Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Has DL ever had a thread about "Fresno"?

Surely this nighttime soap spoof with Carol Burnett, Dabney Coleman (and many others) is beloved by a segment of the eldergay set? Carol riding in the back of the station wagon, Gregory Harrison constantly taking off his shirt, Teresa Ganzel (!) as a novice country music star on the rise, many drinks being thrown in faces!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 1, 2021 4:49 AM

I don’t remember this but it looks great. I’m going to look for it on YouTube

by Anonymousreply 1March 31, 2021 8:42 PM

I did one a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2March 31, 2021 8:43 PM

Not to mention Grodin and Garr!

by Anonymousreply 3March 31, 2021 8:43 PM

And here it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 31, 2021 8:44 PM

My mother is from Fresno and left as soon as she turned 18, and pretty much never looked back. Her siblings are total Trumptards (as are most people who live there). It’s just a shitty cow town.

by Anonymousreply 5March 31, 2021 8:47 PM

Fun idea. Poor execution.

by Anonymousreply 6March 31, 2021 9:14 PM

Gregory Harrison was so hot. I wanted to lick his bare chest throughout the run of the series. I loved the scene when Carol Burnett as the wealthy matriarch explained the difference of her position and that of her maid. Carol was a 'Have'. The maid was a 'Have-not'.

by Anonymousreply 7March 31, 2021 10:04 PM

I'd never heard of it. Looks like something I'd enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 8March 31, 2021 10:10 PM

Fresno was a parody of Falcon Crest. And Harrison Ford went on to star in Falcon Crest Season 9 as Michael Sharpe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 31, 2021 10:10 PM

I think I remember the opening, something like Spanish Conquistadors riding through the hills and finding grapes that tasted horrible. Is that right?

by Anonymousreply 10March 31, 2021 10:13 PM

OP, I think I liked Modesto more. Possibly Bakersfield.

by Anonymousreply 11March 31, 2021 10:16 PM

I found it:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 31, 2021 10:17 PM

If Carol Burnett was the matriarch of a California raisin farming family, why does she have a southern accent?

by Anonymousreply 13March 31, 2021 10:24 PM

R13, iffy but possible. Lots of Okies in that area, so possibly some residual Oklahoma accent.

by Anonymousreply 14March 31, 2021 10:27 PM

I loved it as a young gayling. I remember they reran it a year or so later but added a super phony laugh track that ruined the whole viewing experience the second time around.

by Anonymousreply 15March 31, 2021 10:49 PM

[Quote] Harrison Ford went on to star in Falcon Crest Season 9 as Michael Sharpe.

I think not.

by Anonymousreply 16March 31, 2021 11:01 PM

It sounds like when Bond gave way to a bunch of spy spoofs. Parodying something that doesn't take itself seriously usually yields mild entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 17March 31, 2021 11:02 PM

R15, the laugh track ruined Fresno. The joy of the original broadcast was that it was a parody of so many night time soaps and TV mini series.

The cast played their roles without any winking, nudging, mugging to the audience.

I think it's a show that works only at the time it was created and would amuse people over 50.

by Anonymousreply 18March 31, 2021 11:16 PM

How does it compare to Garth Marenghi's Darkplace?

by Anonymousreply 19March 31, 2021 11:17 PM

[quote]Fresno was a parody of Falcon Crest. And Harrison Ford went on to star in Falcon Crest Season 9 as Michael Sharpe.

It was a parody of 80's primetime soaps in general. Gregory Harrison, not Harrison Ford.

by Anonymousreply 20March 31, 2021 11:23 PM

Fresno is now the nation's hottest housing market!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 1, 2021 1:44 AM

R21, really?

by Anonymousreply 22April 1, 2021 3:47 AM

As I remember, it wasn't as funny as it could have been, but Carol Burnett is worth watching in anything.

by Anonymousreply 23April 1, 2021 4:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!