Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anne Glenconner's "Lady in Waiting"

Just wondering who else has read it? I'm just starting it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 27, 2021 1:44 AM

I read the review this morning in the paper. It sounds an interesting book.

I always remember her doing an interview about when Margaret came to stay and she didn't know how to make a cup of tea or something.

by Anonymousreply 1May 9, 2021 1:38 AM

Great interview with her on Graham Norton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 9, 2021 1:42 AM

Just ordered it. Thanks OP.

by Anonymousreply 3May 9, 2021 1:55 AM

She looks great for being eleventy years old.

by Anonymousreply 4May 9, 2021 1:56 AM

Colin was always so butch, a disgrace to the family

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 9, 2021 3:35 AM

R5 Are you sure that's not Quentin Crisp? 🤣

by Anonymousreply 6May 9, 2021 7:57 AM

Nope, though a likeness to Quentin, definitely Stephen Tennant, youngest son of the First Baron Glenconner, who when asked by his father what he would like to be when he grew up. ‘I want to be a Great Beauty, Sir,’

Went on to become "the brightest of the Bright Young Things", one of the inspirations for Waugh's Sebastian Flyte, and lover of the poet Siegfried Sassoon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 9, 2021 12:34 PM

How fantastic R7!

by Anonymousreply 8May 9, 2021 1:00 PM

This book is FABULOUS!

by Anonymousreply 9May 9, 2021 4:30 PM

Just ordered it! Thanks for the recommendation, OP!

by Anonymousreply 10May 9, 2021 7:18 PM

Two thirds of the way through and some comments:

(1) This book definitely humanizes Princess Margaret. The author is very clear Mags was a handful, but she was also a very loyal person and kind to her. She feels Margaret was bitter for having her great gifts ignored, and being told, never asked, on so many points.

(2) Anne G was a huge doormat.

(3) The poor dear thinks she was an involved mother, but....not at all. Well, I guess it was that generation.

by Anonymousreply 11May 11, 2021 9:50 PM

She also mentions, with a scowl, the Ma'am Darling book, which evidently finds 99 ways to call Margaret a cunt, as well as a size queen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 11, 2021 10:55 PM

(3) The poor dear thinks she was an involved mother, but....not at all. Well, I guess it was that generation.

“'To lose one son, Baroness Glenconner , may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose two looks like carelessness.”

by Anonymousreply 13May 12, 2021 1:30 AM

Here is an interesting pic of THE Princess Margaret cunting it up at Tina Livanos Onassis Niarchos. Perhaps Tina told her that she could buy and sell Megs 20 times over to which Megs replied by spitting out the dirty word "COMMON!!!!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 12, 2021 1:51 AM

P Marg looks like Emily Blunt in that photo.

I’m reading it, I’m up to her debut. It seems that everyone knew everyone else. Engaged to “Johnny Spencer”. Queen Mary reminding her that good things come in small packages at Christmas. Flogging her mother’s pottery at age 17. Her grandmother was an early mistress of Edward, PoW. Did one of her Ogilvy cousins marry P Alexandra?

by Anonymousreply 15May 12, 2021 3:50 AM

The upper class are all inter married and know each other socially in the UK.

You'd be amazed at what alliances were formed by marriage.

by Anonymousreply 16May 12, 2021 9:55 AM

R16 which makes that line from Downton have a little more resonance....

"Are we to be friends?"

"We are to be allies, which ....." well, blah blah blah.

by Anonymousreply 17May 13, 2021 5:14 PM

Her husband Colin was fond of the Mandingo.

by Anonymousreply 18May 13, 2021 5:17 PM

The documentary on her husband "The Man Who Bought Mustique" is interesting; he seems like a totally vile human being.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 13, 2021 5:26 PM

Did Colin Tennant like cock?

He certainly seems like a dandy from what photos I've seen.

by Anonymousreply 20May 13, 2021 7:12 PM

R9 - I agree. The book is a fabulous read and an excellent inside look at the British aristocracy.

by Anonymousreply 21May 13, 2021 7:20 PM

The man on the right looks VERY homosexual .

by Anonymousreply 22May 13, 2021 7:27 PM

Because every thread on the late great Margot must reference...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 13, 2021 7:37 PM

I ordered it and look forward to reading it. Thanks so much for the recommendation.

by Anonymousreply 24May 13, 2021 8:45 PM

I’m at the part (mid-60s) where her oldest son has developed debilitating OCD but back then no one knew how to treat it. It’s so sad. Two dead boys, another brain damaged from an accident and two daughters

by Anonymousreply 25May 15, 2021 8:24 PM

I can't believe how patient she is with her husband, who is clearly a fucking loon (and probably a closet case to boot).

They were all worried about the crazy bloodline that hit the queen's cousins, but Colin was a nellie prisspot AND as bipolar as the day is long.

by Anonymousreply 26May 15, 2021 8:58 PM

Does she ever make that connection? He’s losing his temper and yelling and having screaming fits on airplanes but so far there’s no talk of medication/psychiatry/commitment to a mental hospital. She talks about accepting all that crap because he was fascinating and creative. In the end, he disinherits his grandchild who was due to get the St Lucia property. What a wanker.

by Anonymousreply 27May 15, 2021 9:25 PM

Read it. She was the ultimate doormat. I felt sorry for her.

by Anonymousreply 28May 15, 2021 10:08 PM

She had a rigid, distant father and her mother was very much a “make the best of it/ just get on with it/ no whinging” type. Nannies raised and disciplined the children, mother was for treats and fun things, father was not involved at all (except to express disapproval). As her husband had affairs, she had her own discreet one. It was such a different time, she must be amazed how much has changed in her lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 29May 16, 2021 3:14 PM

Margaret came to my school once. She was tiny and shrivelled brown. From afar I did not think she was remarkable at all - I was more struck by that she was accompanied by a man in military uniform with an actual sword swinging by his side (no idea who he was, any ideas?) Oh, and she was a big time chain smoker. She smoked in the staff room though no staff member was allowed to smoke there (in fact, that'd be illegal now). I think that must be a reason why she died relatively early.

by Anonymousreply 30May 16, 2021 3:20 PM

This clip really captures the sort of innocence/disconnect yet kindness of Lady Glenconner

(and relays a story from the book)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 16, 2021 11:35 PM

Oh, R30, did she smoke? I don't think that's ever been mentioned before. Thank you for this revelation, however completely unrelated to the thread.

by Anonymousreply 32May 17, 2021 12:07 PM

Glenconner's book is online for free reading.

by Anonymousreply 33May 17, 2021 12:21 PM

I'm OP of this thread and am now reading Elizabeth and Margaret by Andrew Morton. Not much new here, though some interesting tidbits here and there.

Lord Snowdon and Colin Tennant both seem so.....NELLIE

by Anonymousreply 34June 25, 2021 5:16 PM

My nephew Colin was so butch compared to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 25, 2021 5:23 PM

Seriously, I look at Tony Snowdon and see Paul Lynde.

by Anonymousreply 36June 25, 2021 5:49 PM

Supposedly Margo took pictures of three nude men on one of her trips to Mustique. Colin Tennant was one. I am not sure who the others were.

Though if that furry little stud Roddy was one, I'd love to see the photo.

by Anonymousreply 37June 25, 2021 7:11 PM

Ma'am!

by Anonymousreply 38June 26, 2021 7:27 PM

Tony Armstrong Jones was allegedly massively endowed and a much in demand fuck. He was a sexual omnivore and was happy to share his gifts, er, fluidly. He had an illegitimate daughter not only whilst involved with Margaret, but the baby was born after the engagement and shortly before the wedding. He appeared to calm down later in life in his second marriage.

Margaret smoked like a chimney and suffered the kind of ill health that her mother, sister, brother in law, seem to have so bewilderingly escaped.

They should have let her marry Townsend, just the way they should have let Charles marry Camilla.

by Anonymousreply 39June 26, 2021 7:50 PM

[quote] allegedly massively endowed and a much in demand fuck

He did have BDF and BDE. He was fucking BOTH the husband and wife of the couple where he impregnated the wife.

by Anonymousreply 40June 26, 2021 9:55 PM

Townsend was 16 years older than Margaret who was a teenager when they started seeing each other. When he did marry again at age 44, he married a 20 year old. So he did have a “type” or “that’s how things were done back then”.

by Anonymousreply 41June 27, 2021 12:13 AM

Captain Townsend.

DADDY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 27, 2021 1:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!