Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The two down-on-their-luck NY society ladies who lived in a run-down hotel

Anyone remember who they were?

by Anonymousreply 26September 18, 2023 9:22 PM

I want that to be me but scratch the second woman part.

by Anonymousreply 1April 24, 2021 4:53 PM

I remember something on DL about them. Not their names but they reminded me of the Beale's with their dysfunctional relationship.

by Anonymousreply 2April 24, 2021 4:53 PM

You mean the ABC sitcom with Dina Merril and Kitty Carlisle?

by Anonymousreply 3April 24, 2021 4:54 PM

They were in downtown LA not NYC, and they were more middle class than society, but one REALLY put on airs.

by Anonymousreply 4April 24, 2021 4:56 PM

Royce and Marilyn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 24, 2021 4:59 PM

Looks like a full on documentary was made.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 24, 2021 5:06 PM

That's them! THANKS!

by Anonymousreply 7April 24, 2021 5:51 PM

They and the Grey Garden ladies scare me.

Dear god. I guess as long as they’re happy it’s okay... but there’s something so embarrassingly naked about their... issues being on full display.

by Anonymousreply 8April 24, 2021 5:54 PM

They were both haughty pieces of shit

by Anonymousreply 9April 24, 2021 5:59 PM

Here's the definitive article about them.

Marilyn died in 2011 and Royce in 2012. They were both in their 80s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 24, 2021 6:15 PM

Watching it now. Royce's sex scandal from the 1950s was ... interesting.

by Anonymousreply 11October 28, 2022 4:51 AM

Marilyn was a housekeeper for some well-to-do families. I guess she saved her money so she'd be comfy in her twilight years. But here came Royce and she was dazzled by her style and glitzy tales. They lived it up for a couple years then ran out of money. That's when the documentarian found them.

by Anonymousreply 12October 28, 2022 5:16 AM

But did they end up facedown in a water tank?

by Anonymousreply 13October 28, 2022 5:18 AM

I knew three sisters, all baronesses, in Kips Bay nyc. They were lovely faded gentility.

by Anonymousreply 14October 28, 2022 5:18 AM

My mother’s friend’s sister-in-law is a Vegas countess (cuntess) who wears a tiara & dresses for dinner in full gown regalia, even though she looks like an old crone.

by Anonymousreply 15October 28, 2022 6:39 AM

It was sad seeing the contrast in Marilyn at the hotel vs. the nursing home. I wonder how she became estranged from her children.

by Anonymousreply 16October 28, 2022 6:52 AM

Royce's delusions and theatricality made her a great documentary subject, but I could tell she was probably a narcissistic nightmare in her prime.

by Anonymousreply 17October 28, 2022 8:27 AM

Royce sounded like a real character!

[quote] I'm used to elegance, elegance,” Royce says of downtown. “This is not my home, this is hell on earth! The noise of the helicopters and sirens day and night — oh, my gawd, you'd lose your mind!” There's more than a trace of Norma Desmond in the voice and the eyeliner, and listening to her makes an interviewer feel more than a little like Joe Gillis. “I'm a clothes person, a fashion person,” Royce will tell you as she sips a sauvignon blanc. “I was raised by rich, rich, elegant people who bought only the finest, everything made to order. You cannot handle anything else, as a woman — it is your life.”

by Anonymousreply 18October 28, 2022 8:33 AM

GOD on a WHEEL!

by Anonymousreply 19October 28, 2022 7:30 PM

Were Royce and Marilyn lezzers?

by Anonymousreply 20October 28, 2022 10:29 PM

Bumping this because I watched the 3-hour documentary this weekend and it truly is a work of art. Aside from how entertaining the two women are as themselves, the film provides a lens through which to think about how American culture has changed over the 20th Century and into the 21st, aging, society, and the extent through which people invent and embellish their histories. Are we who we want to be, especially if we can get people to believe it? There is a dignity in self-creation.

by Anonymousreply 21September 18, 2023 6:31 PM

Or not.

by Anonymousreply 22September 18, 2023 8:10 PM

[quote]They were both haughty pieces of shit.

I'm going to call my best friend tonight and lobby for side by side graves with this quote on a joint headstone.

by Anonymousreply 23September 18, 2023 9:06 PM

[quote]GOD on a WHEEL!

What does that actually mean? Urban dictionary points back to these two ladies. But no definition.

by Anonymousreply 24September 18, 2023 9:13 PM

R24 It's a modified "Christ on a cross." Interestingly, the wheel was a symbol for several pre-Christian Gods and Goddesses.

by Anonymousreply 25September 18, 2023 9:19 PM

Thanks R25!

by Anonymousreply 26September 18, 2023 9:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!