sure they would always be dismissed as too campy.

I enjoy them for what they were.

by Anonymousreply 37May 15, 2021 5:19 PM

Their praises have been sung.

by Anonymousreply 38May 15, 2021 5:21 PM

Cindy rockin' a Mondrian dress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 15, 2021 5:24 PM

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for me. Best music tp dance to ever. And a long career that built like REM's did. Classic, not kitsch.

by Anonymousreply 40May 15, 2021 5:27 PM

Just before getting famous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 15, 2021 5:47 PM

The guy who managed Talking Heads, Gary Kurfirst, also managed B52s, and he used some of the same tricks to develop them.

by Anonymousreply 42May 15, 2021 6:21 PM

Admitted Eldergay here, who rec'd his first B-52's album as a high school graduation present in 1980. I love this band. Have loved them since I was a teen.

I don't think they've ever been given the credit they deserve, but am pleased they actually had pop hits without completely giving up their unique sound and lyric sensibility.

I could never choose a favorite, but I l-o-v-e "Housework". There's no official video, so enjoy this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 15, 2021 7:13 PM

And for a more "recent" single, I think "Funplex" is everything the 2's represent... God, recent is 13 years ago!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 15, 2021 7:16 PM

My last "favorite" song of theirs was "Pump". Probably in my top 5 favorites.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 15, 2021 7:21 PM

Down a rabbit hole of videos... I forgot this tune until it popped up in youtube... "Song for a Future Generation" from WHAMMY!

Damn you DataLounge!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 15, 2021 7:28 PM

I think they did a lot of innovative things.

But their time of innovation is long gone, and the last really solid album they released was 30 years ago. They have coasted on fumes ever since.

Then again same for the GoGos and those whores just got into the RRHOF, so......

by Anonymousreply 47May 15, 2021 7:28 PM

R47 - please don't sit by me. ever. Cheers, thanks a lot!

by Anonymousreply 48May 16, 2021 5:48 AM

R26: That was one of my coming out songs, back when I was a "baby-gay". R30: Their first two albums, along with"Bouncing Off the Satellites" make me sigh for my youth.

by Anonymousreply 49May 16, 2021 7:18 AM

The mini-album they did with David Byrne was a bit of a mess, but I fucking love throwing shapes in the kitchen to this track.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 16, 2021 7:55 AM

I don’t know. Did they rob a bank or sumpin’?

by Anonymousreply 51May 16, 2021 8:16 AM

Funny you should say that [R51] - they wrote a song about robbing a bank

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 16, 2021 8:25 AM

I wouldn’t say no to a very messy Ryan Murphy biopic.

by Anonymousreply 53May 16, 2021 10:06 AM

[quote]the last really solid album they released was 30 years ago.

I thought Funplex was quite good. So a mere 15 years ago! Oh god I'm an eldergay.

by Anonymousreply 54May 16, 2021 1:36 PM

If anyone is interested, the book "Party Out Of Bounds" is a great read. Covers the Athens, GA music scene during that time, with lots of great first-hand accounts, including thr B52s first live performance at a house party. Wild!

by Anonymousreply 55May 16, 2021 5:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!