Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Weird places that some countries still own

Part of France includes Saint-Pierre and Miquelon, islands off the coast of Newfoundland in Canada.

When I finally make it to Newfoundland, I want to visit this area just to say "I went to France!" so I can troll travel snobs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104August 13, 2021 6:37 PM

Diego Garcia is still controlled by the U.K. Some weird weird shit goes on there.

by Anonymousreply 1April 29, 2021 10:49 AM

[quote] I want to visit this area just to say "I went to France!" so I can troll travel snobs.

funnygurl!

by Anonymousreply 2April 29, 2021 10:59 AM

The Malvinas.

Saint Helena.

Gibralter.

Northern Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 3April 29, 2021 11:06 AM

[quote]Gibralter.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 4April 29, 2021 12:10 PM

Alaska

Hawaii

Puerto Rico

Point Roberts, WA

Guam

by Anonymousreply 5April 29, 2021 12:10 PM

Why don't you just go to France, OP?

by Anonymousreply 6April 29, 2021 12:47 PM

The Falkland Islands

by Anonymousreply 7April 29, 2021 1:02 PM

Alaska and Hawaii immediately come to mind.

by Anonymousreply 8April 29, 2021 1:04 PM

French Guiana

by Anonymousreply 9April 29, 2021 1:14 PM

Until the late 1970s: The Canal Zone

by Anonymousreply 10April 29, 2021 1:15 PM

I'm familiar with St. Pierre et Miquelon. There's some amazing overproof rum available there that will knock you on your arse quicker than you can even imagine. Handle with care.

by Anonymousreply 11April 29, 2021 1:38 PM

R5 I have visited Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico.

by Anonymousreply 12April 29, 2021 1:39 PM

Given that not a single inhabitant calls them the Malvinas, or has done for about 200 years, your calling them that just seems sophomoric, R3.

by Anonymousreply 13April 29, 2021 1:44 PM

Chatham Islands, New Zealand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 29, 2021 1:45 PM

The problem right now is that the ferry is not running. My partner and I are in the Atlantic Bubble right now and were thinking of going to St. Pierre et Miquelon for a weeklong trip, but the lack of ferry connection makes it far more complicated. They do have a local airline Air St. Pierre that flies from Montreal to the island but I don't really want to leave the Atlantic Bubble just for what was originally planned to be a fun road trip.

by Anonymousreply 15April 29, 2021 1:46 PM

The Polynesian Island of Rapa Nui (Easter Island) is part of Chile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 29, 2021 1:47 PM

New Zealand has several of those weird dependencies in the Pacific: Niue, Tokelau, etc. And Australia has Norfolk Island (I think they even did a couple of episodes of HHI there.)

The one I really want to visit is Rapa Nui, which has just been mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 17April 29, 2021 1:47 PM

Greenland is still a territory of Denmark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 29, 2021 1:48 PM

Pretty much all of the major Pacific islands were colonized by European powers.

Hawaii (USA).

New Zealand, Cook Islands, Tonga (United Kingdom)

Tahiti (France)

Samoa (Germany and the US)

Rapa Nui (Chile)

Europeans all got a piece of the Pacific pie.

by Anonymousreply 19April 29, 2021 1:53 PM

Macau, China was a territory of Portugal until 1999.

It still has Portugese architecture and place names.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 29, 2021 1:56 PM

South Georgia (owned by the UK). Like the Falklands but even more desolate and hardly any permanent population.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 29, 2021 1:56 PM

Plus, all those Britsish Atlantic Ocean territories: St. Helena, Ascension Island, Tristan da Cunha.

by Anonymousreply 22April 29, 2021 2:00 PM

Ceuta.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 29, 2021 2:05 PM

Heard and McDonalds Islands are 2500 miles SW of Perth, owned by Australia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 29, 2021 2:08 PM

I have been to St Pierre! It's a strange but lovely place, definitely worth a visit. As r15 mentions, the road trip part of the journey is key. Gorgeous scenery. Late summer is the best time weather wise since it can still be extremely cold or even snowing until late May/early June.

by Anonymousreply 25April 29, 2021 2:10 PM

I find Jersey Island interesting.

Henry Cavill is from there.

It's right off the coast of France, but it's actually part of the UK.

I wonder how much French influence there is, on the inhabitants?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 29, 2021 2:12 PM

r26 Technically not "part of the UK," but owned by it.

by Anonymousreply 27April 29, 2021 3:25 PM

Are Jersey and Guernsey the same thing?

by Anonymousreply 28April 29, 2021 3:34 PM

OP this is how to become a world traveler without leaving your home country. Go to the capital of your home country and visit Embassy Row, most embassies are located near each other, each foreign embassy is technically sovereign territory of that country, want to visit Russia visit the Russian Embassy, visit 50 different embassies and presto you are a world traveler without leaving home.

It makes as much sense has traveling to and island near Canada and claiming you have been to France.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 29, 2021 3:52 PM

Don't have a cow, R28.

by Anonymousreply 30April 29, 2021 4:28 PM

R29 - another option is for him to go to EPCOT.

by Anonymousreply 31April 29, 2021 6:00 PM

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands - owned by Great Britain

by Anonymousreply 32April 29, 2021 6:03 PM

New Caledonia - France

by Anonymousreply 33April 29, 2021 6:04 PM

Reunion Island - France

by Anonymousreply 34April 29, 2021 6:05 PM

[quote]South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands - owned by Great Britain

"Great Britain" is not a country.

by Anonymousreply 35April 29, 2021 6:10 PM

[quote] Heard and McDonalds Islands

Johnny Depp eats Big Macs there.

by Anonymousreply 36April 29, 2021 6:32 PM

[quote] South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands - owned by Great Britain

Is there a North Georgia and a North Sandwich Islands?

by Anonymousreply 37April 29, 2021 7:40 PM

[quote] Heard and McDonalds Islands

[quote] Johnny Depp eats Big Macs there

Mayor McCheese is the highest elected leader there.

The travel guide also says to watch out for the Hamburglar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 29, 2021 7:43 PM

I'm originally from Europe and only recently have I found out that Italy has an exclave surrounded entirely by Switzerland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 29, 2021 7:46 PM

R29 That's an old wives' tale and false.

As the Foreign Affairs Manual states

"(1) Despite widespread popular belief, U.S. military installations abroad and U.S. diplomatic or consular facilities abroad are not part of the United States within the meaning of the 14th Amendment. A child born on the premises of such a facility is not born in the United States and does not acquire U.S. citizenship by reason of birth;

"(2) The status of diplomatic and consular premises arises from the rules of law relating to immunity from the prescriptive and enforcement jurisdiction of the receiving State; the premises are not part of the territory of the United States of America."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 29, 2021 7:54 PM

Kaliningrad - Russia

by Anonymousreply 41April 29, 2021 7:57 PM

R39 Enclaves aren't that rare. A few years ago NYT was running an interesting series on enclaves and other border anomalies.

by Anonymousreply 42April 29, 2021 8:03 PM

There's also the complicated autonomous status of the Åland Islands in Finland and Athos in Greece.

by Anonymousreply 43April 29, 2021 8:16 PM

United States

by Anonymousreply 44April 29, 2021 8:53 PM

Angle Inlet, Minnesota is adjacent to Canada but not the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 29, 2021 9:27 PM

Bouvet Island in the far southern Atlantic Ocean is nominally controlled by Norway.

by Anonymousreply 46April 29, 2021 9:30 PM

Point Roberts, Washington. When the border closed, they were stuck in their little enclave until the county started running ferries to the “mainland.”

by Anonymousreply 47April 29, 2021 9:32 PM

Ceuta and Melilla are Spanish enclaves in Morroco that Spain owns which is somewhat ironic considering how Spain bitches about the British owning Gibraltar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 29, 2021 10:22 PM

IT'S DIFFERENT! CEUTA AND MELILLA HAVE SOME PROXIMITY!

by Anonymousreply 49April 29, 2021 10:24 PM

I think, when things are better, I'll visit some of these exotic spots. I've been to Paradise, but I've never been to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 29, 2021 10:28 PM

There are quite a few people from St Pierre who have immigrated to Canada, especially to Nova Scotia. My best friend's grandmother is one of them. She's been in Canada for 65 years, yet still speaks with the Frenchiest of French accents you can imagine.

by Anonymousreply 51April 29, 2021 10:41 PM

Hawaii's been mentioned, but the strangest place there is "the forbidden island" of Ni'ihau. It's part of the state, but it was originally purchased by members of the Sinclair (Robinson) family from the Kingdom of Hawaii in 1864, and it's been passed down within the family since. It's off limits to all outsiders except except the Robinson family, their relatives, U.S. Navy personnel, government officials, and invited guests. The 2010 census showed 170 inhabitants, but witnesses put it more in the range of 35-50.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 30, 2021 1:20 AM

I never understood why the British made Turks and Caicos Islands a separate territory from the Bahamas. They are in the same island chain and just southeast of The Bahamas. The Bahamas became independent but Turks and Caicos Islands remains an overseas territory. Canada tried to get Turks and Caicos Islands be part of Canada twice. The Bahamas and Turks and Caicos Islands talked about joining together once but nothing became of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 30, 2021 1:33 AM

There are the Inner and Outer Badui villages on Java. With some effort you may be able to visit the Outer Badui villages but certainly not the Inner, where anything modern is forbidden.

Has anyone here managed a visit to the Outer villages?

by Anonymousreply 54April 30, 2021 2:11 AM

r44, how is the USA owned by England?

by Anonymousreply 55April 30, 2021 6:42 AM

When you think about it, with Saint Pierre and Miquelon, French Polynesia, French Guiana, Guadaloupe, Martinque, Réunion, Mayotte, etc., being parts of the French Republic, that makes France a transcontinental and transoceanic country. That also makes the EU a transcontinental, transoceanic union, not strictly European.

by Anonymousreply 56April 30, 2021 7:10 AM

No, it does make the EU "transcontinental" because those territories are not part of the EU.

Overseas Countries and Territories (OCTs) like those have a formal association with the EU, but "are neither part of the EU territory nor of the EU single market."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57April 30, 2021 8:36 AM

I've been to St. Pierre too. It's magical. But let's not kid ourselves. Adjacent Newfoundland is dirt poor. St. P ierre is not poor because France showers it with money. And it is a convenient base to try to break up Canada!

by Anonymousreply 58April 30, 2021 9:05 AM

This is a fascinating thread. I'm learning so much!

by Anonymousreply 59April 30, 2021 10:11 AM

Constantinople should be part Greece.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60April 30, 2021 10:14 AM

R57, because the overseas territories are integral parts of the French Republic, it has the largest Exclusive Economic Zone in the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61April 30, 2021 10:19 AM

Real travel snobs would not find having been to France that impressive.

by Anonymousreply 62April 30, 2021 10:21 AM

Note real estate parcels N1-N7, which are Dutch, surrounded by Belgian land, within the Dutch town of Baarle-Nassau.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63April 30, 2021 10:31 AM

The area around the Cook Monument on Kealakekua Bay, Island of Hawai'i was bought by Britain and is still maintained by the Royal Navy.

The Keeling-Cocos Islands is an Australian external territory located 2,750 kms northwest of Perth, WA. Annexed by the UK in 1857, it was transferred to the Australian Government in 1955. The islands were discovered by William Keeling in 1609, but it was John Cluny-Ross, who tripped over the place in 1825 and returned with his entire family, including mother-in-law, in 1827 to settle. For almost 100 years, the islands were nothing more than a Cluny-Ross fiefdom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64April 30, 2021 10:44 AM

There’s a terrific Simon Winchester book called OUTPOSTS where he travels to some of the distant reaches of what’s left of the British Empire.

by Anonymousreply 65April 30, 2021 10:58 AM

The tiny islands of Bonaire, Sint Eustasius, and Saba are part of The Netherlands. Curaçao and Aruba are independent countries which recognize the Dutch monarch as their figurehead of state. The King of The Netherlands is also The King of Aruba!

by Anonymousreply 66April 30, 2021 11:55 AM

Norfolk Island (Australia)

by Anonymousreply 67April 30, 2021 4:26 PM

Alaska American Virgin Islands, Samoa Mariana Islands ...

by Anonymousreply 68April 30, 2021 4:40 PM

R56, R57, French Guiana, Guadaloupe, Martinique, Réunion, and Mayotte are overseas departments of France, and have the same status as the departments of Metropolitan France. They are represented in the National Assembly, Senate, and Economic and Social Council, vote to elect members of the European Parliament (MEP), and also use the euro as their currency.

Saint Pierre and Miquelon, French Polynesia, etc., are overseas collectivities, and have a different relationship with France and the EU.

by Anonymousreply 69April 30, 2021 4:41 PM

Cabinda , Angola, severed from main country by a sliver of the DRC. Referred to as an exclave vs. an enclave

by Anonymousreply 70April 30, 2021 4:48 PM

My first trip to France was a vacation on St. Martin.

by Anonymousreply 71April 30, 2021 4:48 PM

Indeed it was, R71!

by Anonymousreply 72April 30, 2021 5:07 PM

Alaska and Hawaii are not [italic]owned[/italic] by the U.S.; they are as much a part of the U.S. as any other state. Suggesting that they are owned is like saying the Mississippi Valley states are owned because they were part of the Louisiana Purchase from France in 1803.

Guam, Puerto Rico and the American Virgin Islands are "owned," or (more accurately) controlled by the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 73April 30, 2021 5:29 PM

[quote] French Guiana, Guadaloupe, Martinique, Réunion, and Mayotte

Guadeloupe, not Guadaloupe.

by Anonymousreply 74April 30, 2021 5:33 PM

Clipperton Island, far off the coast of Mexico is still owned by France.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 30, 2021 7:36 PM

While Belize obtained independence in 1981, it's still a member of the British Commonwealth, and the "Queen of Belize" maintains troops there so that Guatemala doesn't get any crazy ideas about ignoring the treaty they signed and invade the place to take back what they think belongs to them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76April 30, 2021 8:25 PM

Sark, the smallest one of the Channel Islands, is the last remaining feudal fiefdom in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 77April 30, 2021 8:54 PM

Many countries have military bases in various other countries, but the US having control and jurisdiction of Guantanamo Bay on Cuba is one of the strangest.

by Anonymousreply 78April 30, 2021 9:04 PM

[quote]"Queen of Belize"

What about a queen NAMED "Belize?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79April 30, 2021 10:00 PM

Belize was once British Honduras, which lay several miles from Spanish Honduras and separated by Guatemala and the Gulf of Honduras.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80April 30, 2021 11:08 PM

R76 British Commonwealth?! Do you mean the Commonwealth, a grouping of most of the English speaking countries, excluding of course the USA but including Canada and the United Kingdom, coming to a total of 53 nation states, and not all are former British colonies? I know some of you are knocking on a bit but the British part was dropped in 1949.

by Anonymousreply 81April 30, 2021 11:14 PM

Guyana was once British Guiana, which lay betwixt Spanish Guiana and Dutch Guiana. East of Dutch Guiana was French Guiana, and east of that was Portuguese Guiana (or Brazilian Guiana). Portuguese Guiana was absorbed into Brazil (State of Amapá), Spanish Guiana was absorbed into Venezuela (Guayana Region), and Dutch Guiana became Suriname.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82April 30, 2021 11:32 PM

[quote] Belize was once British Honduras, which lay several miles from Spanish Honduras and separated by Guatemala and the Gulf of Honduras.

How interesting, R80.

I always wondered by Belize is an English speaking country surrounded by Spanish speaking countries.

Your map also shows that El Salvador used to be named "San Salvador," but now that name only refers to the capital city.

by Anonymousreply 83May 1, 2021 12:48 PM

Belize also has a ton of black people, which is unusual for Central America.

by Anonymousreply 84May 1, 2021 2:48 PM

[quote]Your map also shows that El Salvador used to be named "San Salvador," but now that name only refers to the capital city.

Didn't the Dominican Republic used to be called "Santo Domingo," the name of its capital city?

by Anonymousreply 85May 1, 2021 2:56 PM

Mostly uninhabited, the U.S. still owns/claims Howland Island (Amelia Earhart's destination when she disappeared), Baker Island, Jarvis Island, Kingman Reef, Johnston Atoll, Wake Island, Midway Atoll, Palmyra Atoll all in the Pacific Ocean.

Swains Island is part of American Samoa and claimed by Tokelau, a New Zealand dependency.

Navassa Island in the Caribbean is under U.S. jurisdiction but claimed by Haiti.

by Anonymousreply 86May 1, 2021 3:27 PM

[quote]Your map also shows that El Salvador used to be named "San Salvador," but now that name only refers to the capital city.

R83, Yes. Pedro de Alvarado originally named the place "San Salvador" (Holy Savior) as he set about conquering it for Christianity. It would take nearly 40 years to do so because the natives put up a good fight. San Salvador was later extended to "Provincia De Nuestro Señor Jesus Cristo, El Salvador Del Mundo" (Province of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Saviour of the World), which was shortened to just Republic of El Salvador upon independence.

[quote]Didn't the Dominican Republic used to be called "Santo Domingo," the name of its capital city?

R85, Yes. Its colonial name was Santo Domingo, which was changed to the Dominican Republic upon independence. However, the country was still called Santo Domingo among Anglophones until maybe the early 20th century.

by Anonymousreply 87May 1, 2021 4:38 PM

Now I REALLY want to go to Rapa Nui!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88May 7, 2021 9:04 PM

I had a boss who was an avid ham radio operator decades ago. He went on a popular trip to Navassa (among such people) specifically to broadcast from the location.

by Anonymousreply 89May 7, 2021 9:55 PM

A lot of the African Countries that did become Independent are now being conquered again by the emerging Chinese Empire without a shot being fired.

They just exploit the poverty and bribe their way in, it's very evident if you visit Sub-Saharan Africa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90May 7, 2021 10:19 PM

The ferry is running again and the people of Saint Pierre and Miquelon can visit Newfoundland again.

by Anonymousreply 91August 13, 2021 1:02 AM

[quote]Diego Garcia is still controlled by the U.K. Some weird weird shit goes on there.

Diego Garcia is my gardener. He's controlled by ME.

by Anonymousreply 92August 13, 2021 1:13 AM

[quote]Pretty much all of the major Pacific islands were colonized by European powers.

The US and Chile are "European powers"?

by Anonymousreply 93August 13, 2021 1:14 AM

R92 The Pacific was a bit too far for European sail boats, even Australia an New Zealand ended up being an expensive hobby for the UK.

by Anonymousreply 94August 13, 2021 1:36 AM

The U.S. maintains a military base on Diego Garcia, for "strategic" purposes.

The Galapagos are owned by Ecuador, a small country in its own right.

A friend from Belize uses Spanish as his first language. He says there are more Spanish speakers in Belize than English speakers,

I saw a program about Rapa Nui recently on one of those history/discovery channels. The men there are gorgeous! The man on the extreme left in the video in R88 shows bush. I'd take a vacation to Rapa Nui just to see him in person.

by Anonymousreply 95August 13, 2021 2:14 AM

Could I be the only Newfie datalounger? It’s always interesting to see views on the place. It’s funny how off base some of the stereotypes are.

by Anonymousreply 96August 13, 2021 2:39 AM

No b'y, R96.

by Anonymousreply 97August 13, 2021 2:42 AM

French Guiana is a part of the French Republic and a part of the European Union. They use the euro.

by Anonymousreply 98August 13, 2021 4:22 AM

The Kingdom of the Netherlands is made up of four countries -- the Netherlands, Aruba, Curaçao, and St Maarten.

by Anonymousreply 99August 13, 2021 6:43 AM

Hawai’i was an independent kingdom when American missionaries arranged for troops to imprison Queen Liliuokalani and lead an act of war in order to steal the land (Dole & Baldwin for ex).

They broke American laws not to mention the Hawai’ian laws and treaties. Hawai’ian people were treated as slave labor, forbidden from all native culture including hula, meme, Kapa (forced to wear American fabrics). The culture was nearly lost. The Hawai’ian language essentially disappeared since speaking and writing it was forbidden.

American imperialism at its worst.

And to reference recent threads about Christianity - what happened in Hawai’i has happened worldwide many, many times over centuries.

Great atrocities have been perpetrated because what they believe is forced on everyone. Stealing everything while subjecting others to their evil purposes. Isn’t religion wonderful?

As the late Christopher Hitchens wrote; “religion ruins everything”.

by Anonymousreply 100August 13, 2021 8:12 AM

One of the most recherché items in my music collection is THE ISLAND, a protest album about Diego Garcia by Miss Cleo Laine.

by Anonymousreply 101August 13, 2021 11:51 AM

China claims the entire South China Sea, even parts of it that are directly offshore of Brunei - nearly 1000 miles from Hainan island.

by Anonymousreply 102August 13, 2021 5:07 PM

R102, It is the WEST PHILIPPINE SEA, dammit!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103August 13, 2021 6:34 PM

We demand respect!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104August 13, 2021 6:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!