Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful friends: "Baltimore Art Deco," a DLer of a certain age unloads 1947 house, $239K

It's mint green an the Fiesta Ware is negotiable.

Not my dort of house, but I pass it along because it touches so many buttons of the Let's Be an Antique Mall and other threads. And it is on one level...perfect for caring for mother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74March 4, 2021 1:44 AM

A John Waters production?

by Anonymousreply 1March 3, 2021 7:18 AM

R1, there probably is a dirty old mattress in those woods.

*sort (not dirt)

by Anonymousreply 2March 3, 2021 7:21 AM

I don't know why, but this place creeps me out. Everything about it - from the dimensions, to the details, to the pine tree grove it stands in - suggests a scene in a David Lynch project.

by Anonymousreply 3March 3, 2021 7:27 AM

Definitely a DLer. I see a Keith Haring in there.

Too fabulous to live in.

by Anonymousreply 4March 3, 2021 7:30 AM

We have discussed this house several times in recent years.

by Anonymousreply 5March 3, 2021 7:33 AM

Tear it down. Salt the earth.

I agree it is creepy.

by Anonymousreply 6March 3, 2021 7:34 AM

Somebody loves teapots.Why are there 2 suitcases in one of the bathrooms? How come there are 2 sinks in the kitchen? That wallpaper. Couldn't you have hid the rubbish cans and removed the pink flamingos?

Overall, the outdoor spaces are the most attractive.

by Anonymousreply 7March 3, 2021 7:36 AM

Yes that's definitely a DLer.

I actually think it's very sweet and cute. A lot of work has gone into that house and all the collections and interesting artwork and knickknacks... It's very tidy and a little run down. I'll bet there's a super fancy caftan collection in the wardrobe - maybe some earrings too. Makes me think of John Waters for some reason. Cute plastic flamingos but I expected an out of ground pool. The house is situated on a very pretty leafy block. I don't want to say nasty things about it because the guy is obviously right here on this website. Hope he sells for what he wants and lives a happy life!

by Anonymousreply 8March 3, 2021 7:47 AM

This is horrid!

It hits some odd childhood memories, though. I want it right now. Immediately. Inside me DEEPLY.

by Anonymousreply 9March 3, 2021 7:49 AM

I like the outside but not the inside. Not enough storage and the kitchen isn't very functional. But it's cool.

by Anonymousreply 10March 3, 2021 8:06 AM

Art Deco in 1947, I know Baltimore is backward, but it took decades later for architectural style to reach there?

by Anonymousreply 11March 3, 2021 8:13 AM

Fabulous! Streamline Moderne is my all-time favourite.

by Anonymousreply 12March 3, 2021 8:44 AM

[quote]We have discussed this house several times in recent years.

True, but OP's typo of "dort" for "sort" makes up for it.

by Anonymousreply 13March 3, 2021 8:59 AM

Teapot, teapot, star, teapot, teapot, teapot, Che Guevara, teapot...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 3, 2021 9:00 AM

A house for playing Parcheesi and watching horror movies.

by Anonymousreply 15March 3, 2021 9:08 AM

Oh my! That was painful to look at.

by Anonymousreply 16March 3, 2021 9:22 AM

Not a huge fan of Deco/streamline, but if you look past the clutter it's a fairly unmolested example of that style. I appreciate it for what it is and @ $239K seems like a bargain. I must know what the purpose of the luggage in the bathroom is. What's in those suitcases?

by Anonymousreply 17March 3, 2021 9:24 AM

Note that stains and spills would wipe right off all of the seating.

It looks like suitable end of days housing for the Tracey Ullman character, make-up artist Ruby Romaine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 3, 2021 10:33 AM

It looks like it should have a drive-thru window

by Anonymousreply 19March 3, 2021 10:45 AM

Conky, what's today's Secret Word?

by Anonymousreply 20March 3, 2021 10:50 AM

Looks poorly maintained. The stucco on the roof structure has completely fallen off in a large section and instead of having it re-stuccoed they just painted over the bare bricks, or whatever material that is behind the stucco.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 3, 2021 10:53 AM

I’m just afraid they decluttered for the listing. If it wasn’t for the S.S. cart in the kitchen, I’d say this was used as a hoarder’s storage locker.

by Anonymousreply 22March 3, 2021 10:53 AM

Looks like a 1950s cafeteria.

by Anonymousreply 23March 3, 2021 10:53 AM

I like the streamline exterior, the problem I have with it is the inside looks like Pee Wee's Playhouse. Way too much color, knickknacks and pop art decor. Completely the opposite of the intent of streamline. Back in the day, streamline would be comparable to what we think of now as extreme minimalism.

by Anonymousreply 24March 3, 2021 10:58 AM

Don’t even think of going into the backwoods. There are all these weirdos taking LSD and shouting at each other. And they’re FILMING it !!!

by Anonymousreply 25March 3, 2021 10:59 AM

If you served a Watergate salad in that living room you'd never be able find it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 3, 2021 11:04 AM

Wow! That woke me up.

by Anonymousreply 27March 3, 2021 11:16 AM

Maybe this is Momma’s house. Is there a prison nearby?

by Anonymousreply 28March 3, 2021 11:21 AM

I like all the colours, even if the style isnt my thing at all.

Its quite a nice example of its type, and I can appreciate it for what it is.

And for once the property tax is reasonable, only $256 a month

by Anonymousreply 29March 3, 2021 11:30 AM

Damn, r20. You beat me to it!

by Anonymousreply 30March 3, 2021 11:38 AM

I was obsessed w houses like this when I was a kid. Thank God, my taste has changed.

by Anonymousreply 31March 3, 2021 11:52 AM

The interiors also bother me, though there are pieces here and there that fit with the streamline moderne style. Still, I'd have appreciated an interior that was less Elderly Neighbor With a Bottlecap Collection than this.

Something along these lines, maybe, minus the terrifying spiral staircase.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 3, 2021 11:56 AM

What's with all the cowboy stuff? In Baltimore?

I was born in 1947 and this isn't what my world looked like (thank goodness)!

by Anonymousreply 33March 3, 2021 12:04 PM

I love it and would not change a thing, except to get rid of the train case and suitcases in the bathroom and the bedroom and the multiple images of Che Guevara. The house is small and perhaps the luggage is the owner's way to create some storage space for small items, but I'm not loving it. The house, yes. The decor, sure. Why not? I know it's idiosyncratic, but it's light and good humored.

There are no caftans in that house. Think Lucy Ricardo's wardrobe. Full skirts with crinolines. Pedal pushers. Cat-eye glasses. But no caftans. That's the 70s.

I like the house. I started in the 50's and I might as well end up there, too.

by Anonymousreply 34March 3, 2021 12:15 PM

The ponderosa look was very popular during the westerns phase of TV. It morphed into colonial for the bicentennial and then again during the Little House On The Prairie phase.

It was a conservative alternative to Danish Modern and then Mediterranean with woods ranging from Cherry to Maple and then fizzling out in Pine.

by Anonymousreply 35March 3, 2021 12:19 PM

From some angles, it looks like a restroom in a public park or highway rest area.

by Anonymousreply 36March 3, 2021 12:29 PM

I agree, R36.

by Anonymousreply 37March 3, 2021 12:32 PM

I do, too, R37. And I should know.

by Anonymousreply 38March 3, 2021 12:37 PM

A great example of Streamline Moderne, but I hate the color green. Way too much if it in and outside of the house.

by Anonymousreply 39March 3, 2021 2:06 PM

I like it.

by Anonymousreply 40March 3, 2021 2:54 PM

@r32, That's a very cool house in Chicago. You should do a "Tasteful Friends"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 3, 2021 4:01 PM

[quote] We have discussed this house several times in recent years.

No one cares.

by Anonymousreply 42March 3, 2021 4:02 PM

I like it, but I wouldn't want to live there. Whoever did would wind up playing conservator to its unique properties.

The eclectic choices of its decor, art, knick-knacks, etc, speak to the evolving experiences and character of its owner across the decades. It would have been interesting to have known him.

This music cue played in my head as I looked at the pictures of this property.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 3, 2021 4:06 PM

I like the look, and appreciate the authenticity of all the furnishings and fixtures -- someone is really dedicated to stylistic purity, and I respect that.

However, the extremely cheap and low-quality materials used strike you in every picture. This is a first-little-pig quality house: a deep breath could knock it to pieces, and it'll cost you a fortune to maintain.

by Anonymousreply 44March 3, 2021 4:13 PM

Wouldn’t be bad if it stuck to one theme. Is it South Beach, Southwest or Hollywood? Pick one. Also, paint it one color inside and out to make it seem larger. Also, settle on one kitchen. Why are there two?

by Anonymousreply 45March 3, 2021 4:13 PM

it looks misplaced amongst all those pine trees. it should be in Florida

by Anonymousreply 46March 3, 2021 4:17 PM

Some neon, checkered floors, and a few tables and it will transform into the Max from Saved by the Bell!

by Anonymousreply 47March 3, 2021 4:19 PM

That place should be a. Museum. It’s a perfect period piece. It needs to be decluttered a bit, but the bones of that place look very authentic.

Maybe I’m too much of a city guy, but the setting amongst the trees would freak me out a little.

by Anonymousreply 48March 3, 2021 4:19 PM

I NEED IT! I LOVE IT! Now I only need $239K.

by Anonymousreply 49March 3, 2021 4:42 PM

R5 is right. We did this house when it sold in 2017. Apparently this isn't a house that anyone wants long term. It's only gone up a modest amount since then.

by Anonymousreply 50March 3, 2021 4:45 PM

did a homosexualist live there?

by Anonymousreply 51March 3, 2021 4:57 PM

Amazing. John Waters should use it as a set.

by Anonymousreply 52March 3, 2021 5:02 PM

Not a great location. Very nice enclave surrounded by middling and declining neighborhoods. Not near transit or a lot of shopping. You're carbound and it would be hell if you didn't like the neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 53March 3, 2021 5:03 PM

Kind of reminds me of a sitcom house.

by Anonymousreply 54March 3, 2021 5:07 PM

Leave to house; take the tapestry.

by Anonymousreply 55March 3, 2021 5:28 PM

And there doesn’t seem to be a garage or even a driveway. Seems odd for a house of that age.

by Anonymousreply 56March 3, 2021 5:32 PM

It could use a splash of color.

by Anonymousreply 57March 3, 2021 5:34 PM

R11 A lot of Moderne/Streamline/Deco stuff (or any other style for that matter) imagined or designed before WW II got built after it was over. Building materials were prioritized for the war effort: the majority of housing built during the war was constructed to support industries employing war workers.

by Anonymousreply 58March 3, 2021 5:36 PM

I think it's cute under all that ghastly Pee-Wee's Playhouse high camp.

by Anonymousreply 59March 3, 2021 5:50 PM

Is there a Mary "full of grace" statue that comes with the property? Pit beef sammiches sold on the front lawn?

Since it's Bawlmore, hon!

by Anonymousreply 60March 3, 2021 5:53 PM

Is it Art Deco though? Some of it looks MCM.

by Anonymousreply 61March 3, 2021 6:11 PM

I love it, but the colors are jarring to say the least. There is too much clutter for a moderne style home. People in that era did not have insane amounts of "stuff." The cowboy theme seems more like it would have been in a child's bedroom in the mid to late 50's. The price seems like a steal, but I have no idea what prices are in Baltimore.

by Anonymousreply 62March 3, 2021 6:40 PM

I posted this house a few years ago, rapturously, and everyone told me it looked like a national park men's room.

by Anonymousreply 63March 3, 2021 6:47 PM

It's precious but the owner needs to open a space in an Antique Mall, unload a lot of that stuff, gut the place, and start over with fresh paint and less kitschy décor.

I like much of it, though, but it doesn't need to be a tacky museum piece.

by Anonymousreply 64March 3, 2021 6:52 PM

mecca lecca hi mecca hiney ho

by Anonymousreply 65March 3, 2021 6:53 PM

Looks like Mortville is getting gentrified.

by Anonymousreply 66March 3, 2021 6:57 PM

Is that a Greek diner?

by Anonymousreply 67March 3, 2021 6:59 PM

The wheels are detachable.

by Anonymousreply 68March 3, 2021 7:00 PM

R67 If it were in an area zoned for business, it would make a fabulous kitschy restaurant. I could never spend a night in it.

by Anonymousreply 69March 3, 2021 7:01 PM

Neti pot in the bathroom.

This house, its presentation, tells you way too much about the person who lived there. Seems like the person is someone I might know, but haven't talked to in a couple decades. I do like the Fiesta/Bauer ware mixed with Che Guevara. Seems like someone I might have dropped acid with.

The cost is about what a parking space costs in many cities now.

by Anonymousreply 70March 3, 2021 7:06 PM

Pee-Wee's Playhouse

by Anonymousreply 71March 3, 2021 7:08 PM

[quote] The ponderosa look was very popular during the westerns phase of TV. It morphed into colonial for the bicentennial and then again during the Little House On The Prairie phase.

Whoever owned this house must’ve had a crush on Michael Landon.

by Anonymousreply 72March 3, 2021 7:15 PM

Hideous.

by Anonymousreply 73March 3, 2021 7:18 PM

I would have styled it with a more 1930s-40s vibe. Think cool blue-greys, pale yellow, muted teal and pops of crimson. The couch, light fixtures and curtains are a bit too Googie/space age my liking. The jadeite green is good, however. I appreciate that they haven't renovated the bejesus out of the kitchen. Thank God there is no grey, shiplap, "live-life-love" cookie cutter crap.

by Anonymousreply 74March 4, 2021 1:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!