Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Angie from Gimme A Break!

I loved Angie as much as Nell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 25, 2021 7:32 AM

I loved her too. Telma Hopkins was great, too, but I wish they had kept Angie for the remainder of the show, especially the shitty last season.

by Anonymousreply 1April 23, 2021 11:39 PM

Angie had a sister too. Jackie I think? Also dimwitted. She was in the episode when Nell buys a car from Addie, which was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 2April 24, 2021 12:05 AM

Lol just watched the link I remember it from 40 years ago!

by Anonymousreply 3April 24, 2021 12:25 AM

Did someone mention Angie?

by Anonymousreply 4April 24, 2021 12:39 AM

Yes, but this is Thin Angie.

by Anonymousreply 5April 24, 2021 12:57 AM

I am like Angie.

by Anonymousreply 6April 24, 2021 2:48 PM

I LOVE ANGIE!!! She was talented.

And the Gimme A Break theme song was awesome....... the Background singers!!!! Would love to see the recording session for that one!

by Anonymousreply 7April 24, 2021 3:11 PM

I’m watching season 1 now.

by Anonymousreply 8April 24, 2021 3:23 PM

I wish the actress had gotten more parts. She was attractive and had good comic timing esp for 80s era comedy.

by Anonymousreply 9April 24, 2021 5:40 PM

Which version R7?

by Anonymousreply 10April 24, 2021 6:45 PM

John Hoyt: Gay or not a gay?

by Anonymousreply 11April 24, 2021 11:48 PM

[QUOTE]Which version [R7]?

I like all the versions though my comment was in reference to the one used in the Angie episode above linked above (which I think was the original version).

When they moved to NY I think there was less RnB to it but too lazy now to look it up.

by Anonymousreply 12April 25, 2021 3:19 AM

OK R10 you inspired me to go listen to all of them. Luckily soneone put them all together on youtube.

First let me say, Nell Carter sure could sing!!! I love all the versions, but Season 2 is probably the best.

Season 1 and 2 are the classic but in Season 2 she add some little runs ("to the to-oh-oh-opp!") and the really added more gospel background vocals behind her!

Seasons 3-6 are basically the same revised version with 80s synths.drum machines but a funky beat. I like it too but Season 2 tops it for classic gospel inflected 80s pop theme song

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 25, 2021 4:02 AM

Angie was great.

It was a good move to redo the theme song. The first version was terrible. The dun-dun-dun-dun intro sounded like, "A great big fat woman is going to come lumbering out now."

The second, which began with the '80s synths, was classic.

I don't think they even showed the first version of the intro in late '80s and '90s syndication.

by Anonymousreply 14April 25, 2021 4:08 AM

It was bold of them to end the series with an episode when Addie began displaying symptoms of late-stage HIV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 25, 2021 4:24 AM

I had forgotten about Angie.

My friend dated a girl who had a voice like hers, and for years we referred to her as "Hi Nell"

by Anonymousreply 16April 25, 2021 4:28 AM

R11, Howard Morton always pinged to me. Never thought about John Hoyt.

by Anonymousreply 17April 25, 2021 4:42 AM

Did someone say Angie?

by Anonymousreply 18April 25, 2021 7:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!