Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's talk Lara Fabian.

She sounds like a less annoying Céline Dion.

She was born in Belgium, grew up in Sicily, moved to Canada and is fluent in French, Italian, Spanish and English and she sings in all those languages plus Russian, German and Flemish.

Her spoken English is remarkably little accented compared, for example, to Céline Dion's.

She's reportedly a superstar in Canada and in Europe, but as an American, the only song of hers I had ever heard is "I Will Love Again."

I suspect she's not as well known here because she is multilingual and the US rejects anything that isn't English or (to a small degree) Spanish.

Who's a fan? I feel like I need to get into her music because of her incredible voice and vocal performance, but the songs I have heard so far all have pretty simple lyrics that typically don't engage me for long.

Is any of her music lyrically interesting, beyond lost love, etc.?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 15, 2021 9:18 PM

Never cared enough to listen to a full album or anything, but this was my jam on the dance floor in the late 90s. I'd run across the bar and not spill a drop of my blue curaçao sour.

by Anonymousreply 1February 17, 2021 1:27 PM

I swear I haven't had a BCS today...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 17, 2021 1:28 PM

You forgot to mention her French part. It is in France that she will literally explode with her songs "Tout" (All) and "Je t'aime" (I love you). And she was married to a Frenchman and she lived for years in France. Her daughter is half French. She even was a jury member for The Voice France last year. She's a big star in Eastern Europe, and Asia.

by Anonymousreply 3February 17, 2021 1:28 PM

My fav Lara Fabian song

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 17, 2021 1:30 PM

Frau music alert!

by Anonymousreply 5February 17, 2021 1:57 PM

she is excellent when she picks up the songs of other singers too. Here she sings a classic standard of French song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 17, 2021 1:58 PM

Talented but she has insipid taste. Very popular style.

by Anonymousreply 7February 17, 2021 2:09 PM

Celine and Lara are very different. Lara Fabian is not just a singer she writes her own songs. Céline uses songwriters. Lara did not have a René who managed her. I love Céline anyway. And besides, one of Céline's most famous songs is "Pour que tu m'aimes encore", written by a French songwriter in 1995 and which is until today a real hit in several countries. Again America was not receptive at the time, because when Americans don(t understand the lyrics they ignore the songs . The rest of the world, fortunately, doesn't work like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 17, 2021 2:27 PM

R8 I kind of love Céline because she is bonkers and so good humored. I like one of her songs at a time. More than that is just too much bland drama for me.

I didn't mention a lot about Lara's French associations, R3, because I don't know much about her. I just watched a couple of her live performances on YouTube and was really impressed and then I watched a few interviews and picked up some of her background and her personality.

She did say one odd thing that I chose not to read too much into because she said it a long time ago, and "conservative" may have different meanings in different places. She said she chose to move to North America because "you be conservative and you can have values, but at the same time, you can look ahead and believing in yourself is not a problem." I'm hoping she doesn't own a MAGA hat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 17, 2021 4:47 PM

R9 Nah honestly I don't think she owns a VIAGA hat at all. Not her type. She a big advocate for gay rights for about 25 years now, she is more a liberral than a conservative. She comes from an Italian family and she's very closed to them. But Italians are very conservative, so maybe she was thinking about that?

by Anonymousreply 10February 17, 2021 6:42 PM

^liberal

by Anonymousreply 11February 17, 2021 6:47 PM

She was popular in the 90's in Spain and her spanish version of I will love again was a huge hit (she was popular in Portugal too).

Like Celine she started her career in Eurovision, in fact she competed the same year Celine won (she ended 4th and competed for Luxembourgh

)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 17, 2021 6:52 PM

Céline was already well known in Quebec and France before Eurovision. In France she was invited on the French tv when she was only14 yo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 17, 2021 7:00 PM

She's very pretty, too. I think I am a fan. Or at least I'll listen to more stuff. Her voice is phenomenal.

by Anonymousreply 14February 17, 2021 8:11 PM

And she lived like 10 years in France. Her daughter is French tho. As always, Dlers know nothing. I remember when she was dating a French singer who has a stunning voice. His name is Patrick Fiori. He was part of the musical French band of Notre Dame de Paris, from the book of Victor Hugo. You can see the young Lara at the end of the show in Monaco.

Yes, Albert was there without Charlene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 15, 2021 8:53 PM

^Oh her exe his the last singer from the this trio

by Anonymousreply 16November 15, 2021 8:54 PM

Among all the reactions on Youtube, this one is my favorite of all. This woman has got the song all figured out. Her emotion touched me to the core. Her tears too. She FELT and LIVED Lara Fabian performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 15, 2021 9:01 PM

And I loved this woman reaction. She is also real

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 15, 2021 9:03 PM

And of course this guy, my fav!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 15, 2021 9:05 PM

She is a thousand times better than Mariah, sorry

by Anonymousreply 20November 15, 2021 9:13 PM

I like her and Anastasia too. Don't hear Anastasia on the radio. She and Cyndi Lauper did a commercial for Dr. Pepper a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 21November 15, 2021 9:15 PM

R21 Oh Anastasia was so good!!! And she was a nice woman too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 15, 2021 9:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!