Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Vincent Price

Vincent Price was born in St. Louis, MO, and was raised in a wealthy home by his father, Vincent, the president of a candy company, and his mother, Marguerite. Price received the best education, attending the private St. Louis Country Day School before earning bachelor degrees in history and language from Yale.

He began to dabble in performing, particularly in Gilbert and Sullivan operettas. Price moved on to the University of London, where he studied history and studied art. During this time, Price began to perform on stage professionally and made his stage debut “Chicago” at the Gate Theatre in Dublin. In 1935, he performed Prince Regent in the “Victoria Regina,” which made its way across the Atlantic for a triumphant performance on Broadway.

Price’s success on stage soon led to a film career, starting with his debut in “Service De Luxe” (1938) and graduating to more prominent parts such as Raleigh in the costume drama “The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex” (1939).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66December 30, 2021 4:46 PM

When did he start sucking cock?

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2021 2:29 AM

Nothing here about Vincent's gay life.

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2021 2:30 AM

Did any of the eldergays here know him?

by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2021 3:04 AM

He was married to Coral Browne

by Anonymousreply 4April 15, 2021 4:43 AM

Young Vincent

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2021 4:48 AM

His mother... MARG YOUR REET!

by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2021 5:04 AM

Who here had him?

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2021 5:05 AM

My favorite trivia item was that he hauled horse shit in the trunk of his Mercedes for his garden.

by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2021 5:15 AM

He spent a lot of time in London, and was a regular at the City Of Quebec pub in Marble Arch. It’s well known as a venue for older gay men and their admirers, i.e it’s heaving with rent boys.

by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2021 5:58 AM

He met Coral Browne on Theatre of Blood, which they are remaking.

I love Coral Browne. She was fantastic in An Englishman Abroad.

by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2021 6:18 AM

I'm waiting for some sensible man too bring forth a SHRED of evidence or a credible anecdote!

I don't want to hear more lame, third-hand gossip which has fallen from the back of a truck or found in a Donald Spoto muck-raker!

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2021 6:52 AM

That’s a nice picture of him at r5.

by Anonymousreply 12April 15, 2021 6:57 AM

He’s been dead 27 years, R11. Are you goofy?

by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2021 6:58 AM

Coral Browne was the biggest dyke in the British theater. Their marriage was made in heaven.

by Anonymousreply 14April 15, 2021 11:09 AM

Was her first husband gay then?

by Anonymousreply 15April 15, 2021 4:00 PM

It was always known that Vincent and Coral had probably the happiest lavender marriage in Hollywood. They truly adored each other while living in separate wings of their house. Their daughter, sweet thing, still insists they were straight.

by Anonymousreply 16April 15, 2021 6:42 PM

I thought his daughter said he was bi

by Anonymousreply 17April 15, 2021 6:46 PM

The daughter did say Vincent was bi. He was quite a dish in his youth. I'd have loved to fuck him. Seems like he'd have a good sense of humor during sex.

by Anonymousreply 18April 15, 2021 6:50 PM

And he was featured on THRILLER.

by Anonymousreply 19April 15, 2021 6:54 PM

A friend of mine who lived in NY in the 50's said he ran into Price at an art gallery and they toured the exhibition commenting on the various pieces, he said Price was a bit flirty but nothing came of it, just an enjoyable afternoon in a gallery.

by Anonymousreply 20April 15, 2021 6:59 PM

From his first two marriages, Price had a son and a daughter. He didn't have any children with Coral Browne.

"Price married three times. His first marriage was in 1938 to former actress Edith Barrett; they had one son, the poet and columnist Vincent Barrett Price. Edith and Price divorced in 1948. Price married Mary Grant in 1949, and they had a daughter, the inspirational speaker Victoria Price on April 27, 1962, naming her after Price's first major success in the play Victoria Regina. The marriage lasted until 1973.

He married Australian actress Coral Browne in 1974, who appeared as one of his victims in Theatre of Blood (1973). The marriage lasted until her death in 1991.

His daughter's biography Vincent Price: A Daughter's Biography (1999) details Price's early anti-Semitism and initial admiration for Adolf Hitler. According to his daughter: "When he went to Germany and Austria as a young man he was struck by a lot of things going on during the Weimar Republic and the disillusion of the empire... So when Hitler came into power, instead of seeing him as a dangerous force, he was sort of swept up in this whole idea that Hitler was going to bring German pride back." However, Price became a liberal after becoming friends with New York Intellectuals such as Dorothy Parker and Lillian Hellman in the 1930s, so much so that he was "greylisted" under McCarthyism in the 1950s, for having been a pre-war "premature anti-Nazi" and, after being unable to find work for a year, agreed to requests by the FBI that he sign a "secret oath" in order to save his career.

Price denounced racial and religious prejudice as a form of poison at the end of an episode of The Saint, which aired on NBC Radio on July 30, 1950, claiming that Americans must actively fight against it because racial and religious prejudice within the United States fuels support for the nation's enemies. He was later appointed to the Indian Arts and Crafts Board under the Dwight D. Eisenhower administration; he called the appointment "kind of a surprise, since I am a Democrat."

He was supportive of his daughter when she came out as a lesbian, and he was critical of Anita Bryant's anti-gay-rights campaign in the 1970s. He was an honorary board member of PFLAG and among the first celebrities to appear in public service announcements discussing AIDS.

His daughter has said that she is "as close to certain as I can be that my dad had physically intimate relationships with men."

by Anonymousreply 21April 15, 2021 7:00 PM

"He began to dabble"

You bet your ASS he began to dabble!

by Anonymousreply 22April 15, 2021 8:45 PM

That's cool that he was openly supportive of gays, a lot of older stars weren't (even the ones who were gay themselves)

by Anonymousreply 23April 15, 2021 8:52 PM

Tnere is absolutely NO evidence that they are remaking ToB, R10. Are you sthe.same ass who stated that they were in another thread?

by Anonymousreply 24April 15, 2021 9:15 PM

I thought Dame Judi had been booked for the Coral Browne role?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 15, 2021 11:08 PM

He’s a member of my fraternity. When we tell undergrads about him, they say “Who?”

by Anonymousreply 26April 15, 2021 11:16 PM

I love Vincent Price and would have enjoyed fucking him at Yale, on in Pre War London or Berlin.

by Anonymousreply 27April 15, 2021 11:24 PM

That photo of him when he was young makes him look dishy. Must be the lighting.

by Anonymousreply 28April 15, 2021 11:30 PM

I greatly enjoy the reruns of "The Dick Cavett Show." They're quite educational to me since I was not raised in the U.S.

Dick Cavett interviewed Vincent Price and Price pinged in a very elegant and refined manner. He seemed like he was a lovely gentleman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 15, 2021 11:42 PM

I only knew him as an "old man" playing horror roles. There's a whole side of him I never knew existed.

by Anonymousreply 30April 27, 2021 2:08 PM

He's really a terrific actor, one of the good ones that's able to take weak material and make it enjoyable! He made a damn good living out of that for forty or fifty years, taking low-budget schlock and making it fun, because who else could do the same?

Tell me, does anyone know if all those Hammer films were as fun to make as they were to watch? Making the things in a week and throwing any damn thing on screen could have been a blast, or a misery. Anyone know which?

by Anonymousreply 31April 27, 2021 6:18 PM

He is my favorite actor. I have a first edition of his cookbook which I cherish. In addition to being a fine chef, he was also an accomplished artist and did a series of paintings for Sears, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 32April 27, 2021 6:43 PM

[quote]—Helen Lawson, still stung by his rejection

Coral rejected you too--didn't she, dear?

by Anonymousreply 33April 27, 2021 6:57 PM

Love what he did with his dialogue in Theatre of Blood. So arch and campy (“Another critical miscalculation on your part, dear boy.”) I love it for his take on Shakespeare’s villains and others. My parents had a date night and left me babysitting at home—-they talked about how gruesome and funny it was. I couldn’t wait to see it one day. And I have, so many times. His Dr. Phibes was masterful as he dubs himself, never moves his lips, and “delivers” with his eyes. Phibes was the highest camp in the most glamorous presentation a mad serial killer could ever have.

by Anonymousreply 34April 27, 2021 7:05 PM

R32 Here is an episode of The Snoop Sisters, with Vincent Price, and he cooks lunch for Mildred Natwick, who is a very funny drunk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 27, 2021 7:06 PM

I find him adorable in his early film roles.

Something about him has aged really well. I can't explain it, other than to say I could see the 1940s version of him hosting SNL in 2021 (minus the accent) and he wouldn't seem dated at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 29, 2021 9:36 AM

Never liked the over the top camping around and absurd accent.

by Anonymousreply 37December 29, 2021 9:43 AM

He spoke at my high school in the early 1980s. I briefly chatted with him - we started talking about theatre and to my surprise, he wasn't a fan of Sweeney Todd. (This is back when it was a new musical). One other thing not mentioned: he was a very tall man, easily 6'4".

by Anonymousreply 38December 29, 2021 9:50 AM

My favourite story about Coral Browne- She was in the food hall at Harrods, and was being served by a very obsequious assistant. Please note that fancy department stores in 60s London required their staff to speak like this.

Assistant: “What would Modom’s pleasure be?”

Coral: “Modom’s pleasure would be a good hard fuck, but a pound of grapes will have to do”.

by Anonymousreply 39December 29, 2021 10:03 AM

Price with Hammer horror buddies Peter Cushing, John Carradine and Christopher Lee...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 29, 2021 10:09 AM

Did he say why he wasn't a fan of Sweeney Todd? Aaron Copland didn't like it either which rather stung Sondheim.

by Anonymousreply 41December 29, 2021 10:17 AM

R22 wins! I'm too lazy to find the advert right this moment, but Vincent also did some for Sears' carpet and linoleum. I'll try to find it.

by Anonymousreply 42December 29, 2021 10:20 AM

Well, that wasn't hard...here it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 29, 2021 10:22 AM

He also had an amazing, huge Motorhome, and was pictured serving a roast Turkey dinner in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 29, 2021 10:35 AM

He just exudes sexuality to me

by Anonymousreply 45December 29, 2021 10:39 AM

Well he doesn't at all to me. He's very good in Song of Bernadette but then everybody is.

by Anonymousreply 46December 29, 2021 10:42 AM

Part of a very enjoyable acid trip was spent watching The Abominable Dr. Phibes

by Anonymousreply 47December 29, 2021 10:46 AM

Vincent Price made a pass at me. We met at a fundraiser. He said something to the effect of, "Ah to be ten years younger." I replied "Ten????". (I was in my 30s. He would have been early 70s.) He burst out laughing. We talked for a while an exchanged phone numbers, but nothing more came of it.

by Anonymousreply 48December 29, 2021 10:48 AM

Cause he only dabbled, R48.

by Anonymousreply 49December 29, 2021 11:02 AM

[quote] only knew him as an "old man" playing horror roles. There's a whole side of him I never knew existed.

The same here, r30. I only knew him from his schlocky horror appearances in the '70s. What a fascinating life. extraordinary for his time. And prophetic.

[Quote]Price denounced racial and religious prejudice as a form of poison at the end of an episode of The Saint, which aired on NBC Radio on July 30, 1950, claiming that Americans must actively fight against it because racial and religious prejudice within the United States fuels support for the nation's enemies.

by Anonymousreply 50December 29, 2021 11:10 AM

His former wife Mary was once a friend of mine's landlady in Boston.

He told me if she had a few drinks in her, the stories would spill.

by Anonymousreply 51December 29, 2021 11:14 AM

So I did read on DL he converted to Catholicism to please his (foul mouthed lesbian) Catholic wife. Since he was twice divorced I don't know how all that worked out, especially with the gay sex dabbling. But the DL mentioned they attended the Brompton Oratory when in London. It is a beautiful church. My preference is for the Jesuit parish there as it hosts the gay group. The Oratory is a bit homophobic although grand queens go there.

by Anonymousreply 52December 29, 2021 11:18 AM

It's not often mentioned in association with Vincent Price, but the movie Dragonwyck is a pure camp classic. I think TCM said this was the role in which he moved from conventional leading man type roles (he was nothing special) to horror/creepy types that he played to the hilt. He seemed like a genuinely lovely man willing to make fun of himself & his campy roles.

by Anonymousreply 53December 29, 2021 11:19 AM

Tallulah once led Vincent into her bedroom where husband John Emery was still sleeping.

She lifted the covers and watched as Vincent orally serviced Emery's large cock.

by Anonymousreply 54December 29, 2021 11:19 AM

Hot r54

by Anonymousreply 55December 29, 2021 11:24 AM

He seems like the kind of guy who loves sex and knows he's good at it

by Anonymousreply 56December 29, 2021 11:33 AM

i aspire to age as gracefully as he did.

by Anonymousreply 57December 29, 2021 11:34 AM

Me too r57

by Anonymousreply 58December 29, 2021 1:23 PM

I think he has BDF

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 29, 2021 3:15 PM

Wasn't he one of Melissa Rivers' godfathers?

by Anonymousreply 60December 29, 2021 3:22 PM

With Tallulah watching even asleep that would be a dick wilter.

by Anonymousreply 61December 29, 2021 3:26 PM

I first saw Vincent Price in a Canadian children's show called "House of Frightenstein" which was a fantastic educational show set in a spooky castle. It was from the early 70s, but ran on reruns thru the 1980s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 29, 2021 3:32 PM

I love it r62!

by Anonymousreply 63December 29, 2021 8:41 PM

A handsome, charming, elegant and talented actor, IMO. Always with that underlying sense of the campy absurdity of all things superficial. I always admired his film work in and outside of the horror genre.

by Anonymousreply 64December 30, 2021 1:48 AM

I had no idea he was an art lover and had a background in art history.

by Anonymousreply 65December 30, 2021 3:44 PM

Major pussy hound. Big Bush supporter.

by Anonymousreply 66December 30, 2021 4:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!