Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lauryn Hill's 'The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill' Goes Diamond

More than 20 years after its release, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill has reached diamond status.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105October 6, 2022 3:55 AM

Is she still batshit?

by Anonymousreply 1February 18, 2021 1:09 AM

It's a fabulous album, she was going to be a huge star, and then it all evaporated because she's crazy as a shithouse rat. What a shame, she had real talent.

by Anonymousreply 2February 18, 2021 1:10 AM

I still think a team of people wrote that for her. They all sued her after, and she hasn't done a damn thing since.

by Anonymousreply 3February 18, 2021 1:11 AM

Can you imagine having to be a judge and listening to a bunch of rap ding dongs fighting about who wrote what "song" on some stupid album?

by Anonymousreply 4February 18, 2021 1:17 AM

^ Decrepit old ding dong

by Anonymousreply 5February 18, 2021 1:33 AM

I'm surprised its just going Diamond. This album is an R&B & Hip-hop standard.

John Legend was only 19 years old on the piano, and he made the liner notes of the album for "Everything is Everything". Now an EGOT. Culturally major album, birthed careers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 18, 2021 1:36 AM

I love Lauryn but she is so mentally damaged and traumatized like Sinead O'Connor and Fiona Apple. Is Lauryn going to get any therapy? Erykah Badu is crazy too but at least she managed to keep herself together.

by Anonymousreply 7February 18, 2021 1:45 AM

I would say that Badu is more eccentric than crazy. Hill, O'Connor and Apple are genuinely bugfuck crazy. All very talented artists, though.

by Anonymousreply 8February 18, 2021 1:56 AM

She looks GIGANTIC in that pic - like Aretha-big.

by Anonymousreply 9February 18, 2021 1:57 AM

All that crazy didn't stop her from having a ton of kids! She has 6 and is now a grandmother too.

by Anonymousreply 10February 18, 2021 2:03 AM

It's easily one of the best albums of all time. Too bad she went crazy, but she was never going to match that regardless.

by Anonymousreply 11February 18, 2021 2:04 AM

I liked her music. Too bad she went cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

by Anonymousreply 12February 18, 2021 2:13 AM

It's sad she lost her marbles. The album was great and stands the test of time.

by Anonymousreply 13February 18, 2021 2:20 AM

It only went diamond from streams. BFD.

by Anonymousreply 14February 18, 2021 2:22 AM

Great album.

by Anonymousreply 15February 18, 2021 2:32 AM

How did she lose her shit? I know all about Sinead but don't know the story behind Lauryn.

by Anonymousreply 16February 18, 2021 2:36 AM

Doo Wop is one of the best videos ever.

by Anonymousreply 17February 18, 2021 2:57 AM

It has not only held up, but increased in regard over the years. In a lot of "greatest albums of all time" lists it's now in top ten.

What if her unique emotional and mental characteristics had let her put out more than one album? Would she be one of the greatest artists of all time, or is Miseducation so highly regarded because it's literally one-of-a-kind.

by Anonymousreply 18February 18, 2021 3:02 AM

I know it’s an unpopular opinion, but I like her MTV unplugged album as well.

by Anonymousreply 19February 18, 2021 3:03 AM

Where is Gap playlist guy? I vaguely remember “Everything is Everything” being on the Gap playlist summer of 1998, and the denim jacket Lauryn wears in the music video being from the Gap fall 1998 line

by Anonymousreply 20February 18, 2021 3:20 AM

timeless

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 18, 2021 3:29 AM

I miss '90s music. Honestly, most music turned to shit around 2000.

This album has stood the test of time. Her competition that year for Album of the Year was Shania Twain's Come on Over, Garbage's 2.0, Sheryl Crow's The Globe Sessions, and Madonna's Ray of Light.

by Anonymousreply 22February 18, 2021 3:33 AM

The absolute best track from the album. Goosebumps every fucking time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 18, 2021 3:39 AM

This is one of those rare albums like Saturday Night Fever, Michael Jackson's Thriller, George Michael's Faith, The Bodyguard Soundtrack, Jagged Little Pill, etc., that everybody has in their music collection. It doesn't matter what race, age, gender, you are, it's one of those albums that is beloved by so many.

by Anonymousreply 24February 18, 2021 3:45 AM

It really has held up as a timeless album, much more than most releases from that era. I was growing up during the time she put it out and it had such a major impact. I wouldn't say it was quite as culturally relevant as Thriller or Adele's 21, but it has shown far more longevity than either of those albums.

I also remember that, at certain points (when radio was still relevant), they would always randomly play Doo Wop when DJ's heard word that Lauryn Hill was finally going to release her follow up album. This happened a number of times, including in 2007 and then in 2012 and then 2014, where it really did seem like it was finally time for her sophomore release. We're new 23 years removed from her debut and the odds that she will ever put out another album are slim to none at this point. Maybe she'll surprise us, but I highly doubt it.

Maybe it's because she feels she can't top it or because she's difficult to work with and no label wants to sign her. Either way, it's a shame that we never got to hear what else she could have done musically. At least, though, she didn't end up dead like Amy Winehouse. There was an interview that I can't find anymore where Jay-Z had said he hoped that Amy wouldn't end up like Lauryn. Amy would still be alive if she had.

by Anonymousreply 25February 18, 2021 3:57 AM

I don't have it. I never liked her. I thought the best album of 98 was Rufus Wainwright's debut, followed by Ray of Light, Feeling Strangely Fine by Semisonic, and This Euphoria by David Garza.

by Anonymousreply 26February 18, 2021 4:20 AM

I loved it. She's not anymore batshit than Axl Rose or any of the many other woman beaters in music.

by Anonymousreply 27February 18, 2021 4:30 AM

Rufus Wainwright's "singing" sounds like a tone deaf cat. I can't bear to listen to him.

by Anonymousreply 28February 18, 2021 4:56 AM

I really loved that neo-soul period in the second half of the 90s. Lauryn Hill, Erykah Badu, Maxwell, Jill Scott and others. It was fabulous "adult" music. And then it was all blown away by teen pop and shitty hip hop acts. It was a damn shame.

by Anonymousreply 29February 18, 2021 4:59 AM

R7----I have always thought LH and SO'C had similar career trajectories and life stories. Both: beautiful and great singers, hit it big very young, reacted badly to huge fame, weirdly obsessed with religion, many kids, downward slide to mental illness and never reached their former creative peaks or financial success.

" I wouldn't say it was quite as culturally relevant as Thriller or Adele's 21" <---white person talking

TMoLH was culturally relevant to people of color, you just don't know.

by Anonymousreply 30February 18, 2021 5:13 AM

r30 Donna Summer was kind of the same, minus the mental illness. She was very uncomfortable with the huge fame she achieved in the 70s and kind of withdrew from the spotlight as a result. She also had the crazy Jesus stuff going on, too. Although she continued to record and tour she had a lower profile and never attained her previous success.

by Anonymousreply 31February 18, 2021 5:18 AM

I'm old enough to remember "Thriller" and Michael Jackson at the height of his 80s fame, and I can't think of any other album that had that kind of impact on the public. And I'm saying this as a person who was only a casual fan of MJ, I was never crazy about him.

by Anonymousreply 32February 18, 2021 5:19 AM

[quote] I'm old enough to remember "Thriller" and Michael Jackson at the height of his 80s fame, and I can't think of any other album that had that kind of impact on the public.

The last album I remember ever having that type of impact was "The Bodyguard" soundtrack.

by Anonymousreply 33February 18, 2021 5:20 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 34February 18, 2021 5:21 AM

Thriller was a little bigger than the Bodyguard.

by Anonymousreply 35February 18, 2021 5:30 AM

r33 the 90s was definitely the last time a single album could be universal i.e. everybody and their mother had it and it was ubiquitous in the culture. No album in the 21st century has done that because everything became so fragmented. I guess Adele came close with 21.

by Anonymousreply 36February 18, 2021 5:32 AM

Music is very identity based now. Our lack of unity will not allow us to agree like we use to, everyone has become caricatures on steroids.

by Anonymousreply 37February 18, 2021 5:53 AM

She has done nothing after that album. She went full loving-jesus and stop working. Even went to jail for taxevasion for a while.

by Anonymousreply 38February 18, 2021 5:55 AM

When Beyoncé dropped her Lemonade album I could not help but compare to TMOLH, Mama's Gun by Erykah, The Velvet Rope by Janet and that film Daughters of the Dust by Julie Dash. Yet it got a ton of praise from the press as revolutionary but it showed me how derivative people can get embellished by the media as being creative and groundbreaking when they aren't and that people will foolishly believe it.

by Anonymousreply 39February 18, 2021 1:32 PM

Here is Rah Digga telling how Lauryn needed encouragement to even sing a hook on a rap track, she was not confident in it at first. Rah Digga ended up on The Score album and didn't make a dime, despite the album going Diamond. The single she was on had a Kenny Rogers sample that ate up most of the money the song made.

They weren't expecting the huge response the music got. I dont think Lauryn was really prepared for the fame and to be the star of the group, and it landed on her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 18, 2021 3:25 PM

R29: yeah I miss that whole neo-soul movement in the 90s. That and alternative rock was the last time music was good.

by Anonymousreply 41February 18, 2021 3:34 PM

Baby One More Time was another phenomenon.

by Anonymousreply 42February 18, 2021 3:51 PM

I used to love Miseducation, but I recently heard it and felt it didn't hold up to time.

Maybe because I knew every track so well,

Sad that she couldn't follow this up with anything great

by Anonymousreply 43February 18, 2021 4:27 PM

Ex-Factor is a brilliant song.

by Anonymousreply 44February 18, 2021 5:39 PM

Some of these mentally disrupted entertainers should have studied the fabulous Sade to see how to handle fame and fortune.

Record it, get out there and publicize it, tour with it and then go home and live your life. Done and done.

I was watching the young and beautiful Lauren in that Sister Act movie the other day and remembered thinking back then that she was going to be big and fabulous for a long time. Just goes to show you how wrong you can be about things.

by Anonymousreply 45February 18, 2021 6:32 PM

True, r45. And Sade was immensely famous, too. Even at the A-List superstar level it's possible.

by Anonymousreply 46February 18, 2021 7:25 PM

Even though I'm in my 20s, I really do feel that the 90s was the last real decade where musicianship really mattered in the mainstream. There has been small revivals like the post-punk movement, PC music and the DIY singer-songwriter boom. But too many mainstream artists have become famous for their personality and "relatabality" (Billie, Cardi, Shawn, etc) rather than actually being extremely talented and offering something new to the table. The music industry doesn't invest in artists anymore. Even the most creative person still needs money and time to work on their project. Bedroom music will never replicate the quality of a professional studio and having the funds. And it doesn't help that the manufactured pop tarts who would not have lasted past year 2 or 3 still stick around way past their sell-by date (like Bieber, Selena, Katy etc). This is why made it a point to myself to actually buy the music and merchandise from the artists I enjoy. Streaming doesn't pay their bills.

by Anonymousreply 47February 18, 2021 9:27 PM

Needs to make a follow titled the “The Miseducation of Trumpers”

by Anonymousreply 48February 18, 2021 9:31 PM

R20, I don't get Alerts when threads are started with GAP-adjacent subject matter.

"Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" is on the September 1998 Gap In-Store Playlist.

"Every Ghetto, Every City" is on the October 1998 Gap In-Store Playlist.

Lauryn Hill also wrote and sings on "A Rose Is Still A Rose" for Aretha Franklin, which is on both the March 1998 and May 1998 Gap In-Store Playlists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49February 18, 2021 9:39 PM

"Everything Is Everything" is on the January 1999 Gap In-Store Playlist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50February 18, 2021 9:40 PM

Oh fuck off you fucking GAP freak.

by Anonymousreply 51February 18, 2021 10:34 PM

[quote] I miss that whole neo-soul movement in the 90s. That and alternative rock was the last time music was good.

This is true. I grew up in the '90s and both genres define me to this day. Neo-soul and alternative rock lasted until the early 2000s and it really was the last time music was good. The industry has been on constant decline since. I loved so many acts from both genres, but also the fashion and general culture. On any particular weekend, we would be spoilt for choice for concerts.

Neo-soul: Lauryn Hill; Fugees; Wyclef Jean; D'Angelo; Erykah Badu; Jill Scott; Musiq Soulchild; Anthony Hamilton; Jaguar Wright; The Roots; Lina; India Arie; Raphael Saadiq; Maxwell; Floetry; De La Soul; Angie Stone; Dwele; Goapele; Kindred the Family Soul; Mos Def; Macy Gray; Ledisi; Meshell Ndegeocello; Common; Sunshine Anderson; Eric Bennet ...

Alternative Rock: Smashing Pumpkins; Dave Matthews Band; Alanis Morissette; Sophie B. Hawkins; Blessed Union of Soul; Third Eye Blind; Wallflowers; New Radicals; Lisa Loeb; Toad and the Wet Sprocket; Jimmy Eat World; Liz Phair; Weezer; R.E.M.; Nirvirna; Sublime; Hootie and the Blowfish; Teenage Fanclub; Garbage; Matchbox 20; Blues Traveller; Fastball; Spin Doctors; Meredith Brooks; Pearl Jam; Green Day; Smashmouth; Red Hot Chilli Peppers ...

And even their collaborations were dope. One of my favourites was by Teenage Fanclub and De La Soul.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52February 19, 2021 3:28 AM

She did another good album after that but it included lots of talking between songs. I got so sick of her “I have so much important stuff to say!” that I created a tape of the album without all talking.

by Anonymousreply 53February 19, 2021 3:30 AM

I remember when she was a cast member on "As The World Turns"!

by Anonymousreply 54February 19, 2021 3:37 AM

I can’t believe how much pop music regressed one year later with tacky Britney/Backstreet Boys trash

Britney gays are fucking airhead basic bitches. No taste.

by Anonymousreply 55February 19, 2021 3:46 AM

Lauren reminds me of a homeless woman I used to see by the subway entrance. She wore only a garbage bag and smelled like shit. How do you even begin to help someone like that?

by Anonymousreply 56February 19, 2021 3:50 AM

Amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57February 19, 2021 3:52 AM

I agree 100% r55. The teen pop shit ruined music. And gays who were into Britney/NSync and all that shit were basic trash. And now those same basic bitch gays are 40 year-olds who love Ariana. It's pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 58February 19, 2021 4:01 AM

worships Britney.

by Anonymousreply 59February 19, 2021 10:34 AM

Most gay guys I know aren't into Britney though. Beyoncé, Ariana, Nicki, Lana and Gaga yes. But Britney isn't that relevant.

But Britney is more of a late millennial/Y2K/TRL icon. People who were kids of that era are the ones nostalgic for Britney, Spice Girls, BSB, NSYNC just like they are for AOL, Gameboy, Nickelodeon and Pokémon.

by Anonymousreply 60February 19, 2021 11:36 AM

Music is cheap to make now. Companies can go online, find a pretty face or someone with acceptably controversial opinions, have a hired team of writers craft an album for them, buy followers and make sure they trend. Rinse and repeat every 5 years. Music is completely run by men in suits and, not by creativity or spontaneity.

by Anonymousreply 61February 19, 2021 12:00 PM

The reality is she had ONE studio album. That is super suspect and weird... feels like the music equivalent to Ben and Matt’s ONE screenplay which won them an Oscar. One hit wonders like like this that achieve commercial and critical success are bizarre. Why couldn’t Lauryn follow up with another album? Say what you want about Sinéad, Eryka, and Fiona, but they have a rich discography.

by Anonymousreply 62February 19, 2021 12:02 PM

My very favorite thing by Lauryn Hill, though, is with the Fugees on the LOVE JONES soundtrack, "The Sweetest Thing," which is on the May 1997 Gap In-Store Playlist.

LOVE that song!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63February 19, 2021 12:27 PM

r62 if you count The Score with the Fugees, that's two critically acclaimed hit albums.

Im actually glad she exited at the peak. Alicia Keys came in right after. Neo-soul and R&B as a whole fell out of the mainstream a few years later. Her follow-up album probably would not have gotten the attention it deserved. If you watch her speak at r62, its clear that she was not made for the fickle music industry at all. She has an activist mind, but just happens to be very talented at singing and rapping.

by Anonymousreply 64February 19, 2021 1:49 PM

How does she feed herself? The residuals can't be that much

by Anonymousreply 65February 19, 2021 6:57 PM

Lauryn still gets booked for shows despite not showing up for half of them

by Anonymousreply 66February 19, 2021 7:01 PM

Lauryn Hill is easily one of the best rappers in history, male or female. She had a great flow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67February 20, 2021 9:49 AM

I remember Lauryn winning AOTY at the Grammys. Crackney Houston, high as a fucking kite, was a presenter along with the pretentious cunt Sting. Houston did some kind of cracked out dance when they opened the envelope to reveal Hill as the winner.

by Anonymousreply 68February 20, 2021 11:24 AM

So how did Lauryn go off the deep end?

by Anonymousreply 69February 20, 2021 3:06 PM

[quote]Rah Digga ended up on The Score album and didn't make a dime, despite the album going Diamond. The single she was on had a Kenny Rogers sample that ate up most of the money the song made.

This one r40? The track or the part Pras sings? It's my favourite Fugees video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70February 20, 2021 3:21 PM

Probably the best cover ever of 'Can't Take My Eyes Off of You'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71February 20, 2021 3:29 PM

I always figured the "she went batshit crazy" was the usual misogynistic dribble assigned to difficult women. She was just notoriously difficult, correct? Didn't show up to shows or left halfway through when technicalities weren't up to her standards?

by Anonymousreply 72February 20, 2021 3:52 PM

Here is a really good Rolling Stone article from 2003 about Lauryn by Toure. Lots of tea.

Lauyn's whole solo career was pretty much birthed because of her beef with Wyclef. Apparently she was his sidepiece and he was controlling. Her relationship with Rohan Marley was a get back at him and so was her solo album. After that she pretty much burnt out. I dont think she had ambition beyond getting back at Wyclef, so she surely wasnt going to put up with the tedious and fickle industry after that. She also got brainwashed by some religious cult leader. Rohan got her pregant every other year and she didn't have time to anything really but deal with her kids after that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73February 20, 2021 4:26 PM

I have never heard one song on this album and had no interest when it came out. I was 21 too!

Still don't.

And that is fucking weird to me.

One day I am going to have a glass of wine and listen to it.

by Anonymousreply 74February 20, 2021 4:30 PM

No r72 she was certifiable.

by Anonymousreply 75February 20, 2021 4:33 PM

Movie roles turned down by Lauryn Hill from 1998-2003!

Beloved Charlie's Angels The Bourne Identity The Mexican The Matrix Reloaded The Matrix Revolutions

by Anonymousreply 76February 20, 2021 4:36 PM

She could've had a superstar career, what a shame her mental illness and relationship issues had to interfere. It's unfortunate because she wasn't just some no-talent who got lucky for awhile like Katy Perry or Bieber, she had genuine bonafide talent.

by Anonymousreply 77February 20, 2021 4:41 PM

Just catching up on this thread now. I can't imagine what a 'storm in a teacup' life she was living in the years after the Fugees hit big. She was the clear star of the group (their biggest hit is her singing solo with Wyclef trying to get attention in the background) and that obviously caused tensions in the group, she was getting booked by legendary artists such as Aretha to write and produce for them while still trying to pursue her own music, dealing with record label vultures, navigating film offers and magazine/media appearances, and suddenly pregnant by one of the Marley family.... all this while she was still a teenager? No wonder she wanted to get out and eventually lost her marbles a bit.

The album is brilliant and holds up tremendously. The fusion of her modern hip hop perspective with different styles such as reggae, gospel, jazz, spoken word, R&B, funk, rap, and lush classical soul music was quite groundbreaking at the time. It's like a beautiful trip through black creativity. With real musicianship and instrumentation (a concept long dead and buried today) and soaring vocals. I remember being young and listening to the radio and hearing her sing about her record label trying to force her into an abortion ("look at your career", they said, "Lauryn baby use your head"). Simply no other young star was sharing honest lyrics like this in mainstream music, in a way both street kids and coffeehouse poets could relate to. '21' and 'Songs in A Minor' could never.

In hindsight, it's a huge shame the neo soul era was so short-lived. I was a young (black) bohemian teenager and it felt like there was finally a scene that represented me. 3-4 years later it was pretty much gone. What I would give to hear real instruments, great musicians, and deep lyrics again. Even their modern day equivalents, who I like, make all their music on Ableton and rely on samples and Melodyne (autotune). The UNPLUGGED album has even better wordplay, and I still hope one day she will return like D'Angelo did with Black Messiah, perhaps when we least expect it. That voice is much missed. She always radiated natural talent:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78April 26, 2021 2:44 PM

RnB doesn’t count

by Anonymousreply 79April 26, 2021 2:52 PM

But what about Car Wheels on a Gravel Road by Lucinda Williams? Not a bad track on the album.

by Anonymousreply 80April 26, 2021 2:56 PM

R80 West is my fave

by Anonymousreply 81April 26, 2021 3:02 PM

You have to be batshit crazy to be jailed for tax evasion. This not only hints at not having the right advisors and handlers but also an inability to understand basic premises and sensibilities.

by Anonymousreply 82April 26, 2021 4:05 PM

Some people in this thread said she went or was allegedly crazy? And if so, how did that contribute to the downfall to her being popular?

by Anonymousreply 83April 26, 2021 5:07 PM

Personal opinion: TMOLH hasn’t held up. She’s only considered a legend over Badu or Scott cause she didn’t release much more. Everyone imagines she would have made more great music, but we don’t know that.

by Anonymousreply 84April 26, 2021 5:24 PM

R3 I agree with you even though I don't want to. She's done almost nothing since 'The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill.' Nothing. During the course of what sadly wound up being his rather short life, Donny Hathaway did more while living with schizophrenia for goodness sakes. Something's up.

I adored that album because that's what it is, a full on album one can enjoy from start to finish. Of course it would have gone Diamond.

by Anonymousreply 85April 26, 2021 5:37 PM

She was physically abusive towards her children, seemingly in part because she let Rohan treat her even worse than Wyclef ever did and had residual anger about it. I think people forget how young she was when the Fugees first came out. She clearly was not prepared for fame and like so many other female performers allowed shitty men to run roughshod over her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86April 26, 2021 5:51 PM

Fun fact that I never see mentioned anywhere, ever: The Fugees got their start as a third generation Kool & The Gang project.

by Anonymousreply 87April 26, 2021 6:37 PM

r84 the ALBUM totally holds up. You play the songs from Miseducation at a cookout and everyone still knows all the words to these songs over 20 years later. Lauryn Hill being regarded as a legend in her own right might be up for debate, but the album itself is a legendary piece of music, especially for black music.

It seems like now people never separate the artist from the work created. These blockbuster albums are a product of sometimes huge teams of people working together, Miseducation is a great example. There were a lot of hands in the making of the product and they rightfully got their due. Its like people debating Michael Jackson's musical legacy because of his crazy personal life. Michael Jackson's music and artistry was the work of many exceptionally brilliant people merging themselves with his talent to make his music what is was.

by Anonymousreply 88April 26, 2021 6:46 PM

R88. I understand the distinction, obviously there are a team of musicians and engineers. People always want to credit the singer, but frequently the producer really creates the music. I liked it when it came out, it was very popular. She was undeniably talented. Well have to agree to disagree. Music is subjective, and also bound very strongly to nostalgia. There’s no right answer.

by Anonymousreply 89April 26, 2021 8:32 PM

All you writing her off because "she never released another album" are reaching.

I get the feeling she never wanted to go through the recording and marketing process again, but I don't buy the idea that she couldn't come up with new material if she wanted to. She's done covers of other songs you can find on YouTube and she's so effortlessly musical even on material that's not from "Miseducation".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90April 26, 2021 9:39 PM

It's an enjoyable pleasant well-made record but I don't know where you all are getting the idea that it's "brilliant," "one of the best albums of all time," etc. It really isn't. Even among her peers - I think "Mama's Gun" from Erykah Badu shows a lot more range. (It's also not as striking as the really good Fugees record, the name of which I've now forgotten.)

by Anonymousreply 91April 26, 2021 10:36 PM

It went Diamond - so now maybe the crazy bitch can pay her taxes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92April 26, 2021 10:54 PM

r91 I have a great appreciation for Erykah's work as well, as a young gayling in the 90s I connected more with Erykah because she was just different and her music was more sensual and sexual.

I think more people related to Lauryn Hill however, the messages in her album were more accessible. It was the 90s, a simpler time, and this was the first time people heard true original soul music in years. So you have to think about that too. All these people like Jill Scott and D'Angelo and Maxwell all made the neo-soul movement era possible.

by Anonymousreply 93April 26, 2021 11:00 PM

What happened to Jill Scott?

by Anonymousreply 94April 29, 2021 12:46 PM

yasssss

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95September 27, 2021 4:03 AM

R94 I don’t know.

Rappers and R&B singers had very decadent recording careers in that it was the 90’s and 00’s and labels had money to blow. They would take 2-3 years making an album and were spending all that time in a recording studio.

I remember Madonna complaining about Justin, Pharrell, and Timbaland while recording “Hard Candy” because some days wouldn’t be productive. Madonna used a recording studio to record whereas Pharrell and Timbaland and Justin are used to spending 10k to wait for creativity to come or whatever.

So a lot of artists from that era fell off when there was no money to spend and didn’t adapt to the newer times where you’ve got younger artists recording music in their bedroom and using closets to record vocals and shit.

I remember TLC did a GoFundMe for their last album and raised like $2 million and when they took too long they were like oh! It takes time and money to get producers and writers and etc. And it’s like no it doesn’t! They could have recorded 3 albums on $2 million. But they’re old school and don’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 96September 27, 2021 4:12 AM

R85 “YOU DID NOTHING!” 😂

by Anonymousreply 97September 27, 2021 4:25 AM

The Sex Pistols only made one great album too but people don't seem to hold that against them. At least Lauren is attached to two great albums--The Score and her own solo debut.

by Anonymousreply 98October 6, 2022 3:03 AM

Lauryn Hill, overrated! 🤮🖕💩

by Anonymousreply 99October 6, 2022 3:10 AM

Great album. I remember I worked with a woman who hated LH because she said she stole the entire album.

by Anonymousreply 100October 6, 2022 3:15 AM

Fantastic album…and then nothing.

What a waste

by Anonymousreply 101October 6, 2022 3:18 AM

R100, that woman wasn't enitrely off base.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102October 6, 2022 3:19 AM

How could a woman who plays no instruments compose an entire album?

by Anonymousreply 103October 6, 2022 3:33 AM

Didn't they want her for one of Charlie's Angels (2000) ?

She was already having a mental breakdown, so Thandie Newton got the part. She was still busy shooting Mission Impossible 2 that got delayed, so Lucy Liu was casted. I actually would have loved to see Lauryn Hill act with Drew Barrymore and Cameron Diaz.

by Anonymousreply 104October 6, 2022 3:44 AM

R102, probably why she was a one hit wonder.

by Anonymousreply 105October 6, 2022 3:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!