Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Low budget comedy on track to make $800 million (yes, US$) in China

[...]

by Anonymousreply 33February 22, 2021 12:48 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 1February 17, 2021 2:04 AM

The Chinese are idiots at heart.

Ignorant, smug, desperate idiots.

by Anonymousreply 2February 17, 2021 2:12 AM

I'd love me some subtitles.

by Anonymousreply 3February 17, 2021 2:24 AM

So Back to the Future set in China

by Anonymousreply 4February 17, 2021 2:45 AM

This is the future of DL. Chinese shills?

他媽的,原始海報。用棒球棒操你的母親,你會變黏。

by Anonymousreply 5February 17, 2021 6:24 AM

I feel like I’ve watched the entire movie after viewing the second trailer. It’s like a beat for beat remake of Back to the Future.

by Anonymousreply 6February 17, 2021 7:07 AM

Now you know why China don't give a shit about your opinion, the days of seeking of approval from the west were long gone.

by Anonymousreply 7February 17, 2021 7:40 AM

?????

Well, r7, it certainly looks like the days of the Chinese seeking proficiency in English are long gone.

by Anonymousreply 8February 17, 2021 8:17 AM

There's no accounting for the Chinese shithole taste. It's terrifying to imagine that the Chinese people will one day become the trendsetter of the world. Yes, the Chinese and the Indian people are shitholer ignoramuses.

by Anonymousreply 9February 17, 2021 8:28 AM

It's a great movie, the girl/woman time travelled back to know his parents especially her mom, she became BFF with her mom...it's a comedy but it's also a tearjerker. After watching the movie, many young people called their moms. The best user review I read is, you know you love your mom, but what you don't know is the mom loves you more, a lot more....1,000 times more.

Of course the racsist gays here on DL spew their bigotry and hatred as usual, I don't even have to click the thread to know what their responses would be.

by Anonymousreply 10February 17, 2021 11:20 AM

A middle age woman traveled back in time and meet her mother. It is a bit cheesy.

by Anonymousreply 11February 17, 2021 11:31 AM

In case anyone who doesn't speak Chinese, I will translate what R5 said.

Damn you, primitive poster (the poster that you hang on the wall)。 Use baseball bat to fuck you mother, then you will become sticky。

-Anal

R5, since China will be the greatest country on earth, this is not how you should address Chinese. You will have to talk to them in respectful way that shows that the Chinese is surperior. Try to imagine talking to the queen of England when you talk to us. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 12February 17, 2021 11:41 AM

It's a family movie for the Chinese new year, do you want to watch sex, violence or disasters on new year's day?

by Anonymousreply 13February 17, 2021 11:42 AM

[quote] Now you know why China don't give a shit about your opinion, the days of seeking of approval from the west were long gone.

Still seeking all the intellectual property from the West, I see.

by Anonymousreply 14February 17, 2021 11:45 AM

You think the rest of the world has higher standards with all the remakes and reboots and Marvel & DC comic hero movies?

by Anonymousreply 15February 17, 2021 11:46 AM

R15 call me wrong, the lower standard the better box office in the US!

by Anonymousreply 16February 17, 2021 11:52 AM

I didn't know the concept of time travel is patented by the Hollywood studios, or maybe they should seek the approval from the estate of HG Wells before making the movie. But wait, travel back in time was depicted in many folklores long before "the time machine" was published in 1895.

by Anonymousreply 17February 17, 2021 12:09 PM

I stopped going to the movies in the late 1980's. I kind of hope all of this HUGE movie theater chains GO OUT OF BUSINESS.

by Anonymousreply 18February 17, 2021 12:22 PM

Fuck the Chinese cunts!!(from china)

They have a dog meat festival ever year where tens of thousands of dogs are slaughtered for eating!!!

Need I say more???

by Anonymousreply 19February 17, 2021 2:23 PM

Only white people can make or have nice things.

by Anonymousreply 20February 17, 2021 2:57 PM

Thanks for translating, R12.

中国政府强迫您的母亲中有多少姐妹?也许您可以回到过去与她的胎儿聊天。

by Anonymousreply 21February 17, 2021 4:34 PM

Perhaps the sequel will have the protagonist land on a vat of dead bats at the Wuhan market in 2019.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 17, 2021 4:40 PM

Looks better than "Parasite". I sat through 45 min. of that dreck and wondered what everyone was raving about.

by Anonymousreply 23February 17, 2021 4:54 PM

[quote] the Chinese is surperior.

Oh, and, R12. Hopefully you can go back in time to reconnect with your relatives who were imprisoned and slaughtered during the evil Mao regime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 17, 2021 5:54 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 25February 21, 2021 11:20 PM

Those are amazing numbers. Wow - good for her. I want to see it when it's subtitled in English.

But r24 is completely correct. This is a ridiculously rosy picture of 1981 China.

1980 was the year the CCP imposed a one- child policy, and anyone who was born before 1980 (all the characters in the movie except for the protagonist) lived through hell in the years just prior to the time this movie portrays.

From the Pew Research article linked below:

"These older Chinese lived through a volatile era that included the civil war (ending in 1949), the Great Leap Forward (1958-1960), the Cultural Revolution (1966-1976) and other radical movements. They were part of a more agrarian society, with many living in poverty. They were also part of a younger society: Data show that 72% of China’s population during the Cultural Revolution were ages 34 and under, including about 60% who were ages 24 and under."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 21, 2021 11:32 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 27February 21, 2021 11:55 PM

Weird

by Anonymousreply 28February 22, 2021 12:09 AM

An hour after seeing it, audiences were hungry for the sequel.

by Anonymousreply 29February 22, 2021 12:11 AM

Chinese guys are hot but they’re hard to get to know. They also don’t seem as joyous as Koreans or Japanese people.

by Anonymousreply 30February 22, 2021 12:11 AM

By the eighties the Chinese people had lived through decade upon decade of government-mandated mass killings.

This is an interesting paper (translated from the French so not very elegantly worded) detailing the chronology of the mass murders in China. The last section is simply title "Endless Killing".

China was a terrifying place to live for most of the 20th century.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 22, 2021 12:29 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 32February 22, 2021 12:35 AM

...OK, and OP?

by Anonymousreply 33February 22, 2021 12:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!