Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Regé-Jean Page don’t return for season 2 of Bridgerton

I guess the Bond talk is real.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 7, 2021 12:25 AM

ugh.

by Anonymousreply 1April 2, 2021 4:35 PM

I want him inside of me.

by Anonymousreply 2April 2, 2021 4:37 PM

It was always constructed as a short-term role.

News of the duke’s departure will likely not come as a surprise to fans of the Julia Quinn novels on which the series is based, as the character’s storyline largely plays out in the first book “The Duke and I.” And the news certainly did not come as a shock to the star.

In fact, the short-term commitment was a big part of the role’s appeal, Page tells Variety exclusively.

“It’s a one-season arc. It’s going to have a beginning, middle, end – give us a year,” Page says, recounting early conversations with Shondaland producers, who approached him about the role of Simon after “For the People” wrapped up. “[I thought] ‘That’s interesting,’ because then it felt like a limited series. I get to come in, I get to contribute my bit and then the Bridgerton family rolls on.”

by Anonymousreply 3April 2, 2021 4:39 PM

In isolation, it makes perfect sense.

His character does not figure heavily in the remaining books. Each book focuses on the love life of one of the eponymous siblings. In some ways, trying to shoehorn the character and actor into the show because he's popular would be ridiculous. They couldn't write him a meaningful role once the focus shifts to another sibling.

However, don't you get the feeling that he's pulling a Heigl?

by Anonymousreply 4April 2, 2021 4:49 PM

It’s DeuxMoi so take it for what it’s worth

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 2, 2021 5:50 PM

I could see that R5.

Granted, yes. Season 2 won't focus on his character and he only had a one season contract.

I could see them asking him to pop up a couple of times to establish that, while the story isn't focusing on his character and his character's relationship, he's still there somewhere but I don't blame him.

If he does have offers lined up, he won't have to block off time to make a brief appearance.

For his sake I hope that's the case and NOT that he's "hoping" he'll be busy during the production of the next season.

You don't want to cross Shondaland.

by Anonymousreply 6April 2, 2021 5:58 PM

It’s pointed out on DL comments that Bond actors have to forgo all commitments in order to accept the role.

by Anonymousreply 7April 2, 2021 6:00 PM

Idris Elba is the next James Bond.

by Anonymousreply 8April 2, 2021 6:03 PM

I'd much rather that he'd be Black Superman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 2, 2021 6:22 PM

[quote]It’s pointed out on DL comments that Bond actors have to forgo all commitments in order to accept the role.

That is the accepted DL wisdom. It's certainly why Joe Manganiello couldn't be the next bond.

However, I don't think he's sufficiently firmly established outside Bridgerton - it was a Netflix series. Netflix metrics are...odd. It "broke" Netflix records, but if you probe deeper, you find that 82 million people watched the first 2 minutes of the show.

He was on another Shondaland series on network tv and didn't make an impression at all.

If he can't due to contract reasons for other commitments - fine. But, if he is able, he should really pop in for a cameo. Fans will be happy, and that can only be good for his career.

by Anonymousreply 10April 2, 2021 8:20 PM

Who does he think he is, David Caruso????

by Anonymousreply 11April 5, 2021 2:33 AM

The writers should go their own way with the story and characters and keep him.

by Anonymousreply 12April 5, 2021 2:38 AM

How do you guys enjoy this frau garbage?

by Anonymousreply 13April 5, 2021 2:41 AM

Did any Brits watch and enjoy this "TV show?" I watched the first few episodes of the first season, and I'm floored that there will be another.

I can see how it would appeal to certain American market segments, and maybe even some Brits. Personally, I find it difficult to suspend quite that much disbelief.

by Anonymousreply 14April 5, 2021 2:45 AM

Shondaland dropped the ball by not attaching a clause to his contract that he has to do occasional guest appearances.

Now Regé-Jean Page has full control over his own schedule and can accept bigger parts without a scheduling conflict. Joe Manganiello must be so jealous right now.

by Anonymousreply 15April 5, 2021 2:48 AM

I don’t think they expected him to be such a breakout star.

by Anonymousreply 16April 5, 2021 2:51 AM

The show is so popular that the second season will have a new hot fan favorite. Could be DL fave Jonathan Bailey since, if they follow the books, his character will have the main storyline.

by Anonymousreply 17April 5, 2021 2:52 AM

[quote] I don’t think they expected him to be such a breakout star.

According to some reports he was only interested in the role because it was a one off in the first place. Meaning, he didn't' t have to commit to the project for several seasons.

I think both sides gambled and he kind of won. IF he does get cast in bigger projects.

by Anonymousreply 18April 5, 2021 2:57 AM

How will they explain his absence? Will he get separated from his wife?

by Anonymousreply 19April 5, 2021 3:06 AM

Nice to look at, but he's a pretty terrible actor.

by Anonymousreply 20April 5, 2021 3:11 AM

Even LSA thinks he's family. He keeps getting namechecked in the Kate Winslet "I know at least 4 closeted actors" thread.

by Anonymousreply 21April 5, 2021 3:11 AM

He's NOT a great actor.

I think he will regret this.

by Anonymousreply 22April 5, 2021 3:16 AM

Skinny buttocks.

by Anonymousreply 23April 5, 2021 3:16 AM

Regret? It was a one season role.

by Anonymousreply 24April 5, 2021 3:17 AM

He’s fine enough.

The little chubby girl from Derry Girls is priceless.

by Anonymousreply 25April 5, 2021 3:22 AM

R14, I quite enjoyed it as a bit of nonsense. It seemed to me a bit like Downton, in that the actors were often left to do what they could with nonsensical storylines and wafer-thin characterisation.

It was quite good fun to see a version of the past in full technicolour, rather than muted pastel shades.

I didn’t mind the colour-blind casting at all, but (as in Downton), the strange fluidity of social structures and gender roles were a little jarring. So many of the problems faced by the characters seemed utterly modern because they dealt merely with financial matters alone, whereas British class structures dealt with class in a very different way. Your place in society could be secure even if the finances underpinning it were very wobbly. It’s the interplay between class, money and gender which is at the heart of many classical English literature.

I’m perhaps wrong to apply these standards to fluff like Bridgerton which isn’t pretending to be great literature, but it is a little jarring to see such modern, slight stories fitted into the framework of Jane Austen!

I did enjoy it though, as a piece of nonsense, and my eyes did enjoy looking at Mssrs Bailey and Page!

by Anonymousreply 26April 5, 2021 3:33 AM

Shonda seems like a PITA so I find it funny

by Anonymousreply 27April 5, 2021 3:47 AM

Is Shonda even a showrunner any more? I imagine she gets the shows off the ground and then collects her checks, while checking out of the day to day drudgery.

by Anonymousreply 28April 5, 2021 3:53 AM

[quote] my eyes did enjoy looking at Mssrs Bailey and Page!

Let me guess, R26.

You're an Englishman using the English abbreviated form of the French word 'Messieurs'.

by Anonymousreply 29April 5, 2021 5:01 AM

[quote]Regé-Jean Page don’t return for season 2 of Bridgerton

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 30April 5, 2021 5:09 AM

It seems rather graceless (get it?) not to make a couple of brief appearances in season 2 for the sake of the fans.

by Anonymousreply 31April 5, 2021 5:19 AM

I thought he has a gay face, voice and demeanor.

by Anonymousreply 32April 5, 2021 12:25 PM

[quote]How will they explain his absence? Will he get separated from his wife?

The center of the story is the eponymous Bridgerton family and the gossipy Lady Whisteldown.

It's seems like they're adapting each book as a season. Now that the eldest daughter's and his story is done, he isn't really a main character anymore. There isn't really any more "story" to his story. Even if they deviate from the books, his only real purpose would be to assert his social position as a duke, which you could easily have Daphne do as a duchess and give her character more to do.

by Anonymousreply 33April 5, 2021 2:59 PM

He pings hard...maybe he can’t handle all the attention, especially if there’s any pressure to play it straight? Good looking enough for Bond, but he seems lanky and I wonder if he might not make a good action hero.

by Anonymousreply 34April 5, 2021 4:49 PM

[quote] I want him inside of me.

We know, whore!

by Anonymousreply 35April 5, 2021 4:57 PM

He's not lanky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 5, 2021 4:58 PM

And I would be his perfect Bond Girl!

Harry, get Paramount on the line NOW!

by Anonymousreply 37April 5, 2021 5:00 PM

He was good in that part but I have a feeling that was his peak.

by Anonymousreply 38April 5, 2021 9:22 PM

[quote] his peak.

He will find his greater peak when he and Thandiwe Newton are asked to star in a new Hallmark version of 'The Charles and Diana Royal Love Story".

by Anonymousreply 39April 5, 2021 10:05 PM

Who do you see his career emulating?

by Anonymousreply 40April 5, 2021 10:14 PM

R36 that’s a judgement call, and I respectfully disagree :) Long and fairly narrow limbs, and a thin neck. very sexy man, however.

by Anonymousreply 41April 5, 2021 10:21 PM

He doesn't have a long torso.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 5, 2021 10:23 PM

This is not a lanky physique.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 5, 2021 10:24 PM

^ His boobies are bigger than his bot-bot.

by Anonymousreply 44April 5, 2021 10:25 PM

He's clearly gay

by Anonymousreply 45April 5, 2021 10:35 PM

He pinged a bit in the Comic Relief Cinderella panto he performed in for the BBC. I couldn’t be certain though, as it may be wishful thinking on my part: he was very charming and he looks wonderful in a beige cardigan.

by Anonymousreply 46April 5, 2021 10:50 PM

How is he cock wise?

by Anonymousreply 47April 6, 2021 2:00 AM

He's clearly family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 6, 2021 2:49 AM

May he have the luck of Dan Stevens

by Anonymousreply 49April 6, 2021 5:13 PM

He don’t, huh?

by Anonymousreply 50April 6, 2021 5:14 PM

He’s not much more than a pretty face. He was the worst actor on the series. It was a good thing all he had to do was finish himself off.

by Anonymousreply 51April 6, 2021 6:23 PM

He has greater odds now to be the next James Bond.

by Anonymousreply 52April 6, 2021 10:09 PM

This British actor is so refined.

He's got no pecs.

And no behind.

by Anonymousreply 53April 6, 2021 10:12 PM

For his sake, I hope he doesn't go down the Bond route. Best to stay a journeyman actor. It sounds the like the movie roles for which he's been announced are supporting.

by Anonymousreply 54April 6, 2021 10:13 PM

He needs to bulk up for Bond. Not masculine enough.

by Anonymousreply 55April 7, 2021 12:24 AM

Craig is the only bulky Bond.

by Anonymousreply 56April 7, 2021 12:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!