Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What scared you as a kid?

My family went on a vacation to Niagara Falls when I was 8 and I read about its history. I had nightmares for a long time about going over the Falls in a barrel.

by Anonymousreply 56February 17, 2021 11:08 AM

Tornados even though I live just north of NYC and we RARELY had tornados.

by Anonymousreply 1February 16, 2021 12:18 PM

Growing up.

by Anonymousreply 2February 16, 2021 12:19 PM

Two characters from the movies scared me. The WICKED WITCH of WEST from the Wizard Of Oz and the CHILD CATCHER from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

by Anonymousreply 3February 16, 2021 12:19 PM

everything

by Anonymousreply 4February 16, 2021 12:22 PM

R3 yes! I was going to say the Child Catcher. Instead I chose to be cool with my r2.

by Anonymousreply 5February 16, 2021 12:24 PM

This

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 16, 2021 12:27 PM

Old people.

by Anonymousreply 7February 16, 2021 12:40 PM

The threat of nuclear war

by Anonymousreply 8February 16, 2021 12:57 PM

The episode where they shot JR in Dallas.

An episode of Charlie’s Angel where a murderer stangles women with dolls.

by Anonymousreply 9February 16, 2021 12:59 PM

Michael Myers, the ocean (specifically sharks in the ocean, I was OK with lakes), bridges (which I am still a little iffy), and heights in general (which still bother me).

I watch those YouTube drone videos of mountains and just become really uncomfortable (when I know I am sitting at home). Years ago, when I went to the Sears Tower, it took me a solid 15 minutes to edge up to the glass to take in the view.

by Anonymousreply 10February 16, 2021 1:03 PM

I read a book about extinct animals, and one of them was a pterodactyl. It showed a sketch of how big it would be in the context of a farm or city of today.

The book also stated that you never know boys and girls, sometimes we find out an animal is not extinct at all!

I was convinced flying dinosaurs were lurking in the trees ready to snatch me and my pets and fly us away screaming to their nests.

by Anonymousreply 11February 16, 2021 1:26 PM

I read a story in one of my mother’s magazines about a kid sleeping in a barn on a summer night with some friends. He was completely covered by the sleeping bag except for his thumb. A bat bit him there and he got rabies. I tried to sleep under all of the covers for ages afterwards

by Anonymousreply 12February 16, 2021 1:32 PM

The Oompa Loompas

and that was even before one became President of the United States.

by Anonymousreply 13February 16, 2021 1:39 PM

That thought of Grammar Nazi watching my every move.

by Anonymousreply 14February 16, 2021 1:41 PM

LOL @ R14. The threat is real!

by Anonymousreply 15February 16, 2021 1:43 PM

When I was around 8 years old, I turned on the tv looking for cartoons and instead saw the opening scene to Macbeth, 1948 Orson Wells version. Scared the shit out of me for years. I was with a playmate and we both just stood there paralyzed with fear. I saw it in my nightmares for years. Watch the first minute and you'll see what I men.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 16, 2021 1:57 PM

^mean

by Anonymousreply 17February 16, 2021 2:01 PM

My father

by Anonymousreply 18February 16, 2021 2:22 PM

[quote] and heights in general (which still bother me). I watch those YouTube drone videos of mountains and just become really uncomfortable (when I know I am sitting at home).

I know exactly how you feel. I’m the exact same way. Ironically, though, as a kid I LOVED heights.

Now I don’t even like being as tall as I am.

by Anonymousreply 19February 16, 2021 3:00 PM

Quicksand! The threat was real and imminent, if children's television of the time were to be believed.

by Anonymousreply 20February 16, 2021 3:03 PM

Nuclear war - I grew up in the 60s and 70s.

Volcanoes

My mother

by Anonymousreply 21February 16, 2021 3:04 PM

I was deathly afraid of opening my eyes underwater. In particular, I was terrified of the black lane lines. Like, petrified. Something about the way they squiggled and moved above water, yet were completely static and foreboding underwater, unnerved me beyond belief.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 16, 2021 3:08 PM

Social Media

by Anonymousreply 23February 16, 2021 3:17 PM

Wow, r22. That’s actually fascinating.

I’m also glad you posted a pic because I couldn’t figure out what you meant by black lane lines.

That’s cool.

by Anonymousreply 24February 16, 2021 3:25 PM

Went to the Lincoln Memorial when I was 7 yo. Abe gave me nightmares for months.

by Anonymousreply 25February 16, 2021 3:28 PM

I wasn't fond of the drain either r24 ...

by Anonymousreply 26February 16, 2021 3:28 PM

Drains creeped me out too!!

by Anonymousreply 27February 16, 2021 3:30 PM

R1 in 1967 in the 4th grade my family moved from Cleveland to Kansas City. The 1st spring here was terrifying, esp the sound of the sirens going off! And the big nearby Topeka tornado had just happened a year early with eerie black and white footage of it! Yikes it scared me!

by Anonymousreply 28February 16, 2021 3:32 PM

R25, sounds like megalophobia, fear of large objects, including statues. I had the same thing when I was younger & still have to some degree. Large statues, exhibits, would scare me. Went to The House on the Rock when I was a kid and the room with the life-sized whale sculpture freaked me the fuck out. It's three stories tall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 16, 2021 5:54 PM

Speaking of The House on the Rock, I was also scared of their animatronic circus orchestra, which was absolutely bonkers. Related to that, I went to a birthday party at Showbiz Pizza and was terrified of the Rock-A-Fire Explosion band. I remember the curtain opening, all the kids ran up in front of the stage and started dancing, while I hid under a table.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 16, 2021 6:01 PM

r6, that's not the same trailer from that film that terrified me. This was it (Rosie O'Donnell once mentioned how terrifying it was on her old show.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 16, 2021 6:10 PM

Old men with nose hair.

by Anonymousreply 32February 16, 2021 6:20 PM

Rosie O'Donnell with nose hair.

by Anonymousreply 33February 16, 2021 6:38 PM

Plushy suited characters in / outside of amusement parks - ie., The Magic Mountain Trolls, the plushy Hanna Barbera characters outside of Marineland, Disneyland characters where you can't see their face.

Heights, and especially combined with a see-thru or grid floor - or stairs with stone or iron grid slabs - oh the horror. Frozen to the side rails trying to will one leg above the other. The Magic Mountain tower with its iron grid floor with holes in it. Horrible.

Cockroaches.

I used to have dreams my dad was a giant and trying to step on me, and was a huge shadowy towering figure. I don't know what that was about.

by Anonymousreply 34February 16, 2021 6:44 PM

This, which my grandparents kept in their downstairs toilet during the 1980s. I never wanted to use that toilet, besides it didn't even have a door.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 16, 2021 6:58 PM

Loud Vacuum cleaners (especially after watching mr mom), the old man on the Quaker Oats carton, Lou ferigno as the Incredible Hulk, Dee Snider in his twisted sister garb, Jeff goldblum (after watching The Fly), AIDS

by Anonymousreply 36February 16, 2021 7:02 PM

my mother...a raging nightmare of a women

by Anonymousreply 37February 16, 2021 7:07 PM

r37 = Christina Crawford

by Anonymousreply 38February 16, 2021 7:08 PM

Burglars. I used to have planned hiding spots I thought they wouldn’t be able to find me.

by Anonymousreply 39February 16, 2021 7:09 PM

R35, I’m laughing my ass off but I can’t figure out what the fuck that thing is.

😂

by Anonymousreply 40February 16, 2021 7:16 PM

My mother always bought the National Enquirer and there was almost always some story about someone spontaneously combusting so that fueled my nightmares. Also, the Bermuda Triangle. My parents went to Bermuda and I barely slept the entire time they were away thinking they would be disappear over it.

by Anonymousreply 41February 16, 2021 7:23 PM

Monsters that were under the bed. The only way to be safe was to be covered except for my face...God hep me if a toe was exposed

by Anonymousreply 42February 16, 2021 7:26 PM

I agree with R8. But today's children have much worse to fear. Many may someday be confronted with an opinion they don't agree with.

by Anonymousreply 43February 16, 2021 7:27 PM

Scooby Doo episodes. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 44February 16, 2021 7:30 PM

[quote] Also, the Bermuda Triangle. My parents went to Bermuda and I barely slept the entire time they were away thinking they would be disappear over it.

They were. The two people who came back were actually deep state operatives from a different species who were studying little gay kids.

by Anonymousreply 45February 16, 2021 7:37 PM

Divine!

by Anonymousreply 46February 16, 2021 7:39 PM

Thank you, r46.

Oh, you meant that big broad. Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 47February 16, 2021 7:40 PM

Another Abe Lincoln vote here. The old pics of him terrified me.

by Anonymousreply 48February 16, 2021 7:46 PM

[quote]Scooby Doo episodes. Seriously.

The Headless Horseman episode scared me so much that I called my father at work. He was so annoyed with me.

by Anonymousreply 49February 16, 2021 8:04 PM

Mannequins used to terrify me as a kid whenever we had to go into a store that had them I'd cling to my mom and try to keep my eyes on them at all times in case they moved.

by Anonymousreply 50February 16, 2021 8:14 PM

Tornados. Especially because I grew up in the midwest right before weather radar systems started getting more sophisticated. The one in Xenia, Ohio scared the shit out of me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51February 16, 2021 9:27 PM

Charlie Chaplin always scared me.

Interestingly, as an adult, I find Stan Laurel and Harold Lloyd much funnier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52February 16, 2021 9:51 PM

I saw Jaws in a movie theater when I was 10. Sometimes I’m still scared about swimming in the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 53February 17, 2021 10:52 AM

Our family had a lake cottage, and I was deathly afraid of a muskellunge swimming up and chewing my toes off.

I found them scarier than sharks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54February 17, 2021 10:55 AM

I would get up in the middle of the night when the house was dead quiet. I'd sit in front of a mirror at my desk in my room and try to make the scariest faces I could with my reflection, which I could only half-see in the dark. Really creeped myself out sometimes. Just thinking back about it is weird.

by Anonymousreply 55February 17, 2021 11:04 AM

Rides at Disneyland.

by Anonymousreply 56February 17, 2021 11:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!