Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mamie Eisenhower after the White House

What did she do with her life afterwards, since she lived another twenty years? Was she furious when Jackie Kennedy re-did the White House after she left and made such a fuss about how poorly the place had been treated previously? Did she keep plying her charms on Ike in an effort to make him forget Kay Sommersby?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100June 5, 2021 12:21 PM

And most importantly, did she get rid of those hideous fucking bangs?

by Anonymousreply 1May 10, 2021 4:09 AM

We don’t really know much about her, do we? Maybe she had depths.

by Anonymousreply 2May 10, 2021 4:16 AM

How’s she doing dealing with this pandemic? She better not catch it and give it to Ike. He’s a national treasure!!

by Anonymousreply 3May 10, 2021 4:19 AM

Fun fact: Mrs Eisenhower was my gateway to DataLounge.

I googled her for some reason, and there was an extensive thread dedicated to her pointless bitchery, weird hair, and hideous food. I was hooked!

by Anonymousreply 4May 10, 2021 4:26 AM

At what point did she decide to have part of her head lopped off?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 10, 2021 4:53 AM

"I retired to Gettysburg with my devoted Colored footman Roscoe to work on my many charitable causes."

"Oh yes, and with...um...Ike too...of course Ike was there with us...I mean the President, of course. He was there too."

by Anonymousreply 6May 10, 2021 5:01 AM

After Ike died, she would specifically request no Negro Secret Service men. She believed they stole the silverware.

by Anonymousreply 7May 10, 2021 5:04 AM

She was a lovely woman, who often visited the area in which I grew up. There are still former shop assistants who speak of her fondly. Sadly, she died before I was born.

by Anonymousreply 8May 10, 2021 5:06 AM

I was a mere babe but people thought she was creepy. My parents thought Dwight was dumb and spent all his time on the golf course. They hated Nixon with the heat of a thousand suns.

by Anonymousreply 9May 10, 2021 5:07 AM

I think, after the White House, Mamie spent at least part of her time curating her collection of canned parsleyed potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 10May 10, 2021 5:12 AM

R9 Ike wasn't dumb by a long shot. Underestimated and folksy, perhaps, but he was not ignorant or unobservant man, despite his wife's bangs.

by Anonymousreply 11May 10, 2021 5:40 AM

Was Ike a DL daddy with a lover on the side?

by Anonymousreply 12May 10, 2021 6:27 AM

She sat on her ass, played bridge, drank and smoked like so many women of her generation did.

by Anonymousreply 13May 10, 2021 6:35 AM

R13, sat on her ass, played bridge, drank, smoked and made fudge. Don't forget about Mamie's famous "Million Dollar Fudge"!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 10, 2021 6:40 AM

This is not the definition of dumb. If you haven't seen this, give it a watch. It explains a whole lot of what is going on to this day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 10, 2021 6:48 AM

After 4 years of that lazy and stupid Slovenian whore. Every other First Lady gets my respect and admiration.

Fuck that trashy Streetwalker.

by Anonymousreply 16May 10, 2021 6:48 AM

Thanks for posting that, R15. I had heard of the speech for years but never listened. It’s eloquent and chillingly prescient. Only an ignoramus would think this man dumb. Quite the contrary.

by Anonymousreply 17May 10, 2021 4:04 PM

Only an ignoramus would think people are not well-acquainted with his "beware of the military industrial complex" speech.

Did you know who wrote it for him?

"President Eisenhower’s chief speechwriter was Malcolm Moos, a professor of political science at Johns Hopkins, a man of great charm and ambition, who also happened to be the city chairman of the Republican Party in Baltimore. He brought with him from his native Minnesota a moderate political caste that was not always popular in his party. (He would later become the President of the University of Minnesota.) "

by Anonymousreply 18May 10, 2021 4:44 PM

R18 And?

by Anonymousreply 19May 10, 2021 4:50 PM

She gave us ugly pink and blue bathrooms. Her only lasting legacy, is in the bathrooms of thousands of obsolete American homes.

by Anonymousreply 20May 10, 2021 4:52 PM

When I was younger, in the ‘60s & ‘70s, Eisenhower was a lowly-regarded president, while Wilson was considered among the greats. Interesting how the passage of time has altered the fortunes of these two administrations.

by Anonymousreply 21May 10, 2021 5:04 PM

Mamie's bedroom. This was after she left the White House. Pepto-Bismol pink was her favorite color.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 10, 2021 6:16 PM

R19 stung because he thought only he and his junior year high school class were aware of Eisenhower's signature speech.

by Anonymousreply 23May 10, 2021 6:56 PM

[quote]When I was younger, in the ‘60s & ‘70s, Eisenhower was a lowly-regarded president, while Wilson was considered among the greats. Interesting how the passage of time has altered the fortunes of these two administrations.

After Trump, even Millard Fillmore looks good.

by Anonymousreply 24May 10, 2021 7:02 PM

Woodrow Wilson is very problematic now!

by Anonymousreply 25May 10, 2021 7:03 PM

R23 stung because I indirectly called his hepcat parents ignoramuses.

by Anonymousreply 26May 10, 2021 7:10 PM

R26--too dumb to realize that was the prevailing view among Democrats at the time. Hepcats were a subsequent generation. In their minds, FDR was God.

by Anonymousreply 27May 10, 2021 7:13 PM

R27 all over the place with his incoherent retorts. Eisenhower wasn’t cool enough for your parents, we get it.

by Anonymousreply 28May 10, 2021 7:19 PM

She retired to the sleepy town of Gettysburg. Ike painted. The person above she sat on her ass and smoked is probably not far off. Probably a weekly outing with the ladies.

by Anonymousreply 29May 10, 2021 7:21 PM

Mamie was a smoker and a drinker, that's pretty well-known.

by Anonymousreply 30May 10, 2021 7:27 PM

[quote]Mamie's bedroom...

And how sporting of her to allow Ike to keep a painting of Kay Summersby over the fireplace.

by Anonymousreply 31May 10, 2021 7:28 PM

That DL Mamie thread was epic.

by Anonymousreply 32May 10, 2021 7:29 PM

Odd that they ended up in Gettysburg. Of all,places.

by Anonymousreply 33May 10, 2021 7:31 PM

She drank, watched soaps, and got fat!

by Anonymousreply 34May 10, 2021 7:35 PM

R4 or R32 You all have a link?

by Anonymousreply 35May 10, 2021 7:37 PM

To R30, as someone who loves to smoke and a drink, and has fondness for men with a take charge attitude, but with seemingly reasonable and loving side, sign me up for the Mamie School of Looks Not that Important School of Success.

by Anonymousreply 36May 10, 2021 7:38 PM

There have been may iconic Mamie threads on DL, often in connection with her cruel subjection of a post-partum Jackie to the rigors of a White House tour sans wheelchair.

by Anonymousreply 37May 10, 2021 7:42 PM

R33, why odd? Great military history there and Ike was a military man. They lived on a farm outside the town proper. Close enough to DC. Perfect really. They attended the Presbyterian church in the middle of town. Ike had never been baptized and although raised Quaker was not a member of any church. They had to get him baptized as some type of Protestant so they found some Presbyterian minister to do it ten days after he was sworn in.

by Anonymousreply 38May 10, 2021 7:45 PM

[quote]Don't forget about Mamie's famous "Million Dollar Fudge"!

That didn't originally start out in the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 39May 10, 2021 7:48 PM

Mamie is responsible for keeping Gettysburg liquor stores and wine shops in business.

by Anonymousreply 40May 10, 2021 7:52 PM

Mamie liked a tipple and a cig. Or twenty.

by Anonymousreply 41May 10, 2021 8:13 PM

I never understood why Mamie's Million Dollar Fudge took 24 hours to make until I read the original recipe.

by Anonymousreply 42May 10, 2021 8:18 PM

The absurdity of Eisenhower's speech on the "military-industrial complex" (which continues to own much of our political and economic lives) is that Eisenhower did nothing to circumvent the emerging cabal when he had a chance.

"Someone else's problem" was his and the GOP's approach for many issues, then as now. His health was terrible, of course, he was NOT on top of his game for periods of time, he gave Nixon his start while shitting on him pretty much the whole eight years, and killed the rail system the USA still needs. But in the full bloom of the postwar economy, he didn't have to do too much. And his stand on federal power versus states' rights on racial barriers helped maintain the movement into the 1960s. Although he was dodgy and quiet in a lot of ways.

And then there was the little Vietnam issue, and his administration's green light for the Bay of Pigs.

by Anonymousreply 43May 10, 2021 8:27 PM

There is no absurdity to his speech. It's clear that even as the President, he was aware of, but could not control the forces coming to the forefront. He makes it clear that it is the responsibility of every citizen to do what little they can to turn it around to what most people really want to see and live. It's all there in that speech.

He's saying it is a force that needs confronted, but it isn't going to be one person, regardless of their status. He's saying this as someone who was the President of the United States, knows it's an issue, and couldn't stop what he's seeing. It's a pretty important speech.

by Anonymousreply 44May 10, 2021 8:36 PM

God, I LOVE Mamie threads. Yas, kween!

by Anonymousreply 45May 10, 2021 9:56 PM

R44, definitely OT, but I look at what they spend on ONE Lockheed F-35 plane, and they’re planning on buying 3,000 of them, and I think, “how the hell do you stop this moving train?”

by Anonymousreply 46May 10, 2021 10:16 PM

R44, you're a contrarian or David Eisenhower.

If you read my post without your Eisenhower-Blow-Up Doll beckoning, you will not feel so turgid and moist over parsing and misunderstanding the single word, "absurdity," in my post. I'll wager I am more familiar with the context of the speech and its antecedents than you are.

If you'd quit wringing your hands, perhaps they wouldn't appear so raw and inflamed.

by Anonymousreply 47May 10, 2021 10:25 PM

She loved pink and also those dentist office green walls.

by Anonymousreply 48May 10, 2021 10:29 PM

I have not paid nearly enough attention to these threads over the years. I really appreciate this closer look at Mamie. And she certainly needs a closer look. The bangs. I know so much as been said already but, someone told her they looked good. That person must have really hated her.. Also her Gettysburg bedroom reminds me of my grandmothers bedroom. It has so many curtain layers. That old girl did not want anyone peaking in and seeing her no no. Can you even imagine?

by Anonymousreply 49May 11, 2021 3:25 AM

Lawd, dat white lady sho' do love gettin' fucked in da ass.

by Anonymousreply 50May 11, 2021 3:42 AM

Roscoe, you're used to taking a back entrance so it works out well for you.

by Anonymousreply 51May 11, 2021 3:43 AM

[quote]I never understood why Mamie's Million Dollar Fudge took 24 hours to make until I read the original recipe.

Well, it has to go through the digestive system first.

by Anonymousreply 52May 11, 2021 3:46 AM

She was a dipsomaniac.

by Anonymousreply 53May 11, 2021 3:47 AM

Not to mention a kleptomaniac, a pyromaniac, and a nymphomaniac!

by Anonymousreply 54May 11, 2021 4:50 AM

How did America endure 28 years of brutal First Lady ugliness (Eleanor, Bess, Mamie) before Jackie on Assistance came along?

by Anonymousreply 55May 11, 2021 5:06 AM

Jackie must've seemed like a Goddess from Mount Olympus after so many years of old matronly First Ladies.

by Anonymousreply 56May 11, 2021 5:08 AM

I have no idea, r55.

None of them were oil paintings like I was.

by Anonymousreply 57May 11, 2021 5:17 AM

Well, the bitch sure had enough supplies to last her for several years after she left the White House. There wasn’t a roll of toilet paper, ashtray, or even a fucking light bulb left when I came in. She even took the ice trays out of the refrigerators. All that was left was a smelly ass douche bag under the sink and some kind of homosexual body building magazine in one of Ike’s desk drawers.

Needless to say......she was a role model whose example I followed when I left the White House- except the homosexual magazine. I sent that to Nixon and told him to fuck himself silly.

by Anonymousreply 58May 11, 2021 5:24 AM

That tired old "Jackie on Assistance" thing has never been funny.

by Anonymousreply 59May 11, 2021 5:32 AM

Her iconic hairstyle was created for her by the stylists at Elizabeth Arden in New York. It was an impossible assignment and they did the best they could. Mamie's hair was brittle and frail and had begun to recede excessively in the front. That's why the bangs were created, to cover up what was basically a bald spot above her forehead. She never changed it because there just wasn't anything else anybody could come up with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60May 11, 2021 6:41 AM

I wonder why she just didn't have some quality wigs made.

by Anonymousreply 61May 11, 2021 6:45 AM

Was Mamie a trans lady? There is something vaguely masculine about her face.

by Anonymousreply 62May 11, 2021 6:48 AM

Young Mamie. You wouldn't know it was the same woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 11, 2021 6:52 AM

R63, is that Nicolas Fairford?

by Anonymousreply 64May 11, 2021 7:00 AM

[quote]She never changed it because there just wasn't anything else anybody could come up with.

Hats with veils?

Brown paper bag?

by Anonymousreply 65May 11, 2021 3:24 PM

I've seen the recipe and I'm still wondering why Mamie's million-dollar fudge takes 24 hours.

by Anonymousreply 66May 11, 2021 5:28 PM

[quote]I've seen the recipe and I'm still wondering why Mamie's million-dollar fudge takes 24 hours.

Because that's how long it took to go through the digestive tract before is was shat out all over Danny Thomas's face while he jacked off.

by Anonymousreply 67May 11, 2021 6:04 PM

Eleanor Roosevelt was around when Jackie was in the White House and no one had much of a clue about what cheating pigs their husbands were. In my Democratic home, Roosevelt was seen as one step away from sainthood and Jackie was the epitome of sophistication and glamour. Women copied her hair and pillbox hats. Mamie was relatively inconsequential but not hugely disliked. Pat Nixon was regarded as long-suffering even then.

by Anonymousreply 68May 12, 2021 1:40 AM

Poor Pat Nixon. I feel the most sorry for her of all the First Ladies.

by Anonymousreply 69May 12, 2021 1:43 AM

FDR and Eleanor stopped having physical relations after their last child was born. He had his affairs and she muff dived as much as she could and they were both happy as pigs in shit. They had an understanding and they were fine with it.

by Anonymousreply 70May 12, 2021 1:48 AM

[quote]He had his affairs and she muff dived as much as she could and they were both happy as pigs in shit.

You have quite the gift for a turn of phrase, R70.

by Anonymousreply 71May 12, 2021 1:50 AM

That's exactly how Edna St. Vincent Millay described them r71.

by Anonymousreply 72May 12, 2021 2:01 AM

So American are calling the grannies "Mamie" now? Just like the French people. Why are Americans so obsessed with the French language?

by Anonymousreply 73May 12, 2021 2:03 AM

WTF R73?

by Anonymousreply 74May 12, 2021 3:18 AM

When did she start caring for young Patrick? I never approved of Mamie's friendship with that actress who I've heard might be, well, you know, one of "the chosen people".

by Anonymousreply 75May 12, 2021 6:49 AM

Oh my god young Dwight was the fucking hotness. Those lips! Those bedroom eyes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76May 12, 2021 7:51 AM

Every Christmas I comb my hair to create a SEVERE line of front bangs, and then whip up a batch of Mamie Eisenhower’s “Million Dollar Fudge” (recipe posted above in this thread). It always turns out downright fabulous!

One thing the version of the recipe above leaves out is that you must STIR CONSTANTLY during the 6-minute boiling period.

The 24-hour completion time is actually because the fudge tastes even better after being kept overnight before consuming.

by Anonymousreply 77May 12, 2021 1:12 PM

R73 No. This is about one specific woman whose name was Mamie (MAY-mee).

by Anonymousreply 78May 12, 2021 2:09 PM

I'd just had a caesarean and the homely old cunt wouldn't get me a wheelchair for our walk around the house. Sadistic bitch

by Anonymousreply 79May 12, 2021 2:23 PM

Was Mamie a nymphomaniac?

by Anonymousreply 80May 15, 2021 10:56 AM

Mamie spent time in Spain with Erna to perfect her fudge recipe!

by Anonymousreply 81May 15, 2021 11:23 AM

If Sex and the City were rewritten to set it in DC with former First Ladies making up the cast, would Mamie have a part?

by Anonymousreply 82May 15, 2021 11:33 AM

What r69 said. And, imho, Pat Nixon was a pretty, if not beautiful, woman.

by Anonymousreply 83May 15, 2021 11:47 AM

Her fudge recipe was copied off the back of a jar of marshmallow cream. I've made it for years---foolproof but hardly original. Just one indication of her general phoniness and unlikable ordinariness, along with the parslied potatoes. Bess Truman was a more authentic battleax.

Eisenhower was a supreme egotist but kept that from the public. He was right about the military-industrial complex but did nothing to stop it. He also warned us about land wars in Asia yet sent advisors and impractical military gear like tanks to Vietnam, anyway. He delegated too much foreign policy to the Dulles brothers. His one saving grace was that he little use for Nixon (who was forced on him by the GOP establishment) and loved treating him like some inept junior officer.

by Anonymousreply 84May 15, 2021 11:59 AM

Wilson's administration had several good domestic policy accomplishments. Sorry about Woody's rancid racism though.

by Anonymousreply 85May 15, 2021 12:10 PM

The United States has had several good to great First Ladies, which is a really difficult undefined and non-paying job, and make no mistake, it's a job. Jackie, Lady Bird, Betty, Rosalyn, Hillary, Michele, etc.

Then there was the Slovenian-born spouse of the former guy.

by Anonymousreply 86May 15, 2021 12:21 PM

[quote]Was Mamie a nymphomaniac?

Are you kidding, R80? Nymphomania was her signature cause, like Barbara Bush and illiteracy or Michelle Obama and fat kids.

by Anonymousreply 87May 15, 2021 12:50 PM

She serviced ALL interested parties. The homeless in DC never had it so good!

by Anonymousreply 88May 15, 2021 1:24 PM

Did Ike ever do it with men?

by Anonymousreply 89May 15, 2021 1:28 PM

He pings to me too, R89.

by Anonymousreply 90May 15, 2021 4:27 PM

R81 — Mamie did all the fudge-cooking in Spain. Erna just packed it.

by Anonymousreply 91May 30, 2021 7:58 PM

Was Mamie bald? Was her hair just a bad wig?

by Anonymousreply 92June 5, 2021 10:25 AM

Mamie was not bald.

by Anonymousreply 93June 5, 2021 10:30 AM

"America can't stand pat."

Richard Nixon actually said this.

by Anonymousreply 94June 5, 2021 10:54 AM

There’s a great story told by the White House chief usher about Mamie putting ink in her nose instead of Vicks Vapor Rub. It was dark and she dipped her fingers in the ink well instead of the Vicks. The next morning Ike had ink all over him, Mamie had it on her and the headboard had to be reupholstered.

by Anonymousreply 95June 5, 2021 11:02 AM

Ike and mamie seemed to have a loving marriage unlike the other first couples

by Anonymousreply 96June 5, 2021 11:14 AM

Say what you want, but for one woman - a Mother - to do what Mamie did to Jacqueline - another woman and Mother - during that long, grueling tour of the Whitehouse is the very height of Mega Cuntitude! On that day, good ole Mamie cunted like no cunt had ever cunted before!

by Anonymousreply 97June 5, 2021 11:58 AM

R96: He'd raise a toast to her and then go off with his mistress.

by Anonymousreply 98June 5, 2021 12:00 PM

Ike was bi, his aide de camp blew him a few times a week.

by Anonymousreply 99June 5, 2021 12:16 PM

[quote]There’s a great story told by the White House chief usher.

The ushers during the Eisenhower era would never break protocol and repeat a story like that. Similar to Harry Truman destroying the headboard fucking Bess and having the sheepishly tell the Secret Service. I asked Truman's nephew on Bess' side of the family, who lived with the couple in the Independence MO family home, in a bedroom RIGHT ACROSS THE HALL if Harry and Bess did the nasty so loud.

He just rolled his eyes at me.

by Anonymousreply 100June 5, 2021 12:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!