Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Has Anyone Found A Commercial Spaghetti Sauce That's Halfway Decent?

I've tried Muir Glen, which was recommended, and didn't find it anything special.

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 74April 23, 2021 2:44 PM

Rao's is the only I will touch, if I can't have mom's.

by Anonymousreply 1April 22, 2021 3:32 PM

Correct. Rao's is hands down the best store bought sauce on the market. The Arriabiata especially.

by Anonymousreply 2April 22, 2021 3:41 PM

3 for Rao’s.

by Anonymousreply 3April 22, 2021 3:59 PM

Make your own. It's easy.

by Anonymousreply 4April 22, 2021 4:15 PM

Another for Rao's.

by Anonymousreply 5April 22, 2021 4:18 PM

I don't find any bottled sauce very good, Rao's included.

The only exception was Giada De Laurentiis's. It was unbelievably fresh tasting and half the price of Rao's.

But they stopped making it.

I'm making pasta tonight but will make my own tomato sauce. It's really very easy and much better than the stuff in bottles.

by Anonymousreply 6April 22, 2021 4:18 PM

Rao's and i like Paul Newmans Sockarooni

by Anonymousreply 7April 22, 2021 4:21 PM

Victoria marinara is a close second to Rao's and is more cost effective.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 22, 2021 4:45 PM

Paul Newman's marinara is great. I add a little sugar for my taste.

by Anonymousreply 9April 22, 2021 4:47 PM

Hunt's

by Anonymousreply 10April 22, 2021 4:48 PM

Rao's is excellent. A more affordable option I really like is Albertsons (Shaw's, Acme, Safeway, Lucky and many more) O Organics pasta sauce. Private label, great quality, competitive price.

by Anonymousreply 11April 22, 2021 5:17 PM

Rao’s - I haven’t eaten a jarred meat sauce since I was little (the idea is kind of gross to me) but I tried theirs and it was really good! It has been sold out every time I’ve tried to rebuy it.

by Anonymousreply 12April 22, 2021 5:33 PM

Victoria Marinara Sauce, I actually prefer it over Rao's to be honest. It's the closest tasting to what my Italian grandparents would make when they gardened and canned.

Rao's isn't bad at all though. They're both relatively pricey, but I noticed Target, of all places, sells Rao's a couple bucks cheaper than the grocery stores do.

by Anonymousreply 13April 22, 2021 5:35 PM

R8 That Victoria label is interesting.

[quote]Italian & diced tomatoes

Does that mean the diced tomatoes are not Italian?

[quote]Imported olive oil

From WHERE? And I find this particularly troubling because American olive oil is almost always better than Italian. Italian olive oil is often mostly canola.

[quote]Natural ingredient to maintain texture

Pig shit is a natural ingredient.

by Anonymousreply 14April 22, 2021 5:42 PM

you have to make your own - like soup.

by Anonymousreply 15April 22, 2021 5:44 PM

Ragu. And I drain my pasta too.

by Anonymousreply 16April 22, 2021 5:45 PM

[quote]Make your own. It's easy.

Then give us a damn recipe bitch!

by Anonymousreply 17April 22, 2021 5:49 PM

[quote] And I drain my pasta too.

But the critical question is, do you rinse it?

by Anonymousreply 18April 22, 2021 8:03 PM

Rao's is about as good as it gets for a mass-marketed jarred sauce. For a few dollars less, Classico Riserva is also decent. Like Rao's, it doesn't have any added sugar.

I still like to make my own Bolognese sauce from scratch, but for a simple marinara, Rao's is about 90% as good as mine.

by Anonymousreply 19April 22, 2021 8:29 PM

Rao's. Then Marzetti as backup. Avoid any jarred sauce that has tomato puree as the first ingredient on the label.

by Anonymousreply 20April 22, 2021 9:04 PM

Rao's is the gold standard. And it goes on sale sometimes. I stocked up at Sprouts when they were having a buy one-get one free sale.

by Anonymousreply 21April 22, 2021 11:44 PM

Take any one and add chopped fresh parley and cook it a bit. All sauces improve. I like Fairways store brand myself.

by Anonymousreply 22April 23, 2021 12:09 AM

[quote] Italian olive oil is often mostly canola.

Absurd.

by Anonymousreply 23April 23, 2021 12:11 AM

Trader Joe’s has surprisingly wonderful sauces.

by Anonymousreply 24April 23, 2021 12:18 AM

R23 Most of Italian olive oil is fake. Whether it's canola or another I do not know. It's a mafia thing.

by Anonymousreply 25April 23, 2021 1:08 AM

R1 and everyone who said Rao's is right. It's the closest to my homemade I've ever found. It's made with all real and quality ingredients. I only like the marinara one though.

by Anonymousreply 26April 23, 2021 1:24 AM

Rao's

by Anonymousreply 27April 23, 2021 1:26 AM

Rao’s.

by Anonymousreply 28April 23, 2021 1:32 AM

I've heard that some of Rao's other stuff, like their soups and frozen food, aren't that great.

by Anonymousreply 29April 23, 2021 1:34 AM

I've tried Raos.

by Anonymousreply 30April 23, 2021 1:37 AM

I found one I like called Monte Pollino. Italian made. They often have it at Marshals etc and I’ll buy them out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 23, 2021 1:39 AM

I avoid bottled sauce. I have not been impressed with Roa's.

by Anonymousreply 32April 23, 2021 1:44 AM

R42, try Rao’s. That Rao’s is garbage.

Seriously, though. Rao’s is one of the few that isn’t loaded with sugar.

by Anonymousreply 33April 23, 2021 1:49 AM

[quote]Most of Italian olive oil is fake. Whether it's canola or another I do not know. It's a mafia thing.

Absolutely not true. There was a scandal a few years ago with a few importers. Italy cracked down severely.

Like 100% California olive oil 100% Italian is expensive.

Read the labels, most olive found in supermarkets are a mix of oils from different countries, including the less expensive line from a major California brand.

Personally I buy a 100% Californian which is very good. I just think it's dumb to buy imported stuff when perfectly good products are available in the States and that includes tomatoes too.

But there is nothing that I have found as splendid as the best Italian oils. I lived there for many years. Have friends with an oil company. Worked designing for another. I know Italian olive oil.

by Anonymousreply 34April 23, 2021 1:55 AM

I'd suggest you head over to the refrigerated section, and see if your market carries Buitoni. They make marinara, alfredo, and pesto.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 23, 2021 1:56 AM

I made linguine & meatballs tonight. It included a very simple tomato sauce I made from scratch. It's very easy to make, doesn't require a long time cooking, but is very robust.

Here is the recipe for the sauce:

In a medium bowl, mix:

10 ounces -- pound of low-fat grass-fed ground beef. 1 ounce of panko breadcrumbs 1 large egg 2 T grated Parmesan 1/2 t finely grated garlic 3/4 t of salt a few grinds of black pepper

Form into 8 balls.

Put 2T of oil (not olive, as it burns) in cast iron skillet. Turn meatballs until all brown. About 4 minutes. Transfer to plate Then add to skillet:

One can of whole peeled tomatoes you've run a sharp knife through. Glen Muir Organic is much better than Italian. 1/2 t finely grated garlic 2 T tomato paste 1.5 t of organic Italian spice mix 1 pinch of cane sugar 1/2 C of the starchy/salty water used to cook the pasta Salt/Pepper

Add back meatballs. Bring to boil. Reduce sauce. About 4 minutes. Stir in shredded basil leaves.

Drain pasta. Put back in same saucepan. Mix with California olive oil. And several spoons of the tomato sauce.

Ladle sauce and meatballs over pasta. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and Italian parsley.

by Anonymousreply 36April 23, 2021 1:57 AM

Rao's relationship with trump and the MAGAs is stomach-churning. I'd pour dollar store discount-bin ketchup over my rinsed pasta and like it before giving one red dime to Rao's.

by Anonymousreply 37April 23, 2021 1:58 AM

^MAGAts

by Anonymousreply 38April 23, 2021 2:00 AM

Good rule of thumb: NEVER trust Italian food labels, especially olive oil.

If you want REAL extra virgin olive oil, only buy American or Australian.

Most of "Italian" olive oil is shipped in cargo ships to Italy from Spain and then repackaged to it can say "Italian."

And, yes, the Mafia cuts even that with cheaper oils.

by Anonymousreply 39April 23, 2021 2:00 AM

[quote]Rao's relationship with trump and the MAGAs is stomach-churning.

What is your source for this?

by Anonymousreply 40April 23, 2021 2:01 AM

Classico is my favorite among the reasonably priced.

by Anonymousreply 41April 23, 2021 2:02 AM

Rao's is better than homemade, and I learned how to make it in Ravello. Lidia's is also excellent and, in fact, her dried pasta is some of the best I have tried on the market. It's a little hard to find though.

by Anonymousreply 42April 23, 2021 2:03 AM

[quote]Rao's is better than homemade

What a hilariously middle-class thing to say.

by Anonymousreply 43April 23, 2021 2:05 AM

Wegmans is surprisingly decent, it’s cheap and has little or no sugar in it.

by Anonymousreply 44April 23, 2021 2:12 AM

Ragu.

by Anonymousreply 45April 23, 2021 2:12 AM

[quote]Good rule of thumb: NEVER trust Italian food labels, especially olive oil.

You don't know what you are talking about:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 23, 2021 2:20 AM

R46 Keep eating that trash you buy, hun. You'll have the last laugh on me!

by Anonymousreply 47April 23, 2021 2:22 AM

Cooks Illustrated: best supermarket oils:

"Our top two choices are California Olive Ranch Destination Series Everyday Extra Virgin Olive Oil and BERTOLLI Extra Virgin Olive Oil"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 23, 2021 2:23 AM

I usually make my own, using canned tomatoes (RedGold), but I always keep several jars of Classico in the pantry for the times I just want something quick and easy (and tasty). I like their Spicy Tomato and Basil. I've enjoyed Rao's as well, but it's pretty pricey. I love making my own sauce from scratch, so that I can produce distinctive tastes like Julia Child's Provencal tomato sauce. You have to have the ingredients on hand, but it's an example of how easy it can be to make your own sauce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 23, 2021 2:24 AM

R46 None of those Italian olive oils are the Italian olive oils that most people buy.

The biggest selling Italian olive oils ARE trash.

Yes, you can buy some great boutique Italian olive oils, but, as a general rule, it is best to avoid Italian olive oil if you want real olive oil.

by Anonymousreply 50April 23, 2021 2:25 AM

I am a big fan of marinara sauce and have probably trued them all, from mainstream brands to expensive ones like Rao’s. I recently tried Lidia’s and found it to be underwhelming to say the least, watery and bland. Most commercial sauces have way too much sodium, I think it’s more suitable to taste buds ruined by fast food palates.

If it wasn’t for the sodium content, Mezzeta Spicy marinara sauce would be my first choice. Just the right tomato-olive oil richness. But man, all you taste after that initial tomato blast is sodium. I buy it if it’s on sale but I have to mix it with Sprouts’ no-salt marinara sauce to take the salty edge off.

IMO, Silver Palate’s low sodium marinara sauce is as close to perfection as non-homemade sauce is concerned. It’s not super expensive nor is it cheap, but quality-wise and taste-wise I’d put it over the more expensive brands. I always stock up when it’s on sale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51April 23, 2021 2:25 AM

[quote]Our top two choices are California Olive Ranch Destination Series

What was interesting with California Olive Ranch is that for all of last year their labels changed and the olives were from South America and Europe.

I don't know if there was a shortage or the price of California olives got too high. But it was deceptive marketing.

I stopped buying it until they went back to 100% California olives.

by Anonymousreply 52April 23, 2021 2:27 AM

[quote]None of those Italian olive oils are the Italian olive oils that most people buy.

Not true.

Bertolli is a major and popular brand.

See also NYMag, NY chef's choose their favorites.

For lowest price in bulk it's Kitkland an Italian produced blend.

For the finest It's Italian too.

California and Italy rate highest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 23, 2021 2:34 AM

R52 California Ranch has split their line into two series: 100% Californian and "global blend".

by Anonymousreply 54April 23, 2021 2:38 AM

R53 Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 55April 23, 2021 2:45 AM

[quote]Victoria Marinara Sauce, I actually prefer it over Rao's to be honest. It's the closest tasting to what my Italian grandparents would make when they gardened and canned.

I was going to post, Victoria is one of the worst commercial sauces. It's way too acidic. I purchased it twice, I tried to give it a second chance, it's just plain odd tasting.

I grew up with several excellent Italian cooks, most made their own homemade sauce, Victoria sure didn't compare with any of my relatives amazing sauce recipes. One aunt made manicotti from scratch, I'm used to great food.

by Anonymousreply 56April 23, 2021 2:47 AM

R43 you may think you're a snob but you are clueless. The quality of ingredients and preparation in Rao's is better than many people's homemade sauces. That is a fact. It's not based on class you bourgeois cunt.

by Anonymousreply 57April 23, 2021 2:50 AM

[quote]The quality of ingredients and preparation in Rao's is better than many people's homemade sauces.

That is probably true, as most people are horrendous cooks.

But to say that is it is better than homemade (by someone who knows what they are doing) makes you sound like a rube.

by Anonymousreply 58April 23, 2021 3:01 AM

R57 thinks that Chef Boyardee out of a can is better than any pasta at any restaurant in Italy.

by Anonymousreply 59April 23, 2021 3:04 AM

Great Value brand, add some spices, done.

by Anonymousreply 60April 23, 2021 3:43 AM

My favorite is Terlato Kitchens Pomodoro and Arrabiatta.

by Anonymousreply 61April 23, 2021 4:35 AM

Rao’s definitely. But I’ve read this is even better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62April 23, 2021 4:48 AM

Michael’s Of Brooklyn is pretty good. Though also kind of expensive, a la Rao’s.

by Anonymousreply 63April 23, 2021 4:53 AM

Ina's marinara was just wonderful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64April 23, 2021 5:42 AM

Ragu (ducking for cover) I add garlic and a pinch of sugar to it.

by Anonymousreply 65April 23, 2021 5:44 AM

In my experience, there has never been any commercial sauce to which I have not needed to add tomato paste as thickener, as well as other additions. To me, they're nothing but glorified bases to make into a passable sauce, and it's been years since I've bought any. An ordinary can of tomato sauce from Walmart can be improved to make a better sauce than any of the commercial sauces, stand-alone.

I use minced garlic from a jar in the fridge (I know - horrors!), a small diced white onion, diced bell pepper, sweated in a small amount of olive oil (I'm not particular as to the brand; I have a big bottle of Sam's Club Members Mark EVO that I'm working off of). ) To this gets added tomato sauce, water, a small amount of beef broth concentrate, some dried basil, oregano, and thyme; a couple dashes of black pepper (or use an Italian Spices preparation). Simmer on low heat, and thicken with a can of tomato paste. Stir in about half a cup of grated Parmesan cheese (yes, that pre-grated shit by Kraft will do just fine).

This is the basic pasta sauce which can be taken any direction - add ground beef browned with granulated garlic powder to make an easy meat sauce, or drop in meatballs baked in the oven, homemade or frozen store-bought. As I get older, more and more shortcuts of this kind are gradually becoming acceptable to me. The results seem to be just as good, and I have no complaints from friends who partake.

by Anonymousreply 66April 23, 2021 6:28 AM

Best super- easy sauce (really - there are only 3 ingredients) is Marcella Hazan's classic.

IIRC, the recipe is - 28 Oz diced canned tomatoes (San Marzano ideal; I use whatever I grab in my pantry - 5 tbsp butter 1 good-sized yellow/sweet onion, cut in half

Salt to taste; will vary depending on whether you use salted butter

Stick it all in a pot. Cook it for a while (to boil then turn down, like for every sauce).. Remove onion. You're done. And it is fantastic.

Sometimes I chop/separate the onion into smaller (but still large) pieces and keep it in the sauce, because I love onions.

I've made it with onion powder (and added garlic powder, too), and it was still awesome.

If you search Marcella hazan and NY times and sauce, you should find the actual recipe quickly, if you want more detail.

by Anonymousreply 67April 23, 2021 6:49 AM

Rao's Alfredo sauce is really good as well. Most jarred Alfredo sauces have odd, strong flavors other than cream and cheese, like heavy pepper or even garlic.

by Anonymousreply 68April 23, 2021 7:47 AM

I do like the Trader Joe's marinara in the green can. It's a nice starting point if I'm unable to cook from scratch. I will add wine, parsley, etc. to suit whatever I plan on cooking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69April 23, 2021 8:09 AM

Some people are super tasters. I think I am an under taster. I just don't have the visceral reactions to foods that so many people do.

I use Classico because it tastes good to me, the ingredients are few and there's no added sugar.

I find Ragu and Prego disgustingly sweet. I don't understand sugary tomato sauces. I also don't know how people can stomach Papa John's pizza, which is loaded with molasses.

by Anonymousreply 70April 23, 2021 8:18 AM

Rao's.

But Michael's of Brooklyn, as someone above mentioned, is also very good. Simple ingredients. Not found in most stores, and it's a distinctively fat 32-ounce shaped jar unlike the others which are usually 24 ounces.

Rao's is on sale fairly often for $5.99, sometimes 4.99 (?) instead of $7.99 to $8.99, whether at Stop & Shop and even Whole Foods Market.

However, Michaels is so rarely on sale. They have marinara, a basil version and I think Putenesca (sp?). It sells for $8.99 and even $9.99 per jar. Recently, Whole Foods Market had it on sale for $6.99! Couldn't believe it. I bought several jars, of course.

I think Rao's is $7.99 at Wegmans?

by Anonymousreply 71April 23, 2021 8:34 AM

Rao's mushroom and green pepper is my favorite if I don't make my own.

by Anonymousreply 72April 23, 2021 9:51 AM

R70 Totally agree. I experiment with bottle sauces (hey, it’s quick and easy) and mainly choose them by sugar content. Adding sugar to Ragu and especially Prego? You might as well just pour syrup over your pasta. I once ordered a Papa Johns and couldn’t eat a single piece of that vile suggary, soggy bread.

by Anonymousreply 73April 23, 2021 11:18 AM

[quote] Mix with California olive oil.

The horror! Never EVER put oil on cooked pasta, unless you're going to use it in a cold salad and need to keep the pieces separated. It prevents the sauce from clinging to it.

by Anonymousreply 74April 23, 2021 2:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!