Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What the secret to cutting your finger nails?

No matter how I seem to cut them, they always look awful. Any DL tips or advice?

TIA

by Anonymousreply 20February 15, 2021 4:25 AM

Frequent trimming and emery boards.

by Anonymousreply 1February 14, 2021 10:43 PM

I just use a nail file. I don't let them get long enough to trim.

by Anonymousreply 2February 14, 2021 10:48 PM

I've seen multiple people suggest filing rather than cutting.

I frequently get hang-nails and my nails will rip at the ends and get hung on clothing.

Anybody get their nails done at a salon? I'm wondering if getting my nails "done" monthly would solve these problems.

Filed, polished, and then a clear coat? (I have no idea how it works).

by Anonymousreply 3February 14, 2021 10:51 PM

Stop using a belt sander, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4February 14, 2021 10:57 PM

My partner just files every 2-3 days. I like to snap them off when they’re dry so they fly across the room.

by Anonymousreply 5February 14, 2021 11:02 PM

Just when I thought Datalounge couldn’t get gayer.

by Anonymousreply 6February 14, 2021 11:04 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 14, 2021 11:05 PM

Clip you nails after you shower so that they are softer and pliable. Trim and shape. Use a nail file or emery board to round out the corners.

by Anonymousreply 8February 14, 2021 11:06 PM

[quote]Just when I thought Datalounge couldn’t get gayer.

Never, [itaic]ever[/italic] say that.

by Anonymousreply 9February 14, 2021 11:31 PM

Use small scissors to cut the nail straight across the top at the length you want. Then trim the sides into roughly a curve.

File so the line is smooth. Do every Sat. or Sun.

by Anonymousreply 10February 14, 2021 11:35 PM

And always dial the phone with a pencil.

by Anonymousreply 11February 14, 2021 11:37 PM

One word for you, OP: manicurist. Look it up if you have to.

by Anonymousreply 12February 14, 2021 11:53 PM

Just be careful letting your fingers and their gnarled up nubs you call nails doing the walking through the phone book to find one.

by Anonymousreply 13February 14, 2021 11:55 PM

It's probably your proximal nail fold and cuticle that look like crap. You need to push down that skin with something with an dull edge (even just your nail from your other hand). You can clip the excess skin, but I prefer to just push the skin down. Then put lotion on your hands, nails, and massage into your cuticles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 15, 2021 12:02 AM

Electric nail file, it'll change your life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 15, 2021 12:02 AM

R15, do you have that Beurer electric nail file? How is it?

by Anonymousreply 16February 15, 2021 12:04 AM

I cannot properly file my nails. They never look good, they catch on things and they peel off. I used an emery board, a buffer, a smoother...my nails are always uneven & raggedy.

by Anonymousreply 17February 15, 2021 2:01 AM

OP, you need to go see Madge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 15, 2021 3:05 AM

probably 2x a month I get my nails cut at a salon; $20 plus tip; sometimes I'll spring for a shoulder massage and pedicure; I'm a writer so I spend a lot time on computer.

it's a luxury, but I can't give it up.

years ago before I started this I chipped a front tooth; my dentist said, 'do you bite your nails?'

I could clip myself and use a 'memory' board - I should try that to save some bucks.

by Anonymousreply 19February 15, 2021 4:22 AM

Do any manicurists give a happy ending?

by Anonymousreply 20February 15, 2021 4:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!