Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Happy 90th Claire Bloom!

Forever Lady Marchmain in my eyes. "Callously wicked", "wantonly cruel".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 6, 2022 3:26 AM

Is she a Dame or isn't she? I couldn't figure it out.

by Anonymousreply 1February 15, 2021 4:15 PM

As a kid in the late 60s/early 70s some of her films were on television all the time: The Chapman Report (62), The Haunting (63), The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (65), Charly (68), The Illustrated Man (69). Quite a career! Glad to see she's still alive.

by Anonymousreply 2February 15, 2021 4:30 PM

R1, she is a CBE, not a DBE or GBE, so no she isn't a Dame.

by Anonymousreply 3February 15, 2021 8:10 PM

Cast against type as the alcoholic nymphomaniac in George Cukor's melodrama, "The Chapman Report."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 15, 2021 8:29 PM

^^ He asked her to play that part without a bra. She said this direction helped find the physicality of the character.

by Anonymousreply 5February 15, 2021 8:42 PM

She was married to Rod Steiger, yes? I confuse her with Claire Trevor for no reason but they share a first name.

by Anonymousreply 6February 15, 2021 8:46 PM

I saw her play Clytemnestra in Sophocles’ “Electra” on Broadway with Zoe Wanamaker, Michael Cumpsty, and the glorious Pat Carroll. Her role was comparatively brief, but she was glorious.

by Anonymousreply 7February 15, 2021 8:49 PM

I read her memoir about her relationship with Philip Roth. She wrote that he was a darling but turned into a monster after they married. She really made him out to be a psychopath but he wrote some great work after their divorce. This is the only memoir I’ve read that includes Roth so I don’t know if her story has been verified.

by Anonymousreply 8February 16, 2021 5:58 AM

I'm surprised she hasn't been made a Dame. We've recently discussed Dames Penelope Keith and Barbara Windsor, and Claire Bloom has had a much more substantial acting career than either of them. I know someone said Windsor's was more for her charity work, though.

by Anonymousreply 9February 16, 2021 8:43 PM

Claire Bloom starred with (at the time) Dina Merrill's husband, Cliff Robertson, in his Academy Award-winning performance in the 1968 movie, "Charly."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 16, 2021 9:10 PM

Charly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 16, 2021 9:11 PM

She was an un-fucking-believably good Orlena Grimaldi on As the World Turns.

by Anonymousreply 12February 16, 2021 9:13 PM

Didn't she kill somebody or was that the other one?

by Anonymousreply 13February 16, 2021 10:05 PM

Sexy psychic lezbo in The Haunting! Well dressed too, thank you Mary Quant! GodDAMN, that movie is scurrey...ooof

by Anonymousreply 14February 16, 2021 10:18 PM

She's had an interesting life.

by Anonymousreply 15February 16, 2021 10:30 PM

The Claire Bloom-Phillip Roth feud would make a good series of FEUD.

by Anonymousreply 16February 16, 2021 10:48 PM

Lady Marchmain was not "Callously wicked" or "wantonly cruel". She was just a good Catholic.

by Anonymousreply 17February 16, 2021 11:33 PM

[quote] She was an un-fucking-believably good Orlena Grimaldi on As the World Turns.

I didn't realize she had been on a US soap.

by Anonymousreply 18February 17, 2021 1:00 AM

I served her once, She had scrambled eggs and toast. After she paid the check and was leaving I said "Miss Bloom?" And she smiled and said yes. It was cool.

by Anonymousreply 19February 17, 2021 1:12 AM

Isn't her daughter with Steiger, the Opera singer, a homosexualist?

by Anonymousreply 20February 17, 2021 1:47 AM

Philip Roth wreaked big revenge on her in his book I MARRIED A COMMUNIST. Who knows where the truth lies, but I can't think of Claire Bloom any more without referencing the monstrous Eve Frame (and her horrid daughter) in Roth's book.

by Anonymousreply 21February 17, 2021 1:53 AM

R20 Unfortunately she inherited her father physique.

R21 I tried to read that piece of fiction but it was so dripping with BILE that I began to distrust everything. I desisted after 60 pages.

[quote] It was cool.

R19 I suspect her critics would suggest that her complete persona was cool. She was as cold and cerebral to the point of frigidity.

The BBC for some unknown reason asked her to play Karenina. She is as cold as Siberia. The production is as cheap as a railway waiting room and it isn't a patch on the brilliantly-photographed production starring Vivien and Ralph Richardson.

Her Karenina is paired with Albert Lieven (whose career relied on submissive Nazis) and Sean Connery (who, prior to grooming and trimmed eyebrows, had such deep dimples in his cheeks that he looks like a pantomime doll).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 5, 2022 4:59 AM

"Charles. Is this true?", "Callously wicked and wantonly crewell," "I don't think I can go on anymore."

"It's voodoo. You can see her tootmarks on the necks of her victims." - essence of what a certain A. Blanche had to say about Teresa Marchmain

by Anonymousreply 23May 5, 2022 5:18 AM

Roth couldn't stand Woody Allen, and after Allen and Mia Farrow split, he briefly dated Farrow and they remained friends. In Roth's novel "The Humbling," the protagonist meets a woman who has caught her husband sexually abusing her young daughter; and, supposedly, "Deconstructing Harry" was Allen's unflattering depiction of Roth. Bloom had small, not very memorable, roles in a couple of Allen's movies.

by Anonymousreply 24May 5, 2022 5:53 AM

The two Bloom movies I most remember are "The Clash Of The Titans", and "The Haunting", both of which I love. I always forget she was in "Crimes And Misdemeanors" & "Mighty Aphrodite". I really do need to seek out her other films. Thanks for the reminder, OP!

by Anonymousreply 25May 5, 2022 6:05 AM

[quote] The two Bloom movies I most remember are "The Clash Of The Titans", and "The Haunting

She's appeared in LOTS more important movies than those two.

She's appeared with the best; Chaplin, Olivier, Burton, Mason, Newman, and Hopkins as well as Steiger, Brynner and De Mille in 125 movies over 74 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 5, 2022 6:18 AM

^ Add Connery to that list!

by Anonymousreply 27May 5, 2022 6:23 AM

She lost her virginity to Richard Burton, and they had an on-off affair over many years. Until one day:

She found him locked in 'a fervent embrace' with the American actress Susan Strasberg, seven years her junior, who bore a striking resemblance to Bloom. Claire paused only long enough to yell 'F*** off, the pair of you!' before slamming the door.

by Anonymousreply 28May 5, 2022 6:30 AM

No love for Bloom in Sammy and Rosie Get Laid?

Just messing with you.

by Anonymousreply 29May 5, 2022 6:33 AM

In addition to using his rage against Bloom in fiction, Roth also wrote a no-holds-barred non-fiction response to Bloom's memoir. He showed it to friends who thought it so extreme that it would be advisable not to publish. So of course we can only wonder if this ferocious testament might ever see the light of day, in due course.

by Anonymousreply 30May 5, 2022 6:36 AM

[quote] no-holds-barred

I bet there were some no-holds-barred battles in this marriage.

(He was almost slim back in those days)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 5, 2022 6:57 AM

I'm glad that Claire Bloom's Lady Marchmain won't be supplanted by this totally unnecessary remake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 6, 2022 3:29 AM

Thank you, R26. I'll try to take in at least one of the other films over the weekend. I often play things in the background while I sketch & sculpt.

by Anonymousreply 33May 12, 2022 7:48 PM

Claire and the mouth-watering young Chad Everett

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 29, 2022 5:17 AM

and hungry

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 29, 2022 5:35 AM

R21 Roth was a jealous freak. He could not handle any competition from anyone. Typical sick, self important asshole writer. I wouldn't buy a word he said.

by Anonymousreply 36July 29, 2022 5:40 AM

R35 Alan Cohen aka 'Corey Allen' was hot and he went to the right synagogue!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 29, 2022 10:30 AM

I would love to watch her whole storyline on ATWT over again.

by Anonymousreply 38July 29, 2022 11:09 AM

Why has she refused to accept a damehood?

Unlike Dame Irene Worth, she deigned to appear in crummy TV soap like Midsummer Murders.

by Anonymousreply 39July 31, 2022 11:10 PM

She was especially beautiful in Look Back In Anger.

She had terrible taste in men.

She married Roth because she liked the image of "the famous writer" as her husband.

by Anonymousreply 40July 31, 2022 11:18 PM

She goes for "dangerous men" to counteract her virginal stereotype.

Either that, or she's got some mysterious Ashkenazy self-hatred obsession.

by Anonymousreply 41July 31, 2022 11:22 PM

the rarely screened The Chapman Report (1962) is being shown on TCM on August 18

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 6, 2022 3:11 AM

Pre-caftan Shelley warming up the pearls.

by Anonymousreply 43August 6, 2022 3:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!