Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ryan Murphy's 'Pose' Is Ending After 3 Groundbreaking Seasons

The members of the House of Evangelista are set to strut their way into the sunset this spring.

FX on Friday announced that “Pose,” Ryan Murphy’s history-making series set against the backdrop of New York’s ballroom scene of the 1980s and ’90s, will conclude this year. The show’s third season will debut May 2 and consist of seven episodes, with the finale set to air June 6.

Co-creator and executive producer Steven Canals spoke about the “very difficult” decision to end the series in a short video posted to Twitter early Friday.

“This has been an incredible journey and we have told the story that we wanted to tell, the way that we wanted to tell it,” he said. “I, along with my incredible collaborators, never intended on changing the television landscape. I simply wanted to tell an honest story about family, resilience and love.

Murphy, who developed the series with Canals and Brad Falchuk, echoed those sentiments.

“We got to tell the exact story we wanted, as we wanted to tell it, and I’m incredibly honored and grateful,” he said in a tweeted statement.

The news appeared to come as a surprise to many fans.

The road to Season 3 was a rocky one. In April of last year, Canals said he and the “Pose” cast had wrapped filming on the season’s premiere just as the coronavirus pandemic was shutting down much of society ― including the show’s production. By October, production had resumed, as evidenced by a photo posted to Instagram by Janet Mock, one of the show’s writers and directors.

When “Pose” premiered in 2018, it featured television’s largest cast of transgender actors in series regular roles and the largest LGBTQ cast for a scripted series.

The show brought fame to many of its trans performers, including Angelica Ross ― who has since appeared on “American Horror Story” ― and MJ Rodriguez. In 2019, Billy Porter became the first gay Black man to win an Emmy for lead actor in a drama for his portrayal of Pray Tell, a designer and ballroom emcee.

In 2019, Canals told The Hollywood Reporter that he’d pitched “Pose” as a five-season series, but stressed that “it could be more or less.”

“What’s really important for all of us” is to tell the story “that we intended to tell,” he said at the time. “Once we’ve hit that point, we’ll know that it’s time to end it.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 15, 2021 4:32 PM

A reason to live!!! Love this show.

by Anonymousreply 1March 5, 2021 6:41 PM

Ryan Murphy needs to go away for about 10 years.

Re-charge, re-new.

His ideas are stale, and he never sees things all the way through. It's like he has ADHD.

Just focus on ONE project, and do it WELL.

That would be my suggestion.

by Anonymousreply 2March 5, 2021 6:44 PM

Exactly what other stories are there to tell? They copied most of Paris Is Burning for a theme and honestly they can’t bring any of these characters into the 90’s without it becoming embittered, morose or obnoxious.

Almost everyone from PIB is dead.

by Anonymousreply 3March 5, 2021 6:48 PM

I can’t even remember if I watched all of Season 2 or not. Remind me, what happened again?

by Anonymousreply 4March 5, 2021 7:04 PM

I found watching the acting excruciating. Potentially interesting stories - but just really bad overacting.

by Anonymousreply 5March 5, 2021 7:08 PM

I kind of enjoyed the bad overacting. It was part of the fun

by Anonymousreply 6March 5, 2021 7:19 PM

Trans Glam is officially OVAH, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 7March 5, 2021 7:22 PM

[quote] I found watching the acting excruciating. Potentially interesting stories - but just really bad overacting.

I totally agree.

Drag queens are always so over the top.

Especially that Billy whatshisface.

by Anonymousreply 8March 5, 2021 7:32 PM

Already out of ideas

by Anonymousreply 9March 5, 2021 7:38 PM

I liked Elektra's character.

by Anonymousreply 10March 5, 2021 7:39 PM

told her partner to stand up in front of everyone then said she cheated

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 30, 2021 7:38 PM

Mock is a pig.

by Anonymousreply 12April 30, 2021 8:10 PM

Woah, that is one drama outburst by Mock at that press conference. I'd expect that to happen on a Murphy show, but not at a press event for a Murphy show.

by Anonymousreply 13April 30, 2021 8:16 PM

In Janet's tirade she said the first two episodes of the series weren't good because they were written by men. Honey, if those first two had not drawn people in, the damn show would not have been renewed. The first two episodes were fantastic.

As for her asking aloud why is she only being paid 40k per episode, the bigger question is what are the other writers on the show getting paid or, at least, what are the other writers on s3 shows on F/X?

by Anonymousreply 14April 30, 2021 8:25 PM

I love Pose, but I doubt it is a big moneymaker for FX. Plus Mock should blame her manager for negotiating a deal which she deems way too low for her contribution.

by Anonymousreply 15April 30, 2021 8:31 PM

Why is it that we don't have video of this and why is it that all trans actors turn on the cis men that help their shows to be a success?

by Anonymousreply 16April 30, 2021 8:41 PM

Hot tranny mess!

by Anonymousreply 17April 30, 2021 8:44 PM

So Janet Mock cheated on Angel Bismark Curiel. Who himself just a few days ago in an interview said that he didn't even know what trans meant before joining this show and how he hopes that his character and the show would change cis men perceptions on the trans community.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 30, 2021 8:50 PM

With any luck, the majority of these people will vanish - like the Glee folks.

by Anonymousreply 19April 30, 2021 9:12 PM

I had to stop watching early in the 2nd season. The acting was just too painful.

by Anonymousreply 20April 30, 2021 9:22 PM

I love Sandra Bernhard but I couldn't get through an episode

by Anonymousreply 21April 30, 2021 9:47 PM

This isn’t professional behavior. She may not get any further work because she’s disclosing too much back of the house info. Just like Paris Is Burning, no one knew it was going to be a hit or not. Awards or not, the novelty has worn off and the show is overburdened with it’s wokeness. The cast will be seen as brittle and inflexible to being cast, have political leanings and too much polarity for any new projects for them to consider casting them.

by Anonymousreply 22April 30, 2021 10:10 PM

[quote] The cast will be seen as brittle and inflexible to being cast, have political leanings and too much polarity for any new projects for them to consider casting them.

Like any other movie, or TV show some will move on to bigger things, but for most this will be their biggest accomplishment. Blaming "wokeness" and "problematic" political leanings for a common aftermath of any show's cast and crew just highlights your own personal agenda.

by Anonymousreply 23April 30, 2021 10:20 PM

Yet another angry trans person attacking the cis people who helped their show succeed. I wonder how long till that frumpy trans on the Conners turn on Sara Gilbert.

by Anonymousreply 24May 1, 2021 7:41 PM

[quote]Yet another angry trans person attacking the cis people who helped their show succeed. I wonder how long till that frumpy trans on the Conners turn on Sara Gilbert.

Who?

by Anonymousreply 25May 1, 2021 10:17 PM

Alexandra Billings she always comes across as angry and nasty in interviews. That Variety roundtable on trans visibility was kind of a look ahead of what was going to happen eventually with all trans content that aren't exclusively done by trans people, which is stupid since filmmaking is a collaborative effort.

This was warned btw.

by Anonymousreply 26May 2, 2021 4:44 PM

So The Hollywood Reporter has some special issue honoring actresses.

Gillian Anderson, Elizabeth Olsen, Cynthia Erivo, Sarah Paulson, Anya Taylor Joy.......

And MJ Rodriguez

What’s wrong with this picture?

I say something to the affect of 5 out of 6 ain’t bad. And now I’m accused of being transphobic.

First of all, they assume the odd woman out, so that’s interesting.

But yes, seriously, if you think that MJ is in the same acting caliber as Cynthia or Gillian, then you have a fucking hole in your head

by Anonymousreply 27June 2, 2021 9:59 PM

MJ did better work and the show had better writing in Season 2. Nominating her for the travesty that was Season 3 is a joke.

by Anonymousreply 28July 14, 2021 3:28 PM

Yeah she wa nominated for an Emmy yesterday. I feel like I'm in the Emperors New Clothes.

Like, am I the only who has noticed she not a good actress? Brave? Sure. Committed? Totally. Persevering? Absolutely. But not good.

by Anonymousreply 29July 14, 2021 10:40 PM

[quote]Nominating her for the travesty that was Season 3 is a joke.

Yes, but it's not nearly as bad as nominating the show for best writing and best drama.

by Anonymousreply 30July 14, 2021 10:43 PM

I stopped watching when we were asked to believe that Pray would fuck a 20-something man in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 31July 14, 2021 11:17 PM

R30. Oh dear I didn’t know that. WTF

by Anonymousreply 32July 14, 2021 11:18 PM

Disagree about MJ. her material was shitty but she brought something special. Takes talent to imbue a show with heart.

by Anonymousreply 33July 14, 2021 11:19 PM

If anything, I think MJ had a smaller role this season, taking a back seat to Pray Tell and Elektra. Maybe this is the classic makeup (as it were) nom.

by Anonymousreply 34July 15, 2021 4:31 PM

[quote]I feel like I'm in the Emperors New Clothes.

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 35July 15, 2021 4:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!