Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

People who start melting down when their looks fade, because it was their "entry card".

I've known a handful of people that I've essentially watched have a slow life meltdown because they started getting older and losing their looks. I really do believe great looks opens doors and sometimes keeps them open.

I know a guy who was soooo good looking when he was younger. His name was Duwee, believe it or not. Blond hair, blue eyes, great smile. Truly gorgeous when he was young. And boy did he know it. He ran with a fast gay crowd and was one of the pretty boys. And I think his looks likely got him jobs and generally made life easier for him. He didn't have to work as hard, could sort of phone it in at the office, and would get away with it because of his looks. Everyone wanted him around. But then when he started getting to middle age and things started softening, as it were, he found himself being held accountable at work more, and his relationships didn't go quite as well, and at some point lost his job, went into a downward spiral, started drinking heavily, and then lost his relationship and ended up essentially living with a friend until that friend kicked him out. Now he lives with his parents in a rural area and lets other people keep him housed and fed.

A good lesbian friend of mine, Jade, was truly stunning when she was younger. Definitely a lipstick lesbian with great clothes, gorgeous hair, etc. Really made an entrance and made a first impression. She was always invited to the best parties and everyone would always say "Oh Jade's here!" and be excited just because her pretty, stylish self simply walked in the door. Now, she's 55 and her cheeks are sagging, she has a superfine dusting of facial hair all over her face, and essentially spends her weekends in her bed, depressed most of the time, because her life isn't as fabulous as it once was.

Beauty won't stick around forever, people. You gotta have some brains and some game to back it up. Don't rely on it! It won't last!

by Anonymousreply 226April 3, 2021 4:43 AM

Tell us about your looks, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1March 22, 2021 7:33 PM

Beautiful does fade but if you are smart you know how to use it to get you to where you won’t need to rely on it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2March 22, 2021 7:33 PM

I agree Miss OP. I was just like the man you described. I was in for a rude awakening as I hit middle age. Either you grow up and realize that pretty privilege is fleeting and change your entitled attitudes ASAP or you become bitter and angry. I sometimes cringe and am ashamed at my past behavior.

by Anonymousreply 3March 22, 2021 7:36 PM

Can we talk...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 22, 2021 7:41 PM

Age is the great equalizer. I'll admit to tons of schadenfreude when watching people's looks fade. I'm talking about people who used their looks in an unfair way. But people allow it (bosses promoting the pretty employees, etc.). It can't exist (pretty privilege) without enabling.

by Anonymousreply 5March 22, 2021 7:42 PM

this happed to me and I avoid leaving the house now.

by Anonymousreply 6March 22, 2021 7:49 PM

I've never trusted people's interest in my looks. I expect that I'll be fine - in that area, at least.

by Anonymousreply 7March 22, 2021 7:51 PM

I witnessed it so many times at gay clubs..The Arrival and all the queens almost squealing with delight. Eventually, the squeals lessened, and interest faded..but there is always another contestant waiting in the wings and like clockwork, the squeals commenced. I have to admit in my present position, I do go out of my way to help a handsome co-worker, guilty.

by Anonymousreply 8March 22, 2021 7:54 PM

For me, it started with the talkies.

by Anonymousreply 9March 22, 2021 8:13 PM

I dated a guy very briefly who was past his prime when I met but the more I learned of him the more u realized how damaged he was by his aging. He would be very calm and kind and the snap into very bitter and vicious mode. In a good mood he would show me videos of his old theatrical triumphs, some very amateurish productions that got a bit if attention from s few fashionable people when he was indeed strikingly good looking.. It was as if he had seen his life as an arc of promise...and then not. He inherited some money, did famously by real estate, but turned into s moody thing : one day in s fine humor, the next trawling sex apps in order to attack people interested in him for their shortcomings: looks, teeth, skin, housing , anything below the belt was the good stuff. He was akways provoking friends into terrible rows, eventually chastising them with low blows about living with a roommate, or having a shit job. The dating didn't last long, but all the evidence mounted up that it was about his disappointment in his looks falling very fast and with it his fall from a bit of spotlight.

A friend of many years has a similar problem I'm certain, always using social media to relive the highlights if when he had his looks and could turn heads, and when his career was rising ever upward. He is insightful and self deprecatingly funny on one occasion and bitter and cranky and list in his own past that didn't turn out as he would have liked. Odd to me because he has so many things that others problem envy in him, but he just sees his own downward turn.

by Anonymousreply 10March 22, 2021 8:42 PM

I'm a female who was bullied for being "ugly" starting in middle school. Even through my 20s, strangers on the street would remind me how ugly I am. Now in my 40s, I'm getting a break. I guess because women become invisible in their 40s, so there's less of an expectation of physical beauty. Both men and women my age are nicer to me now. They grew up and the ones who are pretty are a little sad from losing their privilege.

by Anonymousreply 11March 22, 2021 8:45 PM

R11 I'm sorry you had that experience with people. They were showing you how ugly THEY were on the inside.

I've not had a personal experience of the "hot" that I knew becoming "not" -- but I'm now 50, maybe it will happen. I've known more "not" in high school or college, that became hot later.

by Anonymousreply 12March 22, 2021 8:50 PM

Reality in the USA more than anywhere else I’d wager. Geigh world: YUGE! Guess I am glad I’ve always been average! Lol...I really do pity the older, superficial kaweens who were able to coast on their looks. Some have worked on themselves (internally), but most seem exceptionally bitter and distraught that they are no longer on the top of the ghey food chain.

by Anonymousreply 13March 22, 2021 8:56 PM

I know someone whose suicide was connected to loss of looks. She was beautiful in a kind of hard, unique way that then started to go into full on harshness at forty. It wasn’t just looks for her, it was also youth and being in an industry where you lose your value after thirty. I’m not very happy to have sagging jowls, but I am not emotionally affected by my changing face that much. I never thought of myself as a great beauty when I was younger, so I focused more on other things. I’m glad now, but I’m not ruling out a neck lift!

by Anonymousreply 14March 22, 2021 9:13 PM

There's a song about it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 22, 2021 9:19 PM

I’m in my late 30s and my peers are starting to enter the stage where they make questionable cosmetic choices out of fear. A beautiful, successful friend recently had her lips injected with something, I don’t know what. They look cartoonish.

by Anonymousreply 16March 22, 2021 9:21 PM

I turn 50 this year and now look my age after looking younger than my age for most of my life. I’ve never thought I was that attractive, but I guess I did enjoy looking “young.” Oh, well.

by Anonymousreply 17March 22, 2021 9:44 PM

Age is the great equalizer.

Um. No. Pretty boys become handsome men. Ugly boys become trolls.

by Anonymousreply 18March 23, 2021 6:02 AM

I know a very handsome, wealthy actor who killed himself when his looks started to go. Planned his suicide meticulously.

by Anonymousreply 19March 23, 2021 7:46 AM

OP isn’t wrong. My sister was beautiful like Farrah when she was young. She is still attractive, but she is middle aged and doesn’t get the kind of attention she once did. She is a narcissistic little shit who is losing it mentally.

by Anonymousreply 20March 23, 2021 8:10 AM

"I've got to get back in the that bubble!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 23, 2021 8:24 AM

I wouldn't know anything about that!

by Anonymousreply 22March 23, 2021 8:25 AM

How did DL icon Betty Bacall deal with the hardening of her looks when she hit her late twenties? Her ego must have taken quite a blow.

by Anonymousreply 23March 23, 2021 8:29 AM

People who see no point in living after their looks are gone have no point in living. R19 is right.

by Anonymousreply 24March 23, 2021 8:36 AM

The daughter of a family we knew, she was pretty and always the center of attention with men. She hit 40 and was dealing with some illness and took her life. She never developed a personality or skill outside her looks and when she lost them couldn't deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 25March 23, 2021 8:40 AM

Those who unravel because of loss of youth and beauty do so because they have avoided reality for far too long, and when it hits them in the face like a slap of cold wind, they realize that everything they have been, lived, and had has been nothing but a collection of falsity, fantasy, and illusion - gone suddenly, like a wisp of smoke.

Sad.

by Anonymousreply 26March 23, 2021 8:41 AM

How did DL icon Betty Bacall deal with the hardening of her looks when she hit her late twenties? Her ego must have taken quite a blow.

I thought Bacall looked better when she was older, post facelift, in her 60s and 7os, and loved her sultry transatlantic accent.

by Anonymousreply 27March 23, 2021 8:48 AM

From OP: "Beauty won't stick around forever, people. You gotta have some brains and some game to back it up."

I got news for you, OP; brains don't last forever, either.

by Anonymousreply 28March 23, 2021 8:49 AM

Jennifer North in Valley of the Dolls *SPOILER* commited suicide because she didn't want a mastectomy.

by Anonymousreply 29March 23, 2021 8:49 AM

You've got to develop some charm and sense of humour about yourself, some class and dignity, and dress well....in order to stay relatively attractive once your looks are gone

by Anonymousreply 30March 23, 2021 8:50 AM

Remember the Amy Schumer sketch with the woman celebrating her last fuckable birthday?

by Anonymousreply 31March 23, 2021 8:51 AM

The saddest are the ones that don't realise they're past their used by date and still think they can pull in young guys, their narcissism won't let them admit defeat and the day they admit it to themselves is the day they kill themselves.

by Anonymousreply 32March 23, 2021 8:55 AM

I love that scene from The Mirror Has Two Faces where the ugly Babs asks her beautiful mum Bacall what it was like to be beautiful and Betty looks at her and says, oh, it was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 33March 23, 2021 9:04 AM

I don't understand how people do online dating. It's just about how hot you are, not who you really are.

It's dick. You could be a murderer and if you're hot...?

by Anonymousreply 34March 23, 2021 9:05 AM

I fell in love with a guy who is really not that great looking, but i absolutely adore him. It was a lesson in prejudice for me

by Anonymousreply 35March 23, 2021 9:08 AM

R33 wait a minute, Babs had Bacall as her mother? Who was the father, Mr. Ed?

by Anonymousreply 36March 23, 2021 9:08 AM

It comes down to how well you adjust to change. Rich people suddenly having to live on a budget, pretty people looking average almost overnight, employed / in a relationship / poor one day and then unemployed / getting dumped / rich the other.

Smart people prepare for change. Others live like the glory will never end.

by Anonymousreply 37March 23, 2021 9:11 AM

r36 it's just a movie, hun.

by Anonymousreply 38March 23, 2021 9:16 AM

[quote] I love that scene from The Mirror Has Two Faces where the ugly Babs asks her beautiful mum Bacall what it was like to be beautiful and Betty looks at her and says, oh, it was wonderful.

Edited out of that scene must have been Bacall's adlibbed response. "Was? I still am beautiful, you ungrateful twat. Well, far more beautiful than you can even dream of being, you gargoyle."

Babs used her own real-life dad's picture for the character of her dead father in the movie. I think it was a lot of wish fulfilment for homely Barbara Joan, imagining a glamorous Lauren Bacall as her mother instead of her own frumpy, dowdy mom.

by Anonymousreply 39March 23, 2021 9:21 AM

A lot of women and men in lower-middle management hit the wall psychologically when they fail to immediately charm the room based on their looks, usually in their mid-30s and become nightmare workmates.

by Anonymousreply 40March 23, 2021 9:28 AM

Lucky me, this won't be a problem. I've always been ugly.

by Anonymousreply 41March 23, 2021 9:30 AM

[quote]I dated a guy very briefly who was past his prime when I met but the more I learned of him the more u realized how damaged he was by his aging. He would be very calm and kind and the snap into very bitter and vicious mode. In a good mood he would show me videos of his old theatrical triumphs, some very amateurish productions that got a bit if attention from s few fashionable people when he was indeed strikingly good looking.. It was as if he had seen his life as an arc of promise...and then not

r10 Many film critics are guilty of bigging up mediocre performances by beautiful actors. See the wooden Natalie Portman, who had the sexual fantasies of critics imprinted on her since her debut, and Tom Cruise, whose big grin embodied the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 42March 23, 2021 9:34 AM

SURPRISE!

We all get old and die.

by Anonymousreply 43March 23, 2021 10:10 AM

Not on DL, R43. Here people may get oldER but they still look 25.

by Anonymousreply 44March 23, 2021 10:21 AM

Beauty fades, but dumb is forever.

by Anonymousreply 45March 23, 2021 10:25 AM

[quote] Here people may get oldER but they still look 25.

With a little help from Abercrombie & Fitch.

by Anonymousreply 46March 23, 2021 10:26 AM

I had a friend at uni who always looked like he was taking a break from being photographed for a GQ cover. It wasn't just his physical perfection, it was his countenance. He knew it was a barrier to being taken seriously. I saw him try so hard to overcome that gap, and try in some way to bridge it. I sadly lost touch with him, due to my being too young to understand that he was interested in friendship and could be loyal.

by Anonymousreply 47March 23, 2021 12:35 PM

I think it was Rodney Dangerfield who said something like "Beauty is only on the surface but ugly goes down to the bone."

by Anonymousreply 48March 23, 2021 12:44 PM

THEN AGAIN, better to be a attractive 50, 60, 70, 80 year old oneself than a unattractive person of those same ages.... the problem is when you/they try to compete with a) their younger self and b) those who are decades younger....

by Anonymousreply 49March 23, 2021 1:33 PM

I haven't really observed a crash and burn of someone whose looks went, but most of my friends and I are ordinary-looking people, so there was never special treatment for those of us in the middle of the pack. I have noticed that I generally looked better in old pictures than I thought at the time—I was my own harshest critic.

by Anonymousreply 50March 23, 2021 2:02 PM

Oh no. Is this what I have to look forward to 20-25 years from now?

by Anonymousreply 51March 23, 2021 2:12 PM

A bit of schadenfreude, OP?

by Anonymousreply 52March 23, 2021 2:22 PM

I thought youth would last a little longer.

Being young, you have no frame of reference. I thought becoming old would feel more like 100 years than 20 years.

The years flew by.

by Anonymousreply 53March 23, 2021 3:33 PM

When you are young, mature adults dismiss you and your opinions. When you are old and mature yourself you realize this dismissal of the young is sometimes rooted in envy.

by Anonymousreply 54March 23, 2021 3:42 PM

This happens all the time. For those who were aware of their looks and used it, the fall is almost painful to watch. Almost. Usually these people treated others like shit their whole lives and could only associate with others who were as good looking.

For those who were good looking but not obsessed with it, they do fine.

Neither group really understands all of the advantages they were handed. But that's life. Most privileged people don't think they are privileged.

by Anonymousreply 55March 23, 2021 3:45 PM

R34 I would have never been able to meet somebody like my partner online, he is much better looking than me. We met in class and he got to know me and really enjoyed my personality, if somebody judged me on my looks alone I am pretty average.

by Anonymousreply 56March 23, 2021 3:59 PM

Heather Locklear melted down in front of the world when she lost her looks.

by Anonymousreply 57March 23, 2021 4:06 PM

You see this all the time with actresses: Farrah Fawcett, Heather Locklear, Demi Moore, Angelina Jolie. As soon as their looks begin to fade, the cray-cray behavior ramps up.

I read an article where Paulina Porizkova said that when she began to lose her looks in middle-age (though IMO she's still beautiful), she felt like something had been stolen from her.

by Anonymousreply 58March 23, 2021 4:07 PM

Talking about LOOKS, I watched a short film on youtube about a guy who was HORRIBLY disfigured in a fire. He's gay and he meets a good looking guy in a bar and they go back to his apartment for sex. It's called - The Things YouThink I'm Thinking. I don't think in real life a good looking white guy would be attracted to this burn victim. What do DL Queens think?

by Anonymousreply 59March 23, 2021 4:08 PM

R58- Demi Moore was NEVER stunning.

by Anonymousreply 60March 23, 2021 4:09 PM

I have experienced the opposite somewhat, in that the people I know who were good-looking when young still retained a lot of their beauty. But a number of friends/associations really never fully adulted (maybe due to being coddled due to their looks) and became outright bores and shrews. I don't care how good-looking a person is; if they're a dolt, friendships with them are just too difficult to maintain. A colleague, who ended up becoming a pretty good friend for a few years, eventually caved in socially because she was just impossible to be around. She'd do stupid things and expect others to pick up the slack.

by Anonymousreply 61March 23, 2021 4:10 PM

Opinions on beauty vary, R60, but Demi was definitely a sex symbol. Her career came from her looks, not from a great deal of acting talent. Once she began to age, her career, unsurprisingly, was just about over.

by Anonymousreply 62March 23, 2021 4:11 PM

R62, believe it or not, the only movie of Demi Moore's that I've ever seen is GHOST, but I have to say that I think she's truly excellent in that. If she signed on for other projects that she wasn't suited for, that's a shame, but on the basis of GHOST alone, I would say she was very talented as long as she stayed in her wheelhouse.

OP, I've known some guys like the one you described, but I was struck by the fact that most of those guys were smart enough to know they would not be able to coast on their looks forever, so they developed whatever talents they had in order to get good jobs, rather than becoming someone's house boy.

by Anonymousreply 63March 23, 2021 4:18 PM

My guess is not the loss of looks that does it. It's the introduction of social consequences for people who never were forced to learn how to behave properly. R10 talks about a guy who would constantly get into fights with friends and insult them in tons of red flag kind of ways. Meaning, once someone does it once (maybe twice) its time to get the fuck away from a person like that. But when someone is young and hot, people make allowances for their behavior, overlook it, or drop away and are quickly replaced by one of many people competing to get into the circle and give that person attention.

by Anonymousreply 64March 23, 2021 4:18 PM

R58 - this is true of many actresses. I read so many articles of actresses complaining about how roles dry up for women after a certain age and that they want younger women.

Ok - that's a problem for sure. However, they NEVER acknowledge that they were on the receiving end of that structure when they were in their 20's and 30's. They just think they are the most talented actresses and their looks had nothing to do with it.

Tell that to the less than stellar looking female actors who never got those breaks. The hypocrisy is maddening.

by Anonymousreply 65March 23, 2021 4:22 PM

This is the thread where the uglies and plain Janes commiserate...

by Anonymousreply 66March 23, 2021 4:23 PM

"Beauty fades. Stupid is forever."

-Judge Judy

by Anonymousreply 67March 23, 2021 4:24 PM

Hollywood has gotten a LITTLE better about casting men in their 40s and 50s with twentysomething leading ladies, but it's still true that after 40, most actresses' prime years are over.

by Anonymousreply 68March 23, 2021 4:25 PM

I have dated my share of guys over the past years. I still am in touch with many...not all of course. The guys with the very big cocks I dated tend to have more career and money issues in their 50s and 60s because they probably didn't have to work as hard or work much at all when they were younger. I had one friend who is tall and has a very big dick whom everyone wanted to spend time with. He is now fat and living on SSI and seems pretty unhappy whenever I run into him. I don't think he can get hard without a lot of Viagra because he was using it 15 years ago. He is just one of many I know with Big Dick syndrome who failed to launch successful from young gaydom to middle aged gaydom. That big old dick can be a blessing and a curse. A blessing when young and hung and a curse when old and hung if you have nothing else happening.

by Anonymousreply 69March 23, 2021 4:28 PM

I've seen this happen first hand to several formerly gorgeous gay men. Now reduced to dried up husks. They are now bitter losers, and a couple of them died prematurely. Whereas, plain Jane me is doing better then ever in life as an eldergay with no problems and no regrets.

by Anonymousreply 70March 23, 2021 4:28 PM

R70- How old are yOU?

by Anonymousreply 71March 23, 2021 4:29 PM

To these people it's like the laws of physics have changed. All of their lives when a door said "push", and they pushed, it opened. Now, when they push suddenly the door doesn't budge. That's how it feels to them when their looks no longer "open doors" for them.

by Anonymousreply 72March 23, 2021 4:30 PM

I am sick of seeing movie stars looking beautiful. Takes away from the realism of the film. I like British shows for casting average looking people. What detective needs to look sexy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73March 23, 2021 4:30 PM

Casting more ordinary-looking people in films and TV shows would have a lot of positive effects: Talented but non-beautiful actors would get more chances to shine, and ordinary people wouldn't be subjected to such unrealistic beauty standards. Win-win.

by Anonymousreply 74March 23, 2021 4:36 PM

From the time I was a small child I constantly heard "what a beautiful little boy" .When I was a kid it annoyed me,but when I hit around 12 on I was thrilled with it (sex,dont ya know) . Its true that when your good looking people go the extra mile to accommodate you,and I was VERY full of myself indeed. Everything seemed easy to me because of it,men,jobs,money,friends etc. When I was 21 I met a guy who was nice enough,but a 5-6 on his very best day .He asked me out several times,and since I was an old hand at getting hit on by people I didnt particularly want,I always was very nice in my rejection. I was beautiful,but Id like to think I wasnt a bitch.

Anyhoo,I was also in a relationship at the time that ended rather spectacularly badly,and he came in that day where I worked and asked me out again. I thought "Ah what the hell,at least its free dinner" and agreed to go. As I was sitting across from him (judging his terrible table manners) I noticed (first time I really LOOKED at him) how big his hands were,how broad his shoulders were ,how thick his curly black hair was, and became intrigued. We went to his apt afterwards and ended up fucking till dawn. I was delighted to see under that plaid shirt (plaid!!!) and faded jeans was a 6'2 ,very nicely hairy,very nicely built ,well hung body ! No ass ,god love him,but a respectable 7 1/2 fat inches. I had been worshipped before of course,but that man made me feel like a God!

We spent that next weekend in bed from fri night till mon morning ,I lost count of the orgasms. For the first time ever I looked past the slightly crooked teeth and many times broken nose and saw the love in those big brown eyes and fell like a ton of bricks. We had 12 wonderful years together and I thanked god every day I got over my stupid superficial self and saw the person instead of the surface. I lost him in 94,and there is no doubt in my mind we would still be together today had he not died.

by Anonymousreply 75March 23, 2021 4:42 PM

That is so spot on R65. I roll my eyes when some actresses start complaining about ageism and sexism in their industry ........ after they start to age. Where was all that activism when they were young and benefitted handsomely (no pun intended) from that very system?

by Anonymousreply 76March 23, 2021 4:43 PM

SEE: Every DataLounger under forty

by Anonymousreply 77March 23, 2021 4:44 PM

You too can still be pretty! It's not just for high school girls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78March 23, 2021 4:51 PM

Well, this hit a chord.

Frau here. I distinctly remember walking on city streets (I was a teenager shopping with friends etc) and literally seeing people stop on the sidewalk and stare at me. I just thought they were strange, odd to be doing that to me, a complete stranger. Never clicked what that was about.

One incident that also stands out, a high school classmate said I would have made a Miss Universe. I just thought they were all out of their minds. So, I guess yes, people do judge you on your looks, gives you certain advantages in life. I remember one advantage: I got a job for a politician in a pool of 1,000 or so applicants. Again, didn't click but I was hired by the (male) politician who (much much later on) made a pass at me.

But I quickly figured it out (in my INTJ way) that whatever they thought was attractive was temporary. Was going to fade and that it was in the end, meaningless. So, I built my life around education, good work, and being a good person with interesting hobbies, etc. As a teenager, you'd see all these great and not so great actresses in their hey day and you saw that looks lasted a few years and they'd build their whole lives around this. Even their own self-esteem was based on looks. I figured out pretty early on that this "looks" game was dangerous and would not lead to any great sense of worth or ultimate happiness down the road.

To this day, looks mean nothing to me. Absolutely nothing.

by Anonymousreply 79March 23, 2021 4:53 PM

I was one of those who kept their looks until about age 55. Then all hell broke lose and I quickly aged. I do not recognize the man in the mirror. I look at pictures of myself from 15, 20 years ago and wonder "what the fuck happened to him?" But the good news is I knew this would happen and never freaked out. It's a fact of life for some people.

by Anonymousreply 80March 23, 2021 5:00 PM

R79 Meyers Briggs is fake. I mean, it's real if you believe in it, but I don't get how people think a few letters gets their personality type. When people mention their letters I feel like they would be suceptible to joining a cult.

by Anonymousreply 81March 23, 2021 5:09 PM

I'm middle-aged now, but people told me I was attractive when I was a young woman. It never really did anything for me beyond the occasional courtesy like a guy opening a door for me or letting me board first on a bus, LOL. There was also the negative such as really sleazy attention on the street which I hated and am glad is over. I was never a stunning beauty though and sometimes I look at people who are and wonder what it must be like to have the whole world fall at your feet and be able to get pretty much anyone you want. The downside to that is the rude awakening that comes when it all fades away and you're left grieving for what you had. Thankfully, that is not nor will it be my reality. I'm okay with losing whatever looks I had since it was never my calling card. The thing that freaks me out is losing physical and mental ability. That is what I'm concerned about holding onto. My looks can go to hell for all I care as long as I stay physically and mentally fit as I age.

by Anonymousreply 82March 23, 2021 5:22 PM

r79 here again. I left out an important tidbit. I learned that looks mean nothing from my own mother. She was obsessed with her looks (plastic surgery etc) and her whole life was based on men's reactions to her. I will spare some details here but I saw all this unfold as a teenager and changed my whole perspective pretty quickly. She was the most miserable, nasty, uncaring, selfish, ignorant, vile and dangerous person I've ever known.

INTJ - I referenced that as a nod to other threads on Myers Briggs - I wouldn't panic about this too much, r81,

by Anonymousreply 83March 23, 2021 5:23 PM

I've been told I have a great personality.

by Anonymousreply 84March 23, 2021 5:28 PM

r84 = Angelina Jolie

by Anonymousreply 85March 23, 2021 5:32 PM

[quote]Beautiful does fade but if you are smart you know how to use it to get you to where you won’t need to rely on it anymore.

Hear hear!

by Anonymousreply 86March 23, 2021 5:38 PM

[quote]I like British shows for casting average looking people. What detective needs to look sexy?

Fuck you, r73!

by Anonymousreply 87March 23, 2021 5:41 PM

One of the most attractive women I know is 66 years old--but she's also charming, interesting, kind-hearted--and probably was not considered beautiful when she was young. (But definitely cute.)

by Anonymousreply 88March 23, 2021 5:45 PM

[quote] You see this all the time with actresses: Farrah Fawcett, Heather Locklear, Demi Moore, Angelina Jolie. As soon as their looks begin to fade, the cray-cray behavior ramps up.

Also the men. Johnny Depp, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 89March 23, 2021 6:02 PM

[quote]One of the most attractive women I know is 66 years old--but she's also charming, interesting, kind-hearted--and probably was not considered beautiful when she was young.

From college, I always had much older friends and acquaintances so I never developed the idea that older people were a different species. Most I knew from common interests that would in time become my professional interests so they were not only older but far richer, more worldly, they had lived in far-flung places, changed their career paths a time or two, traveled everywhere, had a knowledge of art and literature, had owned villas in Italy and they were kind enough not only to tolerate me and in time but for us to become long term friends. Some of them had been head-turners in their younger ideas, some of them looked better as "distinguished" than they ever were especially handsome.

In college I had a professor who was in her late 40s, and stunning. It was a class of just two students so we became friendly and somehow the subject arose of those who were born beautiful and those who acquired their looks and look solidly in their adulthood. I asked her if she was one of the latter and she said that she was the ugly duckling all her life but at the point where her peers started complaining that their looks were falling, she started getting loads of compliments, the Fine Arts faculty started asking her to do sittings for portraits and sculptures, people in the street turned to get a better look at her where before she went unnoticed. She even showed me a couple of photos and while she was was certainly not ugly, she was unremarkable, a bit mousey or timid you could say, and I could understand what she meant when she said she left little impression on people.

From that discovery I started to pay more attention to how some people have an unexpected arc, they come into their own only once away at college or in middle age, or in old age. I discovered, too, that very often those people who come into their own a bit later in life or who hold their looks and wear them confidently even as they evolve with age (without endless surgeries and miracles of science) are interesting people, who share qualities of R88's example. It's not an even-handed form of justice, doling out good looks to some in their childhood, in their youth, or in their maturity, but somehow it's always nice (for me, at least) when I realize that someone hit his or her prime as an adult.

by Anonymousreply 90March 23, 2021 6:19 PM

This is why I'm not usually sad to see certain actors' careers fade when they get older and lose their looks. If that's all they were bringing to the plate and they have no talent, why would I even want to continue seeing them perform? I don't think we're missing out by not seeing any more performances from the Landers sisters.

by Anonymousreply 91March 24, 2021 12:52 AM

You can reinvent yourself and become a perpetual victim.

And get some nice mexican dick too.

by Anonymousreply 92March 24, 2021 1:09 AM

R91- A PERFECT example of this type of person is Julia Roberts

by Anonymousreply 93March 24, 2021 1:11 AM

When did Judy Landers have looks?

by Anonymousreply 94March 24, 2021 1:24 AM

I knew a man who was 25, who had an amazing body, a very handsome face and was an up and coming pro athlete. He came from money and was always comfortable and drove an expensive sports car. He was straight and dated the most beautiful women. I met several of his longtime girlfriends and they were stunning. He had a sparkling personality and was always happy. He was totally gay friendly and was the golden boy in everyone's eye. We had mutual friends and I'd see him a parties and events once or twice a month. I didn't see him for nearly a year, he just disappeared. Then one day he came to an event. He had been in a horrible car accident and had gone through the windshield. His face was horrifically disfigured and he was blind. He lost both eyes. His muscular body had been in traction for 10 months and his body had melted away to a thin, warped husk. He could barely walk, hunched over with a cane. He had a nurse with him. He still had his great personality and was happy to be alive. When I realized who it was I had to run to the next room where I broke down in private. He had everything and then had nothing. I never again took for granted my reasonable good looks and health. Never. Now years later I think of him and how lucky I am to simply be ok, no matter what my age.

by Anonymousreply 95March 24, 2021 1:56 AM

OP is he DuWee Engstrom? He has a Facebook profile.

by Anonymousreply 96March 24, 2021 2:06 AM

I didn’t realize youth & looks were so important to people until I aged & looked worse. People treat you entirely different & it’s a shock because you don’t realize being young was such an advantage in society.

by Anonymousreply 97March 24, 2021 3:06 AM

So true. That's why you need to surround yourself with good friends and loved ones who keeps you going. Looks aren't everything. I have a divorced friend who started dating this lady half his age, and he's still unhappy. Looks doesn't always equal personality.

by Anonymousreply 98March 24, 2021 3:17 AM

Paulina Porizkova’s IG is full of her mourning the loss of her youthful beauty. Though in her case it may be because she is broke and doesn’t get much modeling work anymore.

by Anonymousreply 99March 24, 2021 3:29 AM

Hugs to all the beautiful people who age gracefully and never feel the need to make a big deal of it.

Sounds like they are a lot of bitter unfortunate-looking people here.

by Anonymousreply 100March 24, 2021 3:30 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101March 24, 2021 3:36 AM

She looks great for 55.

by Anonymousreply 102March 24, 2021 4:39 AM

Paulina looks good except for that dishwater blonde hair. She could look stunning with Emmylou Harris style silver hair.

by Anonymousreply 103March 24, 2021 12:02 PM

I have no idea what any of you people are talking about

by Anonymousreply 104March 24, 2021 12:47 PM

I get a kick out of people coming up to me and saying, “You used to be so good looking.” It’s a combined compliment and an insult, and I smile and laugh every time I hear it. The important thing to me now is that I am alive and healthy and happy, not whether I fit into someone else’s idea of what they think I should look like.

by Anonymousreply 105March 24, 2021 1:02 PM

I’ve always been a 3/10 (self-ranked and judged by many others as the same rating). We’re talking invisible ugly gay. I could steal furniture or bottles from a gay bar and walk out and no one would notice me invisible.

It’s been a guilty pleasure of mine seeing hot guys age and be cast aside. It’s justice as said above, age is the ultimate equalizer. I go out of my way to help unattractive people and treat hot people like shit. It’s my service to hot people. I bring you down a peg because hunny you are going to have a rude awakening. Yes I am bitter.

by Anonymousreply 106March 24, 2021 1:08 PM

Do you catfish people on Grindr? Revenge porn?

by Anonymousreply 107March 24, 2021 1:12 PM

R106- You GO GURL

by Anonymousreply 108March 24, 2021 1:14 PM

If you look like shit from day one you don’t have to worry.

by Anonymousreply 109March 24, 2021 3:29 PM

LOL @ all these DLers saying how gorgeous they were back in the day

by Anonymousreply 110March 24, 2021 3:33 PM

r93 Julia is a bad example. Liker her or not, the bitch has held up nicely. Same for Reece and Sandra. I think Kidman and Jolie may be in the freakout group but Julia seemed to have stepped back from acting after her Oscar to enjoy the man she stole from another marriage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111March 24, 2021 3:45 PM

You can't steal a man who doesn't want to be taken.

by Anonymousreply 112March 24, 2021 3:57 PM

For all these sob stories, most beautiful people just fade gradually into old age like everyone else. And a few stay attractive, if old.

by Anonymousreply 113March 24, 2021 4:07 PM

R111- What are you talking about?

Today Julia Roberts looks like a FUCKING MONKEY.

by Anonymousreply 114March 24, 2021 4:22 PM

Please provide examples r114

by Anonymousreply 115March 24, 2021 4:29 PM

Now I'm pasty-faced and jowly, but when I was young I was exceptional looking. Had modeling agents approach me every-so-often on the streets, the whole deal. I eventually took the bait and modeled for a few months but when the agency said they wanted to send me to Europe - which meant dropping out of college - I pulled out of all of it. I hated it anyway. I'm very awkward in front of the camera and have a depressive personality which has wreaked havoc on my self-esteem. So it all felt gross. That was the upside to being self-loathing - I stayed in college and invested in a career rather than bask in the attention of being "good-looking."

A guy I modeled with became a good friend, however. He's actually been mentioned here a few times. He had a great career, made money...but never planned ahead. Now he's a single parent and struggling to make ends meet as a photographer. He is freaking the fuck out because he has no plan b other than to work old modeling contacts for small, shit jobs. I finally convinced him to get his real estate license. Hopefully he can right himself selling houses but I look at him and thank JEEBUS I made the choices I did.

by Anonymousreply 116March 24, 2021 5:51 PM

So many actors believe they'll make it based on their looks and they just might - for a few years. If you notice, it's the actors who actually have talent who keep working from their 50's onward.

You see a lot of actresses over 50 complaining about no roles for women their age, but they were never known for their acting skills in the first place. How many roles are you going to see for a 62 year old former sexpot with 2 facelifts, fillers, and a face full of Botox? They shoot themselves in the foot with all that distracting face work to the point where the only roles they'll get brought in for are aging actress or society matron. I think of them as cautionary tales. They made a living off their faces alone for so long that they forgot to learn how to act.

by Anonymousreply 117March 24, 2021 6:00 PM

Wise decisions r116. r79 here again. I wasn't exceptional looking though - just maybe kind of cute for a while. Parents sent me to modelling school and I left due to overwhelming embarrassment (at the time) at having to potentially be in a magazine or wherever as face of a tampon product. Ugh. No. Thanks.

So I kind of did what you did r116 - Got a good education, good career, and interesting work because I knew "looks" were temporary. We all get old and I was not going to be coasting on looks for a few years then .......land nowhere at 40 or 50. You need to plan ahead and be sensible and use common sense. Just as a comment - I think the current SM craze is fueling this obsession about looks which isn't helping things for young adults trying to make their way in this highly competitive world.

by Anonymousreply 118March 24, 2021 6:01 PM

About a year ago, before the pandemic, I went to meet with the son of a friend who needed a ride to pick up his car (it was in a repair shop). No one else was available, so I did it. I picked him up at his dorm. I walked into the building and to his floor and as shocked at how hot many of the guys were. It was a Saturday and an all male dorm and most of the guys doors were open and they were goofing around in various states of undress (shorts and no shirts, tank tops, etc). They were all in their late teens or early twenties and were running around like sexy puppies. There was not a gay vibe per se but it was shocking to see them laughing and rough housing together in some kind of weirdly innocent porn dream. They were not at all self aware or savvy, having no idea the sexual power they have at that age. I was trying to keep from openly gawking at these guys and was suddenly jealous of their carefree youth and beauty. I was twice their age and look pretty good but dammit, aging is cruel.

by Anonymousreply 119March 24, 2021 6:01 PM

[Quote] They were not at all self aware or savvy, having no idea the sexual power they have at that age.

That's impossible, especially in the social media age.

by Anonymousreply 120March 24, 2021 6:03 PM

R119 is right: Youth is beautiful in a way that can never be recaptured after age 30. What's sad is so many people don't realize what they have/had until long after it's gone.

by Anonymousreply 121March 24, 2021 7:22 PM

Youth is wasted on the young.

by Anonymousreply 122March 24, 2021 11:32 PM

This thread describes every single person working in porn ever.

by Anonymousreply 123March 25, 2021 2:22 AM

The meanest people are the ugly people who hang out with pretty people. They tend to be even more vicious about looks bc they think pretty friends change their own reality.

by Anonymousreply 124March 25, 2021 2:27 AM

R124 - so true - that describes many people who work in Hollywood. A lot of 4's, 5's and 6's who know and associate with 8's and above.

by Anonymousreply 125March 25, 2021 2:32 AM

How dare you ugly shame r124

by Anonymousreply 126March 25, 2021 4:42 AM

I guess I’ll have to be satisfied by being referred to - as I was, behind my back, just last week - as a “nice-looking, older man.”

by Anonymousreply 127March 25, 2021 4:58 AM

I had a longer run than most. As late as the age of 57, a couple from Texas invited me back to their hotel room, calling me the hottest guy in the bar one Saturday night at Sidetracks (Chicago).

by Anonymousreply 128March 25, 2021 5:45 AM

I LOVE it when people realize without their looks they are NOTHING.

by Anonymousreply 129March 25, 2021 6:50 AM

Being young and “pretty” has many downsides as well: stalking and unwanted attention from creeps; people treating you like crap once they realise you’re not into them; people who assume you must be dumb and naive., etc.

Quite a lot of formerly pretty people are relieved when they start to lose their looks, as it means they can finally communicate with others in a more relaxed way,

by Anonymousreply 130March 25, 2021 7:25 AM

How do parents allow their children to be sponges for flattery and shields against any critique? To allow their children to think of themselves as pretties first a foremost, having no useful skills or contributions beyond that? And never a Plan B?

I've known people who were aware of their exceptional looks and their charm, but who didn't keep this switch in constant "On" mode; they had careers, interests, and abilities in no small part because it was expected of them. What was not expected of them was that they skate by on their looks and nothing more; that would have been seen as embarrassing for all involved.

by Anonymousreply 131March 25, 2021 8:11 AM

R128 that never happened unless you were at Sidetrack at 7pm Friday night.

by Anonymousreply 132March 25, 2021 1:36 PM

My mom taught me to be nice to ugly girls cause they might know a pretty one!

by Anonymousreply 133March 25, 2021 2:40 PM

I was considered handsome in my day. That day is done. Better a has been then a never was.

by Anonymousreply 134March 25, 2021 3:26 PM

r59 You never know what other people will find attractive.

Your perception of what is attractive is not a signal as to what someone else will find attractive. It's just your own prejudice.

by Anonymousreply 135March 25, 2021 4:07 PM

Many famous actors/actresses without their looks are still something because of their money. But without their money, too, they are then nothing.

by Anonymousreply 136March 25, 2021 4:53 PM

I was the cat’s meow back in the day. Now I’m just an old puss in boots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137March 25, 2021 6:16 PM

[quote]You never know what other people will find attractive.

[quote]Your perception of what is attractive is not a signal as to what someone else will find attractive. It's just your own prejudice.

And in that, R135, is there any better lesson book than The Data Lounge?

by Anonymousreply 138March 25, 2021 6:33 PM

R60 Says who.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139March 25, 2021 6:46 PM

Beauty is a short-lived tyranny. --Socrates

by Anonymousreply 140March 25, 2021 7:31 PM

R117 It’s called a sexist double standard. Why do Rob Lowe and John Stamos still have thriving careers? I’m not saying they’re necessarily talentless, but neither one of them are Olivier, then or now. They have both kept their looks more or less, but they coast on a kind of charm and playing variations of themselves. And they get work all the time. Hollywood is rife with this kind of male celebrity. Then and now.

And why is someone like Michelle Pfeiffer, who despite her beauty, was and IS an actress of versatility and range, relatively marginalized in comparison?

by Anonymousreply 141March 25, 2021 8:21 PM

Michelle took many years off to be a mom.

by Anonymousreply 142March 25, 2021 8:22 PM

R140 Beauty is a shorn, livid tranny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143March 25, 2021 8:36 PM

It's possible that Lowe and Stamos are well liked in the industry and don't waste time on sets or act like divas. That can go a long way in preserving a career for many years. They've also aged well and went from pretty young men to handsome grown men. They both had a slight flair for comedy which helped show that they don't take themselves too seriously.

There's nothing worse than someone who's pretty who takes themselves way too seriously. Especially if they don't have any talent.

by Anonymousreply 144March 25, 2021 9:49 PM

Meg Tilly has talked about an actor who refused to wear a modesty pouch when they shot a sex scene and that he got aroused. She was understandably not pleased. She didn't name Lowe but...

by Anonymousreply 145March 25, 2021 9:50 PM

She mentioned Lowe somewhat warmly in another video, so I'm not sure if that was him or not.

by Anonymousreply 146March 25, 2021 9:52 PM

I think that video came after the story and she tried to backtrack.

by Anonymousreply 147March 25, 2021 9:59 PM

[quote] The meanest people are the ugly people who hang out with pretty people. They tend to be even more vicious about looks bc they think pretty friends change their own reality.

There was a guy at my high school who wasn't attractive, but was somehow the "mascot" of the "in crowd."

Fast forward many years and, professionally, our paths crossed. He talked about high school quite a bit and took some verbal jabs at me (said in an LOL way). Meanwhile, he was asking me for help on something specific and I was helping him. There was cognitive dissonance for me because it didn't make sense that he was still acting like we were in high school.

Anyway, I no longer return his texts and calls.

by Anonymousreply 148March 25, 2021 10:07 PM

R132, I’m even more flattered than I was at the time if you are so certain it never happened as stated. But it did, exactly as I said. I was visiting from out-of-town myself, so, if you require receipts, I could even find out the month/year of the exact Saturday night, between 11-midnight, that it occurred. One of the Texas guys was there on some medical-related convention. As you can imagine - oh wait, you think I anonymously came here to post some fanciful story - I was the subject of lots of craning eyes that night. Alas, I returned to my hotel room alone that night, pining mightily for a much younger, heterosexually married man who couldn’t act on his obvious deep feelings for me.

by Anonymousreply 149March 25, 2021 11:00 PM

Deep feelings? Developed over a couple of hours in a bar?

by Anonymousreply 150March 25, 2021 11:29 PM

R150, I was pining for a man back home, not a stranger in an out-of-town bar.

by Anonymousreply 151March 25, 2021 11:36 PM

Pretty Boy syndrome is schadenfreude to watch age.

I know two pretty boys whose lives are a pastiche of plastic surgery because their sparkling personalities have fizzled with their looks.

Never have your self-worth depend on an external focus.

by Anonymousreply 152March 26, 2021 12:33 AM

"We’re talking invisible ugly gay. I could steal furniture or bottles from a gay bar and walk out and no one would notice me invisible."

Lol, awww, you are probably exaggerating!

by Anonymousreply 153March 26, 2021 12:42 AM

I had a major crush on a gorgeous friend when we were in our 20s. I was ok looking. I wanted more. He was blunt and said he wasn’t attracted to me. I accepted in and we stayed friends. Fast forward to age 45. He has put on a lot of weight and lost his hair. He’s not popular anymore. I’ve actually stayed slim and look better than I did 20 years ago. Now he tells me he’s always loved me and wants more. I told him I think we’re better off as friends. Ain’t life crazy?

by Anonymousreply 154March 26, 2021 12:49 AM

[quote] Now he tells me he’s always loved me and wants more. I told him I think we’re better off as friends.

That's hilarious. What a load of bullshit (no offense meant). Glad you got to see the cards all play out like that, R154.

by Anonymousreply 155March 26, 2021 12:56 AM

In my family I was not ever given a compliment on my looks. I thought I looked cute sometimes but since my family were so silent on the subject, just insulting me for everything under the sun, I truly had no idea for decades that I was good-looking. Then in h.s. I started getting veiled comments and come-ons, but still thought I was ugly duckling and all the attention was a fluke. As a consequence I thought people were being nice to me because I was nice to them AND "the world is full of nice people." As I started to age, after 50 actually, I noticed a significant decline in "niceness." Now I know a whole lot of that attention was not about my personality. That's kind of a bummer, to be honest, but at least I had a decent response for many years. I think they way people are attracted to looks alone is akin to mental illness. Just watch Dateline!

by Anonymousreply 156March 26, 2021 1:01 AM

R154, maybe some other time, Blanche!

by Anonymousreply 157March 26, 2021 1:15 AM

It's only ugly people that place too much value on looks and beauty. It's just like when lower socioeconomic classes obsess over money, status and wearing designer. Young people aren't obsessed with youth, it's those who don't have it any more, that make a big deal out of age.

In other words, a lot of you have accidentally given yourselves away.

I don't care if people that were once hot are now totally beat, because I don't have it in for people that are attractive. And let's not automatically associate youth with beauty, because that isn't how it works. Youth is something that everybody gets to experience...good looks are not.

I knew a guy that seemed to be attractive, everybody thought so, anyway, but unlike most beautiful people...he was obsessed with looks and placed much emphasis on externalities.

His personality was rancid and he was a narcissist with disgusting and horrific sexual fetishes(attracted to prepubescent children and feces). As he got older, he still looked good.

However, he distinctly had the insecurities and personality of a scorned, physically unattractive person who was jealous and wanted revenge against those who were beautiful, charming, popular and successful.

Then, it was revealed that he'd been wearing heavy, HEAVY physical magic for his entire life. He was covered in billions of merges from attractive people that he wanted to look like. The guy who does his maintenance revealed that he had hundreds of weight shaves a day because he was morbidly obese and all he did in his spare time was binge eat, and he was too stupid to purge. (Mind you, this guy is perpetually unemployed and 'rich' from fraudulent bank loans, so he has all the time and money in the world to stuff his heavily-merged face.)

People who hated him for valid reasons began to remove his physical magic while he was out in public and around crowds of people.

When all of his vanity merges, beauty engineers, youthful age veneers and cosmetic 'adjustments' were removed, he was revolting! Without his 6'2" height engineer, he was under 5 feet tall, his legs were fat, short and lumpy without his leg merges; his head was shaped like a chubby eggplant, and he wore a full blonde wig when he didn't have restored hair. Without the wig or the hair restoration, he was bald as fuck. He had teeth restorations and false teeth because his scat fetish caused him to lose all of his teeth. His facial features were all very unfortunate, too.

There was literally nothing redeeming about his natural looks, except that they matched his odious, jealous temperament. He is cruel toward animals and likes to feed laxatives to small children so he can humiliate them for pooping, and for his own sexual gratification.

Unfortunately, he's still wearing his beauty magic in full force. He still uses it to get his way and seduce unsuspecting persons, before he ruins their lives and stalks them permanently.

I suspect many DLers know this man personally.

by Anonymousreply 158March 26, 2021 1:58 AM

Heavy Physical Magic, you say?

by Anonymousreply 159March 26, 2021 2:03 AM

Ask your lodge about it, r159!

by Anonymousreply 160March 26, 2021 2:04 AM

Beauty is undeniably a prized commodity in the gay and straight world. But I wonder how much CONFIDENCE has to do with true attractiveness. We’ve all met people who didn’t bowl us over with their looks on a first meeting, but if they exude confidence, and THINK of themselves as attractive, their looks start to improve to others. I’m not talking egotists of course. And have you ever noticed how some mildly good-looking people in life are wildly photogenic? Is that related?

I never thought of myself as particularly attractive, but when I look at old photos of myself, I think “DAMN, I was pretty cute!” LOL. And I would kill to be so thin. I just wish I’d thought so then, when I was young and eligible. I might have had more success early in life. I was always pining over guys I thought were out of my league.

by Anonymousreply 161March 26, 2021 2:56 AM

Interesting, R161. I definitely agree that confidence is a huge factor in attractiveness, but for me it's not at all the confidence of thinking of themselves as attractive, but more the confidence of feeling at ease in their own skin and their own mind. They move about confidently, they have the confidence to be courteous and kind toward others knowing that it is not zero-sum game, they are as comfortable listening as they are talking, they don't posture or generate a lot of drama around themselves.

When I meet someone who acts as if he is always on (a stage even), always competing for oxygen in the room, for the last word, for the biggest laugh, for having all eyes on them, to make fun of others for the laugh, to top your story because everything is a competition somehow, who dresses to best others, to keep the attention focused on him...it's not sexy or attractive, it's off-putting. When, however, I meet someone who walks simply into a room (without any concern for who is there to see them, without looking around to see who is important), who greets people warmly, asks questions, listens attentively, doesn't shy from offering an opinion but isn't competitive about it, when they take some care of their appearance but are not ridiculously preened and reshaped into something they are not, when they let their hair beard go salt-&-pepper instead of tinting it coal black for years, when they don't "need" a laugh from the crowd, when they act to put other people at ease and keep them part of a conversation, when they are perfectly comfortable letting other people talk, when they don't need other people's eyes on them all the time...that kind of confidence can be sexy as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 162March 26, 2021 10:37 AM

This is why G. has been able to maintain a career because she was never good looking. That she is basically a B grade actress it is a credit to her that she is still getting lots of work.

Thankfully, I am blessed with beauty and talent.

by Anonymousreply 163March 26, 2021 10:44 AM

r158 what the fuck did i just read?!

by Anonymousreply 164March 26, 2021 12:34 PM

That's what I wondered, R164.

I feel as though a shower in disinfectant is due. .

by Anonymousreply 165March 26, 2021 2:36 PM

Can someone translate into English r158's post?

by Anonymousreply 166March 26, 2021 5:00 PM

Can't tell if R164 and r166 are genuinely retarded, or just taking directives.

by Anonymousreply 167March 26, 2021 5:13 PM

I saw a great interview with model Paulina Porizkova where she spoke about women and aging. She mentioned that she had developed a nice, semi-flirty relationship with a handsome young doorman in her building. They would always chat and exchange ideas. One day he told her that a friend had mentioned to him that there was a hot model living in their building and he asked Paulina if she knew what she was.

by Anonymousreply 168March 26, 2021 5:58 PM

I work in the entertainment industry and that confidence thing is true. Lots of average to decently attractive people can really shine once they're on screen or on stage and a lot of it does have to do with confidence. If you see someone who's not confident walk onto a stage, you immediately tense up and think "we're in for a long night."

Look at someone like Liza Minnelli. She'll never win any beauty pageants and her voice has never been the most beautiful (though it was incredibly powerful in its prime), but she's so confident and so happy to be up there entertaining the audience that she wins you over immediately. It's a great mix of confidence, talent, and warmth. She seems like a genuine and kind person which helps a lot.

by Anonymousreply 169March 26, 2021 5:59 PM

R158 that reminds me of that scene in the Aviator where Leo’s Howard Hughes called out Catherine Hepburn and her eccentric family for acting like money isn’t a big deal. He tells her, “That’s because you’ve always had it.” They acted shocked for being called out on their bullshit.

Looks matter just as much to pretty people as it does to ugly people. The pretty ones may not let on, but they certainly care about it which is why they are typically not fucking ugly partners. They want to fuck equally attractive people, whatever attractive means to them.

Everyone cares about beauty. We are genetically wired to care. Making it the centerpiece of ones self-worth is where problems occur.

by Anonymousreply 170March 26, 2021 6:11 PM

Anyone for cosmetic surgeries ?

by Anonymousreply 171March 26, 2021 6:13 PM

Liza is like nails on a blackboard for me, and it's not her looks. I like many normal or 'jolie laide' actresses, like Jessica Harper, for instance, but Liza's frenetic loudness and desperation turn me off.

by Anonymousreply 172March 26, 2021 6:56 PM

Interesting thread. I've dealt with "resting bitch face" my whole life, which is sort of similar. It draws various reactions across the board and I can immediately tell when people use it to form an opinion of me. It brings out the worst in insecure people because they assume I hate them for the same reasons they hate themselves. On the flip side, if I actually do dislike someone and let it be known, it's very easy for them to blame my "misery" rather than accept their faults. "I feel SORRY for you!" blah blah blah

The worst part is that it's nearly impossible for me to give a good first impression for things like job interviews and parties. A few boyfriends have told me they like it in a heroin-chic kind of way, but I have thought of getting blepharoplasty several times to correct the dark circles under my eyes.

by Anonymousreply 173March 26, 2021 6:57 PM

I agree with you, R161. I think confidence is absolutely key.

I am very average looking but have the confidence that was developed almost as a result not being able to rely on my appearance to offer me any advantage.

I always knew I would not be appreciated for my “beauty” and actually kind of prefer it that way, but I knew if someone liked me, it was for something a little more substantial than the looks we are all randomly assigned at birth. Over time, this has made me more sure of myself. And in spite of my physical plainness, I have never really lacked for admirers.

by Anonymousreply 174March 26, 2021 7:47 PM

All of the guys that I've been crazy hot for have been average to kinda-cute looking, but VERY confident.

I had such a ferocious crush on my last boss - the CMO of our company. He was bald, wore glasses, about 5'8...technically nothing to look at. But he was so smart and engaging and charismatic that I would just melt in his presence. He's totally (I assume) straight - married with 3 kids - but was very pro-gay and came to gay pride several years ago on the float our company had. He showed up in daisy dukes and a tank top! It was hysterical ...his wife came too and dressed like a slut in a tight halter top and spandex shorts. They were such a hoot. We danced like crazy and I had a chance to grind up against him a few times. (couldn't get away with that now). HA. He just laughed.

Anyway - fuck gorgeous people. They suck. I'll take confidence and integrity anytime of the day.

by Anonymousreply 175March 26, 2021 9:21 PM

Don’t forget that hair loss is another great equalizer that is happening to a larger percentage of young men. Some people can pull off the bald look but most of us look much better with hair on top.

by Anonymousreply 176March 26, 2021 11:06 PM

I also think the media pushes the idea that people, particularly women, can be "hot" at any age, and it's usually a ploy to sell products and services. There comes a time, that even if you look young for your age, you are not considered young or hot by the majority of other, young, hot people. That's not to say you can't be attractive, but hot has a time limit.

I saw a great piece on Kylie Minogue doing a photoshoot. She was all dolled up and posing with a couple of young, gorgeous men. They talked the stylists and photographer, who all prattled on about how amazing she was; a timeless beauty with enduring sex appeal and all that. Eventually, they talked to the two male models and asked them how they felt about posing with such a sexy con. One of them replied "Yeah, she's nice, but I prefer girls my own age".

by Anonymousreply 177March 26, 2021 11:11 PM

Cathe--

by Anonymousreply 178March 26, 2021 11:57 PM

And then you have to ask POC what happens when their looks fade. Apropos to the title, good looking POC get an entry card but once their looks fade and they're just normal POC, it really hits them.

by Anonymousreply 179March 27, 2021 12:05 AM

R179 Black don't crack, silly.

by Anonymousreply 180March 27, 2021 12:06 AM

Asians stay youthful longer. And at least they retain a full set of hair

by Anonymousreply 181March 27, 2021 12:27 AM

Asians tend to stay young for a very long time until they hit 70.

by Anonymousreply 182March 27, 2021 12:34 AM

The film mentioned above, Things You Think I'm Thinking, is online.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183March 27, 2021 12:35 AM

In my mid-20s, I dated a handsome guy in mid-30s who wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed but relied on looks & charm to rise to senior int'l sales role in SF tech co. In retrospect, having framed b&w portraits in house should have been a red flag, but @ age then, I gave him benefit of the doubt, since he was attractive, successful, popular, good in bed, etc. Fast forward almost a year, he cheated on me w/some Falcon twink. We broke up, he seroconverted, and lost his job in a matter of a few short years. I think sometime in there he even tried making vids, doing something w/Tom Bianchi, but didn't segue to any illustrious porn career. Long story short, he's now living @ his mother's house in Boston. Last I heard about him, per a close friend of mine who does business there, he's on dating/cruising apps, mischaracterizing his status as negative (when he actually means undetectable).

by Anonymousreply 184March 27, 2021 1:00 AM

R184 how old are you now.

by Anonymousreply 185March 27, 2021 1:03 AM

What a fall from grace. What’s wrong with framed black and white photos.

by Anonymousreply 186March 27, 2021 1:11 AM

A magazine reported that Colton had portraits of himself all over his house.

by Anonymousreply 187March 27, 2021 1:18 AM

Constance Bennett.

Never got over aging.

by Anonymousreply 188March 27, 2021 2:45 AM

She got her box, though.

by Anonymousreply 189March 27, 2021 2:54 AM

Letterman thought he was complimenting Betty Becall when he told her she used to be really hot! God that was painful to watch

by Anonymousreply 190March 27, 2021 3:02 AM

[quote] Asians stay youthful longer. And at least they retain a full set of hair

What? Asians do go bald.

by Anonymousreply 191March 27, 2021 3:03 AM

Do you laugh at him to his face Op, or behind his back?... both are acceptable when dealing with arrogant twunks.

by Anonymousreply 192March 27, 2021 3:11 AM

As, honestly, someone from a very good looking family, I think some posters are making this seem like aging has this “falling off the edge of a cliff” sensation that isn’t quite that dramatic to go through.

It happens slowly, month by month, year by year - you have plenty of time to adjust bit by bit as the water cools. And no matter what age, if you’re born with a beautiful face, good skin, good coloring, you’re still going to be better looking than most people; bone structure doesn’t simply disappear.

Also, the physical changes catch up with you at a time when you’re (hopefully) in a place where you have a broader appreciation for the full spectrum of life.

by Anonymousreply 193March 27, 2021 3:25 AM

People that drink green tea barely age.

Trade in your sodas and alcohol for something that will sustain your youthful appearance.

by Anonymousreply 194March 27, 2021 3:51 AM

FORGET WHAT I SAID ! ! !

[italic]Where do I buy it ? ? ?

by Anonymousreply 195March 27, 2021 5:12 AM

It's true!

Green tea isn't the best-tasting drink to most people, but neither is the alcohol that promotes your early-onset physical aging and related ugliness issue.

Don't skimp on the green. Drinking it can bring your natural hair color back and wrinkles will disappear. Oolong tea is great for that purpose, too.

by Anonymousreply 196March 27, 2021 3:20 PM

Sure, Patchouli.

by Anonymousreply 197March 27, 2021 3:23 PM

I was an ugly kid and teen or at least genuinely believed myself to be but grew into my looks starting in my late 20s. I don’t know if it was due to psychological problems but I really hid myself from the world and always wore drab I’ll fitting clothes. I was severely bullied all throughout school and even by family and I thought it was because I was abnormally ugly. People said I wasn’t ugly but I truly believed it and you couldn’t change my mind. That changed around 25 when my mental health improved and I started giving a shit about my appearance. I noticed people started treating me better and just being nicer to me. People would stop me and tell me I was attractive and guys would always hit on me everywhere I went. It’s weird feeling desirable for me but I’m thankful I thought I was hideous for so long and worked on my inner self. I did notice a lot of people who were attractive all their lives have no substance.

by Anonymousreply 198March 27, 2021 3:57 PM

I was attractive when young, not beautiful. Not vain, not really concerned with keeping my looks, but somehow I didn't notice aging till I was in my late 40s. The inevitable sagging and creasing, my hair thinned, my smile not so bright. It has been a long slow slide downward, now in 60s. I began to exercise and take much more care with my appearance once I noticed the fading, too late, lol. I imagine aging can be a soul destroying experience for truly beautiful people. Long life isnt for the faint of heart.

by Anonymousreply 199March 27, 2021 4:07 PM

I was a fat kid, so these people are aliens to me.

by Anonymousreply 200March 27, 2021 8:17 PM

Right after high school, I had a really cool roommate who was in cosmetology school & who worked at Macy's. She taught me how to look better (than I did in high school).

Not looking so great in high school was a good lesson for me b/c I realize how shitty people can be. Now, I do take care of my appearance because I don't want people to be mean to me. Sounds weird, but I just can't handle any excess shitty human behavior out there in the world.

by Anonymousreply 201March 27, 2021 8:22 PM

There are those people who by all accounts are fat, ugly, overweight, whatever. Yet they hold the attention of the room.

Those confident, well-liked people want to be around them because they make others feel good.

These people are out of their shell. I've always thought it must be better to be them because there's no distraction and nothing to lose.

by Anonymousreply 202March 28, 2021 5:52 AM

[quote]R202 There are those people who by all accounts are fat, ugly, overweight, whatever. Yet they hold the attention of the room.

It’s called star quality.

by Anonymousreply 203March 28, 2021 6:55 AM

I've used this example before but I'll say it again - I find Kelly Clarkson is one of those people who is genuinely sweet, mature, caring, empathetic, bubbly, natural, charismatic, etc She's no great beauty but she is the same person every single day on her show, no airs, just herself. I always find her to be an inspiration and she seems to have a very good solid core of values within to fight back people who abuse/use her.

I hardly ever watch her show but when I do, I find her such a refreshing break from the "over-processed' daytime TV hosts. She's a good example or role model for young girls or guys not feeling particularly "hot" to just be themselves and screw the rest of the world.

She deserves all her success, too.

by Anonymousreply 204March 28, 2021 1:31 PM

I held onto my looks until my mid-fifties. Now in my sixties, I forget that I’m invisible and it surprising to me when I get overlooked. Then I laugh at my vanity and push on. I realize how lucky I was to be pretty. Fortunately it’s not at all who I was or am. Sure it would be great to get that back, but alas, no amount of Botox or other facial surgery will bring that back. And that’s okay, other priorities are calling.

by Anonymousreply 205March 28, 2021 1:47 PM

r141 Michelle P could work constantly if she wanted to. She chooses not to. She and her husband have hundreds of millions of dollars, a lot of it passive income now due to her husband's TV stuff. They make more in a year than most of us will in a lifetime for work that was done over 20 years ago.

Stamos and Lowe continue to work because they have kept their looks and continue to play the same types of roles. And because they want to. They like working. They also like living the wealthy lifestyle that requires a steady influx of income.

by Anonymousreply 206March 29, 2021 5:52 PM

Let's not pretend Pfeiffer's choice of domestic life didn't knock her out of the A list.

by Anonymousreply 207March 29, 2021 6:39 PM

Now that my looks have faded, I’m fortunate enough for my wallet to be my entry card.

by Anonymousreply 208March 29, 2021 6:43 PM

Whores rejoice...

by Anonymousreply 209March 29, 2021 6:45 PM

To brothels?

by Anonymousreply 210March 29, 2021 6:45 PM

Knew a guy in the East village who Was a lawyer but who had been a stunningly handsome man and he made serious money in the 80s as a model. One of the “in” crowd at Studio 54. I don’t know what happened to him but he became morbidly obese and became a recluse and died in his early 50s. He still looked handsome but the body was quite something else.

by Anonymousreply 211March 29, 2021 6:46 PM

Wasn't there an article on him a while back?

by Anonymousreply 212March 29, 2021 7:04 PM

"Wasn't there an article on him a while back?"

Was it the linked article r212? If so, I don't believe it's 211's friend - but still a sad cautionary tale. Probably more common that we realize.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213March 29, 2021 7:09 PM

No, R209 and R10, lol! Older lesbian here with some discerning sense. And spirituality that brings me peace. And I said faded looks, not gone, thank heavens. Stay out of the sun everyone. Your older self will thank you.

by Anonymousreply 214March 29, 2021 7:22 PM

^Oops “and R210.”

by Anonymousreply 215March 29, 2021 7:23 PM

Beauty fades, dumb is forever! Judgment for the plaintiff in the amount of $5,000! *standing ovation*

by Anonymousreply 216March 29, 2021 7:28 PM

Getting old sucks for us all, but it must be a real blow to the pretty ones that used their looks to get by.

by Anonymousreply 217March 29, 2021 10:04 PM

R213 no this was another guy

by Anonymousreply 218April 1, 2021 9:54 PM

This seems like a good place to post this:

I’m.... a bit older now, but my neighbor’s boyfriend called out “Hi, handsome!” when I got out of my car last week.

So, I guess the TRUE classics (like ME!) never go out of style[bold] : )

by Anonymousreply 219April 1, 2021 10:28 PM

My mom looked kind of like Sylvia Sidney when she was young, which was not conventional good looks and maybe a bit ugly. Her mom was pretty and always said my mom's looks were no asset. My mom worked hard to look good and dressed beautifully. But seven pregnancies and working like a servant for all of us really took a toll on her. She had a personality that people liked, but as she aged she isolated herself to finally hermit status. Looks and pride meant so much to her that she deprived herself of people for about thirty years. Sad. I hope I can avoid caring that much how I look, but sometimes I fear I'm like her.

by Anonymousreply 220April 1, 2021 10:58 PM

It’s hard not to be invested in how you look, regardless of your raw material.

by Anonymousreply 221April 1, 2021 11:04 PM

I find a lot of the life coach people are aging pretty boys making a last ditch effort to cash in on fading looks and charisma. It’s annoying how they attribute personal success to attitude and willpower, when it’s clear that their physical attractiveness has been a clear personal advantage.

by Anonymousreply 222April 1, 2021 11:13 PM

Some people never lose their looks no matter how much they age.

by Anonymousreply 223April 1, 2021 11:18 PM

Some people age slower than others. Or not at all.

by Anonymousreply 224April 1, 2021 11:25 PM

I got Rodney's line wrong. It's "Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes down to the bone."

by Anonymousreply 225April 3, 2021 2:59 AM

I guess I'm the only one that DOESN'T think Rob Lowe or John Stamos kept their looks. Generally I don't think pretty men age well and they both look like old lesbians to me. John looks worse imo because he has that horrible dark hair dye that so many Hollywood men use. It's basically shoe polish.

by Anonymousreply 226April 3, 2021 4:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!