Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Honeymoon Killers

One of my fave movies! Shirley Stoler was excellent in her role as Martha Beck. Other notable performances by Shirley include:

An iconic season 4 episode of Charlie’s Angels as Big Aggie “Caged Angel”

Pee-wee’s Playhouse as Mrs. Steve

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2024 3:38 AM

Agreed, OP. Shirley deserves more love/recognition on DL.

Other roles:

SEVEN BEAUTIES

KLUTE

DESPERATELY SEEKING SUSAN

She's also the psychiatric nurse in VALLEY OF THE DOLLS with Patty Duke. Not sure why this doesn't appear in her IMDB profile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 9, 2021 5:19 PM

That looks absolutely wunderbar, Miss OP!!! My kind of movie.

by Anonymousreply 2March 9, 2021 5:24 PM

I just noticed, Raymond’s mother was in it. Doris Roberts!

by Anonymousreply 3March 9, 2021 5:26 PM

Shirley Stoler was memorable on "The Edge of Night" as a humorless killer named Frankie and in two roles on "One Life to Live", recurring for two years as Dorian's prison cellmate Roberta Coleman whose son Wade married Mary Lynn Dennison, then as the widow of a mobster who had Mortimer Bern in cement shoes. She shared a scene with Elaine Stritch in the second visit. Her character was obviously influenced by Sally Spectra of "B&B", a big lady with a lust for hot bodybuilders.

by Anonymousreply 4March 9, 2021 5:36 PM

For years I wouldn’t watch The Honeymoon Killers. It gave me the willies big time. When I finally watched it Shirley won me over with her performance. And she was fantastic in Seven Beauties.

by Anonymousreply 5March 9, 2021 11:38 PM

Based on a true story!

by Anonymousreply 6March 9, 2021 11:45 PM

Tony Lo Bianco was hot

by Anonymousreply 7March 9, 2021 11:55 PM

Shirley Stoler was nothing short of magnificent in Seven Beauties.

And R4, I forgot she was in The Edge of Night. I just watched those episodes on YouTube a few months ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 10, 2021 1:16 AM

I just watched this all the way through for the first time tonight. I thought it was riveting, even though the acting was questionable in many parts. I think Divine would have been perfect for the role of Martha. I got the feeling watching the movie that Shirley Stoller's performance inspired many of Divine's performances during her career.

by Anonymousreply 9March 23, 2022 5:02 AM

She was wonderful in this, as was Tony LoBianco as the ultimate low-rent sleazy leather jacket lover.

by Anonymousreply 10March 23, 2022 6:36 AM

Is it on YouTube?

by Anonymousreply 11March 23, 2022 7:40 AM

how eldergays filled their days before DL .....perfection.

by Anonymousreply 12March 23, 2022 2:01 PM

What do you mean, R12? Filled their days by killing people?

by Anonymousreply 13March 23, 2022 6:05 PM

just here to say it looks like the whole thing is up on youtube

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2024 2:54 AM

Director Leonard Kastle's only film

from The NY Times review Feb. 5, 1970 By Roger Greenspun

Shirley Stoler certainly looks the part of Martha Beck, but she brings to the role an air of grand disdain that seems reasonable as interpretation but sometimes awkward in performance. But Tony LoBianco, with slightly too much profile and a characterization that suggests an immensely humanized early Bela Lugosi, is brilliant.The real star of the movie is its writer-director. Leonard Kastle is a 40-year-old composer who has not previously made films. Oddly, the musical background—selections from Mahler symphonies, which oversell every climax—is the only serious failure in "The Honeymoon Killers." But direction, the sum of those decisions that the filmmaker must feel as moral imperatives and that constitute the authorship of a movie, places Kastle among the important deliberate artists of his medium.

The Cast THE HONEYMOON KILLERS, directed and written by Leonard Kastle; director of photography, Oliver Wood; music by Gustav Mahler; produced by Warren Steibel; distributed by Cinerama-Releasing Corporation. At the Cine Malibu, 59th Street, between Second and Third Avenues, and neighborhood theaters. Running time: 107 minutes. (The Motion Picture Association of America's Production Code and Rating Administration classifies this film: "R—restricted—persons under 16 not admitted, unless accompanied by parent or adult guardian.")Martha Beck . . . . . Shirley StolerRay Fernandez . . . . . Tony LoBiancoJanet Fay . . . . . Mary Jane HigbyBunny . . . . . Doris RobertsDelphine Downing . . . . . Kip McArdleMyrtle Young . . . . . Marilyn ChrisMrs. Beck . . . . . Dortha DuckworthEvelyn Long . . . . . Barbara Cason

by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2024 3:28 AM

Remember the 2006 remake LONELY HEARTS in which Salma Hayek and Jared Leto were inexplicably cast as Martha Beck and Raymond Fernandez.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2024 3:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!