Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Charles Blow of the New York Times takes Pepe Le Pew seriously as a rapist

...and has no sense of humor, or understanding of satire or irony. Pepe is a take-off on Pepe Le Moko, the romantic Frenchman in the Hollywood film, Algiers (w/Charles Boyer, 1938) a remake of the French film, Pepe Le Moko (w/Jean Gabin, 1937). People don't get the references in Warner Bros cartoons any more, anyway (Foghorn Leghorn being based on the Fred Allen/Allen's Alley character, Senator Claghorn, a Dixiecrat senator, for ex). Anyhow - DL already had a thread about Pepe's amorous ways and rape culture in 2020.

But let's remember the joke is that he's a skunk and he smells, and his amorous advances are repulsed for that reason, and he's oblivious, and that's the joke. Omg

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148March 11, 2021 4:41 AM

It’s like he doesn’t understand that Pepe Le Pew made fun of the stereotype of sleazy, delusional men who think their shit doesn’t stink.

by Anonymousreply 1March 6, 2021 6:18 PM

Charles Blow is cute but he's dumb. Just not very bright.

by Anonymousreply 2March 6, 2021 6:20 PM

Like M. Le Pew's, Blow's name fits him well.

by Anonymousreply 3March 6, 2021 6:21 PM

[quote] It’s like he doesn’t understand that Pepe Le Pew made fun of the stereotype of sleazy, delusional men who think their shit doesn’t stink.

That’s correct but it doesn’t take into account the change in viewership of the WB cartoons. They were originally shorts made for adults before movies. But with TV and the baby boom, massive numbers of children were watching cartoons, typically on Saturday mornings, and kids often don’t get satire quite the same as adults.

He actually (sort of) has a point.

by Anonymousreply 4March 6, 2021 6:30 PM

R4 Pepe Le Pew? I wonder if Charles Blow ever listens to the lyrics that popular rappers sing. Lyrics that young kids mindlessly sing along with. And he's worried about Pepe LePew???

by Anonymousreply 5March 6, 2021 6:36 PM

Charles Blow will never blame black people for anything R5, so good luck with that.

He's gone out of his way to defend homophobia in the black community many times, even at the expense of other black gay men.

He's one of those "I don't do labels" gays. The self hatred reeks strongly from him.

by Anonymousreply 6March 6, 2021 6:40 PM

Pepe Le Pew is literally violence apparently. I think culture just officially died as they work to cancel a 75 year old cartoon character. The world has truly lost its fucking collective mind, the Corona I think did more beyond what it appears to have unleashed..

by Anonymousreply 7March 6, 2021 6:43 PM

R6 Agreed.

Our current fucked-up "woke" culture will never cancel this crap. Everybody sing along!:

(of course if white men were the authors....could you imagine!?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 6, 2021 6:49 PM

The millions and millions and millions of children watching Pepe le Pew cartoons today on the super-popular "All Pepe LePew, All the Time Show" are being led down the primrose path!

by Anonymousreply 9March 6, 2021 6:52 PM

[quote]That’s correct but it doesn’t take into account the change in viewership of the WB cartoons. They were originally shorts made for adults before movies. But with TV and the baby boom, massive numbers of children were watching cartoons, typically on Saturday mornings, and kids often don’t get satire quite the same as adults.

You don't think they showed cartoons in theaters before kids' movies?

by Anonymousreply 10March 6, 2021 6:52 PM

And yet, no one seems disturbed at the possibility of cross species sex?

by Anonymousreply 11March 6, 2021 6:58 PM

Charles Blow seems very hysterical. His anti-Trump columns were always at 11 even with 10 was enough to get the point accross.

by Anonymousreply 12March 6, 2021 7:01 PM

Has Bugs Bunny been cancelled yet?

His penchant for dressing as a woman and forcibly kissing Elmer Fudd is deeply transphobic and contributes to the stereotype of trans women as sexual predators!

TRANS WOMEN ARE BEING MURDERED BECAUSE OF BUGS BUNNY!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 13March 6, 2021 7:15 PM

I loved Pepe Le Pew and thought the poor creature's utter cluelessness was hilarious. Doesn't Blow remember all the blows the cat deals poor Pepe? I think he was the physically abused one. Anyway, j't'adore French accents, even on cartoon characters. Also love Foghorn Cleghorn. "Ah say, Ah mean, Ah say there....."

by Anonymousreply 14March 6, 2021 7:19 PM

[quote] You don't think they showed cartoons in theaters before kids' movies?

They did but it wasn’t the main reason for the purchase, and it wasn’t the reason WB made the cartoons. They made them for adults and that’s who primarily consumed them. They had a block sale program and they forced the theaters to buy blocks of programming — movies and shorts in a package.

Later, there was a court decision that invalidated this policy and so WB could no longer shrinkwrap the cartoons in with the feature films. So theaters stopped buying the cartoons, and cartoons started being made more for kids and tv.

Once again, these cartoons were not made to be consumed by kids, so the satire wasn’t perceived as such by them.

by Anonymousreply 15March 6, 2021 7:20 PM

Charles Blow made a very good mid-six figure salary for about four years writing the same column weekly, just changing the words around slightly "I HATE Trump! I hate him! Oh, do I hate him! He is a bad man and I hate him!"

Not that anyone should be praising Trump, but at least vary it up a little and explain why you hate him this week or what you'd do differently.

Now he's all about how Blacks should move back to the South (he wrote a book about it) and trying to prove to the Woke Young Things at the Times that he's even more Woke than they are.

He's still not as bad as Lesbian Columnist Kara Swisher who thinks her Rich White Woman Problems are universal. (Today she's whining about vaccine distribution, but only as much as it affects here and there's no manager to speak to so she is writing a column about it!)

by Anonymousreply 16March 6, 2021 7:24 PM

^^affects her

by Anonymousreply 17March 6, 2021 7:24 PM

People can harp on the old studio cartoons all they want. They also forget that without those very cartoon there would be entire generations who would be clueless to things like classical music. I cant hear listen to The Barber of Seville or Carmen without thinking of Warner Cartoons. Ive noticed that is something that is lacking in the younger generation...lack of diversity in their education.

by Anonymousreply 18March 6, 2021 7:26 PM

I think Miss Blow knows it's a bit ridiculous, and knows how this is going to be received, but her need for clicks and views is taking precedence over her need to be taken seriously.

by Anonymousreply 19March 6, 2021 7:27 PM

[quote] They also forget that without those very cartoon there would be entire generations who would be clueless to things like classical music.

Bitch please.

by Anonymousreply 20March 6, 2021 7:34 PM

Blow says Blacks should move to the South to create an new apartheid.

by Anonymousreply 21March 6, 2021 7:34 PM

Oh, I didn't know that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 6, 2021 7:37 PM

He is a skunk trying to ravage a cat. That is all kinds of wrong. It's not male over powering female. It's a skunk a damned skunk.

by Anonymousreply 23March 6, 2021 7:38 PM

r20 Seriously. Children today are rarely taught things like History, Arts, Civics...and usually the exposure is limited. You cant blame teachers because legislatures continually cut funding and dictate the curriculum, instead opting to cover things like Creationism.

by Anonymousreply 24March 6, 2021 7:42 PM

Le sigh.

by Anonymousreply 25March 6, 2021 7:43 PM

No one who's really "Woke" writes for the NY Times. The same paper that was instrumental in selling the Iraq War? Please.

I loved when someone called him out on his silence over the NY Times endorsing Kloubuchar for President. This was when he was going after Bloomberg on a daily basis, but said zero about Amy, who's failure to charge Derek Chauvin gave Black Lives Matter it's biggest boost ever.

He's only as outspoken as he knows he can get away with. Is he leaving the NY Times to embark on his new idea? Of course not.

by Anonymousreply 26March 6, 2021 7:44 PM

Porky Pig has fostered DECADES of humiliating people who are "differently abled" speech-wise.

C-c-c-an-cel P-p-p-porky P-p-pig NOW!

by Anonymousreply 27March 6, 2021 7:45 PM

No one better cancel Marvin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 6, 2021 7:49 PM

Bugs was also very mean to these poor hill folk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 6, 2021 7:52 PM

Most cartoon characters are based on some sort of "flaw", which is what makes them work as cartoons. Who would want to watch a cartoon about a character who does everything as it should be done and takes no chances. Boring.

by Anonymousreply 30March 6, 2021 8:01 PM

When I began writing 20 years ago, I read this book. I guess it's not relevant any longer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 6, 2021 8:02 PM

[quote] No one who's really "Woke" writes for the NY Times. The same paper that was instrumental in selling the Iraq War?

That was almost twenty years ago. Not the same editorial board, not the same staff.

by Anonymousreply 32March 6, 2021 8:02 PM

Didn't they start editing Bugs a long time ago? Much of the violent content has been removed.

by Anonymousreply 33March 6, 2021 8:04 PM

[quote]Anyhow - DL already had a thread about Pepe's amorous ways and rape culture in 2020.

Link?

by Anonymousreply 34March 6, 2021 8:19 PM

What’s with the constant culture war/agenda threads?

Trying to make liberals appear crazy. This is coordinated with overseas funders. Stop clicking and responding. FF was

by Anonymousreply 35March 6, 2021 8:21 PM

[quote]Trying to make liberals appear crazy. This is coordinated with overseas funders.

Oh FFS. Whining about a cartoon character from the 1940s being a rapist IS crazy.

by Anonymousreply 36March 6, 2021 8:27 PM

Imagine spending your time looking for offense in cartoons, movies, books, etc. It’s all very fucking tiresome. Where is this going?

by Anonymousreply 37March 6, 2021 8:37 PM

R35 Oh will you please just stop it with your conspiracy theories. You're like the left's version of a QAnon believer.

Charles Blow is a prominent NYT columnist writing a silly Twitter post. And we're going to discuss it. If that's too much for you, leave the fucking thread.

by Anonymousreply 38March 6, 2021 9:32 PM

All of this “cancel culture” is a hoax being perpetrated by the right wing & a few mental cases on the left. Democrats need to get the message out “Cancel culture is an exaggerated version of the fake moon landing that’s being pushed to make half the population lol like it believes a lot of nonsense.”

Q people are the real nuts.

by Anonymousreply 39March 6, 2021 10:17 PM

Something tells me they’ll be coming for Bull and Moose soon.

by Anonymousreply 40March 6, 2021 10:19 PM

[quote] No one who's really "Woke" writes for the NY Times. The same paper that was instrumental in selling the Iraq War? Please.

This is what is so frustrating about Datalounge.

It's as if time stopped and we've all been frozen in amber for 20 or 30 years.

The Iraq War was 18 years ago.

The "woke" staffers were in FUCKING KINDERGARTEN back then. (Or at least elementary school)

by Anonymousreply 41March 6, 2021 11:21 PM

I've watched hundreds if not hours of Looney Toons and I've yet to chase/molest a female cat, or eat a canary, or drop an Acme anvil on a road runner, or "shoot the wabbit".

Why?

Because they're cartoons and not real life. And, I'm intelligent and was intelligent enough as a 5 year old to get you don't/can't drop anvils on animals/people.

Charles Blowhard is just looking for some 20 minute fame.

by Anonymousreply 42March 6, 2021 11:27 PM

NY Times is shitrag journalism. The Iraq War was just the most egregious example. They've kissed Trump's ass many times over the last four years.

by Anonymousreply 43March 6, 2021 11:42 PM

Dave Chapelle did this as a joke over a decade ago.

by Anonymousreply 44March 6, 2021 11:49 PM

Just wait til you hear what he has to say about Daffy Duck....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 6, 2021 11:50 PM

r6 Wrong. He is very clear about his label (annoyingly so); bisexual. How you think he is a 'no label gay' when he is a) married to a woman, and b) not gay!

by Anonymousreply 46March 6, 2021 11:54 PM

R5

This Blow cretin liked “WAP” but thinks Pepe le Pew is dangerous?

The Left is a joke.

by Anonymousreply 47March 6, 2021 11:55 PM

R35

So called “liberals” are doing this on their own dime.

Don’t blame Republicans for the fact that the Left has gone insane.

by Anonymousreply 48March 6, 2021 11:59 PM

Charles Blow has an *ex* wife, r46. They divorced in 2000, he came out as bisexual in 2014.

by Anonymousreply 49March 6, 2021 11:59 PM

[quote]I've watched hundreds if not hours of Looney Toons and I've yet to chase/molest a female cat, or eat a canary, or drop an Acme anvil on a road runner, or "shoot the wabbit".

LOL.

by Anonymousreply 50March 7, 2021 12:01 AM

[quote]Link?

I searched "Pepe Le Pew"

by Anonymousreply 51March 7, 2021 12:02 AM

Pepe LePew has always been inappropriate and rapey. I don't buy that it's "satirical" or "ironic." All the same, Pepe LePew is very funny. I guess sometimes rape IS funny. #SorryNotSorry

by Anonymousreply 52March 7, 2021 12:02 AM

Here's a thread from 2017.

You bitches were on it!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53March 7, 2021 12:03 AM

These cartoons were not made exclusively for adults or children. In the 40's and 50s, most movies were attended by all ages. Kids who went to the movies then were definitely fans of these cartoons. Bugs and all the WB cartoon characters were popular with kids. At the same time the cartoons were popular with, sophisticated enough for, adults. Mel Blanc was great and had a lot to do with why the characters were funny to the ear.

by Anonymousreply 54March 7, 2021 12:06 AM

So because the author is black, he has no right to say anything about this subject because RAP MUSIC!!!

Wow. Love how those "hoodlum thug rappers" are the still the go to for Datalounge's racists.

by Anonymousreply 55March 7, 2021 12:10 AM

[quote]This is what is so frustrating about Datalounge.

It's as if time stopped and we've all been frozen in amber for 20 or 30 years.

The Iraq War was 18 years ago.

The "woke" staffers were in FUCKING KINDERGARTEN back then. (Or at least elementary school)

So the staffers of the New York Times are all in their early 20s? Was George W. Bush in fucking kindergarten then, too?

by Anonymousreply 56March 7, 2021 12:20 AM

R55 glad someone said it. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 57March 7, 2021 12:21 AM

Sorry, this is what should have been in quotes:

[quote]This is what is so frustrating about Datalounge. It's as if time stopped and we've all been frozen in amber for 20 or 30 years. The Iraq War was 18 years ago. The "woke" staffers were in FUCKING KINDERGARTEN back then. (Or at least elementary school)

by Anonymousreply 58March 7, 2021 12:23 AM

[quote]Something tells me they’ll be coming for Bull and Moose soon.

Who?

by Anonymousreply 59March 7, 2021 12:24 AM

I'm NOT gay. I'm bisexual with THREE kids - all graduates of top universities.

by Anonymousreply 60March 7, 2021 12:32 AM

"Imagine spending your time looking for offense in cartoons, movies, books, etc. It’s all very fucking tiresome. Where is this going? "

Or rap music. Where IS this going?

by Anonymousreply 61March 7, 2021 12:40 AM

As someone posted on another platform (and I paraphrase), "What can you expect from a "woke" cultuew that reassigns the gender of a plastic potato?"

by Anonymousreply 62March 7, 2021 12:41 AM

*cultuew = culture

by Anonymousreply 63March 7, 2021 12:43 AM

[quote]This is what is so frustrating about Datalounge. It's as if time stopped and we've all been frozen in amber for 20 or 30 years. The Iraq War was 18 years ago. The "woke" staffers were in FUCKING KINDERGARTEN back then. (Or at least elementary school)

And no one has cared about Pepe Le Pew for the last 70 years, but that didn't stop Charles Blow.

by Anonymousreply 64March 7, 2021 12:44 AM

[quote]People can harp on the old studio cartoons all they want. They also forget that without those very cartoon there would be entire generations who would be clueless to things like classical music.

Pepe Le Pew being a serial rapist is okay because some unrelated cartoons used opera music?

People spending their weekend defending Pepe Le Pew over, what, some guy's opinion in a few tweets? How delicate are you guys?

It's funny that DL on weekends is almost nothing but you whiny rightwingers, nothing better to do on the weekend than cry about "woke culture" on a forum no one goes to anymore, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 65March 7, 2021 12:44 AM

All you need to know about Blow's self-loathing is that he "blames" his "homosexual desires" on the fact that he was "molested" (his words) when he was 10 or 11 by a slightly older friend/cousin - his autobiography could have been written by Focus on the Family. I don't think he has ever had a proper relationship with another man besides hookups and he really hates gay men.

by Anonymousreply 66March 7, 2021 12:45 AM

This is why some people, no matter what, will never vote for a Democrat. 2022 will be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 67March 7, 2021 12:53 AM

I had to unfollow Charles Blow on Twitter. He's humourless and condescending.

by Anonymousreply 68March 7, 2021 12:55 AM

[quote]Pepe Le Pew being a serial rapist...

Uh...sweetie...Pepe Le Pew is a cartoon character from LOONEY TUNES.

by Anonymousreply 69March 7, 2021 12:56 AM

Yeah, he has very limited views on the gay community that show his lack of understanding.

I've read his article on how Hollywood forces black men into dresses against their will, and was surprised that he completely ignored entertainers like Rupaul, Sylvester and Little Nas X, who have broken ground as African American gender benders. It was just one long pointless screed about how black men have to be humiliated by white men to make it in Hollywood. As if anyone is forcing Tyler Perry and Jamie Foxx into dresses.

Bell Hooks is a much, much better writer in terms of gay issues and covered this same area with a lot more depth and understanding.

by Anonymousreply 70March 7, 2021 12:57 AM

It’s almost as if you’ve to be somewhat unintelligent to be Woke, as it means a complete inability - or is it an unwillingness - to reckon with things slightly complicated like context, nuance, irony, parody, or INTENTION.

by Anonymousreply 71March 7, 2021 1:09 AM

R18 Erm... Carmen is a George bizet (French), opera before being in the cartoon, so you are asking them for too much. This generation education is scary. Very scary. The other day I was reading one of these Genz z explain that Ravel's bolero (another Frenchman), could incite men to commit rape and that this should be cancelled. I first thought it was a joke, but no, this person was extremely serious. I believe that the "Woke" are mentally ill, which some politicians use.

by Anonymousreply 72March 7, 2021 1:24 AM

Cancelled in one, two, three....

by Anonymousreply 73March 7, 2021 1:25 AM

[quote]Pepe Le Pew being a serial rapist

MARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 74March 7, 2021 1:29 AM

Pepe Le Rapiste.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75March 7, 2021 1:37 AM

recently, they also wanted to cancel Beethoven. And a few years before that they said he was a black man. Beethoven was a German guy. How ridiculous. European are laughing at America

by Anonymousreply 76March 7, 2021 1:44 AM

[quote] This is why some people, no matter what, will never vote for a Democrat.

They have and keep doing so. Have you been in a coma? This writer is not a politician. I don’t know why people think politics is going to stop annoying insufferable people like this writer. It won’t. You vote based on issues, not your annoying next door neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 77March 7, 2021 1:54 AM

[quote] So because the author is black, he has no right to say anything about this subject because RAP MUSIC!!!

Someone said he wrote pieces defending rape music. So if true, yes, it’s relevant and hypocritical.

by Anonymousreply 78March 7, 2021 1:56 AM

This writer is 50 years old. lol

I expect this type of foolishness from someone in their 20s.

by Anonymousreply 79March 7, 2021 1:58 AM

I never knew until today that the cat is female. Ever since I was a kid I thought the cat was male. I thought that was the humor of it. If the cat is female, then I don’t get it. Cross-species relationships in a cartoon don’t seem noteworthy.

by Anonymousreply 80March 7, 2021 2:02 AM

I'm wondering what Charles Blow's gay sex life is like. Twinks, white boys, femmes, thugs, Latinos, Asians, nothing in particular? He seems like he'd have super narrow preferences.

by Anonymousreply 81March 7, 2021 2:04 AM

[quote] Europeans are laughing at America

Europe produced The Enlightenment and we are dragging in a New Dark Ages.

France produced 'Charlie Hebdo' and those other people from the Dark Ages murdered 'Charlie Hebdo' .

by Anonymousreply 82March 7, 2021 2:05 AM

More fodder for the anti-woke crowd to scream about. We've got right-wing fascists actively working to destroy the country from within, and this stupid bullshit is what we talk about here.

by Anonymousreply 83March 7, 2021 2:09 AM

We're facing global warming, water sources drying up, wide scale homelessness, and a very precarious economy, and major publications think Pepe Le Pew and Dr. Suess are the important subjects of the day? We are doomed.

by Anonymousreply 84March 7, 2021 2:11 AM

R82 France produced both. The Enlightenment century " Les lumières", started in France ( Voltaire, Rousseau, Diderot, Beaumarchais , Montesquieu),etc.. They were opposed to obscurantism so what you say is so true!

"Enlightenment. The century is intended to be illuminated by the metaphorical light of knowledge — not divine enlightenment, "emanation of the absolute," used exclusively in the singular — acquired by the experience and teaching of the past. It also suggests a Manichean view of the world, where the "enlightened man" opposes the mass of those who remained in darkness. The formula therefore has both a social and spatial dimension. Under the pen of philosophers, the "Enlightenment" refers by metonymy to the European elites open to novelties, a "Republic of Enlightened Letters".

by Anonymousreply 85March 7, 2021 2:18 AM

[quote] Voltaire, Rousseau, Diderot, Beaumarchais , Montesquieu),etc

I suspect the coming generations will NOT be including Mr Blow with them.

by Anonymousreply 86March 7, 2021 2:23 AM

It isn't complicated... Miss Thang is coping badly with who she is. In addition to being a high strung idiot.

by Anonymousreply 87March 7, 2021 2:38 AM

[quote] these cartoons were not made to be consumed by kids,

I beg to disagree.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88March 7, 2021 3:49 AM

Blowhard.

by Anonymousreply 89March 7, 2021 3:50 AM

I was laying in my bed the other morning channel-surfing and came across a Pepe Le Pew cartoon on MeTV. Watching it I immediately thought "Wow, this is probably not going to go over well today." Though I wasn't personally offended by it (I've always loved all of the WB cartoons, including Pepe, and still do), that is what occurred to me.

by Anonymousreply 90March 7, 2021 4:38 AM

Yosemite Sam = White Male Privilege

by Anonymousreply 91March 7, 2021 4:57 AM

They've also taken away Elmer Fudd's shotgun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92March 7, 2021 5:38 AM

This bullshit really keeps people like Blow (and his readers) up at night!

Such embarrassing gibberish even for Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 93March 7, 2021 5:48 AM

Sadly, the Wokeists are rapidly disproving the long-held - and once true - belief that Liberals are better educated and more intelligent...

by Anonymousreply 94March 7, 2021 6:02 AM

[quote]They've also taken away Elmer Fudd's shotgun.

But he's hunting wabbits. Depicting hunting in a cartoon is banned, now?

How can Bugs or Daffy be in any danger from Elmer if he doesn't have a gun?

What is the danger to kids? Can they get shot through the TV screen?

by Anonymousreply 95March 7, 2021 9:06 AM

r82/r85 The Enlightenment is no longer held up as any sort of ideal among many progressives because it represents oppressive Western ideals, an obsession with "reason" at the expense of other "ways of knowing," a conflation of this "reason" with "white and male," epistemic violence, etc etc etc.

by Anonymousreply 96March 7, 2021 10:10 AM

Pepe

Le Pew is now

Assaulted by the same people who did

Nothing to stop the sales of Mein Kampf on eBay but went after

Dr. Seuss instead.

Everything that actually

Makes America great

Is under attack, and it's

Concerning me greatly that this will end in tears. Or worse.

by Anonymousreply 97March 7, 2021 10:12 AM

I remember when this guy first came to the NYT. After looking at the first column of his that I saw I decided that I wasn't going to read him.

by Anonymousreply 98March 7, 2021 10:16 AM

I haven't read this bitch in years. Hysterical, sour prophet of doom.

by Anonymousreply 99March 7, 2021 10:20 AM

R97, are you suggesting that the Theodor Geisel estate is responsible for letting Mein Kampf be sold on eBay? It’s also available on Amazon, as it is a historical text, and the proceeds go to Holocaust survivors.

You seem extremely confused.

by Anonymousreply 100March 7, 2021 11:13 AM

The thought control left is more dangerous that the thought control right right now. Attempts to muzzle popular culture from the right are seen as jokes. But woke control requires 24/7 obedience or you’re finished.

by Anonymousreply 101March 7, 2021 11:24 AM

Mr. Blow has the best BDF in the tri-state. Would love to see him getting it on with Andrew Gillum another self hating man.

by Anonymousreply 102March 7, 2021 11:25 AM

We are NOT going to cancel Pepe Le Pew! This bullshit has officially gone too far.

by Anonymousreply 103March 7, 2021 11:48 AM

People who are excessively into identity politics have no sense of humor. It's a lethal flaw.

by Anonymousreply 104March 7, 2021 12:00 PM

[quote]The thought control left is more dangerous that the thought control right right now.

I totally disagree. The thought control left isn't spreading a massive lie about a stolen election in an attempt to overthrow democracy, disenfranchise millions of voters, and hand this country over to a would-be dictator with a psychotic cult at his beck and call, so I think we still need to keep these things in perspective.

by Anonymousreply 105March 7, 2021 2:31 PM

This is the article that should get him fired and the editor removed. This is just embarrassing. Complaining about a cartoon from a million years ago and blaming rape on it.

by Anonymousreply 106March 7, 2021 2:46 PM

R105, they’re both awful. Both sides need therapy and need to grow the hell up.

by Anonymousreply 107March 7, 2021 2:47 PM

R90, 80 year olds watch MeTV, not kids.

by Anonymousreply 108March 7, 2021 2:48 PM

Who still subscribes to The New York Times? It sold the Iraq war, outing covert agents, stumping for Trump, and now is no better than The New York Post. They hired a white supremacist a few years ago. It’s a joke of a paper.

by Anonymousreply 109March 7, 2021 2:51 PM

You know how much money there is in starting a network that goes totally anti-PC with its programming? Where’s Murdoch when you need him? I’m telling you this is going to swing the other way before long with people sick and tired of hearing this bs. It’s one thing for people to offer a stupid opinion, it’s another when companies actually listen to them and cater to their stupid views. Twitter is not real life but these companies think that it is.

by Anonymousreply 110March 7, 2021 2:54 PM

Mr. Blow has been a delicate sensitive snowflake for a very long time now, leave him alone or he might melt. Shame on you all.

by Anonymousreply 111March 7, 2021 4:19 PM

He has a job for life. Can you imagine the tantrum if the NYT woke up one day and fired her?

by Anonymousreply 112March 7, 2021 5:00 PM

It is time we establish The Land of Woke and banish dumb asses like Blow there.

by Anonymousreply 113March 7, 2021 5:07 PM

Per usual, the female voice is silenced. No one asked Penelope her take on this. A bunch of mostly white gay men criticizing a black gay man about an issue that demands a female voice- typical DL misogyny. A masquerade of "second tier" wokeness - spitting invectives at "woke" opinions, when you're really just demanding wokeness on your own, custom terms -- while cementing the white male patriarchy. Kudos.

You're ALL canceled - Charles Blow, Pepe Le Pew, Datalounge - ALL OF IT!

by Anonymousreply 114March 7, 2021 6:26 PM

I heard they want to ban Fahrenheit 451 next.

by Anonymousreply 115March 7, 2021 6:40 PM

[Quote] Who still subscribes to The New York Times? It sold the Iraq war,

That's when I stopped reading it.

by Anonymousreply 116March 7, 2021 6:47 PM

[quote]A bunch of mostly white gay men criticizing a black gay man

If it was a white, straight man, or a woman, we surely wouldn't be criticizing this at all, right?

by Anonymousreply 117March 7, 2021 7:10 PM

It's a skunk, erroroneouly thinking a cat with an accidental white streak down her bank, is another skunk he is romantically pursuing.

Turning a cartoon kids from 50+ years ago into "woke" and #MeToo targets is rather extreme.

by Anonymousreply 118March 7, 2021 7:28 PM

^back, not bank

by Anonymousreply 119March 7, 2021 7:29 PM

& erroneously, oops^

by Anonymousreply 120March 7, 2021 7:35 PM

Charles Blow is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 121March 7, 2021 7:37 PM

R116, that's when I started seeing the bullshit that is the NYTs. I was going to the many, very well attended anti-war protests in NYC and DC. The NYTs was either not covering them, lied about the attendance numbers or denigrated the protestors, meanwhile doing the evil Saddam bit constantly. Since about 2016 the propaganda and lies are so blatant, it's no longer even interesting.

What amazes me is that so many supposedly educated people read this shit and believe it, believe it all!!!

by Anonymousreply 122March 7, 2021 7:41 PM

[quote] I think culture just officially died as they work to cancel a 75 year old cartoon character.

Who the hell are "they"? ONE writer complained about Pepe Le Pew and most readers disagreed with him. The cartoon's not getting cancelled and nobody but Blow is trying to cancel it, unless by "cancelled," you mean simply that somebody somewhere said something mean about it in public—which pretty much does seem to be the definition that the "omg, cancel culture!" hysterics here are working with.

by Anonymousreply 123March 7, 2021 8:24 PM

It’s sad that the nation’s paper of record publishes such poorly thought out, simplistic crap. I thought NY was supposed to be sophisticated.

by Anonymousreply 124March 7, 2021 8:26 PM

At least intellectuals are slowly coming to a better appreciation of Wile E. Coyote

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125March 7, 2021 9:22 PM

[quote] I totally disagree. The thought control left isn't spreading a massive lie about a stolen election in an attempt to overthrow democracy, disenfranchise millions of voters, and hand this country over to a would-be dictator with a psychotic cult at his beck and call, so I think we still need to keep these things in perspective.

Nah, the thought control left is just insisting that men can be women if they really, really want to be and you’re a bigot for pointing out reality doesn’t work that way.

by Anonymousreply 126March 7, 2021 9:33 PM

Blow eats at a local diner in my neighborhood and is not well thought of by the Mexican wait staff. I overheard one tell the other he is "la pretenciosa" not a compliment.

by Anonymousreply 127March 7, 2021 9:38 PM

Charles Blow is a Karen.

by Anonymousreply 128March 7, 2021 10:15 PM

It is a cartoon but as a young girl I always had a negative visceral reaction to the cartoon as I was moved by by the horror that poor cat was experiencing. For me the discomfort of her far outweighed the humor they were going for.

by Anonymousreply 129March 7, 2021 10:23 PM

[quote]Who the hell are "they"? ONE writer complained about Pepe Le Pew and most readers disagreed with him. The cartoon's not getting cancelled

Don't be so sure, R123:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130March 8, 2021 1:36 AM

[quote]It is a cartoon but as a young girl I always had a negative visceral reaction to the cartoon as I was moved by by the horror that poor cat was experiencing. For me the discomfort of her far outweighed the humor they were going for.

The discomfort is because he's a SKUNK and he stinks

by Anonymousreply 131March 8, 2021 5:03 AM

As a young kid, I thought it was amusing that the cat was going to get buttfucked whether it liked it or not and afterward would be sprayed with skunk stank.

by Anonymousreply 132March 8, 2021 6:01 AM

She seems pressed.

by Anonymousreply 133March 8, 2021 6:31 AM

R132 You were a very astute child with much to much knowledge of the world before your time.

by Anonymousreply 134March 8, 2021 11:34 AM

This idiotic cancel culture needs to stop.

The Looney Tune cartoons are the greatest feats in animation and every character created so very precious.

Pepe Le Pew will long outlive this Charles Blow.

by Anonymousreply 135March 8, 2021 12:20 PM

Pepe is not a rapist, he just doesn't understand why anyone would not want him.

by Anonymousreply 136March 8, 2021 12:23 PM

This QUEEN is digging up ANYTHING to keep himself relevant.

by Anonymousreply 137March 8, 2021 12:42 PM

Do many kids these days even watch the old Looney Toons and Merrie Melodies cartoons from Warner Bros?

by Anonymousreply 138March 8, 2021 3:12 PM

Has anyone yet told Mr. Blow that these are just cartoons?

by Anonymousreply 139March 8, 2021 3:19 PM

R137, please don't tell me Mr. Blow is gay.

by Anonymousreply 140March 8, 2021 3:20 PM

The linked article says the decision to scrub Le Pew was made more than a year ago, not because of Blow's column:

[quote]The news comes one day after it was reported Pepé Le Pew was scrubbed from the upcoming Space Jam 2. And while all that news falls days after a New York Times opinion piece in which the character was said to have "normalized rape culture," the decision to both scrub him from the film and not have him return for TV projects was made more than a year ago. The Times' piece ran in wake of Dr. Seuss Enterprises announcing it would stop publishing six books because of racist and insensitive imagery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141March 8, 2021 6:19 PM

My pussy stinks.

by Anonymousreply 142March 8, 2021 6:21 PM

Chuck Jones or someone says, Hey, here's a funny idea, there's this skunk who thinks he's a great lover, y'know, like a Frenchman, someone like Boyer, only he's a skunk so he stinks. Except a skunk doesn't know he stinks. He thinks he smells fine. So there's this poor cat who gets white paint on her, and he thinks she's a lady skunk. And she can't stand how he smells...cute idea, right?

Now: HE'S RAPEY!

by Anonymousreply 143March 10, 2021 5:54 AM

Pepe sounds like Andrew Cuomo.

by Anonymousreply 144March 10, 2021 5:56 AM

Don’t skunks smell badly to each other? Isn’t that part of the defense, driving off rivals?

by Anonymousreply 145March 10, 2021 5:56 AM

Very soon this period of mass-hysteria will be behind us and when it is, people will look back on this time with jaws agape and palm-to-face embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 146March 10, 2021 10:54 PM

A significant percentage of the generation which grew up watching cartoons like Pepe Le Pew (seventeen cartoons from 1945 to 1962) have demonstrated that they are deeply challenged when it comes to issues of consent.

Pepe Le Pew is far from the only example. Bluto/Brutus from the 'Popeye' franchise is another.

Brutus: "C'mon, babe - give us a kiss."

(grabs Olive Oyl, and starts trying to force a kiss on her. Olive struggles.)

Olive: "You keep your hands to you - that's what you are! Help! Popeye!"

by Anonymousreply 147March 11, 2021 4:26 AM

[quote]I never knew until today that the cat is female. Ever since I was a kid I thought the cat was male. I thought that was the humor of it. If the cat is female, then I don’t get it. Cross-species relationships in a cartoon don’t seem noteworthy.

R80, when Pepe made his debut as a character ('𝑂𝑑𝑜𝑟-𝑎𝑏𝑙𝑒 𝐾𝑖𝑡𝑡𝑦' 1945, as a skunk named Henri), the victim 𝑤𝑎𝑠 a male cat. All of the subsequent cats were female, save for Pepe's cameo appearance in '𝐷𝑜𝑔 𝑃𝑜𝑢𝑛𝑑𝑒𝑑' (1954), when he assaulted Sylvester, who had donned a skunk stripe to scare away the dogs.

by Anonymousreply 148March 11, 2021 4:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!