Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Was Michael Bolton a Thing?

I don’t get it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83April 4, 2021 8:59 AM

OP, a lot of us at the time couldn't figure it out either!

by Anonymousreply 1March 31, 2021 1:53 AM

He made the fraus wet. Especially songs like Can I Touch You....There?

by Anonymousreply 2March 31, 2021 1:54 AM

Yes, fraus went crazy for him and his long hair. Same with Fabio.

They were ugly and so unsexy, but they made the fraus wet and moist.

Give me Richard Tyson circa Two Moon Junction if we're talking hot men with long hair.

by Anonymousreply 3March 31, 2021 1:57 AM

He looks and sounds constipated.

by Anonymousreply 4March 31, 2021 1:57 AM

Are you looking at your picture OP?

by Anonymousreply 5March 31, 2021 2:34 AM

The same reason Kenny G is a thing: boring music for white suburban fraus to listen to as they drive to the chain stores to by plastic crap made in sweatshops in dictatorships.

by Anonymousreply 6March 31, 2021 2:52 AM

buy

by Anonymousreply 7March 31, 2021 2:52 AM

Because white man with mullet singing R & B.

by Anonymousreply 8March 31, 2021 2:55 AM

Or soul, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 9March 31, 2021 2:56 AM

Always loved this In Living Color parody.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 31, 2021 3:03 AM

What’s a Michael Bolton?

by Anonymousreply 11March 31, 2021 3:07 AM

Bolton was really good looking when he was younger. He started losing his hair pretty young and after that it looked very sparse in front and ruined his looks. This is before that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 31, 2021 3:15 AM

Here’s another one. Judging from these early pictures, maybe he was a natural brunet and he damaged his hair from stripping it and bleaching it blond.

He’s one of those guys who kept his hair long after it started receding and it looked terrible. Now that it’s clipped short, he actually looks better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 31, 2021 3:19 AM

He slightly redeemed himself with Lonely Island.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 31, 2021 3:25 AM

Look to the fraus

by Anonymousreply 15March 31, 2021 3:26 AM

He was a HUGE songwriter before becoming a pop star. Kinda like Katy Perry. Come to think of it, there hasn't been a better example from Bolton to Perry. The singing is secondary, but he had a voice that fit in the weird nexus of pop and metal that happened in the 1990s.

This song is my favorite of his. Co-written with Diane Warren. Sounds a lot like a Bon Jovi song in terms of the production.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 31, 2021 3:32 AM

David Foster (maybe the biggest producer of the 80's) did this for Bolton which was a minor hit before his mega 1989 album. Love this one too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 31, 2021 3:34 AM

He was a thing because he was marketed to be a thing. He was entirely unthreatening sexually, making him someone that housewives could fantasize over without much guilt or embarrassment. They could ooo and ahhh over him and not get their panties wet. THAT would have made them guilty.

A total waste of time for all involved.

by Anonymousreply 18March 31, 2021 3:36 AM

I used to fantasize about Michael Bolton making love to me. Taking me into his arms, making mad passionate love to me. Throwing me on the bed, taking off my panties, and licking my pussy as his luscious long hair draped over my breasts. Nothing turned me on more seeing his luscious locks down my pussy region, licking me, as he occasionally came up to air to sing some of his famous songs and then he would promptly return to eating out my pussy.

Michael Bolton was so good at eating my pussy, I came.

by Anonymousreply 19March 31, 2021 3:37 AM

I said nexus of metal to pop in the 90s, i meant the 80s, where you had metal that was really more pop (such as Motley Crue) and the songwriters bounced between the genres, as did the bands.

by Anonymousreply 20March 31, 2021 3:37 AM

BDF for days.

Also "no-talent ass-clown."

by Anonymousreply 21March 31, 2021 3:42 AM

He was hung like a horse

- Nicole Sheridan

by Anonymousreply 22March 31, 2021 4:30 AM

Bolton worked a lot with Walter Afanasieff, who also worked with Mariah Carey.

That's why 90's pop sounded like 90s pap

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 31, 2021 5:13 AM

[quote] He was a HUGE songwriter before becoming a pop star. Kinda like Katy Perry. Come to think of it, there hasn't been a better example from Bolton to Perry.

Sweetie, what are you talking about? Katy Perry was never a HUGE songwriting star. And if you actually mean Linda Perry, she didn't start writing songs for others until her band broke up, so that comparison is out the window, too.

by Anonymousreply 24March 31, 2021 5:20 AM

He always reminded me of Kevin Costner, i sometimes get them confused

by Anonymousreply 25March 31, 2021 5:23 AM

I celebrate the guy's entire catalog, R21!

by Anonymousreply 26March 31, 2021 5:33 AM

Stealing our song is Not a Wonderful Thing

by Anonymousreply 27March 31, 2021 5:36 AM

r26 i was wondering if anybody would get it, bravo!

Does anyone have any VPL pics of him?

by Anonymousreply 28March 31, 2021 5:38 AM

I found him kinda attractive for a very brief period when he cut off his hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 31, 2021 5:52 AM

r24 Huge in terms of working within the industry....Maybe established is a better term?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 31, 2021 6:05 AM

Katy Perry sucks and she's a horrible singer. All she knows how to do is yell her vocals.

by Anonymousreply 31March 31, 2021 6:08 AM

He was the male Cher.

by Anonymousreply 32March 31, 2021 6:21 AM

He had Joan Osborne's hair before Joan Osborne -- a true pioneer.

by Anonymousreply 33March 31, 2021 6:25 AM

I do like this song, he wrote it for Laura Branigan and later covered it himself, both versions were hits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 31, 2021 6:51 AM

I never paid any attention to him in the 80’s/90’s, but compared to the garbage that’s on the radio today, I would definitely prefer his music instead.

by Anonymousreply 35March 31, 2021 7:09 AM

This one was tolerable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 31, 2021 7:14 AM

Michael Bolton is proof, and there are many other examples, that the masses have such bad taste.

by Anonymousreply 37March 31, 2021 7:20 AM

Cher's version of this is much better but I do love a late 80s Diane Warren power pop song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 31, 2021 7:36 AM

Michael Bolton also wrote and produced Cher's 1987 comeback single "I found someone"

All is forgiven for that alone.

by Anonymousreply 39March 31, 2021 8:26 AM

“Uhhh, I think I just pooped in my pants.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 31, 2021 10:06 AM

I was once subjected to a Michael Bolton concert in the early 90's. It was torture. Two hours of screaming into giant wind fans to blow his hair up as he moved around the stage. The fraus were lined up in the front rows holding hands as they swayed to his music. I was with people who invited me not to see him but Celine Dion who opened the concert for him, but they decided to stay until it ended. I wanted to put my head inside one of the fans and decapitate myself.

by Anonymousreply 41March 31, 2021 4:53 PM

All I hear about are women. You mean to tell me gay men didn’t like him?

by Anonymousreply 42March 31, 2021 6:10 PM

Gay men had better taste.

by Anonymousreply 43March 31, 2021 6:17 PM

My mom’s boss back in the early ‘90s used to play Michael Bolton and Kenny G. excessively in her office. My mom was ready to go postal on her. She HATED the two of them. She thought it was pretty much sacrilege when he did “Georgia on My Mind”as that was one of her favorite songs.

Now Huey Lewis was a different story. She lusted after that man.

by Anonymousreply 44March 31, 2021 6:31 PM

He looks like an old lesbian now.

by Anonymousreply 45March 31, 2021 6:40 PM

He gave white fraus a "safe" version of black music. And he was styled as a historical romance book cover model (wild hair, billowing white blouse open to the navel)

by Anonymousreply 46March 31, 2021 6:46 PM

Now that people mentioned both Bolton and Kenny G, I realized they are not the same person.

by Anonymousreply 47March 31, 2021 6:48 PM

This thread has made me listen to When I'm Back On My Feet Again. Diane Warren said it was one of her most personal songs, about the death of her father.

It's very overblown and nowhere near as good as Because You Loved Me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 31, 2021 6:53 PM

he seemed sincere and non-threateningly sexy to the millions of fraus who bought his albums

by Anonymousreply 49March 31, 2021 7:01 PM

He is definitely high on the list of Things I Don't Get at All.

by Anonymousreply 50March 31, 2021 7:21 PM

He was handsome despite the awful hair.

by Anonymousreply 51March 31, 2021 7:35 PM

Men with long, flowing, blond manes of hair really got the fraus' motor running in the '90s, for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 52March 31, 2021 7:38 PM

Is he still with Paige Mathison from Knots Landing?

by Anonymousreply 53March 31, 2021 7:38 PM

You can just call me Mike.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54March 31, 2021 8:19 PM

r54 ROFL love that pic!

by Anonymousreply 55April 1, 2021 1:19 AM

Much like his hair

and all that big crunch permed hair from the 1980s and 90s...

it seems incomprehensible now

by Anonymousreply 56April 1, 2021 1:34 AM

What is a Dionne Warwick?

by Anonymousreply 57April 1, 2021 1:35 AM

WTF was the "Can I Touch You There?" song about? Were all the middle-aged fat white frauen pleasuring themselves fantasizing about Bolton stroking their lady parts down there?

by Anonymousreply 58April 1, 2021 4:41 PM

Bolton was THE frau panty creamer of the late 80s and early 90s. He was part of the putrid 'adult contemporary' genre that was really big at that time, also known as Lite FM or "secretary music." Gloria Estefan was another one who was really big in that genre, as well as Rod Stewart. Awful, boring frau music but it was extremely popular.

by Anonymousreply 59April 1, 2021 7:15 PM

by Anonymousreply 60April 1, 2021 7:16 PM

Well at least he gave the illusion of a real man crooning love songs. Now all we have is Sam Smith, Sam Mendes and Ed Sheeran. Pansies. The black artists are manlier but then they take it to the other extreme with constant MeToo scandal. And I don't even want to address the KPoop crowd.

Bring back men in blouses

by Anonymousreply 61April 3, 2021 5:20 AM

Shit music.

by Anonymousreply 62April 3, 2021 5:24 AM

His vocals were good, but his lyrics and songwriting shit. I mean, he was a good singer. But his songs sucked ass.

by Anonymousreply 63April 3, 2021 6:23 AM

His music was absolute shit but he had a huge run of hits for several years. I couldn't change the station fast enough when one of his abortions came on the radio. There was a lot of crap music in that time period that only appealed to fraus.

by Anonymousreply 64April 3, 2021 6:43 AM

Middle-aged fraus were truly Michael Bolton's only fanbase, nobody else could stand him and thought he was a total joke. He was widely mocked. It was a lot like what happened with Clay Aiken many years later.

by Anonymousreply 65April 3, 2021 6:52 AM

He was sued for plagiarizing this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66April 3, 2021 6:58 AM

What a bizarre hooked nose he has. I suppose the hair was to distract from that?

by Anonymousreply 67April 3, 2021 9:04 AM

I recall asking this question to my straight white married female co-workers at the time, and the general consensus was that he was good music to play while having a candlelit bath by yourself, feeling sensual and all.

I also agree with what another poster seems to be hinting at above - he's non-threatening R&B...which in a way might seem a bit ignorant to the immense world of black R&B.

by Anonymousreply 68April 3, 2021 9:14 AM

He is NOT rnb, more like easy listening

by Anonymousreply 69April 3, 2021 9:26 AM

He fucked like Adam Duritz fucked he had a lot starlets. Ashley Judd is the only one I can remember

by Anonymousreply 70April 3, 2021 9:45 AM

[quote] His vocals were good, but his lyrics and songwriting shit. I mean, he was a good singer. But his songs sucked ass.

Thanks for elaborating because I didn't quite get what you meant in your first sentence.

by Anonymousreply 71April 3, 2021 12:24 PM

[QUOTE] His vocals were good, but his lyrics and songwriting shit. I mean, he was a good singer. But his songs sucked ass.

This is the exact opposite of what everyone else has been saying. 😂

by Anonymousreply 72April 3, 2021 5:03 PM

Michael Bolton's songs sound odd because he's really not a adult contemporary/R&B ballad singer. He's a hard rock/heavy metal singer, was the frontman of a few bands and made several rock albums throughout the 70s and early 80s before he "sold out" to become a pop singer. He found it more profitable to be the male Celine/Whitney after years of struggling in the AOR genre.

Not too surprising, I really loved his early rock material and rock/metal music fits his voice much better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73April 3, 2021 7:01 PM

With his band Blackjack

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74April 3, 2021 7:05 PM

He made my mother's ladymuff wet. I used to make fun of her- that shit would blast in my house when I was 11-12 years old in the late eighties and I would run away screaming.

Its so funny as I recently downloaded Steel Bars and You Wouldn't Know Love and rocked out in my car. Good shit!

And I disagree with the poster above- Bolton's version of YWKL is far better than Cher's- especially the band.

by Anonymousreply 75April 3, 2021 7:08 PM

Another awesome Blackjack song. Kanye West even sampled this song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76April 3, 2021 7:08 PM

His singing sounded like he was grunting and groaning his way through a massive shit.

by Anonymousreply 77April 3, 2021 7:15 PM

I always got him confused with Kenny G

by Anonymousreply 78April 3, 2021 7:34 PM

R5 Today I learned Michael Bolton and Kenny G are not the same guy.

by Anonymousreply 79April 3, 2021 7:53 PM

So much light being shed. Had no idea he started out doing heavy metal and then reinvented himself.

by Anonymousreply 80April 3, 2021 8:10 PM

[quote]He was part of the putrid 'adult contemporary' genre that was really big at that time, also known as Lite FM or "secretary music." Gloria Estefan was another one who was really big in that genre, as well as Rod Stewart.

Gloria Estefan is also deserving of a "Why Was XXX a Thing?" thread.

by Anonymousreply 81April 3, 2021 8:20 PM

I'm a total AORhead so I loved most of his pretty bland music. It has all the songwriters I like in the genre, as well as a lot of the same studio musicians. Didn't care after he went total pop, but "Steel Bars", a late(ish) song, is really damn good and has made most of my roadtrip playlists since 1991.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82April 3, 2021 9:32 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83April 4, 2021 8:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!