Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is Kristin Wiig SNL’s most successful alumnus?

She gets the big budget projects and she gets the prestige projects too.

by Anonymousreply 35April 24, 2021 6:47 PM

FFS

by Anonymousreply 1April 24, 2021 3:26 PM

I love Kristin but you must have no knowledge of SNL alum or movie history to think this.

by Anonymousreply 2April 24, 2021 3:32 PM

I would say Bill Murray or Adam Sandler. Maybe Will Ferrell.

Why does she have two consecutive “I”s in her name?

by Anonymousreply 3April 24, 2021 3:39 PM

I would imagine Eddie Murphy probably is the most successful. He’s made of 2 billion dollars for Hollywood with his movies.

by Anonymousreply 4April 24, 2021 3:41 PM

Also add Robert Downey Jr.

by Anonymousreply 5April 24, 2021 3:41 PM

Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, Gilda Radner, Eddie Murphy, Jon Lovitz, Phil Hartman....that's just a few off the top of my head that are were more successful than Kristen Wiig.

by Anonymousreply 6April 24, 2021 3:41 PM

R4, Sandler pics have grossed well over $3 billion.

by Anonymousreply 7April 24, 2021 3:46 PM

“Oooh and what are these... these are so purdy... I have to pick up some myself... HUHUHU”

by Anonymousreply 8April 24, 2021 3:47 PM

Mike Meyers - Hello. Wayne’s World, Austin Powers, Shrek...

by Anonymousreply 9April 24, 2021 3:47 PM

Eddie Murphy

by Anonymousreply 10April 24, 2021 3:49 PM

Hello?

by Anonymousreply 11April 24, 2021 3:50 PM

[quote]Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, Gilda Radner, Eddie Murphy, Jon Lovitz, Phil Hartman

Oh, really? What was Jon Lovitz’ WWII? What was Phil Hartman’s The Martian?

by Anonymousreply 12April 24, 2021 3:50 PM

Sorry R7. I spoke too soon. Eddie Murphy’s films have grossed 6.5 billion in the US/Canada and 6.7 Billion world wide. Those are numbers from five years ago.

by Anonymousreply 13April 24, 2021 3:50 PM

[quote] Is Kristin Wiig SNL’s most successful alumnus?

O, carus!

by Anonymousreply 14April 24, 2021 3:55 PM

I'd say that as of now, she's roughly on par with Chevy Chase's success in the 1970s, but who knows if she'll match his 1980s-era success. He had the National Lampoon, Three Amigos AND Fletch franchises going for him. His star rapidly faded nearly 30 years ago but for a while there he seemed unstoppable.

by Anonymousreply 15April 24, 2021 3:57 PM

Thanks r13, maybe it is Murphy then. Don’t know the numbers for Ferrell or Bill Murray.

by Anonymousreply 16April 24, 2021 4:00 PM

Eddie Murphy, Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi, Bill Murray, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Billy Crystal, Mike Myers, Adam Sandler, and Tina Fey have all been even more successful so far than Wiig.

by Anonymousreply 17April 24, 2021 4:02 PM

What about me? I show up at every awards show and come back to SNL at any given chance. Everybody LOVES me!

by Anonymousreply 18April 24, 2021 4:02 PM

Howard Shore has an Oscar, so there's that.

by Anonymousreply 19April 24, 2021 4:03 PM

Net worth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 24, 2021 4:06 PM

It's not after that horrible Wonder Woman 1984.

Sad thing, she was the "best" part of the movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 24, 2021 4:08 PM

Not sure if OP is trolling, or just a sweet summer child...

by Anonymousreply 22April 24, 2021 4:10 PM

“Kristin Wiig” and “most” would only appear together in a sentence that also includes “botched nose job”

by Anonymousreply 23April 24, 2021 4:18 PM

I never thought she was particularly talented. Very bland and her original characters mostly stunk. It pisses me off seeing all these SNL actors shoved in our faces when the mad tv alumni are a hundred times funnier.

by Anonymousreply 24April 24, 2021 4:27 PM

Is success measured only in dollars?

by Anonymousreply 25April 24, 2021 4:51 PM

R24 what happened to the madtv cast? Key and Peele went on to some level of success (Peele moreso with his horror films), as I suppose did Alex Borstein with family guy and Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, what what about Nicole Parker and Nicole Sullivan? Michael McDonald and Mo Collins? Bobby Lee?

by Anonymousreply 26April 24, 2021 5:05 PM

Second Place

2. Adam Sandler

> Time on SNL: 1991 – 1995

> Movies with a leading role: 30

> US box office success of movies with leading role: $2.1 billion

First Place

1. Eddie Murphy

> Time on SNL: 1980 – 1984

> Movies with a leading role: 40

> US box office success of movies with leading role: $3.5 billion

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 24, 2021 5:40 PM

OP is either Kristen Wiig or 12 years old.

by Anonymousreply 28April 24, 2021 5:44 PM

Kristen Wiig has shown the most skin of any SNL alum. I'm guessing Will Farrell comes in as first runner up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 24, 2021 6:07 PM

Adam Sandler is the #1 SNL alumnus. Twenty years of theatrical hit movies, still making more than $10 mil per movie on giant netflix deal, has produced literally dozens of other projects he's not starring in, and every few years does a critically acclaimed art house film with established or up and coming super talented filmmakers.

Mike Meyers, Chevy Chase, and Dan Aykroyd all had 15 year runs in big hits and continue to work as much as they like but lost the juice to get big projects off the ground on their own.

Kristin Wiig had one huge theatrical mega success and miraculously never starred in a single wide theatrical release after. Only supporting parts in studio films, lead roles in indies that didn't crack $1 mil in ticket sales (even though THE SKELETON TWINS is terrific), animation voice work.....

Barb and Star go to Vista Del Mar wasn't even produced by a major studio. It would have been her first wide theatrical release but it was being released by Lionsgate which is a sign the studios weren't interested. Lionsgate also has a shitty marketing department and an incredibly high failure rate outside of their few franchises.

by Anonymousreply 30April 24, 2021 6:20 PM

Murphy was HUGE back in the day. He wasn't smart though. He should have moved to capture a greater piece of the financial pie re his films. Tragic that he only has 160 million. He was HUUUUUGE!

by Anonymousreply 31April 24, 2021 6:25 PM

It’s just be clear to everyone that Eddie Murphy is the answer

by Anonymousreply 32April 24, 2021 6:35 PM

Kristin Wiig was funny but has become totally overexposed. She needs to get a new manager because she's been in so many obscure comedy films or box office bombs when she is the leading star. As long as she gets a six-figure or more paycheck, she'll take it. If the film bombs, not her problem.

And she's so typecast as the zany wacky character that when you do see her in a serious role, it's not believable, which explains the limits of her acting talents.

by Anonymousreply 33April 24, 2021 6:39 PM

In terms of SNL alums from the past 20 years or so, yes, she's been one of the more successful ones, but it's odd how few SNL cast members have been able to spin off into solid careers as of late. The show hasn't been very funny for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 34April 24, 2021 6:41 PM

[quote]Murphy was HUGE back in the day. He wasn't smart though. He should have moved to capture a greater piece of the financial pie re his films. Tragic that he only has 160 million. He was HUUUUUGE!

Back in the Day? I think we tend to forget Eddie Murphy did the voice of the Donkey for Shrek which is the billion dollar gift that keeps on giving. I don't think he is doing too shabby. And out of ALL of the SNL alums his combined films have grossed the most. Even without adjusting for inflation, his film's grosses far surpass his colleagues. Adjusted for inflation, there is absolutely no comparison.

by Anonymousreply 35April 24, 2021 6:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!