Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Calling on all DL Tour Guides - tell me about the Rockies

I’m planning a 6-7 week road trip this July and August. I’m looking for some must see towns in NM, CO, Idaho, WY, and/or Montana. Ideally I’d like to spend a week to 10 days in a diverse array of towns with scenery, charm, and ideally some culture.

I’ve been to Denver for work, the Utah Canyons and Santa Fe 20 years ago. Otherwise it will all be new to me.

All advice appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 11April 1, 2021 9:00 PM

Well, you've certainly allowed enough time! So I'm going to recommend two places at either end of the American Rockies: Glacier National Park in Montana, and the San Juan Mountains of southwestern Colorado.

Glacier offers stunning Alpine scenery and is well known for good reason, check it out! Stunning mountains deeply sculpted by glaciation, amazing hiking, deep glacial lakes, mountain goats and grizzly bears (watch your ass there), deep glacial lakes, it should be cool and dotted with wildflowers in July-Aug as it's on the Canadian border and high altitude. Much more amazing than Rocky Mountain National Park, IMHO, if you have to choose between them.

The San Juan subsidary range are at the southern end of the high Rockies, close to the New Mexico border, and those are stunning mountains dotted with charming little towns like Durango and Telluride. I've only been there in fall and this is *exactly* what I saw, I need to go back and really explore those mountains as I haven't seen nearly enough of that region. Definitely primo road trip territory, and BTW if you are sick of mountains and want some desert, the Navajo country and the Shiprock are just south of Durango.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 1, 2021 12:10 AM

Is Telluride a must see town? Jackson Hole?

by Anonymousreply 2April 1, 2021 11:34 AM

The original was the best, but "Rocky 2" wasn't bad.

by Anonymousreply 3April 1, 2021 3:31 PM

Telluride is a lovely little town with a free Gondola that takes you to amazing views of the sunset, and puts you in the spectacular San Juan range. But I've only been there in fall, I have no idea how crowded it was in summer. There are other towns in the San Juans which are supposed to be nice, Durango and Silverton and so on, but I haven't seen enough of them to say anything useful.

Aspen is a very attractive town, but not as attractive as Telluride, but with more obvious money around and slightly less spectacular scenery.

Estes Park is a lovely little town on the edge of Rocky Mountain National Park, with downtown that's touristy but which I liked anyway, but there was a hell of a traffic jam there every evening as the park emptied out along a two-lane road.

I didn't like Vail very much, it was more McMansiony and Republican, with a million shops selling expensive skiing outfits. Seriously, the town seemed to be about 30% retail stores.

by Anonymousreply 4April 1, 2021 7:52 PM

Culture? I don't think Wyoming, Idaho or Montana can provide much of that.

Why 6 to 7 weeks? Seems like a lot of repetitive stuff just in different locales.

by Anonymousreply 5April 1, 2021 8:00 PM

They’re just big rocks. I hate them.

by Anonymousreply 6April 1, 2021 8:17 PM

Make sure you catch Lillian Gish in Camille at the Central City Opera House!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 1, 2021 8:19 PM

I would just take a train trip and be done with it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 1, 2021 8:26 PM

Yes, OP, travel by train!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 1, 2021 8:32 PM

In Colorado, a trip to Ouray is a must. Surrounded by beautiful mountains, it's sometimes called "the Switzerland of America."

by Anonymousreply 10April 1, 2021 8:45 PM

Harve seems to have been a fan...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 1, 2021 9:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!