Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tea drinkers of DL, what are some of your faves?

Currently cradling a lovely mug of Charleston Tea Plantation brand peach tea

by Anonymousreply 85February 17, 2021 5:47 PM

Constant Comment.

Great drag name btw: Constance Comment.

by Anonymousreply 1February 15, 2021 2:23 PM

silver needle white

by Anonymousreply 2February 15, 2021 2:26 PM

Tieguanyin

Longjing

Fenghuang Dan Cong

by Anonymousreply 3February 15, 2021 2:31 PM

R1 looked it up. It sounds delicious

by Anonymousreply 4February 15, 2021 2:31 PM

PG Tips

by Anonymousreply 5February 15, 2021 2:32 PM

Rooibos aka red tea. No caffeine, no tannins, lots of antioxidants and a good comforting drink in any weather.

by Anonymousreply 6February 15, 2021 2:35 PM

PG Tips in the morning, Twinings Oolong in the afternoon and evening.

by Anonymousreply 7February 15, 2021 2:36 PM

Harney and Sons....Hot Cinnemon Spice, Paris and Lemon Herbal..

by Anonymousreply 8February 15, 2021 2:37 PM

*cinnamon

by Anonymousreply 9February 15, 2021 2:37 PM

I like my tea unadulterated. Good tea should taste good without any additives.

by Anonymousreply 10February 15, 2021 2:40 PM

PG Tips, never mix ~ never worry.

by Anonymousreply 11February 15, 2021 2:41 PM

A London Fog blend during the daytime and Dragonwell green tea in the evenings.

by Anonymousreply 12February 15, 2021 2:43 PM

I was never a tea drinker. I just started to appreciate it. It's comforting...still like coffee, too.

by Anonymousreply 13February 15, 2021 2:43 PM

R1 stole my thunder and also has exceptional taste. Constant Comment by Bigelow is one of my faves due to the combination of orange rind and sweet spice. If you're a fruit tea drinker you'll enjoy any of the Ahmad (black) teas, my faves are mango, apricot sunset and strawberry.

For herbal (no caffeine) teas, you can't go wrong with the Celestial Seasonings fruit teas, and I believe they sell sampler packs. Also by CS is one of my all-time fave teas: Bengal Spice herbal tea. It's an Indian herbal chai tea. I even make it into iced tea in the summer (its natural sweetness means no sugar needed either).

by Anonymousreply 14February 15, 2021 2:45 PM

'Tension Tamer' is the only tea I drink.

by Anonymousreply 15February 15, 2021 2:50 PM

Yogi Tangerine.

by Anonymousreply 16February 15, 2021 2:52 PM

Call me fancy, but I love Russian tea.

Mix Lipton's with Tang and a few cloves.

Serve piping hot with a cinnamon stick.

Your guests will be in awe. DELISH!

by Anonymousreply 17February 15, 2021 2:54 PM

Coffee drinker mostly, but morning tea is Irish Breakfast with a splash of milk.

Afternoon tea is Harney & Sons "Paris" tea. So, so good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 15, 2021 2:55 PM

Barry’s Irish Breakfast (with milk)

Private Selection Oolong

Uncle Lee’s Green

by Anonymousreply 19February 15, 2021 2:57 PM

Luzianne, I just cold brew it the fridge overnight. Unsweetened. So much cheaper and convenient than buying cans of soda.

by Anonymousreply 20February 15, 2021 2:59 PM

I just now found out that Teavana tea stores shut down a few years ago. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 21February 15, 2021 3:00 PM

Yorkshire Gold. Nothing else will do.

by Anonymousreply 22February 15, 2021 3:03 PM

Barry's Irish Tea - Gold Blend. Their Irish Breakfast is also excellent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 15, 2021 3:09 PM

I try to get two cups out of one teabag or satchet. Not a purist...lol.

by Anonymousreply 24February 15, 2021 3:11 PM

Damman Freres Jardin Bleu. I have to hide it from my husband because he will drink 8 cups a day until its gone.

by Anonymousreply 25February 15, 2021 3:13 PM

I love Celestial Seasonings Peppermint tea. The peppermint comes from Oregon and I think it is the best tasting.

Stash's Moroccan Mint tea is delicious, if I drink it, it's in the morning because it has caffeine.

Stash also makes Licorice Spice which is a nice dessert tea.

Pete's dark roast decaf is my go to for home brewed coffee.

For cold beverages I drink a lot of Kirkland's flavored carbonated water.

by Anonymousreply 26February 15, 2021 3:14 PM

Tazo chai (in a bag) is strong enough to stand a couple of tablespoons of milk after a 5-minute steep.

Most other labels I've tried are too weak.

Sweetened chai "syrup" in a box is an abomination.

by Anonymousreply 27February 15, 2021 3:19 PM

For those who prefer a strong cuppa, Make Mine a Builder's is outstanding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 15, 2021 3:24 PM

I had to give up caffeine and Barry’s decaf is the best decaf black tea I’ve tried. It is very rich and full compared to weaker decaf teas I’ve tried.

I make iced tea with one bag of Barry’s and one decaf Earl Grey or one Stash Lemon Ginger. Constant Comment on its own makes a very refreshing iced tea.

by Anonymousreply 29February 15, 2021 4:00 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 15, 2021 4:05 PM

Barry’s Irish

PG tips strong

Harney & sons Paris & London Fog

Waitrose grand Marquess

by Anonymousreply 31February 15, 2021 4:07 PM

Lapsang Souchong FOREVAR

by Anonymousreply 32February 15, 2021 4:10 PM

R30 I doubt that's fair trade

by Anonymousreply 33February 15, 2021 4:10 PM

organic green tea

by Anonymousreply 34February 15, 2021 4:19 PM

Trader Joe's Moroccan Mint

by Anonymousreply 35February 15, 2021 4:21 PM

What’s the difference between Barry’s in the red box (my regular, with sugar) and Barry’s in the green?

by Anonymousreply 36February 15, 2021 4:24 PM

Harney's-Paris, Earl of Harlem, and Japanese Whiskey

August Uncommon Tea- The Black Lodge and Cabaret

Fortnum and Mason- Smoky Earl Gray

Once in a while, a nice milky oolong

by Anonymousreply 37February 15, 2021 4:28 PM

Fruit flavored teas mark the drinker as decidedly nouvea riche white trash .

by Anonymousreply 38February 15, 2021 4:28 PM

Twining’s Earl Grey. My husband drinks Darjeeling. It has to be full leaf. He buys it from Mariage Freres, says theirs is the best.

by Anonymousreply 39February 15, 2021 4:34 PM

Earl Grey is like drinking perfume.

by Anonymousreply 40February 15, 2021 5:44 PM

I've seen Harney & Sons mentioned here; I love their White Vanilla Grapefruit and their mint, specifically Mint Verbena.

Also, Wissotzky tea; the cherry and peach variety.

by Anonymousreply 41February 15, 2021 6:12 PM

R28, how does Builder's tea compare to PG Tips?

Agree, R40, Earl Grey is like perfume. I do like the smell, though.

by Anonymousreply 42February 15, 2021 6:17 PM

All the teas have that artificial flavoring now. It tastes like sour acid. So cheap and “fake” tasting.

Any brands that still use real flavorings? I just drink water now and the occasional lemon-lime soda.

Everything else taste like chemicals these days.

by Anonymousreply 43February 15, 2021 6:25 PM

Tea already has a flavor. What flavor are you looking for?

Be aware, though. They're not going to make hazelnut coffee with the best coffee. Same goes for tea.

by Anonymousreply 44February 15, 2021 6:30 PM

Anyone tried butterfly pea flower tea? It's all the rage on Instagram because it's pretty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45February 15, 2021 6:47 PM

R32 Are you having trouble finding this? I always liked to drink Lapsong Souchong in winter... but haven't found it in my usual stores nor online - "possibly carcinogenic" was how it was explained to me.

For dark teas I tend to Pu-erh... I like the earthy taste. But in the afternoons, I also like Darjeeling (the champagne of tea!) which is just the opposite... astringent and light. For both of those more common brands are "ok", but it's worth it to go to a real tea dealer for quality brick or bulk teas.

Green teas are my every day beverage - and common brands are fine. Numi Gunpowder Green tea is a good standard. Tazo and Stash other brands.

Oolong tea - there's a company in Taiwan, "Kings", that has a variety of really high quality oolong... sometimes "spiked" with ginseng... you can spend a lot, but it's worth it. Many teas claim "second or third brewing"... which is almost never worth it. But King's tea only gets good on the second or third brewing.

by Anonymousreply 46February 15, 2021 6:54 PM

I’m all about the Oolong. All kinds.

Usually buy it from the tea store, I think it’s called T. Kettle, in my local mall.

by Anonymousreply 47February 15, 2021 7:05 PM

Twinings Earl Grey and UK Typhoo are my favorites. Tetley makes a great “british blend” in our US supermarkets when in a pinch. Their iced tea blend is the best one for iced, coming from a New Orleanian ex-Luzianne fan. Luzianne was much better in the early 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 48February 15, 2021 7:19 PM

I am a decided tea snob. Not an expert, just highly opinionated. My everyday go-to tea is Fortnum & Mason's Afternoon Blend. It's flavorful, and never bitter. I use Assam for iced tea, and Darjeeling when serving a formal afternoon tea. At night I sometimes do an oolong with jasmine, or a plain, unflavored white tea. I always use loose leaf tea, and in the highest grade I can find (FTGFOP or better). Even then it works out cheaper than a daily Starbucks fix. I stay away from fruity herbal concoctions -they are not tea. When I am out and about and want a cup, I go for Constant Comment, like R1. It has a consistent flavor, and is far less likely to be stale than most of the teas offered in US restaurants.

Like most things, tea is what you make it. And how you make it. You really do taste the flavors differently depending on the temperature of the water and the brewing time. And you won't get any of the flavors you're paying for if you bury your high-end tea in sugar, milk and additives. In cooking, they say you should never cook with a wine you wouldn't drink from a glass. In tea, you should never drink a tea that you wouldn't drink plain, with no sugar, lemon, or milk.

Snob that I am, I'd rather be served a store-brand black tea in a tea bag than a cup of any kind of coffee.

by Anonymousreply 49February 15, 2021 7:56 PM

The best black tea I've ever had was in Japan, milk tea or miruku tea. Yes, I like tea with milk and sugar. I also like Thai iced tea (with sweetened condensed milk).

by Anonymousreply 50February 15, 2021 8:02 PM

I mix my own from a collection of organic herbs. Red Rose petals, Rose Hips, Chamomile, Lemon, Orange, Strawberry, Pineapple, Hibiscus, Passion Flower, Jasmine Flower, Mint, Lavender, Cinnamon, Star Anise, and Ginger, are a few...

I'll definitely be adding in actual teas (black, white, green, etc.) soon enough.

My current favorite mass-produced tea is Stassen Jasmine Green Tea. The scent and flavor are HEAVEN. It's eight bucks a box on Amazon. I order two at a time. It's excellent hot or cold. I like to pour a few ounces of unsweetened cranberry juice into a glass with ice, before adding the unsweetened tea. It's been my favorite for several years now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51February 15, 2021 8:03 PM

Bigelow Cinnamon Stick Tea

Cinnamon Stick another good drag name.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52February 15, 2021 8:03 PM

More tea drag/pron names:

Orange Pekoe

Lapsang Souchong / Lapdance Chewdong

Assam / Ass 'em

Nilgiri

Lady Grey

by Anonymousreply 53February 15, 2021 8:20 PM

Tisane Bali, by Dammann Freres

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54February 15, 2021 8:31 PM

Turkish Apple Tea, Turko Baba

by Anonymousreply 55February 15, 2021 9:34 PM

You're missing out if you don't try this. And the price isn't too bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56February 16, 2021 4:07 AM

Anyone tried Matcha?

by Anonymousreply 57February 16, 2021 4:48 AM

Tropical tea from Cheesecake Factory(kiss my ass haters) and Bigelow Mango Green Tea.

by Anonymousreply 58February 16, 2021 5:21 AM

Sure, R57. I like it but it's not something to drink every day for me. I get my matcha directly from Japan (as all my Japanese teas), since I made the experience that most locally sold matcha tastes terribly stale.

by Anonymousreply 59February 16, 2021 6:12 AM

Glad I made this thread. So many different teas I wanna try now

by Anonymousreply 60February 16, 2021 6:17 AM

[quote]how does Builder's tea compare to PG Tips

Builder's is stronger than both PG Tips and PG Tips Extra Strong, due to the inclusion in their blend of tea from Tanzania, Uganda and Malawi. The standard tea blend is usually India and Kenya. Some companies use tea from Rwanda in their blends, such as Yorkshire Gold.

After working my way through just about every tea brand in existence (I've yet to try Thompson's and Brewley's), from Tetley's to PG Tips, from Yorkshire to Barry's, from Marks and Sparks to Harney's, from Twinings to Taylor's of Harrogate, for my money, the absolutely best is Barry's Irish Breakfast, followed closely by Builder's and then possibly Lyons Original Blend.

And it's tea bags all the way. My days of cleaning the teapot of dregs and stains are over.

by Anonymousreply 61February 16, 2021 6:31 AM

Mariage Frères French Breakfast

by Anonymousreply 62February 16, 2021 6:40 AM

I've tried a lot of tea and Barry's is my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 63February 16, 2021 6:45 AM

I was given a tin of New English Tea's Fine Earl Grey for Christmas, and it's really nice. 🧡

by Anonymousreply 64February 16, 2021 7:00 AM

Tea fanatic here. Black tea only, and nothing flavoured. For the most part, supermarket teabags, even if supposedly high end, are usually the tea dust swept up from the floor. However, if I have to drink supermarket tea, Twinings or Tetley English Breakfast are pretty good. True tea cognosenti do not even buy from local tea merchants; they buy online exclusively. I haven't done so (yet). I can't stand when tea merchants open the container for customers to smell the tea, exposing it to air numerous times. Due to Covid, they now put samples in small glass jars for people to sniff. I think sniffing tea leaves is a waste of time.

Good tea starts at €9 for 100 grams and can go up, so it can be pretty expensive. I use a "tea spoon" so it's no more trouble than using a teabag. You need to keep loose tea (or even teabags) in a dark air-tight container.

My tea of choice is top quality Assam and if I buy blends, they usually have an Assam component. Recommendations welcome.

by Anonymousreply 65February 16, 2021 7:26 AM

Do you mean Bewley's, R61? I don't like their black tea, Barry's is much better. However, they do have a great Rooibos and Blood Orange tea. It's best to buy it loose as the tea bags are outrageously expensive.

by Anonymousreply 66February 16, 2021 12:24 PM

In the late 1970's you were considered SOPHISTICATED if you drank CELESTIAL SEASONINGS herbal tea.

by Anonymousreply 67February 16, 2021 12:38 PM

My doctor said I can’t have caffeine anymore because of my stomach issues. So now I’m just drinking Trader Joe’s decaffeinated green tea.

by Anonymousreply 68February 16, 2021 12:43 PM

Tazo organic chai. Delicious, doesn't have that weird taste of other chais.

by Anonymousreply 69February 16, 2021 12:44 PM

How long does loose tea keep if stored properly?

by Anonymousreply 70February 16, 2021 12:46 PM

I’ve had some excellent tea from Limuru in Kenya.

by Anonymousreply 71February 16, 2021 1:42 PM

R57 Yes, Matcha, high in caffeine, also has a unique impact (at least on me). The caffeine in Matcha makes me feel highly energetic but the taste and chemical properties of Matcha (catechins, anti-oxidants, L-theanine which has an interesting "entourage" effect with caffeine) make the "buzz" much different than coffee. It's calming, clearing, and energy-producing - one reason it's used in Zen tea ceremonies etc.

As R59 says, most of what's sold as "matcha" is bunk. It's worth getting directly from Japan from a reputable source. Timing of the production (in addition to the quality of the leaves) is important.

by Anonymousreply 72February 16, 2021 3:46 PM

I, too, am mostly a coffee drinker and will drink any black tea in a bag (cheap-ass Twining's English Breakfast tea being a favorite), but early in the pandemic, I decide to indulge in some fancy leaf teas from Upton Tea Imports. Their Darjeeling Orthodox is one that I've particularly enjoyed (it's taken me a long time to get through the whole bag--not sure if I'll reorder).

Has anyone tried MUD/WTR, the "coffee alternative" that's heavily advertised on Facebook feeds?

by Anonymousreply 73February 16, 2021 3:49 PM

What brand do you drink R72, and where do you get it?

by Anonymousreply 74February 16, 2021 6:30 PM

R74 Ocha

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75February 16, 2021 10:49 PM

Thanks R75. How do you personally drink it, just straight?

by Anonymousreply 76February 16, 2021 11:02 PM

This orange tea from Tazo is good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77February 16, 2021 11:03 PM

R76 Yes, straight.... whipped with the whisk to make it nice an foamy though.

I've had some "matcha chai" out in the real world (remember before covid?), and I enjoyed them. But that's a guilty pleasure... the pure taste of good matcha prepared well shouldn't be "sullied" by anything else, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 78February 16, 2021 11:08 PM

Fortnum & Mason in London is an excellent place to shop for tea. They have a display with over a dozen types of tea where you can (or could, in pre-covid days) sniff the aroma, and read about proper water temps and brewing times, etc. They also sell almost all of their teas in loose-leaf or bags in various quantities. Makes it easy to try out something new. Upstairs in the tea salon they do samplers, where you can taste a lot of different kinds of tea and talk with a server who can help you choose. You can order their products online, too, which is very convenient.

One thing to remember is that they have a flat-rate international shipping option, rather than by weight, so it pays to order a lot of stuff all at once. For example, a box of tea bags will cost about $8. That same box at Amazon, imported, will cost $20 or more. With F&M's $36 delivery fee, it makes sense to order some of their amazing marmalade, jams, chocolates, etc. along with your tea. I have ordered as many as six boxes of tea, 7 jars of preserves, a tin of biscuits, a tea strainer, a bar of soap, a two-pound box of chocolates, and some tea cloths -and they all fit in the standard shipping box.

by Anonymousreply 79February 16, 2021 11:42 PM

I'm currently enjoying Twining's English Breakfast Decaffeinated:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80February 17, 2021 5:00 AM

I love Yorkshire Gold the best. I buy it through amazon.

by Anonymousreply 81February 17, 2021 5:15 AM

Earl grey, lavender or Rose Earl grey, matcha, chai, sleepy tea, English breakfast, Yorkshire gold, oolong , Jasmine, peppermint.

by Anonymousreply 82February 17, 2021 7:21 AM

PG Tips

Constant Comment (GOD I love that stuff!)

Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice

by Anonymousreply 83February 17, 2021 8:11 AM

“Tisane” is one of the gayest words ever.

by Anonymousreply 84February 17, 2021 12:04 PM

Miss Lemon: Your tisane, Monsieur Poirot

Hercule Poirot: Thank you, Miss Lemon. This is what you need, Hastings.

Captain Hastings: No fear; I’ve tasted it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85February 17, 2021 5:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!