Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fred Mertz

Why was William Frawley so much older than the others? He could have been the other’s father.

by Anonymousreply 69December 20, 2021 11:44 AM

Fascinating. Thanks for posting.

by Anonymousreply 1March 24, 2021 7:17 PM

Alcohol ages you quickly.

by Anonymousreply 2March 24, 2021 7:17 PM

I love juicy

by Anonymousreply 3March 24, 2021 7:20 PM

Lucy didn’t care as she was fucking him during the duration of the series.

by Anonymousreply 4March 24, 2021 7:30 PM

Fred was in vaudeville

by Anonymousreply 5March 24, 2021 7:59 PM

In real life, William Frawley was in vaudeville. He introduced several famous songs on stage for the first time, like "Nothing Could be Finer than to be in Carolina."

by Anonymousreply 6March 24, 2021 8:01 PM

Why didn't Fred and Ethel have children? Was that ever addressed?

by Anonymousreply 7March 24, 2021 8:02 PM

r4 It's true. Lucille referred to William as her big dick daddy from Cincinnati.

by Anonymousreply 8March 24, 2021 8:03 PM

Ethel was post menopausal

by Anonymousreply 9March 24, 2021 8:04 PM

r9 Even in her youth?

by Anonymousreply 10March 24, 2021 8:06 PM

Ethel had a botched back alley abortion when she was 15, rendering her "barren."

by Anonymousreply 11March 24, 2021 8:10 PM

"other's" ??

by Anonymousreply 12March 24, 2021 8:21 PM

Nertz to Mertz..

by Anonymousreply 13March 24, 2021 8:56 PM

[quote]Why didn't Fred and Ethel have children? Was that ever addressed?

It was a lavender marriage

by Anonymousreply 14March 24, 2021 8:57 PM

IIRC, Vivian Vance was actually younger than Lucille Ball, but played Ethel Mertz older. They always dressed her frumpier than Lucy to make her seem older. And pairing her with William Frawley completed the illusion. Casting Mrs. Trumbull as Fred’s wife might have been more realistic, tho.

by Anonymousreply 15March 24, 2021 9:07 PM

r15 Vivian Vance was born in 1909; Lucille in 1911.

by Anonymousreply 16March 24, 2021 10:29 PM

Seems like Barry Livingston had a few nice memories about the old drunk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 24, 2021 11:11 PM

He frequently had the shakes

by Anonymousreply 18March 24, 2021 11:12 PM

Why did he pull his pants up so high? How did he pull his pants up so high?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 24, 2021 11:18 PM

[quote] Why was William Frawley so much older than the others?

Because he was born many years before the rest of them, stupid.

by Anonymousreply 20March 24, 2021 11:33 PM

Frawley died on Hollywood Boulevard after leaving a movie theater where he had just seen Inside Daisy Clover starring Natalie Wood. According to Hollywood legend Vivian Vance was in a restaurant when she heard the news of his death Vivian Vance and was said to have exclaimed, "Champagne for everyone!"

by Anonymousreply 21March 24, 2021 11:55 PM

He was old, a tight wad and un-funny unless he was belittling Ethel.

by Anonymousreply 22March 25, 2021 12:16 AM

Inside Daisy Clover IS pretty bad.

by Anonymousreply 23March 25, 2021 12:22 AM

Frawley only seemed genuinely happy when performing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 25, 2021 12:50 AM

He had only one friend, Desi Arnaz.

by Anonymousreply 25March 25, 2021 12:57 AM

The reason he and Vivian Vance fell out and never were friendly with each other was because he found out she had complained to the producers about him being over 20 years older than her. He never forgave her for it.

by Anonymousreply 26March 25, 2021 12:59 AM

R23 Though not bad enough to cause a heart attack! LOL!

by Anonymousreply 27March 25, 2021 12:59 AM

R26 "Who'd believe I'd marry an old coot like him!"

Viv

by Anonymousreply 28March 25, 2021 1:00 AM

R22 Divorced in 1927 he never remarried though he had a lifelong romance with alcohol!

by Anonymousreply 29March 25, 2021 1:02 AM

I thought he was deeply closeted??

by Anonymousreply 30March 25, 2021 1:03 AM

R30 Repressed, yes. Believable

by Anonymousreply 31March 25, 2021 1:06 AM

[quote] The reason he and Vivian Vance fell out and never were friendly with each other was because he found out she had complained to the producers about him being over 20 years older than her.

He also pissed Vance off because he never read the script. Like many vaudevillians, he only learned his lines. It’s been said that in one of the episodes where Lucy was singing off key, he asked Vance why she was doing that. VV had to explain that Lucy singing off key was the joke. And there are other instances where he was confused because he didn’t read the whole script.

by Anonymousreply 32March 25, 2021 1:07 AM

When Barry Livingston reached his late 40s/early 50s I found him to be a very handsome man. He's one of those men for whom baldness works very well. Much better looking in middle age than his brother Stanley.

by Anonymousreply 33March 25, 2021 1:14 AM

VV is brilliant in r24’s clip. Watch her facial expressions. It really looks like some quickly rehearsed number that Ethel Mertz is not experienced enough for.

[quote] Why didn't Fred and Ethel have children? Was that ever addressed?

It’s never actually addressed, but their backstory is that they were trying to make it in vaudeville (think Rose in Gypsy). So it probably wasn’t convenient to wag children around with them. By the time they settled down and bought the building, Ethel was probably past child bearing years. You think even back then a woman past 35 wouldn’t risk it.

by Anonymousreply 34March 25, 2021 1:15 AM

He would apparently do the table read once and then throw away all the pages of script that had no lines for him and just concentrate on his lines and not bother with the other character's lines.

by Anonymousreply 35March 25, 2021 1:17 AM

You could hear Frawley doing Buddy's Blues from Follies or Mr. Cellophane.

by Anonymousreply 36March 25, 2021 1:18 AM

It's shocking how much shorter Barry is vs his brother Stanley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 25, 2021 1:29 AM

But then, now that I look at that picture more closely it looks like maybe Barry is sitting and the other two are standing.

by Anonymousreply 38March 25, 2021 1:33 AM

Fred strangled Grace Foster after she caught him peeping through her window, then incinerated her body in the furnace. That was one of my favorite episodes.

by Anonymousreply 39March 25, 2021 1:44 AM

r33 Barry looks good bald because he has remained fit. His brother Stanley has worn a wig for the past 40 years and also has gotten out of shape.

by Anonymousreply 40March 25, 2021 1:59 AM

Nobody on that show was looking at fugly Barry or Stanley. It was Don Grady they wanted to see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 25, 2021 2:09 AM

Although the casting is odd, you can't deny it worked out. And even though they detested each other in real life , that never came across on screen.

To this day, I wonder what ILL would've been like with original choices Gale Gordon and Bea Benadaret as the Mertzes.

by Anonymousreply 42March 25, 2021 2:19 AM

[quote] To this day, I wonder what ILL would've been like with original choices Gale Gordon and Bea Benadaret as the Mertzes.

A complete shitshow with Gordon chewing the scenery and Benadaret doing her simpering act. The gods were wise to step in and bring us Vance and Frawley.

by Anonymousreply 43March 25, 2021 2:32 AM

Benadaret wasn't simpering on The Beverly Hillbillies but Vance could certainly be simpering as Ethel.

by Anonymousreply 44March 25, 2021 2:45 AM

One of the ILL books says that Frawley complained because in the credits VV’s name was before his. (And he had a point because he had several movie credits). Desi had to convince him that it was “ladies first”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 25, 2021 2:49 AM

Just watch the show again in forty years, OP. You'll be amazed at how youthful and handsome Fred has become.

by Anonymousreply 46March 25, 2021 2:52 AM

R37 R38 IMDB lists his height at 5'5" Runt of the litter

by Anonymousreply 47March 25, 2021 3:06 AM

There were some very sweet scenes involving Little Ricky and Fred. When Keith Thibodeaux first appeared on I Love Lucy, his first scene was with William Frawley. He is so taken with the kid doing so well in the scene, that he breaks character and tells Ricky "ain't he a dandy?" I find it very endearing, both from a Fred M. and a William F. point of view. Another great scene with them involves Little Ricky naming his little puppy "Fred". Lucy asks him "why?". Little Ricky looks at Fred M. and very sincerely announces "I always name my pets after people I like." Probably the scene that gets to me the most is when Fred wins a horse thanks to Lucy entering him in a contest in her manic desire to send as many contest entries as possible by entering the names of all her friends, too. Fred starts out being a turd saying that he will give the horse to Ricky if the price is right. Little Ricky tells Fred that he wants Fred to be the first to ride "Whirling Jet" and Fred melts, picks up Little Ricky and tells him, "No, you ride him first. After all he's your horse." There are other examples, of course only to be found in seasons 5 and 6, after Keith T. began playing Little Ricky. They make Fred/William downright sweet and charming, to me, at least.

by Anonymousreply 48March 25, 2021 3:21 AM

Contrast that to Gale Gordon who never showed any warmth or empathy. He was perfect for Mr. Mooney but as wrong as can be for Fred Mertz.

by Anonymousreply 49March 25, 2021 3:24 AM

I think if Gordon had played Fred, the role would have been written differently.

It would have been a very loud show because Ricky would have been doing his Spanish foaming at the mouth and Gordon would have been shouting all his lines like he did in the other Lucy shows.

And can you see Ricky going to the fights with Gale Gordon like he did with Frawley? Nobody would believe GG at the fights.

by Anonymousreply 50March 25, 2021 3:44 AM

Somehow it worked. Fred, Rick, and the girls.

by Anonymousreply 51March 25, 2021 3:46 AM

R24 His voice is good. I want to muzzle Viv.

by Anonymousreply 52March 25, 2021 3:54 AM

William Frawley was quite the ladies man, in addition to fucking Lucy on the down low, he was fucking Mamie Van Doren and Jennifer O'neill when she was still a teen.

by Anonymousreply 53March 25, 2021 3:58 AM

[quote] I want to muzzle Viv.

She was actually a good singer. That clip is not in a key suitable to her voice. They may have pitched it for William Frawley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54March 25, 2021 4:05 AM

Singing was another source of friction between Vance and Frawley. He hated her voice and constantly belittled her singing, which she resented.

by Anonymousreply 55March 25, 2021 4:24 AM

I think all Frawley's and Vance's issues stemmed from the original insult of Vance not wanting Frawley to play her husband because he was so much older. Like most people who fall out with each other forever they both looked for any reason they could find to besmirch each other.

And frankly, matronly looking Vance did not look over 20 years younger than Frawley. The age difference was certainly not anything the audience picked up on either. It sounds like Vance took the casting of Frawley as a personal insult and childishly never let it go. Vance and Frawley were actually offered their own spin-off and Frawley put his dislike of Vance aside and was all for it. But ol' harpy Vance said no way. She said she didn't think the characters could pull it off without Lucy and Ricky & she simply refused to work with Frawley again.

No wonder Lucille had to be such a hard taskmaster on that set. The best off-camera line Vance ever uttered IMO was one day on the set Lucille was taking no prisoners and Vance was a couple of minutes late for her call and Lucille admonished her for it in front of everyone with a curt "you're late!". Vance responded "I would tell you to go fuck yourself, but Ricky already did".

by Anonymousreply 56March 25, 2021 11:31 AM

r56 = Phil Ober

by Anonymousreply 57March 25, 2021 11:50 AM

[quote] Why was William Frawley so much older than the others?

He was born years earlier.

by Anonymousreply 58March 25, 2021 12:09 PM

r58 meet r20

by Anonymousreply 59March 25, 2021 1:14 PM

[quote] Lucille was taking no prisoners and Vance was a couple of minutes late for her call and Lucille admonished her for it in front of everyone with a curt "you're late!". Vance responded "I would tell you to go fuck yourself, but Ricky already did".

Lucille was not a stupid woman. She realized how VV’s talents complemented her own. She dumped Desi, the brains behind Desilu Studio, but she kept reaching out to VV every time she needed a sidekick.

by Anonymousreply 60March 25, 2021 3:23 PM

VV reportedly gave a make-up person a ride home after the first table read for ILL. The make-up person called Lucille Ball a bitch. VV supposedly answered, "Yeah, she might be a bitch but I'm gonna make that bitch love me."

The plan seems to have worked.

by Anonymousreply 61March 25, 2021 3:31 PM

Vance was an experienced amateur actress when she moved to NYC and first made her mark as a singer in a series of hit 1930s musicals. She gradually moved up from the chorus to featured supporting roles. In one show, she was Ethel Merman's understudy. In other words, an experienced professional singer.

by Anonymousreply 62March 26, 2021 5:39 AM

Daddy issues are real for many, OP.

by Anonymousreply 63March 26, 2021 6:16 AM

I’ve been watching reruns again lately and have realized that the Mertzs took a lot of financial advantage of Lucy and Ricky. I know Fred was cheap, but they were not bad off since they owned the building. One ep I remember was when Ricky sold them the washing machine and then it broke, they wanted money back for it. Then they were pissed that Ricky didn’t buy them train tickets to go back to NY from LA. Meanwhile Ricky was probably footing the bill for that entire stay. So entitled. I think there was another ep about subletting the apartment. There’s probably a ton more examples. They rode on the the Ricardo coattails. I’ve never heard this come up before.

by Anonymousreply 64December 18, 2021 5:04 AM

[quote] Fred was in vaudeville

Who was that, and why wasn’t Ethel upset?

by Anonymousreply 65December 18, 2021 5:15 AM

[quote] You think even back then a woman past 35 wouldn’t risk it.

No I don’t. Don’t tell me what I think.

by Anonymousreply 66December 18, 2021 5:17 AM

I’ll say this, VV definitely sounded a lot better than Lucille in later years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67December 19, 2021 9:33 PM

Because I wasn't a raging alcoholic, r67

by Anonymousreply 68December 20, 2021 10:41 AM

Bless you OP

by Anonymousreply 69December 20, 2021 11:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!