Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

John Lithgow on Finding Your Roots

This one was full of DRAMA!

Juicy stuff first: He's related to several famous people, apparently through his Puritan/Mayflower ancestor William Bradford: Julia Child, Alec Baldwin, Thomas Pynchon, Clint Eastwood and yes, the legendary Sally Field!

Oh, and Henry Louis Gates himself (through Gates' European ancestry)!

It also had some very nice info about Lithgow's parents....he had quite an interesting upbringing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 15, 2021 6:06 PM

Roberta!

by Anonymousreply 1April 14, 2021 6:06 PM

Every episode is really interesting. When I read who is on I always think this episode will be a dud and it ends up being great. I think Mr. Gates must be gay, he seems to favor gay guests.

by Anonymousreply 2April 14, 2021 6:21 PM

John Lithgow's autobiography (Drama; an Actor's Education) is a wonderful read. Besides his picaresque childhood with his father who was one of the last traveling "actor-managers" of the American theater, he frankly discusses his extra-marital affair with Liv Ullman when they co-starred on Broadway in ANNA CHRISTIE, as well as other juicy bits. I've worked with him a couple of times, he's the sweetest and smartest actor in the world.

by Anonymousreply 3April 14, 2021 6:32 PM

i know wrong thread, but for the life of me , esp when John Lithgow was everywhere at his peak, i just couldn't stand him. Maybe because my 1st exposure was World According to Garp and couldn't shake the imagery.

by Anonymousreply 4April 14, 2021 6:36 PM

I've liked him in almost everything but I never liked 3rd Rock. Everyone in it seemed to be paying their mortgage.

by Anonymousreply 5April 14, 2021 6:42 PM

I tried 3rd Rock too and never laughed.

When he was on "The Crown" Sally called him "As good as it gets". I guess they are very distant cousins.

by Anonymousreply 6April 14, 2021 6:56 PM

[quote] i know wrong thread, but for the life of me , esp when John Lithgow was everywhere at his peak, i just couldn't stand him. Maybe because my 1st exposure was World According to Garp and couldn't shake the imagery

I felt the same way. But after Garp, he played a bunch of asshole characters

He played a religious asshole in Not in Front of the Children (1982)

He played a religious asshole minister in Footloose (1984)

He played an evil criminal in Ricochet (1991)

He played a twisted evil Dr in Raising Cain (1992)

He played a psychotic terrorist in Cliffhanger (1993)

He played a super racist senator in The Tuskegee Airmen (1995)

He played a crime lord in Hollow Point (1996)

He played a biased judge in A Civil Action (1996)

He got Third Rock from the Sun in 1996

by Anonymousreply 7April 14, 2021 7:56 PM

He was brilliant in THE CROWN as Sir Winston Churchill. He really looks nothing like Churchill, especially his body, which is long and lean but his portrayal was masterful.

by Anonymousreply 8April 14, 2021 8:45 PM

It was magnificent. I only "saw" Churchill.

Some of his scenes with Claire Foy were just breathtakingly wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 9April 14, 2021 8:48 PM

I watched that one. Couldn't stand Hinojosa.

by Anonymousreply 10April 14, 2021 11:57 PM

That is the second time Gates found a guest who was related to him.

Through his father's side, Gates is related to Norah O'Donnell (!)

The Norah O Donnell / Nancy Pelosi episode was really good (but lost in the shuffle as it aired right near the insurrection and inauguration....bitches were busy with other things!)

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2021 12:01 AM

With that much hair loss I think he found them quite easily.

by Anonymousreply 12April 15, 2021 12:42 AM

He was a poopy-face in Obsession, r7.

by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2021 1:41 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 15, 2021 4:31 PM

I enjoy watching "Finding Your Roots," but I wish Henry Louis Gates would pull some average person off the street and research that person's ancestry. A little tired of what celebrity descends from a person on the Mayflower; what celebrity's parent was born on the other side of the sheets, what celebrity's ancestor was a slave owner...

by Anonymousreply 15April 15, 2021 5:52 PM

R15 Many people have said similar.

There is in fact a show called A New Leaf on NBC that does something along those lines, but it's terrible, because they take about 5 minutes of content and stretch it out to 30.

There was also a show on PBS that was like the Genealogy Detective or something and that was better. More interesting.

by Anonymousreply 16April 15, 2021 6:00 PM

My ancestor was not a slave owner!

by Anonymousreply 17April 15, 2021 6:00 PM

Fucking Ben Affleck. Almost ruined the show and Gates' reputation because he wanted that to be edited out.

by Anonymousreply 18April 15, 2021 6:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!