Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sarah Paulson faces backlash for allegedly wearing a fat suit for her latest role

The first photos of Sarah Paulson on-set of "Impeachment: American Crime Story" have surfaced online, sparking a major debate about representation and inclusivity in Hollywood.

The 46-year-old actress is set to star as Linda Tripp, a former White House employee, in the upcoming third season of the FX series. The latest instalment of the drama chronicles the impeachment trial of former U.S. President Bill Clinton and his relationship with Monica Lewinsky.

In the first photos of Paulson in character, some say she appears to be wearing a fat suit, which has left some questioning if the casting directors could have just hired "a fat actor" instead.

"Look, I love Sarah Paulson as much as the next girl, but putting skinny actresses in fat suits is dehumanizing," one person tweeted. "Hire a fat actor, ‘cause now you’re showing a bunch of people that they’re still not hireable for a role that’s supposed to represent them."

"Maybe they should hire actresses who fit the physicality of the person they're playing, instead of hiring all skinny actors and putting them in fatphobic fatsuits/padding? It's disgusting," another chimed in.

"This could have been a fat actor. This could have been their big breakout role," wrote YouTube star Kristin Chirico. This could have been their Golden Globe or their Emmy nod. This could have been their paid-off student loans or their first house. Instead, it's Sarah Paulson in a fat suit."

Despite the backlash, the show's creator and producer, Ryan Murphy, seemingly defended the casting choice at Thursday's premiere of FX's "Pose." Murphy said that Paulson had gained weight to take on the role.

"Sarah, particularly, really had been dedicated to that role and she wanted to do it naturally and she gained weight to play Linda Tripp," Murphy said in an interview with Entertainment Tonight. "And then, you know, you put the wig on her and it’s sort of an amazing thing she’s doing physically."

Murphy compared Paulson's dramatic transformation to Oscar-winning actor Christian Bale, who reportedly gained 40 pounds to play former U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney in the 2018 film "Vice."

"It’s very transformative. It reminds me a lot of what Christian Bale did a couple years ago — that sort of dedication,” Murphy continued. “We talked a lot about how she has to keep it up for many many months until it's done shooting, so it’s hard.”

Paulson joins actor Clive Owen as the former president, Edie Falco as Hillary Clinton and "Booksmart" star Beanie Feldstein as Lewinsky. The highly-anticipated series even includes Monica Lewinsky as producer, something Murphy said was vital to the show's storytelling.

"I’m very, very excited to have Monica Lewinsky’s version of what happened be put out there in the world, and I think that she’s earned the right to be able to tell her story, how she wants to tell it," Murphy said in an interview with Collider. "And I think her version of what happened and the facts will be very startling to people, and I think it’s important. I love and care for her as a person."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 1, 2021 11:29 PM

This whole project is a mess, it's nothing but revisionist history, is there anyone who isn't exhausted from hearing Lewinsky's side of the story constantly for decades now?

by Anonymousreply 1May 1, 2021 12:31 PM

Actors wear costumes and make-up and wigs. They are artists and portray a broad array of characters from all walks of life.

If you can't understand and accept that, you're an uneducated and culturally illiterate buffon. Sit down and shut up. Watch and listen until you learn something.

by Anonymousreply 2May 1, 2021 12:35 PM

She keeps changing her story to fit with the trends. Now instead of being a strong woman who goes after the man she wants, she's a timid victim who was groomed by a man in a position of power over her. I'm assuming that's the version this train wreck will be portraying.

by Anonymousreply 3May 1, 2021 12:35 PM

stay mad, fatties!

by Anonymousreply 4May 1, 2021 12:36 PM

BUT LIVED EXPERIENCE, R2!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5May 1, 2021 12:36 PM

Good. Cancel Courtney Cox and Friends next.

by Anonymousreply 6May 1, 2021 12:37 PM

[quote]you're an uneducated and culturally illiterate buffon

Wow.

by Anonymousreply 7May 1, 2021 12:38 PM

Shouldn’t all actors be cancelled? They play people they’re not, preventing the actual person from playing the part, which is LITERAL VIOLENCE.

by Anonymousreply 8May 1, 2021 12:38 PM

I thought John Goodman was going to take this role.

by Anonymousreply 9May 1, 2021 12:38 PM

We really need another ear and a draft. Only then will these snowflakes get a grip.

by Anonymousreply 10May 1, 2021 12:40 PM

Lol R9.

I love John Goodman's Linda Tripp!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 1, 2021 12:41 PM

[quote]Actors wear costumes and make-up and wigs.

Yes, and in our new woke reality, it's dehumanizing and non-inclusive.

by Anonymousreply 12May 1, 2021 12:42 PM

The backlash? Why is Murphy even responding to a few idiots on Twitter. SJWs are the Left’s Tea Party. They’ve allowed this monster to grow and grow and grow. They should have ignored them from the start.

by Anonymousreply 13May 1, 2021 12:42 PM

It is kind of odd that anorexic Sarah Paulson is playing a large woman.

by Anonymousreply 14May 1, 2021 12:42 PM

R11 That would be entertaining, which is not the point of a Ryan Murphy show.

by Anonymousreply 15May 1, 2021 1:01 PM

Good. I’ve tired of fivehead.

by Anonymousreply 16May 1, 2021 1:18 PM

[quote] Need another ear

Two isn't enough?

by Anonymousreply 17May 1, 2021 1:18 PM

Tsk, tsk, there are better way to humidify your cigars, Bill.

by Anonymousreply 18May 1, 2021 1:21 PM

I'm available!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 1, 2021 1:43 PM

I'm waiting to land my breakout role!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 1, 2021 1:57 PM

They should have a cattle call: "Must be fat. Not acting talent required."

by Anonymousreply 21May 1, 2021 3:19 PM

I am EXHAUSTED.

by Anonymousreply 22May 1, 2021 3:21 PM

I can't take the strain!

by Anonymousreply 23May 1, 2021 3:21 PM

Do you know how much it costs to reinforce the floor of a soundstage?

by Anonymousreply 24May 1, 2021 3:23 PM

The Never Ending Blowjob.

by Anonymousreply 25May 1, 2021 3:57 PM

[quote]"Maybe they should hire actresses who fit the physicality of the person they're playing

Exactly. This is as outrageous as 5' 6" Meryl playing 6' 2" Julia Child and wearing platform shoes.

by Anonymousreply 26May 1, 2021 4:15 PM

Most of the comments I saw on Twitter were of the "does she have to be in EVERYTHING he does?" variety.

by Anonymousreply 27May 1, 2021 4:16 PM

Yeah, he needs to use different actors. And he needs to be replaced with a better director/producer.

by Anonymousreply 28May 1, 2021 4:26 PM

You need to shut the fuck up....

by Anonymousreply 29May 1, 2021 5:57 PM

So, if I put on 500 pounds, can I demand that I be offered the role of Chris Christie in any biopic about him?

I almost said 'roll', but then I realized he'd fight me to the death for that.

Chrissy would demand that roll (and a dozen others, daily) just for himself, with both the dinner roll and his own rolls of fat slathered in butter as he lay on a New Jersey beach sunning his corpulent corpuscles. The biggest role of a lifetime.

But, then a crowd of fed-up New Jerseyites would roll him off the beach to function as a breakwater. (Might as well put that mass of fat ass to some positive use.)

Anyway, that's my thinking on this issue of fat roles. Or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 30May 1, 2021 6:36 PM

It seems like somebody is pressed about Miss Sarah.

Negative news items keep popping up about her every now and then trying to cancel her.

She's just minding her own business doing her work, why would anyone want to cause trouble for her?

by Anonymousreply 31May 1, 2021 6:39 PM

Am I the only one who's irked by Beanie Feldstein? She seems to just ride on her brother's coattails. Also, Holland Taylor could've been more convincing as Linda Tripp than her partner.

by Anonymousreply 32May 1, 2021 6:45 PM

Professional woke outrage is like professional mourning for overeducated, upper-middle class women without any marketable skills.

by Anonymousreply 33May 1, 2021 7:18 PM

Its nice to see there's a backlash. Things are changing in casting. This isnt an example where the show wouldn't have happened without Paulson's celebrity boosting the project... I dont blame her at all for taking the role.

The classiest thing she can do when discussing the backlash is to agree and talk about how quickly things are changing. and ultimately thats for the better because it provides opportunities for those who have traditionally been denied opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 34May 1, 2021 10:53 PM

R29 you seem really triggered, Ryan Murphy.

by Anonymousreply 35May 1, 2021 10:56 PM

Nope, just answering a fool who is telling a hugely successful producer what he should do. Just silly.

by Anonymousreply 36May 1, 2021 11:03 PM

God, the WOKE are so fucking stupid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 1, 2021 11:08 PM

R36 He's hugely successful at making mediocre, preachy shows with good set design that people watch because there's nothing else on.

You're obviously personally triggered by this because far worse has been said about him in every Ryan Murphy thread.

I understand you disagree 😘

by Anonymousreply 38May 1, 2021 11:13 PM

In the old days SP would have put on the weight for the role. Now with fat costumes there's no need. The woke are young, dumb, and incel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 1, 2021 11:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!