Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Wendie Jo Sperber

Wendie Jo Sperber was one of those character actresses that you know would still be working today.

What are your thoughts on all things Wendie Jo?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88February 18, 2021 4:45 AM

"I spent many years with low self-esteem, but the cancer has given me the gift of seeing how many people love me."

by Anonymousreply 1February 14, 2021 4:11 AM

I liked her in I Wanna Hold Your Hand. She was also in an ABC Afterschool Special ca. 1978 about someone shooting smack. I watched as a twelve year old.

by Anonymousreply 2February 14, 2021 4:18 AM

Her nasal voice annoyed the hell out of me.

by Anonymousreply 3February 14, 2021 4:19 AM

She was very funny as a photographer’s assistant on an episode of “Designing Women.” This sexist pig photographer did a photo shoot at Sugarbakers. He dressed the women in silly over the top sexy outfits that made the women uncomfortable. The photographer would smarmy rave about one of the women - the running gag was that a bored monotone Wendie Jo Sperber would reply with - “Yeah...Sure....Fine .....Whatever.”

by Anonymousreply 4February 14, 2021 4:30 AM

She was good in I Wanna Hold Your Hand, Bosom Buddies, and Babes. She was also in that terrible John Ritter-Markie Post-Billy Bob Thornton early 1990s sitcom Hearts Afire (free on Amazon Prime).

by Anonymousreply 5February 14, 2021 4:32 AM

Mindy Cohn was one of her best friends

by Anonymousreply 6February 14, 2021 4:32 AM

On Bosom Buddies she won praise for being a well-dressed heavy-set young woman who was pretty and had romantic desires.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 14, 2021 4:36 AM

She was a delightful character actress. She carried herself as if she was the hottest girl in the room, and therefore she was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 14, 2021 4:41 AM

[quote] Mindy Cohn was one of her best friends

That's a lot of latkes and passive aggressiveness.

by Anonymousreply 9February 14, 2021 4:57 AM

Solid broad. She could plug a hole in a fuselage with that ass.

by Anonymousreply 10February 14, 2021 5:05 AM

she was so funny in Moving Violations, another great 80's movie

by Anonymousreply 11February 14, 2021 5:48 AM

She was a great actress. I think she could have been Kathy Bates great at some point. She was really confident in her craft and her body. Sorry she passed so soon.

by Anonymousreply 12February 14, 2021 5:48 AM

Echo what others have said here, I loved her in I Wanna Hold Your Hand. It's one of my favourite films about fandom, and Sperber played a Beatles fan to perfection.

Also loved her in one my guilty pleasures, Bachelor Party.

by Anonymousreply 13February 14, 2021 6:55 AM

Women in Prison was HERS!

by Anonymousreply 14February 14, 2021 6:57 AM

She was replaced by Kathy Najimy.

by Anonymousreply 15February 14, 2021 7:05 AM

If only "Women in Prison" and "Facts of Life" had had a very special crossover episode.

by Anonymousreply 16February 14, 2021 8:20 AM

and she was great in Bachelor Party

by Anonymousreply 17February 14, 2021 8:46 AM

Dinky Hocker Shoots Smack!

by Anonymousreply 18February 14, 2021 9:06 AM

R18- Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 19February 14, 2021 11:45 AM

When I was a kid I loves the show Babes. Man, Fox was an assembly line for shitty yet enjoyable sitcoms in the early 90s.

by Anonymousreply 20February 14, 2021 12:19 PM

Loved her!

by Anonymousreply 21February 14, 2021 12:22 PM

I miss the days when fat shaming wasn't actively discouraged...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 14, 2021 12:23 PM

Did she carry around a snack purse?

by Anonymousreply 23February 14, 2021 12:26 PM

I loved her in everything I saw her in, and a former friend worked with her several times and said she was a delight. He also said she didn't care for him much which made me love her even more, because the former friend was a huge pain in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 24February 14, 2021 12:28 PM

R22, Babes stole Friends’s episode naming method.

by Anonymousreply 25February 14, 2021 12:37 PM

Babes preceded Friends by 4 years!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 26February 14, 2021 12:42 PM

Wasn’t she also in Back to the Future as the sister?

by Anonymousreply 27February 14, 2021 12:44 PM

The only thing I remember her in was I Wanna Hold Your Hand, where she (and Eddie Deezen) were shrilly over-the-top as crazed Beatles fans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 14, 2021 12:47 PM

I loved her as Doris on Fame.

by Anonymousreply 29February 14, 2021 12:56 PM

So glad to see some love for Wendi Jo here. She's one of my faves. Loved her in Bachelor Party. I think she was one of those actresses who would have been an "overnight success" when the right part came along, especially on a streaming series, which it would have. She was too good for bit & second banana parts, which always outshined the main player. "I thought you said no hookers, Stanley, no hookers, no hookers!"

by Anonymousreply 30February 14, 2021 1:06 PM

Dinky Hocker Shoots Smack was a terrible production of a good book. June Lockhart played the mother and a miscast Wendie Jo played the daughter.

by Anonymousreply 31February 14, 2021 1:07 PM

She was a great rockin' dancer as evidenced in "1942". Also remember her being Marty's sister in 'Back to the Future". She

by Anonymousreply 32February 14, 2021 1:16 PM

Anyone else remember a scene she did with a man on the telephone she thinks is her doctor but os actually a car mechanic telling her to lube up her rear end and run down the street flat out to fix her problem?

by Anonymousreply 33February 14, 2021 1:21 PM

[quote] She was a great actress. I think she could have been Kathy Bates great at some point.

Thanks for the laugh! Now I have to go clean the coffee off my laptop.

by Anonymousreply 34February 14, 2021 1:28 PM

R33 see r11

by Anonymousreply 35February 14, 2021 1:29 PM

She ate like Janet Jackson but died at like what, 36 years old? Sperber was funny in the show about fat girls, Babes.

by Anonymousreply 36February 14, 2021 1:36 PM

[quote] an ABC Afterschool Special ca. 1978 about someone shooting smack.

Are you stuck in 1978?

Shooting ‘smack’?

Lol

by Anonymousreply 37February 14, 2021 1:36 PM

Like Burt Reynolds, she could turn chicken shit into chicken salad. She was a joy in whatever she did and a mainstay of 80s films and TV.

by Anonymousreply 38February 14, 2021 1:42 PM

she died at age 47 of breast cancer, asshole r36

by Anonymousreply 39February 14, 2021 1:45 PM

She was one of those actors who made whatever project better with a little Sperber.

by Anonymousreply 40February 14, 2021 1:49 PM

R37, that was the name of the book on which the TV movie starring Sperber was based...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41February 14, 2021 1:54 PM

R39 and yet Jabba is still single-handedly keeping KFC alive. Sick world.

by Anonymousreply 42February 14, 2021 2:16 PM

did nat start this thread?

by Anonymousreply 43February 14, 2021 2:19 PM

She was also great in 1941 and stole every scene she was in

by Anonymousreply 44February 14, 2021 2:21 PM

Did she fuck Tom Hanks?

by Anonymousreply 45February 14, 2021 2:22 PM

She auditioned for Jan in Grease the movie and should have gotten it.

by Anonymousreply 46February 14, 2021 2:51 PM

Loved her in 'I want to hold your hand' (one of my favorite scenes is Wendie's character listening to the radio in the car and jumping out of it as the DJ announces that they are giving away tickets to the Sullivan show. She would just frantically throw a handful of dimes at the payphone and try to get through). I also loved her in 'Bosom Buddies'. I believe she was good friends with Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson. They quietly give their time to cancer charities Wendie Jo worked with.

by Anonymousreply 47February 14, 2021 3:04 PM

Was she in an episode of Seinfeld? George Costanza wants to extend his unemployment benefits and takes her on a date. She was the daughter of his unemployment benefits case worker. I remember her very nasal sounding "will you call me when you get home?" I think he had taken her to McDonald's for the date.

by Anonymousreply 48February 14, 2021 3:08 PM

No, r48, that wasn’t her.

by Anonymousreply 49February 14, 2021 3:10 PM

R10, I love you almost as much as WJS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50February 14, 2021 3:21 PM

Loved her. Gone too soon...

Brilliant casting for Bosom Buddies.

by Anonymousreply 51February 14, 2021 3:27 PM

Tom Hanks really seemed to like her so I would imagine seeing how she was diagnosed with cancer in 1997, had she lived and Hanks' stature grew in Hollywood, Wendie Jo would have probably gotten some good projects via that connection combined with her talent.

by Anonymousreply 52February 14, 2021 3:30 PM

She was funnier than Kathy Najimy. She could have had a career similar to Melissa McCarthy's.

by Anonymousreply 53February 14, 2021 3:38 PM

She was also good on an episode of "Married With Children" as one of Al's former high school girlfriends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54February 14, 2021 3:39 PM

LOL, R47, I remember her jumping out of that moving car in “I Wanna Hold Your Hand”, and throwing a handful of dimes at the pay phone! I think the dimes gag was done more than once in the movie, if memory serves.

by Anonymousreply 55February 14, 2021 3:39 PM

Wasn't she in an episode of Will and Grace? I just remember her in a scene with Grace and someone said, "open up a can of whoop ass." I was a sheltered child and had never heard that phrase before. I chuckled to myself for days.

by Anonymousreply 56February 14, 2021 3:40 PM

I loved her on Bosom Buddies when I was a little kid, and watched for her as I grew up, as she popped up in a lot of movies and tv shows. I think the last thing I saw her in was her episode of Will and Grace. I loved her, and never once saw her turn in a bad performance in anything. I was very sad when she died.

by Anonymousreply 57February 14, 2021 3:46 PM

It's surprising that a big-budget Spielberg movie would decide on using an unconvincing wig on her in "Back to the Future." They probably could have retro-styled her own hair and it would have looked more realistic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58February 14, 2021 3:48 PM

She was in an episode of Married With Children where she played an old girlfriend of Al's. Despite Al's jabs about her weight, she still came out ahead in the battle of the sexes. There was a strange similarity to the way he spoke to her and the way he spoke to Peggy, a familiarity that wasn't genuinely malicious the way he was towards other fat women.

by Anonymousreply 59February 14, 2021 3:50 PM

R58- Her and that other guy they were BOTH in I Wanna Hold Your Hand which had the same producer or director as Back To The Future. Neither of them belonged in BTTF. The other guy also was in Superman (1978) as Jimmy Olson.

by Anonymousreply 60February 14, 2021 4:23 PM

I didn't see in her Wiki profile whether she was Jewish, but I believe she was, and I think, like Madeline and Gilda, she was predisposed to cancer due to the BRCA gene.

(Correct me if I'm wrong....I know you bitches will)

by Anonymousreply 61February 14, 2021 4:54 PM

[quote] She auditioned for Jan in Grease the movie and should have gotten it.

She's too plump to be pink.

by Anonymousreply 62February 14, 2021 6:08 PM

[quote] She auditioned for Jan in Grease the movie and should have gotten it.

It wasn't filmed in Cinemascope!

by Anonymousreply 63February 14, 2021 8:11 PM

You guys and your fat jokes are straight off the 60s Catskills Twilight Family Dinner Comedy Circuit

by Anonymousreply 64February 14, 2021 9:20 PM

Not really funny to be cracking fat jokes about a really decent dead woman who died from cancer at a young age.

by Anonymousreply 65February 14, 2021 9:26 PM

She was a big-boned girl.

by Anonymousreply 66February 14, 2021 9:34 PM

My former partner was one of her best friends, so I met her several times. Lovely person. Hilarious and joyful. Just what you’d hope.

by Anonymousreply 67February 14, 2021 9:41 PM

[quote] the 60s Catskills Twilight Family Dinner Comedy Circuit

Ah, yes. The Borscht Belt. Remember it well.

by Anonymousreply 68February 14, 2021 9:45 PM

I Wanna Hold You hand was this mystical movie I remembered seeing as a kid once and was never able to figure out what it was. Many years ago it aired on Bravo Canada and I was happy as hell to finally see that I didn't imagine Eddie Deezen jumping through an elevator door and spitting out glass.

by Anonymousreply 69February 14, 2021 9:51 PM

[quote] Not really funny to be cracking fat jokes about a really decent dead woman who died from cancer at a young age.

Getta load of the one million moms president.

by Anonymousreply 70February 14, 2021 9:52 PM

I’m a man, R70, but whatever you need to tell yourself is fine by me.

by Anonymousreply 71February 14, 2021 9:58 PM

16 years ago is recently dead?

by Anonymousreply 72February 14, 2021 10:01 PM

"really decent," not "recently dead"

by Anonymousreply 73February 14, 2021 10:20 PM

She was one of my favorite 80s character actresses.

by Anonymousreply 74February 14, 2021 10:32 PM

I always liked her. Thought she was funny, pretty, and a good actress. I liked her voice!

by Anonymousreply 75February 14, 2021 10:38 PM

[quote] 16 years ago is recently dead?

Hey! To some of us 16 years ago is like this morning’s breakfast to you whippersnappers.

by Anonymousreply 76February 14, 2021 10:47 PM

On a related note, whatever happened to Eddie Deezen? Other than aging out of the nerd/dweeb young adult roles he specialized in. My favorite film of his was Midnight Madness which aslo had a young pre-fame Michael J Fox in it.

by Anonymousreply 77February 17, 2021 10:49 PM

I think she was in HUNK. I liked that movie and her in it.

by Anonymousreply 78February 17, 2021 10:51 PM

r77...its funny you mention Eddie Deezen...I was just about to post that I liked WJS in Used Cars, where she was teamed with Eddie Deezen as high schol students learning how to drive.

by Anonymousreply 79February 17, 2021 11:01 PM

She was in a very funny but short lived tv series called "Women In Prison." It had quite a cast: Peggy Cass, CCH Pounder, Denny Dillon, Wendie Jo and other talented actresses. I'm not sure why it got cancelled after only 13 episodes; it was considered quite risque for its time, maybe that was why. It had a hilarious theme song: "Poor little girl...now you're trapped in a cruel, craaazy world...while other girls make dates you make license plates...have them forward your mail...now you're in JAAAIIIILLL!"

by Anonymousreply 80February 17, 2021 11:12 PM

I remember her as very pretty and a joy to watch. I would say she had a presence. I’m very sorry she died so young.I agree that she would have made an excellent character actress over time, and that’s actually a great identity to have as an actor.

by Anonymousreply 81February 18, 2021 12:30 AM

She headlined her own series "Babes" - 3 overweight sisters share a bachelor apartment

Wendy Jo got top billing

Babes

Starring Wendy Jo Sperber

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82February 18, 2021 12:36 AM

R82- meet R22.

by Anonymousreply 83February 18, 2021 1:26 AM

Is "I Wanna Hold Your Hand " on any streaming services?

by Anonymousreply 84February 18, 2021 1:47 AM

"Dinky Hocker Shoots Smack was a terrible production of a good book. June Lockhart played the mother and a miscast Wendie Jo played the daughter."

I was obsessed with the novel as a young adult, but for some reason I never saw the after-school special. I just went over to Youtube and watched it. Good Lord, they really fucked it up, didn't they? It deserved so much better, like for starters a 90-minute running time, a theatrical release, and a good director. Why was Dinky the protagonist in the show? Tucker was the protagonist in the novel, and it should have stayed that way, with a far more charismatic actor like... I'm thinking Chris Makepeace?

Can you imagine what Jane Fonda or Ellen Burnstyn could have done with Mrs. Hocker? June Lockhart was a bizarre casting choice and just too old for the part (by the way, TIL June Lockhart is still alive!). Maureen Teefy was fine as Natalia because she had that bohemian thing going on. Wendie Jo would have been fine if Dinky had remained a supporting charter. The only one who really nailed it was Gary Springer as P. John; he was very good.

by Anonymousreply 85February 18, 2021 3:19 AM

[quote] Is "I Wanna Hold Your Hand " on any streaming services?

I'm not sure r84 but I highly recommend the Criterion edition Blu-ray of the film. It looks gorgeous and has some terrific special features. It was refreshing to see Criterion issue a fun comedy.

by Anonymousreply 86February 18, 2021 3:53 AM

I forget the setup but I remember laughing so hard as a kid when one of the guys makes a metaphor about Jack and the Beanstalk.

She misses the point and says perfectly: "you didn't even get the beans??!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 87February 18, 2021 4:34 AM

R33, that was Moving Violations. Such a good quality 80s comedy. I wanted to bang Bill Murrary's little brother

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88February 18, 2021 4:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!