Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pretty in Pink and The Breakfast Club

Gen X'ers, do you feel like it was just yesterday, when you were teenagers in high school?

Those movies still have a modern feel to them, and it must be weird that Gen X'ers are now becoming grandparents.

They're also eligible for AARP benefits and senior discounts, retirement living, and even the early groups for Covid vaccines.

It was just yesterday when Claire and Brian were stuck in detention, and Duckie & Andie were getting ready for the prom.

Time really does fly by.

by Anonymousreply 123July 29, 2021 12:23 PM

Pretty in Pink was on some random cable channel yesterday, and once again I was angry at how hideous Andie's dress was at the end, which was supposed to be a Cinderella moment.

by Anonymousreply 1March 28, 2021 1:13 PM

I was born in the early 1980s and have a nostalgia for the decade, even though I remember little of it.

I guess I miss what I imagine it had been.

by Anonymousreply 2March 28, 2021 1:15 PM

It doesn’t feel like high school was just yesterday but it definitely doesn’t feel like Empire Records was released 26 years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 28, 2021 1:18 PM

[quote] it definitely doesn’t feel like Empire Records was released 26 years ago

What's an Empire Records?

by Anonymousreply 4March 28, 2021 1:20 PM

Pretty in pink was supposed to end differently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 28, 2021 1:22 PM

there's no putting it in the past when there's been revival every bloody year... and the continuation of even more ignorant generations than the one before unable to differentiate from five minutes ago and hundred years ago, always believing they're the first rebels without a clue

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 28, 2021 1:25 PM

[quote]Those movies still have a modern feel to them, and it must be weird that Gen X'ers are now becoming grandparents.

I would laugh at this but I recently noticed that AARP is running ads about "eighties slang" and well, Gag me with a spoon!

by Anonymousreply 7March 28, 2021 1:30 PM

I'm with you, R1.

That dress was SO fucking ugly.

Pink polka dots???

Andie's personal style throughout the movie was funky and chic. She was always impeccably dressed.

And then she wears THIS to the prom?

Even Duckie looked more stylish than she did.

Somebody fucked up big time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 28, 2021 1:32 PM

As a Brit, The Breakfast Club always seemed like a weird fantasy. A detention on a Saturday? Wtf?

by Anonymousreply 9March 28, 2021 1:33 PM

This look actually would have been pretty decent...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 28, 2021 1:34 PM

Just to go back for a few days to relive it all again.... 1980's was the jam!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 28, 2021 1:38 PM

that song was definitely the jam

by Anonymousreply 12March 28, 2021 1:40 PM

Andrew McCarthy is going to be 60 next year!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 28, 2021 1:43 PM

R5 Personally, I felt if Andi ended up with anyone, it should have been Steff. James Spader was woefully underutilized.

by Anonymousreply 14March 28, 2021 1:48 PM

[quote]As a Brit, The Breakfast Club always seemed like a weird fantasy. A detention on a Saturday? Wtf?

Degrassi TNG did a Breakfast Club themed episode

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 28, 2021 1:50 PM

[quote]if Andi ended up with anyone, it should have been Steff. James Spader was woefully underutilized.

I agree R7.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 28, 2021 1:53 PM

Did anyone ever catch this movie in 2017?

[quote] Brat Pack Legacy! Molly Ringwald Will Play the Mom of Andrew McCarthy's Son in New Movie

Andrew McCarthy‘s son is following in his father’s footsteps — down to the costars!

During a recent appearance on The MOMS, McCarthy revealed that his 15-year-old son, Sam, will appear in an upcoming movie alongside a fellow Brat Packer.

“My son is doing his first movie now, and his screen mom is of course Molly Ringwald!” McCarthy told hosts Denise Albert and Melissa Gerstein.

“He just auditioned for this movie and he was hired and it turned out that his mother was going to be Molly Ringwald!” McCarthy’s rep tells PEOPLE that the movie is called All These Small Moments.

McCarthy, 54, starred alongside 49-year-old Ringwald in popular ’80s movies like Pretty in Pink and Fresh Horses. The actor said he got an email from his old pal Ringwald when she and his son began working together.

“She emailed me on the first day and she said, ‘Your son just did a scene and when he walked away, it was just like watching you walk away from me 30 years ago,’ ” he recalled.

McCarthy was just 23 and Ringwald 18 when they played high school love birds in the popular 1986 movie. Fans of the cult classic fawned over Andie’s (Ringwald) unique style and Duckie’s (Jon Cryer‘s) unrequited love for the leading lady as she fell for cool guy Blane (McCarthy).

Ringwald and McCarthy were just two years older when Fresh Horses hit theaters. The two again played teen love birds. Now, it’s his son’s turn to act alongside the Brat Pack alum.

Sam isn’t the only one to catch the acting bug in McCarthy’s family, though. His 10-year-old daughter, Willow, made her professional debut in Matilda the Musical.

“God help me!” he told The MOMS hosts. “Both my children decide they want to be actors.”

McCarthy is also father to 3-year-old Rowan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 28, 2021 1:54 PM

I always assumed that Jon Cryer was gay, based on PIP.

There was just no possibility he was straight. Either in character, or in real life.

But I guess he is.

Even though Jon looks different now, I still think he looks handsome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 28, 2021 1:59 PM

Saturday detention then and now served a purpose, to force students to give up part of their valuable (and much prized) weekend time.

Pulling a student out of one or multiple classes to sit in detention hall not only causes them to miss work, but gets them out of a class or classes. That may be part of their MO in first place. Keeping students after school can also be an issue because they do have to get home. Three hour detention after school would see kids leaving at 6PM or later. Even for high school kids many parents would hit the roof.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 28, 2021 2:02 PM

I read an interview with Molly Ringwald a few years ago, which I think was primarily about her (very good) translation of Lie to Me, but Pretty in Pink came up. She stated that she'd always assumed Ducky was gay.

by Anonymousreply 20March 28, 2021 2:44 PM

[quote]I always assumed that Jon Cryer was gay, based on PIP.

So did I.

Thanks for sharing, R19.

by Anonymousreply 21March 28, 2021 6:05 PM

James Spader's character in that film, a high school student? He looked at least thirty-five, never carried books, and lounged around smoking. I liked PIP anyway, and enjoyed in particular the kooky woman who owned the record store. Andrew MCcarthy seemed to have a case of Visine eyes throughout the entire movie. I always thought the subplot should involve his secret drug habit. Sad I remember this with such clarity.

by Anonymousreply 22March 28, 2021 6:25 PM

Molly hanging with her real friends

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 28, 2021 6:47 PM

I must say I love that pink wig R23.

by Anonymousreply 24March 28, 2021 7:06 PM

Andie made that prom dress from a mixture of materials, including her friend Iona's polka dot dress.

by Anonymousreply 25March 28, 2021 7:14 PM

Born in 1976. I was a kid throughout the '80s but I vividly remember it fondly and very well. I was probably too young to watch the R-rated ones, but I saw them anyway, and the Hughes films were among some of my favorite. I own all the Molly ones and Some Kind of Wonderful (which was a gender-switch version of PIP) on DVD.

by Anonymousreply 26March 28, 2021 7:16 PM

[quote] I liked PIP anyway, and enjoyed in particular the kooky woman who owned the record store

How do you not know Annie Potts????

From "Designing Women?"

Omg.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 28, 2021 7:57 PM

R14

James Spader was so good-looking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 28, 2021 8:42 PM

R7 like totally!

by Anonymousreply 29March 28, 2021 8:48 PM

Lol at R7 and R29.

I have a supervisor and her secretary who are also both class of 1987.

And I had to endure last Thursday afternoon listening to them both talk about menopause and hot flashes!!!

It was torture!

They looked at me and laughed, then stopped talking about it because they could see I was flustered.

by Anonymousreply 30March 28, 2021 8:53 PM

Yes R28! I remember seeing him in a TV movie with Robert Mitchum and even at my young age I thought he was sex on a stick.

As much as I loved PIP when I was younger, now I find it a bit of a disappointment. That fucking dress! Plus Blaine being strung out and wearing a hair piece... and Andi being exhausting.

Looking back, I think The Breakfast Club is the stronger film and Pretty In Pink had the better soundtrack.

by Anonymousreply 31March 28, 2021 9:01 PM

[quote] Looking back, I think The Breakfast Club is the stronger film and Pretty In Pink had the better soundtrack.

PIP had better clothing and style, though.

Also, how cute was Dweezil Zappa as Simon?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 28, 2021 9:11 PM

I had no idea that Molly and Dweezil were dating.

They looked cute together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33March 28, 2021 9:14 PM

R32 I agree, the overall styling was better in Pretty in Pink (as it should since TBC occurs over the course of a few hours vs PIP a few weeks) but Molly Ringwald looked better in The Breakfast Club.

Dweezil was cute though.

by Anonymousreply 34March 28, 2021 9:34 PM

The Breakfast Club and Pretty In Pink can’t hold a candle to the under appreciated movie, The Sure Thing, starring Daphne Zuniga and Jon Cusack.

by Anonymousreply 35March 28, 2021 11:22 PM

Duly reminded, R27. I liked her in Ghostbusters, too.

by Anonymousreply 36March 28, 2021 11:36 PM

What WAS that song about?

by Anonymousreply 37March 29, 2021 12:13 AM

I remember when the first three grades of my small Southern grammar school was segregated. Why this thread made me think of that, I have no reason.

by Anonymousreply 38March 29, 2021 12:23 AM

[quote]the overall styling was better in Pretty in Pink (as it should since TBC occurs over the course of a few hours vs PIP a few weeks) but Molly Ringwald looked better in The Breakfast Club

Molly was the perfect 1980s popular bitch who didn't realize she was a popular bitch in that movie. Nothing else holds a candle to that performance even though she was also perfectly believable as the quirky outlier in PIP.

by Anonymousreply 39March 29, 2021 12:27 AM

R18 Jon Cryer always says in interviews that people assume he is both 1) gay and 2) Jewish. I’m not sure which one I’m more surprised to believe he isn’t.

I’ve grown to become a fan of his, though. I couldn’t stand him when I was growing up.

by Anonymousreply 40March 29, 2021 12:31 AM

R39 I agree with your take on Molly's TBC performance.

by Anonymousreply 41March 29, 2021 5:34 AM

They don't feel modern at all.

by Anonymousreply 42March 29, 2021 5:41 AM

[quote]Jon Cryer always says in interviews that people assume he is both 1) gay and 2) Jewish. I’m not sure which one I’m more surprised to believe he isn’t.

Funny.

Despite not seeing him in very much I’ve become a fan of his too, I even like his ridiculous teen movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 29, 2021 6:55 PM

Emilio Esteves in TBC is super hot.

by Anonymousreply 44March 29, 2021 7:01 PM

High school doesn’t seem like yesterday. My 20th reunion 15 years ago sure does.

by Anonymousreply 45March 29, 2021 7:39 PM

So this year is your 35th reunion, R45?

DAMN!

by Anonymousreply 46March 29, 2021 7:43 PM

This fall.

by Anonymousreply 47March 29, 2021 8:48 PM

Molly was perfect in 16 Candles but besides that I didn't care for her.

by Anonymousreply 48March 30, 2021 4:21 AM

The Breakfast Club was good. Neither of these films are modern though. Both very 80s and very much of a white suburban world. But doesn't make them any less enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 49July 10, 2021 2:11 AM

Sixteen Candles was the first movie where I really felt seen, saw it in the theater in high school. I know there is problematic parts to it now that are un PC but it has my heart. Also that's the only time I liked Molly Ringwald.

by Anonymousreply 50July 10, 2021 2:15 AM

I recently saw Pretty In Pink think that if Andie chose Duckie, he would be decried as being the “but I’m a NICE GUY!” guy who keeps hanging around Andie even though she’s not sexually attracted to him throughout the film.

I always though Molly Ringwald is ugly, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 51July 10, 2021 2:28 AM

Yep...and fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 52July 10, 2021 2:29 AM

[quote] I always though Molly Ringwald is ugly, anyway.

I agree. She's very average and nothing special. I found it hard to buy her as the most popular girl in school in The Breakfast Club. She looked like more like the nice homely girl who would be reasonably liked but not the most popular nor a stuck-up diva type. Amanda Peterson in Can't Buy Me Love, Kim Walker in Heathers and Kelly Preston in Secret Admirer were more far believable as the hot stuck-up popular girls.

by Anonymousreply 53July 10, 2021 2:37 AM

What year did Gen X start?

by Anonymousreply 54July 10, 2021 2:42 AM

r54 1965 most of the Brat Pack are actually Boomers

by Anonymousreply 55July 10, 2021 2:51 AM

Molly Ringwald was perfectly cast in 16 Candles because she was awkward. I think John Hughes had a thing for her and had a case of arrested development. I laugh to see the pics of him with a mullet with those dorky big glasses.

by Anonymousreply 56July 10, 2021 2:53 AM

I agree r53, I was a senior when Breakfast Club came out and I could have walked through my school hallways and seen dozens of girls who were better looking than Molly and it took me out of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 57July 10, 2021 3:06 AM

Molly Ringwald was far from ugly. Her pouty lips, iconic short red hair, alabaster skin and pensive brown eyes made her an anomaly in a sea of hot blonde babes of the day that you could see at any mall in any major American city.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 10, 2021 3:13 AM

r58 maybe adults appreciated her looks but any teen guys I know did not find her attractive

by Anonymousreply 59July 10, 2021 3:14 AM

Claire isn't supposed to be the most beautiful, hottest girl. She's just rich and popular. We had plenty of average looking rich and popular girls in my high school.

by Anonymousreply 60July 10, 2021 3:16 AM

We used to make fun of her Time Magazine cover 'Isn't she sweet?'

by Anonymousreply 61July 10, 2021 3:18 AM

Ain't she sweet actually. Anyway, I remember being at a party and holding up their dad's copy of Time and everybody going Noooooooooo

by Anonymousreply 62July 10, 2021 3:19 AM

We had a Molly Rinwald in my high school. Not ugly but no raging beauty .However,she dressed in the latest fashion and drove a corvette at 16 .She had a smoking hot boyfriend too. Saw her on FB after many decades and bow wow wow ! Still looked very well off though.

by Anonymousreply 63July 10, 2021 3:20 AM

R58 She's still average looking though. I mean she's not ugly but still she really doesn't stick out in a crowd. And Demi Moore and Jennifer Connolly were far more striking in the looks department and they weren't blonde.

by Anonymousreply 64July 10, 2021 3:26 AM

I recently rewatched the movie '10 Years' about a high school reunion (has Chris Pratt, Channing Tatum, Oscar Isaacs, etc. in it). The girl who was the hot popular one was homely. I don't get the casting of these movies. Even though the GREASE cast was way too old at least ONJ was very pretty.

by Anonymousreply 65July 10, 2021 3:26 AM

R58 Even now I see teenage Molly Ringwald someone totally plain and uninteresting with heavy Teutonic bone structure.

by Anonymousreply 66July 10, 2021 3:29 AM

[quote]And Demi Moore and Jennifer Connolly were far more striking in the looks department and they weren't blonde.

Jennifer Connolly was pretty, but in no way was Demi Moore, with her plain-without-makeup trailer park looks and thin lips, prettier than 16 year-old Molly Ringwald.

by Anonymousreply 67July 10, 2021 3:36 AM

Personally I would put Gen X a few years before 1965. Quentin Tarantino and Janeane Garofalo, those two quintessential Gen Xers, were born in '63 and '64 respectively.

by Anonymousreply 68July 10, 2021 3:37 AM

I agree that Demi is overrated. But I think what helped Demi was her raw sluttiness similar to Madonna. Molly comes across as a boring, churchy girl.

by Anonymousreply 69July 10, 2021 3:38 AM

Demi Moore always had a hard white trash look to her. She never would've been convincing in the roles Molly Ringwald played. There was never anything "fresh and innocent" about Moore, she always had that tough "I've been around" thing about her.

by Anonymousreply 70July 10, 2021 3:38 AM

[quote]heavy Teutonic bone structure.

What in the fucking hell does this mean, exactly?

by Anonymousreply 71July 10, 2021 3:39 AM

[quote]Molly comes across as a boring, churchy girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72July 10, 2021 3:40 AM

[quote] in no way was Demi Moore, with her plain-without-makeup trailer park looks and thin lips, prettier than 16 year-old Molly Ringwald.

Sure, sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73July 10, 2021 3:45 AM

Demi Moore was always considered more attractive than Molly. Is John Hughes posting from the grave?

by Anonymousreply 74July 10, 2021 3:46 AM

Daphne Zuniga, Lori Loughlin and Ione Skye are also very pretty.

by Anonymousreply 75July 10, 2021 3:47 AM

Demi Moore was pretty and sensuous, lantern-jawed Molly Ringwald looked like a dental secretary hoping to land the boss’ son, I guess that’s why she was considered “relatable”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76July 10, 2021 3:50 AM

Demi had striking green eyes, long lush black hair, olive skin and a raspy voice. Had more of a seductive and adventurous tomboy vibe. She didn't come across as a spoiled princess type.

by Anonymousreply 77July 10, 2021 3:55 AM

R73 proves the "Demi is average" point. She's practically had an entire body lift since then, and the improvement is nil.

by Anonymousreply 78July 10, 2021 3:57 AM

Anything with Molly Ringwald feels like it's from another century

by Anonymousreply 79July 10, 2021 3:59 AM

I'm sorry but Demi is above average in looks to me. I don't see a lot of black-haired, green-eyed, statuesque white girls like her. Molly is far more average-looking and see tons of girls that look like Molly on college campuses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80July 10, 2021 4:00 AM

Hey y'all!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 10, 2021 4:04 AM

Demi in About Last Night was pretty before the plastic surgery

by Anonymousreply 82July 10, 2021 4:05 AM

[quote]I don't see a lot of black-haired, green-eyed, statuesque white girls like her

5'5" is statuesque? Isn't Brigette Nielsen, like, 6'2"?

by Anonymousreply 83July 10, 2021 4:05 AM

Thank you, OP. This thread is exactly what I needed tonight. Cheers.

by Anonymousreply 84July 10, 2021 4:11 AM

Molly was totally right as Claire. Not the prettiest, of course. But as a rich, pampered princess in a big suburban high school? She was Claire. The monied kids and the beautiful kids often run together.

by Anonymousreply 85July 10, 2021 4:35 AM

That bitch better have said hello to Brian in the hallways whenever she saw him

by Anonymousreply 86July 10, 2021 4:42 AM

R86 yes!

by Anonymousreply 87July 10, 2021 5:15 AM

Molly was also perfect as Samantha. Though she was a bit of a borderline bitch in that movie. Anyway, in that film she wasn’t supposed to be a raving beauty. She was cute though, but with a bad haircut. I remember a thread here about Sixteen Candles and a poster kept going on and on about how unrealistic it was that Jake would fall for her. It was annoying, but also funny as hell because they took it so seriously.

by Anonymousreply 88July 10, 2021 4:38 PM

I guess she was sort of the 80s version of Kristin Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 89July 11, 2021 3:54 AM

^No, that was Mary Stuart Masterson.

Stewart is a dead ringer for her in At Close Range.

by Anonymousreply 90July 11, 2021 4:08 AM

Molly was an everygirl type. Not pretty nor stood out too much. Easy for the female audience to identify with. Not aspirational or perfect looking. Yet had hot guys going after her. Total wish fulfillment. That's why she is similar to Kristen Stewart. Kristen even got cast as Snow White in a movie.

by Anonymousreply 91July 11, 2021 4:17 AM

Kristen Stewart reads as really dykey and has a sullen, unpleasant demeanor. You can't compare her to Molly at all.

by Anonymousreply 92July 11, 2021 4:19 AM

It's fiction.

by Anonymousreply 93July 11, 2021 4:29 AM

[quote]I guess she was sort of the 80s version of Kristin Stewart.

No, Kristin Stewart would be the millennial version of Molly Ringwald, but such is not the case. Molly didn't have the sullen, dykey appeal.

by Anonymousreply 94July 11, 2021 3:32 PM

Shailene Woodley was the late Millenial/early Gen Z answer to Molly Ringwald. Apart from starring in The Secret Life of the American Teenager, she was even in a string of popular teen movies in the 2010s. She paired with some really hot guys. Molly even played her mother in TSLOAT.

by Anonymousreply 95July 17, 2021 5:33 AM

Molly was the most beautifil girl on The Facts of Life.

by Anonymousreply 96July 17, 2021 5:52 AM

That PIP prom dress really needed a Carrie ending.

I knew Molly when we were kids in the 70s. She was a stuckup little suburban brat.

by Anonymousreply 97July 17, 2021 6:28 AM

I had boy toy/Desperately Seeking Susan era Madonna posters on my wall I don't know anyone who admired Molly Ringwald

by Anonymousreply 98July 17, 2021 6:29 AM

^MARY!

by Anonymousreply 99July 17, 2021 10:22 AM

Did anyone actually see Fresh Horses? I never did? Weren't they trying to branch Molly out from the rest of the Brat Pack? if you did see it, was it any good? What was it about?

by Anonymousreply 100July 17, 2021 4:56 PM

10 years later, I ended up working at the Stardust, darlin'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101July 17, 2021 5:38 PM

[quote]Did anyone actually see Fresh Horses? I never did? Weren't they trying to branch Molly out from the rest of the Brat Pack? if you did see it, was it any good? What was it about?

I've seen it several times, the first time being back in the '80s. It's like a darker version of PIP. Molly still plays the girl from the wrong side of the tracks to Andrew's rich WASP, but this time she's 16 and he's a college student engaged to a wealthy young woman. It flopped at the box office, but I like the moody atmosphere of it. Molly's character, an mysterious country girl named Jewel, meets Andrew's character Matt the morning after a raucous party he attended with some buddies at an old country house. He falls head over heels for her and ends up breaking it off with his fiance, but later finds out that Jewel holds some dark secrets. The cast includes a young Ben Stiller and a creepy turn by Viggo Mortensen as a man who is involved with Jewel. The film was based on an Off-Broadway play that starred Craig Sheffer and Suzy Amis.

by Anonymousreply 102July 17, 2021 7:59 PM

[quote] Molly was also perfect as Samantha. Though she was a bit of a borderline bitch in that movie. Anyway, in that film she wasn’t supposed to be a raving beauty. She was cute though, but with a bad haircut. I remember a thread here about Sixteen Candles and a poster kept going on and on about how unrealistic it was that Jake would fall for her. It was annoying, but also funny as hell because they took it so seriously.

A more realistic interpretation is that Jake didn't fall for Sam. They have nothing in common at all, Jake is a misogynist and Sam is shallow and only likes Jake for his looks. What it really was is Jake just really wanted to bang her because he was bored with his slutty blonde girlfriend who could easily dump him for any other stud (and she does but for Anthony Michael Hall). Sam is implied to be unpopular, a virgin and she's obsessed with Jake. So she was perfect for Jake's ego boost, he would pop her cherry and then would dump her once he graduates and went off to college. Sam would get over and learn her lesson to not chase after douchey guys for their looks alone and she would find an eccentric hipster dude who shares her interests.

by Anonymousreply 103July 18, 2021 12:53 AM

Remember Molly in the TV movie "Something to Live For: The Alison Gertz Story"?

by Anonymousreply 104July 18, 2021 1:06 AM

John Hughes was such a mega dork lol. He clearly fantasized about being part of the rich and beautiful in-crowd in high school. His high school films were almost like him trying to make his teenage wishes fulfilled. He had a creepy crush on Molly Ringwald (who was underage btw) and tried to put her in all of his films. Weird Science was also his clearly his fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 105July 18, 2021 1:15 AM

Hughes supposedly wanted Molly to play Amanda in Some Kind of Wonderful, but she turned the role down and it was a long time before he forgave her.

by Anonymousreply 106July 18, 2021 1:54 AM

I'm sure Molly must have realized Hughes had a crush on her and decided to bail on him. She probably felt she could have remained a star without him but ended up with a rude awakening when her post-Hughes films flopped.

by Anonymousreply 107July 18, 2021 2:29 AM

I did like the John Hughes movie Uncle Buck, the two little kids were adorable and I usually don't like kids in movies.

by Anonymousreply 108July 18, 2021 2:38 AM

I should start a thread on Stephen King, I wonder if he has some hidden kink.

by Anonymousreply 109July 18, 2021 2:39 AM

John Hughes is basically the one responsible for Macaulay Culkin's career too. Uncle Buck was Culkin's breakthrough and Home Alone was written for him and he became a big star shortly after. Not that that is bad thing. He was a cute and funny child actor. He grew up odd but given his shitty parents and "friendship" with Michael Jackson that is to expected.

by Anonymousreply 110July 18, 2021 2:44 AM

R103, yes, that was the realistic version of the story, but I don’t think that would’ve sold and made it the classic it is. 😂

by Anonymousreply 111July 18, 2021 5:06 AM

Looking through Jon Cryer's filmography. It was mostly flops that nobody remembers. He was completely washed up until Two and a Half Men. Charlie Sheen who was his friend, requested Jon to be cast as his brother.

by Anonymousreply 112July 19, 2021 9:05 PM

Don’t get the love for John Hughes films. “Breakfast club” was ok I suppose, “sixteen candles” was like a cartoon anc “pretty in pink” was one long cliche, from the girl from the wrong side of the tracks literally. The only John Hughes movie I like is “some kind of wonderful” probably because he didn’t direct that one.

by Anonymousreply 113July 19, 2021 9:15 PM

He didn't direct Pretty in Pink either.

by Anonymousreply 114July 19, 2021 9:21 PM

One thing I've noticed about Hughes films are the underlying 1950s-style conservatism to them. Not only is there casual racism, homophobia and misogyny but the blatant classism and idealization of materialism and suburban life. Everything goes back to the status quo. I was not shocked to find he was a Reagan supporter.

by Anonymousreply 115July 19, 2021 9:23 PM

Pretty in Pink and Some Kind of Wonderful had great soundtracks, but they were the worst of the Hughes teen films. Even when I was a teen myself there was something musty, dreary and old-fashioned about them. At least 16 Candles, Weird Science and Ferris Bueller had some vulgar energy.

by Anonymousreply 116July 19, 2021 9:33 PM

[quote]One thing I've noticed about Hughes films are the underlying 1950s-style conservatism to them. Not only is there casual racism, homophobia and misogyny but the blatant classism and idealization of materialism and suburban life. Everything goes back to the status quo. I was not shocked to find he was a Reagan supporter.

So much of culture in that period was a 50s revival, even if not as blatantly as Back to the Future or Peggy Sue Got Married.

Conservatism runs deep through 80s teen movies. Look at slasher movies.

by Anonymousreply 117July 19, 2021 9:43 PM

I think Hughes is much better at comedy. Ferris Bueller, Weird Science and the National Lampoon Vacation series are hilarious. But his version of high school was outdated and far removed from reality for it to work in a serious manner. I agree that The Breakfast Club is a great film but I think that had more to do with the actors and their chemistry because it could easily been a cliche fest and it was but it worked.

by Anonymousreply 118July 19, 2021 9:50 PM

I lide,nay,loved all of Hughes movies but 16 Candles is my absolute favorite.

by Anonymousreply 119July 19, 2021 10:44 PM

You could say outdated but what he did worked. Nearly every teen and up has seen his films and loved them.

by Anonymousreply 120July 19, 2021 10:48 PM

Love those movies. So perfectly 80s.

by Anonymousreply 121July 19, 2021 10:55 PM

R120 Of course. I think they're enjoyable films but they are formulaic, rely on stereotypical tropes and reflect Hughes' experience and the values of the 1980s. As for every teen, I actually found Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Dazed & Confused to be more accurate portrayals of my adolescence. Most high schools from my experience are not cliquey with "in-crowds" mostly just bored and nihilistic teenagers who can't wait to get out and just smoke pot, fuck and have fun.

by Anonymousreply 122July 19, 2021 11:56 PM

[quote]I actually found Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Dazed & Confused to be more accurate portrayals of my adolescence.

I mean, given that the former was based on Cameron Crowe's real-life experiences going undercover in high school and the latter was made by a guy with something to say instead of a corporate agenda...

by Anonymousreply 123July 29, 2021 12:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!