Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tina Turner’s Farewell

Didn’t know she was this ill. Did anyone have Miss Turner on the 2021 deadpool list? My mom was a big fan of hers in the ‘80s when she had that big comeback.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154May 8, 2021 7:43 PM

On her mother: "I did for her as if she loved me".

by Anonymousreply 1March 16, 2021 12:58 AM

I had her on my 2019 and 2020 lists and we all see where that went. She isn’t getting a third chance from me.

by Anonymousreply 2March 16, 2021 12:58 AM

Can't wait for the documentary.

by Anonymousreply 3March 16, 2021 1:19 AM

She's a rock star who made it to her eighties. She's had a good run.

by Anonymousreply 4March 16, 2021 1:33 AM

Looking forward to this. It’ll be an incredibly sad day when she dies. Such a legend.

by Anonymousreply 5March 16, 2021 1:39 AM

She came back in her mid-forties and became one of the biggest stars in the world, more famous and successful than she'd ever been previously. That would be impossible today.

by Anonymousreply 6March 16, 2021 1:40 AM

"I did better than Liza Minnelli, whose fans say she's a pathetic invalid at age 75, should have!"

by Anonymousreply 7March 16, 2021 1:48 AM

Keep milking it, Anna Mae.

Not like anyone asked.

by Anonymousreply 8March 16, 2021 2:08 AM

MISLEADING HEADLINE

by Anonymousreply 9March 16, 2021 2:09 AM

She did it the right way. Big comeback and then sold out to more commercial work because at that age, who could blame her? That was her chance to make big money. Then when all that ended, she quietly retired to Switzerland. Hell, I’d love to retire to Switzerland when it’s my time. Too bad she had to endure ill health the past few years. But I agree, she’s a rockstar who made it past 80 and she’s filthy rich, that’s a great run.

by Anonymousreply 10March 16, 2021 2:19 AM

PBS just aired her Tina Turner: One Last Time concert filmed in 1999 at London's Wembley Stadium. She’s 61 and dancing (in heels) better than most dancers ever do.

by Anonymousreply 11March 16, 2021 2:25 AM

She had high blood pressure and treated it homeopathically instead of taking medication. Really stupid. The high blood pressure eventually caused kidney failure.

If you have high blood pressure, TAKE MEDICATION. Start taking it right away. Don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise, it's extremely serious.

by Anonymousreply 12March 16, 2021 2:26 AM

I will be GUTTED. Not in a good way either.

by Anonymousreply 13March 16, 2021 2:29 AM

I love my Tina.

by Anonymousreply 14March 16, 2021 2:30 AM

Eldergays, was she a big name back in her first bout with fame? What level of famous was she back then, a rung below Aretha?

by Anonymousreply 15March 16, 2021 2:32 AM

Aw, I like Tina, great performer, even though I only discovered her on the comeback during the Thunderdome years, seen her a few times in concert.

by Anonymousreply 16March 16, 2021 2:48 AM

Cher had her comeback at 50.

by Anonymousreply 17March 16, 2021 2:50 AM

R15, I would say perhaps on the level of Etta James. Ike & Tina were known more for their live act than for their records (their hits were few and far between). Tina did not have the crossover appeal that Aretha had at that time.

There’s an episode of Dick Cavett from around 1969 where he’s interviewing Janis Joplin. He asks her who her favorite performer is to go see and she says Tina Turner. Cavett has no idea who she is and the (mostly white) audience doesn’t seem to either.

by Anonymousreply 18March 16, 2021 2:50 AM

Cher has come back more times than Shirley MacLaine.

by Anonymousreply 19March 16, 2021 2:52 AM

Cher will come back after the nuclear winter along with the cockroaches.

by Anonymousreply 20March 16, 2021 2:55 AM

I didn’t know her only child committed suicide. She’s a pillar of strength to go through so much trauma and never publicly painted herself as a victim. Class act.

by Anonymousreply 21March 16, 2021 2:56 AM

It's not Adam and Steve it's Adam and Cher.

by Anonymousreply 22March 16, 2021 2:57 AM

I don’t know why more stars/people don’t do this - after they have millions, go enjoy life in a beautiful house in a beautiful place with someone you love That’s the sign of wisdom and a life well lived - knowing it’s not about the fame and adoration and accomplishment.

by Anonymousreply 23March 16, 2021 3:06 AM

Fame whores cant live without fame r23. Stop trying to pull wisdom into it.

by Anonymousreply 24March 16, 2021 3:08 AM

Is the British tabloid press legit now? I wouldn't trust anything they print.

by Anonymousreply 25March 16, 2021 3:10 AM

R25 I’ve been reading British newspapers online since they were available online. Tabloids like the Sun have the scoops that respectable papers don’t dare to print. In this instance Tina gave The Sun the exclusive interview.

by Anonymousreply 26March 16, 2021 3:13 AM

I love Tina. I would be really sad if she died because she is such a musical legend. Her work with Ike is also amazing and overlooked. It was sad when Ray Charles and Little Richard passed as well.

by Anonymousreply 27March 16, 2021 3:14 AM

Say what you want but singers today can’t hold a candle to artists like her. She’s a class act!

by Anonymousreply 28March 16, 2021 3:16 AM

She should have been the first woman inducted into the RRHoF twice.

by Anonymousreply 29March 16, 2021 3:17 AM

Craig wasn’t her only child. She has a son, Ronnie, with Ike.

Craig’s father was saxophonist Raymond Hill, who played with Ike’s band, the Kings of Rhythm. On Jackie Brenston’s 1951 classic “Rocket 88,” when Brenston shouts “Blow your horn Raymond!,” he’s referring to Raymond Hill. Ike is on piano. (The song is credited to Jackie Brenston and His Delta Cats, but the band is actually the Kings of Rhythm.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 16, 2021 3:18 AM

R28 true. I think the 80s was the last decade when if you want to make it as an act you had to tour. Touring meant you had to hone your musicianship but also learn how to be a performer. Performer like Tina had to play the small clubs with drunk hecklers, stay in cheap hotels, get paid shit, and yet go out on stage as if they were royalty.

Now all is needed to be considered a pop star is social media, a good production team, and the right connections. You don’t even have to be able to sing or play instruments.

by Anonymousreply 31March 16, 2021 3:24 AM

Her comeback, or reinvention, however you want to characterize it, made her a bigger star than ever. I was able to snag a ticket for a sold-out concert at the Gorge Amphitheatre in George, Washington (there is such a place), in May, 1997, back when her big hit was the title song to the Bond film "Goldeneye." On stage, she was a dynamo and kept bringing the assembled outdoor crowd to its feet. And it was no blink-and-gone show. The set list included 18 hits, followed by a three-number encore. Her ballad "What's Love Got to Do With It" is my favorite of all time. The only wrinkle in the evening was that the lights went out as soon as she wrapped the show. Some kind of power outage. The Amphitheatre workers knew what to do. They quickly moved their cars to the edges of the parking lot and turned on their headlights to help us concert-goers find our own cars and drive out.

by Anonymousreply 32March 16, 2021 3:35 AM

Her last tour was in 2009, and with the health issues she’s faced the last few years I don’t blame her for wanting to have a little peace.

by Anonymousreply 33March 16, 2021 3:45 AM

R1

That is deep.

by Anonymousreply 34March 16, 2021 3:47 AM

Tina is a longtime, practicing Buddhist. She credits it with saving her life and sanity. The way she talks about her life and the way she talks about seeking forgiveness and peace, that’s Buddhist philosophy right there.

by Anonymousreply 35March 16, 2021 3:50 AM

50 years as a practicing Buddhist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 16, 2021 3:55 AM

[quote]50 years as a practicing Buddhist.

35 longer than I've been practicing my right hook.

by Anonymousreply 37March 16, 2021 4:41 AM

I'm not that much of a fan of her music, it's basically washed out pop for white European audiences. The musical excellence Black RnB and Soul music had at its peak is very much missing. Who knows why she wanted to move in that direction. I guess growing up Black in the US exposed her to a lot of traumatic experiences and she had enough of it so she reinvented herself personally and musically. I don't really blame her, everybody deserves some love and respect, but her music will not be mentioned in the same way as Aretha's or James Brown's or Ray Charles'.

The second picture that claims it's her with Mick Jagger is actually Tina with David Bowie.

by Anonymousreply 38March 16, 2021 5:42 AM

[quote]I'm not that much of a fan of her music, it's basically washed out pop for white European audiences.

The Private Dancer is phenomenal. Every track is great. Her cover of Al Green's Let's Stay Together is probably the best cover version of a song, ever.

by Anonymousreply 39March 16, 2021 6:42 AM

I didn't realize her husband donated the kidney for her transplant in 2017.

by Anonymousreply 40March 16, 2021 6:51 AM

Oh come on R39, get a music education!

by Anonymousreply 41March 16, 2021 8:15 AM

You're full of shit r41. Tina Turner has some classic music.

by Anonymousreply 42March 16, 2021 8:16 AM

Stay ignorant then R42!

by Anonymousreply 43March 16, 2021 8:25 AM

Did anyone see Oprah's "Legends and Young'uns Ball"? It was in (I think) 1999 and Oprah gathers some true legends at her place - Coretta Scott King, Rosa Parks, Cecily Tyson - and also brought on women who were, at least then, "young'uns" - Mariah, Phylcia Rashad, Alicia Keys for a lot of stupid, TV sister-girl nonsense.

That's where Oprah's legendary "WE SPEAK YOUR NAME!" poem comes from, that Howard Stern constantly mocked.

Everyone there was totally overwhelmed by the magnitude of it all, except one person - Tina. Every time the camera was on Tina, she was rollling her eyes with a "this bitch" look on her face. I will always love her for that.

by Anonymousreply 44March 16, 2021 11:33 AM

She hasn't been the same ever since my black son Anthony Bouvier broke up with her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 16, 2021 11:45 AM

R15

No, Tina Turner when with Ike/her early career wasn't big as Aretha or perhaps even Gladys Knight.

Fast forward to 1980's and Tina Turner came back BIG TIME with her album Private Dancer.

They say "black don't crack" and at age 44 Tina Turner proved that in spades. Going on tour, concerts, etc... with all her legendary energy, stamina and sex appeal, and of course those famous legs! Tina's back up singers/dancers (girls easily half Tina's age if not a bit younger) couldn't keep up with her on stage.

Tina Turner embraced and used the new age and medium (MTV had just begun bringing music videos to the masses), and Ms. Turner proved again she was back on top.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 16, 2021 12:05 PM

Tina Turner's video for Goldeneye!

Damn fine looking woman for forty plus!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 16, 2021 12:07 PM

One of my favourite songs and videos by Tina Turner...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 16, 2021 12:11 PM

[quote] I love Tina. I would be really sad if she died

Are you sitting down? I’ve got news for you. She is going to die. When, I don’t know, but eventually she will.

by Anonymousreply 49March 16, 2021 12:25 PM

“Tina Turner’s Sad Last Days”

by Anonymousreply 50March 16, 2021 12:25 PM

Will she be buried in Nutbush?

by Anonymousreply 51March 16, 2021 12:32 PM

This is from a couple of years before she pay dirt with Private Dancer. Heaven 17 and ex-Human League members Martyn Ware and Ian Craig-Marsh asked her to sing on their Music Of Quality And Distinction Volume 1 album in 1982.

They then produced the Let's Stay Together Single with Heaven 17 single Glenn Gregory on backing vocals. The promo single was credited to Tina Tuner featuring Heaven 17.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 16, 2021 12:33 PM

[quote] Will she be buried in Nutbush?

I imagine she’ll be cremated and her ashes spread over Lake Zurich. Why the hell would she be buried in Nutbush?

by Anonymousreply 53March 16, 2021 1:03 PM

R47, she was in her mid-50s there.

by Anonymousreply 54March 16, 2021 1:04 PM

Ike & Tina's songs occasionally were covered more successfully by others, like "River Deep, Mountain High" (Supremes/Four Tops). People who went to concerts or read about popular music knew who they were, but nowhere near the popularity of someone like Aretha or even The Dells who were a classic R&B act with just a little crossover appeal.

by Anonymousreply 55March 16, 2021 1:05 PM

[quote] "River Deep, Mountain High" (Supremes/Four Tops)

That was an atrocious cover and the fact that it was so much more successful in the US than Tina’s original is proof that American audiences have shitty taste.

by Anonymousreply 56March 16, 2021 1:07 PM

[quote]I'm not that much of a fan of her music, it's basically washed out pop for white European audiences.

Imagine being this ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 57March 16, 2021 5:08 PM

Love Tina, she was such an icon for me growing up in the UK in the seventies and eighties. I don't want her to due, but I don't want her to suffer either so I'll wish her peace and comfort.

by Anonymousreply 58March 16, 2021 5:15 PM

My late mother was a big Tina Turner fan in the 80s. She had great legs too and took it as a big compliment whenever someone told her she had Tina Turner’s legs. My mom even dressed up as Tina a few Halloweens, never mind she was Japanese/ Taiwanese descent. She’d just put on a Tina wig, bright coral lipstick, stilettos, and a short, shimmery gold dress.

by Anonymousreply 59March 16, 2021 5:22 PM

r59 your mom sounded like she was a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 60March 16, 2021 5:23 PM

R60 She was a hoot. She was all up on the comeback queens, first Tina then later Cher. But she was first and foremost the biggest Tina fan.

by Anonymousreply 61March 16, 2021 5:25 PM

I don't see anywhere in the article that says she is currently critically ill.

by Anonymousreply 62March 16, 2021 7:51 PM

R57 can't handle the truth. Tina Turner moved away from Black RnB, that was a conscious decision of hers and her manager Roger Davies, an Australian bloke. They rebuild her career by associating her with acts like the Rolling Stones.

by Anonymousreply 63March 16, 2021 10:12 PM

R63

Which was the making of her huge come back!

Tina Turner was far more relevant and did far better moving away from "black" R&B to pop and R&R.

by Anonymousreply 64March 18, 2021 4:40 AM

Black 60s style R&B was fantastic music, but it was no longer relevant in the 80s. The tastes of the public had changed. Tina was always more of a rocker anyway, she's said this many times.

by Anonymousreply 65March 18, 2021 4:53 AM

R65

Exactly!

Even when you look at R&B artists from 1980's and 1990's things weren't same as before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 18, 2021 5:24 AM

Like i said R64, mainstream pop. I don't blame her for going big and making money, but her music had to compromise, to commercialize, to white wash.

by Anonymousreply 67March 18, 2021 5:47 AM

[quote] Looking back, Tina reflects: “It wasn’t a good life. The good did not balance the bad. I had an abusive life, there’s no other way to tell the story. It’s a reality. It’s a truth. That’s what you’ve got, so you have to accept it."

That's an interesting thing to say, esp. considering all her success. People always want to say that everything comes out good in the end and, really, it doesn't.

The thing she said about her mother is heartbreaking ("I did for her as if she loved me").

I'm glad her husband donated his kidney to her. That proves, IMO, that he really loves her.

Her son's suicide probably made her contemplate the end of her own life.

by Anonymousreply 68March 18, 2021 5:47 AM

I find it amazing that she fell for some quack who told her stopping her blood pressure medication would be OK. There is internet where you can research those things, her doctor who initially prescribed BP meds must have told her about the dangers. I don't get what people are thinking?

by Anonymousreply 69March 18, 2021 8:56 AM

Sit and spin on the largest traffic cones you shits that don't appreciate Tina Turner. She was once the Queen of Rock! I don't even know any music "artist" that can claim the same today.

by Anonymousreply 70March 18, 2021 9:13 AM

Tina Turner wasn't nor isn't alone believing in homeopathy. Plenty of famous persons such as Paul McCartney, Dizzy Gillespie, Roger Daltrey, Pete Townshend, and even Cher are all adherents.

Leaving aside Dizzy Gillespie the other musicians are people Tina Turner likely knows personally. While looked down upon in USA, in Britain and much of Europe homeopathy attracts a very large following, especially among the rich, famous or whatever.

Remember that episode of Ab Fab were Patsy sets Ed's kitchen on fire so family moves action to the living room? Gran asks Saffy from some of her "homopathic" medicine to deal with a headache....

Think had Tina Turner been living in USA or under care of American physician he would have been a bit more forceful about things. At least insisting on monitoring her BP with frequent check-ups or something. High blood pressure isn't called the "silent killer" for nothing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71March 18, 2021 9:35 AM

She took meds for BP and stopped them because some quack told her she could cure it with homeopathic tinctures.

by Anonymousreply 72March 18, 2021 10:12 AM

NEVER stop taking blood pressure meds. They're extremely important.

by Anonymousreply 73March 18, 2021 4:21 PM

[quote]but her music had to compromise, to commercialize, to white wash.

Her 80s music was pure gold, many of those songs are classics. It was in line with what music had evolved into by that time. James Brown-style R&B wasn't the thing anymore, even James Brown himself modernized his sound.

by Anonymousreply 74March 18, 2021 4:25 PM

Yeah, I had a close family member die suddenly of something blood-pressure related (aneurysm). It's nothing to play with.

by Anonymousreply 75March 18, 2021 4:36 PM

I love this performance. This is 1983, the year before "Private Dancer" made her a superstar. She was broke and trying to re-establish herself as a working entertainer. She always gave 100% onstage -- an electrifying performer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76March 27, 2021 5:11 AM

I remember Tina Turner performing (along with Ike) on Johnny Carson. Perhaps Bob Hope shows?

Never really heard her on AM radio back in the day. She was very much associated with Ike, and never on her own until she left him.

She’d make guest appearances to sing on variety shows like Sonny and Cher from time to time, but I remember it felt like she was trying to recreate her “Ike and Tina Revue” days, singing covers rather than any original songs.

I can distinctly remember my mother saying how “nasty” Tina was for dancing suggestively (for the time) in such short dresses.

by Anonymousreply 77March 27, 2021 5:33 AM

[quote]I think the 80s was the last decade when if you want to make it as an act you had to tour. Touring meant you had to hone your musicianship but also learn how to be a performer.

[quote]Now all is needed to be considered a pop star is social media, a good production team, and the right connections. You don’t even have to be able to sing or play instruments.

You absolutely have to tour now, more than ever. There is no money in selling records or singles. It’s a really, really bad time to be in the music business. Or the ‘record business’ anyway.

The OP and the article in the tabloid is bullshit. It makes it sound like she’s CURRENTLY DYING of PTSD. Or maybe the stroke and the cancer have both returned. Good lord. She seems to be doing fine.

by Anonymousreply 78March 27, 2021 5:45 AM

Good for her she has a chance to say goodbye to her fans while she’s still with it and spend her last days among those closest to her.

by Anonymousreply 79March 27, 2021 5:48 AM

Oh no. I didn't know she was ill. She is an incomparable woman. I got to see her once in concert in Holland and she was incredible. Like others have said - she gave 110% on stage.

by Anonymousreply 80March 27, 2021 7:18 AM

Huge fan of her. Saw her in Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome when I was a kid and had no idea who she was. At one point she sits on a crescent moon chair and glides down into the Thunderdome, those flawless legs aloft. Something about that tripped a dozen alarm wires in me, all labeled: "I don't know why. But I want to be this person".

by Anonymousreply 81March 27, 2021 7:55 AM

R67 your comment is offensive as it implies Tina had no agency in her decision to change her style. She did.

by Anonymousreply 82March 27, 2021 8:23 AM

Do you think she ever did anal with Ike?

by Anonymousreply 83March 27, 2021 8:39 AM

Ike is such a galloping asshole that any interaction with him falls under the definition of "doing anal".

by Anonymousreply 84March 28, 2021 12:51 AM

Is Ike still alive?

by Anonymousreply 85March 28, 2021 1:26 AM

Very rare picture of Tina without a wig.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86March 28, 2021 4:18 AM

R86: she looks so cute!!

by Anonymousreply 87March 28, 2021 4:47 AM

[Quote]Think had Tina Turner been living in USA or under care of American physician he would have been a bit more forceful about things.

You Americans are hilarious. Health care in Switzerland is far better than in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 88March 28, 2021 5:33 AM

Ike was absolutely brilliant.

Brilliant people are crazy lots of the time.

c'est la vie

by Anonymousreply 89March 28, 2021 6:03 AM

Heaven 17 was mentioned upthread. The reason Tina was able to have a huge comeback when she did because she went to England where they have more respect for black music and artists. If she'd have stayed in the U.S. they would have treated her like an oldies act. In England she was able to work with Heaven 17 and The Fixx and take a corny sounding B-side called "What's Love Got to Do With It" by Britsh pop group Bucks Fizz and turn it into a worldwide hit. That could never have happened in America for her.

by Anonymousreply 90March 28, 2021 12:26 PM

One could only hope to die in that amazing home she has in Switzerland. She's already in heaven. Not fair that she gets to go twice. But who am I to begrudge? Love the lady!

by Anonymousreply 91March 28, 2021 12:35 PM

It's pretty astonishing that she made such a fortune on the strength of one album. (The followups weren't nearly the smash that Private Dancer was, at least not in the U.S.) But PD was an incredible piece of work.

Her house did indeed look amazing in the HBO special.

by Anonymousreply 92March 28, 2021 12:38 PM

Private Dancer didn’t even hit number one on the Billboard 200. But Tina was everywhere starting in the summer of 1984. Her narrative and her music were impossible to ignore. It’s a testament to her talent that she was huge in the 80s at the height of the MTV era. She’s more than earned her retirement and some peace and quiet. She went through hell and back. Always have and always will love her.

by Anonymousreply 93March 28, 2021 1:26 PM

Is there anything new in this documentary that wasn't covered in her two books, the movie made from the first book, and the Broadway musical? Like most posters here I admire Tina's strength and tenacity for escaping an abusive relationship and realizing later success on her own terms (even if that involved a duet with milquetoast Bryan Adams), but people rarely bring up the affects of this abuse on her children. How do you leave your kids behind with an angry drug addict like Ike? In an interview with Oprah from 2005 she basically said that she only thought about her own well-being, and that Craig and Ronnie would be fine because the housekeeper was still working for Ike. She doesn't even mention Ike's two other sons that she adopted (I guess once she left they were no longer her children?). She blames Ike for her failure as a mother, but in this case I'm not sure he's 100% responsible for Tina's failings in this department.

After Craig killed himself in 2018 she told the Daily Mail "I remember all the moments when he visited me here. Like all boys, he was a little bit of a pest, but he was still my son! I remember the good things and the bad.” Who calls their son a "pest" in these circumstances? I wouldn't lay the blame for Craig's suicide at Tina's feet, but he was clearly shattered by his childhood, which doesn't fit with Tina's narrative of self-overcoming by chanting and moving to Europe. The fact that Craig shot himself with his grandmother's gun kind of seems like a middle finger to Tina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94March 28, 2021 2:02 PM

Like many people, Tina to some degree repeated the sins of her parents. Her mother left her and Tina left her sons -- she acknowledged that she was gone most of the time, and she has never seemed very emotionally invested in them. She was/is quite scarred by her mother's rejection but doesn't seem to realize what her absence may have done to her sons.

by Anonymousreply 95March 28, 2021 2:10 PM

All I will remember about her are her awesome songs including especially her Proud Mary with Ike and the fact that she escaped his abuse with no money but wearing an Yves Saint Laurent suit. You got to admire the woman. I hope her end is not too painful.

by Anonymousreply 96March 28, 2021 2:21 PM

I'm so glad Oprah was there to use Tina for her own embellishment.

by Anonymousreply 97March 28, 2021 2:24 PM

R95: when Tina's son Craig killed himself, there was a thread here about how Tina never fully cared for her sons maybe because she saw Ike in them. And maybe she's never been around any black men since she left Ike. If she had daughters maybe it would have been different.

by Anonymousreply 98March 28, 2021 2:30 PM

R68 She's got PTSD from her years with Ike. Some people can still fuck you up, even from beyond the grave.

by Anonymousreply 99March 28, 2021 2:42 PM

Her goodbye means she's retiring, not dying. Though of course that will happen one of these days.

I feel for her. To look back on life at 81 and say "the good didn't outweigh the bad"... that's dark.

by Anonymousreply 100March 28, 2021 2:43 PM

Oprah sucks all the oxygen out of the room. Her participation in the documentary was unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 101March 28, 2021 2:49 PM

She’s has an interesting fan base. Blacks ditched her once she became too rock in the 70s, America forgot her until WLGTDWI. Her comeback was white Europeans and gays.

by Anonymousreply 102March 28, 2021 3:35 PM

[quote] I'm so glad Oprah was there to use Tina for her own embellishment.

Oprah is responsible for Tina's current fortune and contentment. In the 90s, after the movie and the glitter faded, and Tina stop selling records, Oprah turned her into a cultural monument. She sold-out huge arenas in the U.S. without the benefit of a hit single or album. All this simply because Oprah held her up as a symbol of triumphant womanhood and Oprah's endorsement is worth her weight in gold.

And Tina deserves every bit of it.

by Anonymousreply 103March 28, 2021 4:15 PM

R103 please, Bitch. Those Fraus wouldn’t know good taste if it bit their cunts. Oprah pushed Tina’s Missing You album and it didn’t even crack a gold cert in the US.

by Anonymousreply 104March 28, 2021 4:22 PM

[quote] [R95]: when Tina's son Craig killed himself, there was a thread here about how Tina never fully cared for her sons maybe because she saw Ike in them. And maybe she's never been around any black men since she left Ike. If she had daughters maybe it would have been different.

It's simpler than that. She has survived the trauma of feeling unloved and discarded, and being abused and degraded, by focusing all of her energy inward and sustaining herself. She probably doesn't know how to give maternal love or affection, or nurture a person. It is an emotional disability. Her husband seems a cold, stoic man who probably only requires her company and companionship.

Her children grew up without her. During their formative years she was in showbusiness and always absent. She could not fill the void she left in their lives. She only knew how to fill her own void. I believe she hoped they would use the money she gave them to find purpose and love and fill their own voids.

by Anonymousreply 105March 28, 2021 4:26 PM

[quote] I feel for her. To look back on life at 81 and say "the good didn't outweigh the bad"... that's dark.

THAT comment was referring specifically to the time with Ike before her solo success. If that was the assessment of her entire life I doubt she would have voiced it. She is very conscious of how her story has the power to uplift and inspire so she wouldn't mess with that.

by Anonymousreply 106March 28, 2021 4:30 PM

I adore Tina — but she’s been milking her life story for decades now.

- Autobiography #1

- Movie What’s Love..

- Interviews and speeches

- Autobiography #2

- Musical

- Documentary

..it never stops. And I’m saying that who has all her music and I’ve seen her in concert four times.

by Anonymousreply 107March 28, 2021 4:52 PM

R107 she learned from Cher

by Anonymousreply 108March 28, 2021 5:00 PM

R104: that album was Wildest Dreams. If your gonna shit on somebody at least aim correctly

by Anonymousreply 109March 28, 2021 5:01 PM

R109 i was shitting on Oprah’s Frau viewers not Tina, you stupid Bobblehead Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 110March 28, 2021 5:06 PM

I love this 1978 song from Tina Turner - Root, Toot, Undisputable Rock N Roller

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111March 28, 2021 5:24 PM

R110: did I say Tina? Clever name calling........

by Anonymousreply 112March 28, 2021 5:32 PM

[quote] Blacks ditched her once she became too rock in the 70s

Blacks didn't ditch her, she ditched Blacks by refusing to do Blues, R&B and Funk, the kind of music that made her famous with Ike. (I understand why she did it, those genres reminded her too much of her past with Ike, but the way she went about trashing those genres didn't sit well with her Black fans.)

Keep in mind, she had to be convinced by her white producer to do "What's Love Got To Do With It" (her biggest hit and signature song) as she felt it was too R&B. No matter how she often she tries to run away from her musical roots, her voice is too deeply drenched in Blues and Gospel to completely erase it.

by Anonymousreply 113March 28, 2021 5:36 PM

Very true r113. She always talked about how she wanted to do Rock like the Rolling Stones knowing good and well the Stones aped blues music. I understand she wanted to live and have fun like a Rock star but she knew where the roots of the music came from.

by Anonymousreply 114March 28, 2021 5:44 PM

[quote] Her goodbye means she's retiring, not dying. Though of course that will happen one of these days.

Tina has basically been retired for 20 years already. Her last tour was in 2008-2009, but she hadn’t toured before that since her first “farewell tour” in 2000, and she hasn’t made an album since 1999. not sure why she felt she needed another round of goodbyes.

by Anonymousreply 115March 28, 2021 5:57 PM

Tina Turner had the most incredible comeback in entertainment history. She became an A-List star in her mid-40s, and was selling out stadiums. More successful than she had ever been previously. That would be impossible for an entertainer today.

by Anonymousreply 116March 28, 2021 6:00 PM

I thought two of tinas sons went with her and the other two stayed with Ike? Also with the exception of the one she has with Ike weren’t all of them over 18 by 1976?

by Anonymousreply 117March 28, 2021 6:14 PM

God knows you don’t need your parents when you are over 18.

by Anonymousreply 118March 28, 2021 6:27 PM

Tina's post "Private Dancer" output WAS very mainstream, safe and commercial, and I totally get why.

She was a 40-plus-year-old black woman who wanted to fill stadiums like the Stones. At her age, the clock was ticking, and she didn't have any more time to fuck around being a "prestige" or "cult" artist, breaking new musical ground and getting rave reviews by putting out music that radio didn't play and people didn't buy. She needed hits. Lots of hits. She needed to drive straight down the middle of the road, appealing to the largest possible audience. For her, that meant highly polished rock-flavored pop.

It worked fairly well, overall. The comeback stalled in the U.S. after the "Foreign Affair" album (other than a brief resurgence tied to the early 90's biopic), but by that time, her status as a legend was secure, and she continued to fill large arenas until she retired.

by Anonymousreply 119March 28, 2021 8:58 PM

Did I need to read r119’s cliff notes summary of Tina Turner’s career? NO!!!

by Anonymousreply 120March 28, 2021 10:37 PM

Her misstep was she had one more album in her after 24/7 and if she had grabbed a hot rock producer to make one last real hard rock album, she would have won another Grammy and received massive praise but she didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 121March 29, 2021 1:34 AM

Yeah I always wondered why she hasn’t, R121 — Save for one or two okay songs, that album is such a snoozefest.

With all relevant rock artists still very much around and active, she could have done a killer album!

..or a beautiful jazz album, like the cover she did for Joni Mitchell’s “Edith and the Kingpin”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122March 29, 2021 4:49 AM

R122 hopefully they’ll release some unreleased songs remastered

by Anonymousreply 123March 29, 2021 5:05 AM

[quote] Blacks didn't ditch her, she ditched Blacks by refusing to do Blues, R&B and Funk, the kind of music that made her famous with Ike. (I understand why she did it, those genres reminded her too much of her past with Ike, but the way she went about trashing those genres didn't sit well with her Black fans.)

No one ditched Tina. Her core fan base is largely Black. Only Black radio and video outlets played singles from her last two studio albums. I saw her last solo show in L.A. and her audience was as diverse as Sade or Janet Jackson (all played the same venue).

by Anonymousreply 124March 29, 2021 2:25 PM

I’m a fan of all of Tina’s pop discography since her 80s comeback. I know a lot of people who loved her music with Ike think it’s pure shit and that’s fine. I enjoyed it and loved the energy she brought to that type of music.

This was one of her last studio recordings, released with her greatest hits album in 2004.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125March 30, 2021 2:38 PM

I found it strange she gave up recording studio albums at only 59. I feel like she could have experimented so much more and could have at least recorded an album before her final tour.

by Anonymousreply 126March 31, 2021 3:52 AM

she's still recording but it's personal - indie albums now. Buddhist chat stuff.

by Anonymousreply 127March 31, 2021 12:07 PM

Boy George said in one of his books that Tina was a total cunt to him backstage at some event, turning her back when Elton John tried to introduce them, so George adapted the Buddhist chant "Nam Myoho Renge Cow" whenever her name was mentioned after that.

by Anonymousreply 128March 31, 2021 12:35 PM

Goodbye Tina. Watch a good movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129March 31, 2021 1:09 PM

Actually Sean Penn secretly had your hair for years so I suggest these gems of sensations:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130March 31, 2021 1:11 PM

So what if she sings music from different genres? Lady Gaga sings pop, jazz, country, rock, even a heavy metal cover with Metallica. Yet no one has a problem with that. Is it because she's white? Tina Turner is black so she stay in her lane? Black people are supposed to sing R&B, soul, or rap only? Then why is Elvis, the so called "King of Rock and Roll," called out for stealing from black musicians so much? If rock is white music anyway.

by Anonymousreply 131March 31, 2021 1:26 PM

[quote]she's still recording but it's personal - indie albums now. Buddhist chat stuff.

That doesn’t count. We’re talking about music.

by Anonymousreply 132April 2, 2021 7:13 AM

[quote] Cher will come back after the nuclear winter along with the cockroaches.

That's because all of her parts are fake by now.

by Anonymousreply 133April 2, 2021 7:16 AM

Tina has never stood up for LGBT rights. I could see BG being too femme for her. She’s just a country girl from Nutbush no matter the illusion she presents. Tina always has sat a little off with the black community because she kowtows to whites and seems to want to be white.

by Anonymousreply 134April 2, 2021 4:07 PM

R128...Boy George, Elton John, Cyndi Lauper nor Darlene Love have favorable things to say about Turner in their books. I've gotten the impression that Tina is for Tina & ultimately is not a warm individual. I've seen her live & she does go to work on the stage, but she has no connection with the audience. Very rehearsed, very structured, very prosaic, zero spontaneity.

by Anonymousreply 135April 2, 2021 11:37 PM

R135: Boy & Elton are notorious bItches.

by Anonymousreply 136April 2, 2021 11:44 PM

R135 she seems like a warm personality who shutdown. Her mother abandoned her, then Ike beat her throughout her marriage while she was a workhorse... wouldn’t you be shutdown and bitter too.

by Anonymousreply 137April 3, 2021 3:19 AM

I've never believed her sob story, that she apparently needs to retell one last(?) time. But if that's what she needed to make some great music, whatever.

by Anonymousreply 138April 3, 2021 3:49 AM

I really enjoyed the documentary. But I’m really not ready to say goodbye to her. Such a legend and a survivor.

by Anonymousreply 139April 3, 2021 3:54 AM

R134 I don’t think that’s entirely true. She was the opening act for the Gay Games in 1982, back when it wasn’t fashionable to be gay-supportive.

That said, she’s not a Bette Midler.

by Anonymousreply 140April 3, 2021 10:06 AM

[quote] I thought two of tinas sons went with her and the other two stayed with Ike?

The older two sons are Ike’s from a previous marriage. She had one son with Ike and one with saxophonist Raymond Hill.

by Anonymousreply 141April 3, 2021 1:26 PM

Reports of her impending sudden demise are all BULLOCKS

by Anonymousreply 142April 3, 2021 1:32 PM

I finished watching the documentary. The last part I thought was really powerful. There’s an audio tape of an interview with Kurt Loder when they were working on her book where she really goes off about how she never had real love in her life and it’s one of the rawest moments I’ve ever heard/seen.

Right after that, the documentary goes into the story of her meeting Erwin and the preceding audio makes it all the more moving.

They also show several outtakes from interviews over the years where they start asking her about Ike and she becomes visibly annoyed. She starts having what is clearly an anxiety or panic attack during one of them.

No, she’s not dying. She just wants to go home to Zurich and spend the rest of her time out of the public eye. They showed her and Erwin’s house and the property is just beautiful. Who the hell wants to talk about Ike and Nutbush after seeing that?

by Anonymousreply 143April 3, 2021 1:39 PM

I don't think anyone else talks the way she does. A unique way of phrasing and pronouncing things, maybe a combination of her views on life coupled with her speaking English less, translating more? Who knows, but almost everything she said in the documentary was expressed in an atypical, startling intimate and wise way. That quote mentioned above about her mother was one of many. Worth a watch. She is a force. Fuck Ike Turner forever.

by Anonymousreply 144April 3, 2021 2:07 PM

I think her affected manner of speaking is a product of her early obsession with Jackie Onassis and wanting to look/sound exactly like her.

by Anonymousreply 145April 3, 2021 2:12 PM

[quote] I think her affected manner of speaking is a product of her early obsession with Jackie Onassis and wanting to look/sound exactly like her.

She sounds more Eartha Kitt than Jackie O.

by Anonymousreply 146April 3, 2021 2:46 PM

'Tina Turner's Funeral'?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147April 3, 2021 3:35 PM

R148 I always likened her unusual speaking affectation to that of Eartha Kitt as well. She sure doesn't sound like one would imagine a Tennessee sharecropper's daughter would sound.

She obviously went through a lot of trauma in her life, starting very early on in her childhood, and adopting a new quasi-"accent" might have been a way for her to psychologically distance herself from all of that hurt.

I think it would have made a fascinating little segment in the doc if she'd been asked about it. It's something everybody notices about her, but it's never really talked about.

by Anonymousreply 148April 3, 2021 3:38 PM

She had a miserable, abusive childhood and then went right into a miserable, abusive marriage that lasted for nearly 20 years. Of course she's going to be a bit distant and standoffish. Who wouldn't be with that kind of history? She didn't break free and start living an independent life that was free of turmoil and abuse until she was in her late 30s. Amazing that she survived all of that without losing her mind or turning into a hard, bitter person.

by Anonymousreply 149April 3, 2021 6:37 PM

“Tina always has sat a little off with the black community because she kowtows to whites and seems to want to be white.”

She probably was sick and tired of her own people, like her mother and Ike, treating her like dirt.

by Anonymousreply 150April 4, 2021 4:36 AM

In Tina's case, she was treated much better by the white people in her life than she was by other black people.

by Anonymousreply 151April 4, 2021 4:57 AM

Marlene Dietrich considerd Tina Turner the best choice for a remake of The Blue Angel.

by Anonymousreply 152April 4, 2021 6:29 PM

Weren't Tina's kids adults by the time she left them? How can you "leave" a legal adult behind? Also heard that her sons aligned themselves with Ike after their divorce, sounds like they took after their father/father figure

by Anonymousreply 153May 8, 2021 7:27 PM

She can’t sing. Overrated cause she’s black.

by Anonymousreply 154May 8, 2021 7:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!