Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever worked 2 jobs at once while working from home?

I started a new job six months ago and because of COVID, everyone is working from home and I’ve never met my co-workers. Now I’m being recruited on LinkedIn by another company for a job that is a perfect fit for me. I’m tempted to take on this job too and then juggle the two on my own time since they’re both work from home. My current job is not taking up all 8 hours a day so I think I can manage this and maybe even work longer hours into the night or weekend if needed. Then I would have two full-time salaries.

The only issue I see is if I need to be in two meetings at once, but I could get another phone or if it’s a Zoom meeting, place a decoy figure in front of the camera. And if we ever have to go back into the office then I’m fucked! Has anyone ever pulled this off?

by Anonymousreply 50August 18, 2021 12:39 AM

My friend does this, but, for her, the times don't overlap. One is a primary job and the other is a freelance job.

by Anonymousreply 1March 10, 2021 6:54 PM

Not a bad idea, OP. Never thought about how easy it is to do that with everyone working from home. I may try it.

by Anonymousreply 2March 10, 2021 6:54 PM

Tell us more about this decoy figure you’d place in front of the camera

by Anonymousreply 3March 10, 2021 6:57 PM

I like the idea, OP. Give it a try.

by Anonymousreply 4March 10, 2021 6:58 PM

I did this for about 3 months. Working two job simultaneously. It was extremely stressful and go an UTI twice during this time.

The money was great and I did it to pay off some bills. But, I’ll never do it again.

by Anonymousreply 5March 10, 2021 6:59 PM

I've had simultaneous Zoom and Teams meetings while shitposting here. In fact, I'm doing it right now on a Zoom call and they think I'm taking copious notes.

by Anonymousreply 6March 10, 2021 7:01 PM

Do you have a work laptop supplied by company #1? Or are they somehow monitoring your time? Because I could see that being an issue if you were switching between jobs during the day.

by Anonymousreply 7March 10, 2021 7:02 PM

Yes. Very hard.

by Anonymousreply 8March 10, 2021 7:03 PM

I have way too many zoom calls in my current job to consider another similar job

by Anonymousreply 9March 10, 2021 7:03 PM

This sounds like an episode of [italic]I Love Lucy[/italic] .

by Anonymousreply 10March 10, 2021 7:07 PM

Here's the decoy OP ordered....Just don't inflate him on camera or you'll get a sexual harassment thing going

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 10, 2021 7:08 PM

What is the problem? if you don't like it or it doesn't work just quit one of them. If the 2nd job suits you then you can try it out without quitting your first job. As long as you are doing the work for both companies I don't understand the problem.

by Anonymousreply 12March 10, 2021 7:13 PM

No moonlighting!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 10, 2021 7:13 PM

[quote]Tell us more about this decoy figure you’d place in front of the camera

I'm assuming it's inflatable.

by Anonymousreply 14March 10, 2021 7:21 PM

I only recommend part-time. Two full-times is dangerous—for health—you’ll probably get caught and let go. The part-time should either be flexible; rare meetings or after work.

by Anonymousreply 15March 10, 2021 7:23 PM

No, it’s not inflatable. I have a dressing mannequin that I plan on using. Putting a wig on it, with glasses and a hat and it could fool people, especially in a tiny low res square on Zoom. Also someone on CNET wrote an article about how he tricked his co-wokers for two weeks into thinking he was actually in Zoom meetings when it was just a decoy.

by Anonymousreply 16March 10, 2021 7:29 PM

I'm too busy and have too many client meetings. If I had a less demanding job I guess I would consider it.

by Anonymousreply 17March 10, 2021 7:33 PM

[quote] you’ll probably get caught and let go.

How would you get caught if you don’t tell anybody?

by Anonymousreply 18March 10, 2021 7:34 PM

R18–you’re not “available” through IM or phone; you can’t make that meeting because you have a meeting at the same time with your real job; you’re slow with projects; etc.

by Anonymousreply 19March 10, 2021 7:38 PM

I was thinking something like this as my decoy. This was a quick version, the one I use will be slightly more realistic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 10, 2021 7:43 PM

As someone who runs zoom meetings almost daily, I can tell you that if someone put a never breathing, never moving, never blinking, never speaking mannequin in front of the camera, I would stop the meeting and totally rip the person a new asshole, right before firing them. Can't wait to see if you work for me...

by Anonymousreply 21March 10, 2021 7:57 PM

Who says the mannequin can’t move or blink?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 10, 2021 8:05 PM

Does receiving or giving a blowjob while typing count?

by Anonymousreply 23March 10, 2021 9:44 PM

You don't have to use a decoy. There's a tik tok on how to use a looped image of yourself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 10, 2021 10:21 PM

Don’t try it, Mr. Toobin.

by Anonymousreply 25March 10, 2021 11:21 PM

I wouldn't want to work with R21. She's a humorless cunt.

by Anonymousreply 26March 11, 2021 12:04 AM

That girl is really beautiful, R24. Too bad she's a Jesus freak.

by Anonymousreply 27March 11, 2021 12:22 AM

Yes. High powered reporter for important publication. And private cam sex sessions for horny east coast sluts.

by Anonymousreply 28March 11, 2021 12:28 AM

I worked 2 dicks at once while working from home!

by Anonymousreply 29March 11, 2021 12:34 AM

Yes! I did the same as R1. Worked FT at a company (for benefits) while freelancing PT at another company. It was difficult, but paid off when co 1 (which I hated) laid me off and co 2 (which I really wanted) hired me FT. I did this before Covid, while onsite at co 1. It should be easier now if entirely remote.

by Anonymousreply 30March 11, 2021 12:47 AM

This sounds like an 80’s sitcom plot. After OP’s plan gets foiled by both bosses at the same time, he will finally understand that the real treasure was the friends he made along the way.

by Anonymousreply 31March 11, 2021 12:55 AM

Research carefully first. I read about something like this and the person got in trouble for fraud. I think it’s considered falsifying time or stealing from the company.

by Anonymousreply 32March 11, 2021 9:18 AM

R28 - sex alone or with someone else?

by Anonymousreply 33March 11, 2021 4:36 PM

[quote] Research carefully first. I read about something like this and the person got in trouble for fraud. I think it’s considered falsifying time or stealing from the company.

Why would it be fraud when it’s work from home and you set your own hours. As long as you get the work done, it shouldn’t matter, even if it means you have to work weekends.

by Anonymousreply 34March 12, 2021 8:13 AM

By taking up a full time second job, you could also possibly be depriving somebody else who is currently unemployed of a job.

by Anonymousreply 35March 12, 2021 8:23 AM

R35, and...

by Anonymousreply 36March 13, 2021 1:23 AM

Doing it now. When the pandemic hit, I kept my old job and started wfh and was bored out of my mind. A lot of what I do is meet w potential university students (admissions dean) and so I started scheduling them all from 8-noon my time which left a lot of the day free. So I took on a side gig editing and it brought in an extra 60k from last Feb til now. I was able to waive insurance on the second job so it’s been almost entirely net profit.

by Anonymousreply 37March 13, 2021 2:37 AM

How did you get an editing job that pays that much part time?

by Anonymousreply 38August 17, 2021 11:40 PM

I've always done this, even before Covid. Now I work my primary job from 9-6 and then from 6-11 I do freelance stuff. This is likely the last project I will take on like this though. I'm getting older and I can't take the stress anymore. But yes, the money is nice.

R38, if it's video editing which is what I do that money is feasible.

by Anonymousreply 39August 17, 2021 11:47 PM

Are you a poor? Why would you work two jobs if you didn’t need to?

by Anonymousreply 40August 17, 2021 11:49 PM

I've been poor, r40. I'm not anymore precisely because I have worked two jobs on and off for years. I have a lot of $ saved now and zero debt. I don't need to work the two jobs anymore so like I said, this will be the last time.

by Anonymousreply 41August 17, 2021 11:51 PM

[quote] Are you a poor? Why would you work two jobs if you didn’t need to?

Uh, so you can get two salaries? If one pays $150K and the other pays $225K, then you’re almost making half a mil a year.

by Anonymousreply 42August 17, 2021 11:53 PM

Take a 3rd or 4th job and outsource most of the projects at a small rate to someone in a depressed country to do while you watch TV all day.

by Anonymousreply 43August 17, 2021 11:53 PM

That's a quick way to get fired from all those jobs. I've fired several people for doing that shit. Kiss your recommendations goodbye as well for any other place you try to apply at.

by Anonymousreply 44August 17, 2021 11:57 PM

Why, R44? Why did you fire them? How would you even know they have other jobs? And SEVERAL of your people were working multiple jobs?

by Anonymousreply 45August 18, 2021 12:01 AM

As an editor, I am sought after because of my particular style and work ethic. It would be obvious if I turned in work that wasn't mine not to mention getting shit back from a less talented editor that was crap and not wanting to put my name on it or associated with it. I have a reputation to protect.

by Anonymousreply 46August 18, 2021 12:07 AM

Are you kidding me? You're openly admitting to being unproductive and double/triple dipping by "working" for multiple employers all at the same time, and just phoning it in at each position.

It's beyond easy to monitor and spot when employees are doing this crap.

by Anonymousreply 47August 18, 2021 12:14 AM

I've been phoning it in for decades. No one's noticed because my phoning it in is better than most people's best.

by Anonymousreply 48August 18, 2021 12:27 AM

Before making a decision, watch the restaurant scene in Mrs. Doubtfire, OP.

by Anonymousreply 49August 18, 2021 12:38 AM

I totally agree with R44. I had a couple of employees pull that crap, and they got caught because they were unable to meet deadlines. Frankly, I believe they pretty much stopped working for us and just dragged it out until they were fired. They got their wish.

by Anonymousreply 50August 18, 2021 12:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!