Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

ABC's Revenge with Madeleine Stowe and Emily VanCamp

Ten years ago this fall the ABC sudsy nighttime drama REVENGE began.

Beautiful parties at the Hamptons. Beautiful rich people all miserable.

Hot men. Beautiful women. Zingers and twists.

Does anyone have any fond memories of this guilty pleasure?

I put Victoria Grayson right up there with the grand bitches of the nighttime soaps of the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 69July 13, 2021 3:28 AM

Yes, I enjoyed this modern version of "The Count of Monte Cristo".

by Anonymousreply 1February 9, 2021 6:56 AM

That 1st season was incredible, and Madeleine Stowe was so damn good as Victoria. Grayson. I was also in love with Josh Bowman, who played her son Daniel.

by Anonymousreply 2February 9, 2021 7:53 AM

It's one of those series with a brilliant first season that balanced ridiculous fun and suspense, and then promptly fell flat on its face, got up and stumbled around drunk and disoriented for several more seasons.

I'm not sure I remember everything exactly right but in my memory, the characters were great at first and then (SPOILER!!!) *of course* there were dumb plots about a pretty, skinny girl with a secret twin who is a martial arts assassin trained by a Japanese guru...I mean...was all that really necessary?

But Josh Bowman was gorgeous and the flamboyant gay dude was kind of fun for a while. And Justin Hartley kissed a guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 9, 2021 8:03 AM

Agree that it was such a good show to start with, which turned to crap that I literally couldn't keep watching it and missed like the last season of it so I have no idea how it ended up. R3 Nolan (the flamboyant one) was bisexual, not gay. He dated women as well as guys.

by Anonymousreply 4February 9, 2021 8:10 AM

R4 I'd care about the distinction if the writing had not been such a mess. I kind of feel like the writers probably didn't write him intentionally as bi but probably just forgot he had been written as gay. It got so sloppy and unhinged.

by Anonymousreply 5February 9, 2021 8:14 AM

Emily VanCamp has starred in three of my all time favorite shows, Revenge, Brothers & Sisters and Everwood. I didn't even realize she has a show on TV right now, The Resident on Fox.

by Anonymousreply 6February 9, 2021 8:17 AM

I only knew VanCamp from Brothers & Sisters, and part of the appeal of Revenge for me was seeing the actress who played that girl play out a revenger's tragedy. It was really goofy.

by Anonymousreply 7February 9, 2021 8:23 AM

Loved the first season. Stuck with it for two more, but it lost its mojo in season two and never recovered

by Anonymousreply 8February 9, 2021 10:26 AM

The first season was so fun...

The show plummeted downhill after that.

by Anonymousreply 9February 9, 2021 10:38 AM

[Quote] Ten years ago this fall the ABC sudsy nighttime drama REVENGE began.

Jesus.....it's really been [italic] that [/italic] long??

by Anonymousreply 10February 9, 2021 11:47 AM

Season 1 was sublime - camp as hell. Then, the show runner “left” and the resulting shitshow is what happened. Fun fact, creator Mike Kelley was the brains behind beloved by DL Swingtown.

by Anonymousreply 11February 9, 2021 11:55 AM

The story was supposed to end, not be dragged out for X number of seasons.

by Anonymousreply 12February 9, 2021 11:58 AM

One of my favorite characters was Lydia Davis...Amber Valletta looked the best she ever has and the way Victoria/Madeline tormented her was delicious.

by Anonymousreply 13February 9, 2021 12:04 PM

Bringing the father back from the dead was the nail in the coffin for me.

by Anonymousreply 14February 9, 2021 12:06 PM

I WILL DETROY YOU!

by Anonymousreply 15February 9, 2021 12:30 PM

Always had a thing for Henry Czerny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 9, 2021 12:44 PM

I always thought Emily VanCamp was batting out of her league, but they're still together so what do I know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 9, 2021 12:47 PM

The problem for me was I couldn't root for Emily's character. She was so smug. Stowe and Czerny stole the first season (and Stowe in general).

Like Desperate Housewives, a great first season and then diminishing returns.

by Anonymousreply 18February 9, 2021 12:51 PM

Yeah, S1 was great, and then it promptly went off the rails. Fast. Never could stand EVC. She sucks the life out of my TV.

by Anonymousreply 19February 9, 2021 12:52 PM

r11, Mike Kelley was still the showrunner in Season 2 and was responsible for the shitshow it became. He "left" (got fired?) after season 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 9, 2021 1:22 PM

It reminds me of Homeland - great first season, second season ok, then became unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 21February 9, 2021 3:21 PM

I believe Kelly was noted to death by the network during the second season.

Perhaps, this should have been a one-season show. Emily brings down the Graysons in the finale.

The season one cliffhanger -- Emily's mother -- still being alive was a shock; the casting wasn't so hot...

It was revealed that there was a group more powerful than Conrad, but then later, it was revealed that Conrad was the mastermind after all.

The show's look and characters enabled ABC to get four seasons in total, but it was clear after a time that the show had gone off the rails; I recall Emily throwing all the evidence she had against the G's in the ocean -- she had BIGGER plans! WTF

One highlight after the first season was Victoria's showdown with Helen when Helen demanded some evidence that Victoria had in the pool house safe.

It's nearly every mother in law's fantasy to give their daughter in law to be a beautifully wrapped empty box because she knows her son will change his mind. That was a cool moment in season 1.

Even the way Victoria read the combination to Helen (to distract her) showed how often she was in control.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 9, 2021 4:23 PM

I was thrilled when Declan was killed off.

that guy was super annoying, tho, I wondered how much pain Jack could take losing his dad, Sammy, and his brother.

by Anonymousreply 23February 9, 2021 4:24 PM

Declan is a Bernie-Bro.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 9, 2021 5:08 PM

This was Madelines show. The rest were just bit players. I also stopped watching after season 2 .

by Anonymousreply 25February 9, 2021 5:25 PM

he stopped growing but he's continuing to age; there's a window that actors like that have...he was playing 17 on Revenge. He's 30 or 31 now...

I'd seen him in a Law & Order: SVU ahead of its time where he had a web cam show that made a ton of money; one of his patrons kidnapped him and tied him to a bed, raping him until Elliot came in and saved him.

by Anonymousreply 26February 9, 2021 5:25 PM

Was that an episode of L&O, R26, or just a regular Saturday night for Connor?

by Anonymousreply 27February 9, 2021 5:29 PM

WHET Madeleine Stowe?

by Anonymousreply 28February 9, 2021 5:30 PM

I was the original Victoria in the pilot, but when the show got picked up, I was contracted to a Broadway run.

by Anonymousreply 29February 9, 2021 5:39 PM

Wasn't Connor Paolo a gayhater? I remember reading he quit Gossip Girl because he couldn't stand that his character, Eric Van Der Woodsen, was a preferrer of pole.

by Anonymousreply 30February 9, 2021 5:46 PM

[quote] Wasn't Connor Paolo a gayhater? I remember reading he quit Gossip Girl because he couldn't stand that his character, Eric Van Der Woodsen, was a preferrer of pole.

Just another self-loathing closet case trying to divert attention away from his sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 31February 9, 2021 5:55 PM

WHET Madeleine Stowe, She had a 10 episode minor role in something called Soundtrack in 2019 and one other role in one episode of another TV series in 2016? She was the star of Revenge and almost nothing after that. What the hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 9, 2021 6:55 PM

I honestly can't remember Connor on Revenge. I only know him as Eric on Gossip Girl.

by Anonymousreply 33February 9, 2021 10:01 PM

Loved this show. It definitely got bad towards the end but the first two seasons were extremely fun.

by Anonymousreply 34February 9, 2021 10:27 PM

10 years ago? Fuck I'm old.

by Anonymousreply 35February 9, 2021 11:04 PM

Supposedly, ABC brass messed with the show a lot after S1. The Shonda Rhimes formula was being applied liberally to every ABC show - over the top soapiness - and apparently a lot of the changes for S2 were the network.

by Anonymousreply 36February 10, 2021 1:14 AM

I can't believe it's been 15 years since The Sally Field Programme. Like Revenge, I liked EvC for one season there, and then she worked my nerves.

by Anonymousreply 37February 10, 2021 1:15 AM

Madeline Stowe was one of my last female crushes before I hit puberty and hopped on the gay train. I remember being mesmerized by her in Last of the Mohicans. Looking back, had I been an adult when that came out I would’ve gone nuts seeing Madeline and DDL (both at the peak of their beauty) together.

by Anonymousreply 38February 10, 2021 1:18 AM

I loved this show. The last 2 seasons were shitty, but I still loved it

Emily VanCamp films the Resident in a studio across the street from my job

by Anonymousreply 39February 10, 2021 3:29 AM

Brothers and Sisters was a mess throughout the show's five seasons. Remember the show introduced a long-lost Walker (love child) son named Ryan...only to drop him only a few episodes later.

by Anonymousreply 40February 10, 2021 4:01 AM

Does anyone remember Red Widow? It's time slot was after Revenge.

It starred Radha Mitchell and the hunky Goran Višnjić.

Too bad it only lasted for one season. I actually liked it.

by Anonymousreply 41February 10, 2021 4:04 AM

Whoops, brain fart. Trying again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42February 10, 2021 4:05 AM

Emily VanCamp is the WORST actress!

by Anonymousreply 43February 10, 2021 4:06 AM

Love season 1, pretend it's the only season. That said, Season 3 had a perfect ending and should've been THE END.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44February 10, 2021 4:09 AM

Connor was only cast, because he made tiny Nick Wechsler, who played his brother, look taller.

by Anonymousreply 45February 10, 2021 4:12 AM

i loved season 1 and 2 after that it sucked. I hated Declan too.

by Anonymousreply 46February 10, 2021 4:13 AM

I forgot all about this show until recently when the chick who played Madeline Stowe's daughter complained that she wasn't invited to the upcoming reunion. After making it public, the producers invited her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 10, 2021 4:16 AM

I remember the outrage on DL that the dog was still alive (so it could recognize Emily).

by Anonymousreply 48February 10, 2021 4:20 AM

I've never watched this. I saw it available on Netflix. Is it worth it?

by Anonymousreply 49February 10, 2021 4:21 AM

It really wasn't as grand as OP makes it out to be in this thread opener. Just glossy fun for 1 season. Sheesh!

by Anonymousreply 50February 10, 2021 4:25 AM

R49 watch season 1

by Anonymousreply 51February 10, 2021 4:45 AM

I wish they cast someone else in the lead role. The problem is EVC is not a very strong actress. She didn't have the chops or the vulnerability to make you root for her. Stowe was so strong and brought so much to Victoria that sometimes you rooted for her simply because Victoria was a much more interesting character.

by Anonymousreply 52February 10, 2021 5:27 AM

Emily doesn't seem to have trouble finding work. Don't think she's too popular with the Marvel fandom though.

by Anonymousreply 53February 10, 2021 5:34 AM

I loved this show the first couple of seasons, and hung in all the way to the stupid end. Amanda and Daniel got married IRL a year or two ago.

by Anonymousreply 54February 10, 2021 5:41 AM

Emily gives me strong Ivanka Trump carefully modulated speaking voice vibes.

by Anonymousreply 55February 10, 2021 1:40 PM

is Gabriel Mann (Nolan) gay IRL?

by Anonymousreply 56February 10, 2021 2:23 PM

[quote] is Gabriel Mann (Nolan) gay IRL?

Exhibit A.

The prosecution rests.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57February 10, 2021 2:56 PM

I had great hopes for this show but, yeah, too bad about all the subplots and revelations that were too tedious to take in. It was fabulous when it first started out. Sad when they dropped the ball. I really wish they could have saved it. Got really stupid at the end.

by Anonymousreply 58February 10, 2021 3:10 PM

This Emily woman has been dating Josh Bowman for a decade now, married to him for 2 and a half years, is 35 years old and STILL childless. What ever happened to modern females? Their grandmas used to have 4 kids, their moms 2 and all they have instead is a couple miscarriages and a pup. Useless woman!

by Anonymousreply 59July 4, 2021 12:38 AM

Nick Wechsler, short king

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 4, 2021 12:44 AM

I loved the soundtrack. They always featured some great songs to fit the vibe.

I always wished they had used the Eurythmics' song Revenge at some point. It has that dark sauntering aura.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 4, 2021 12:48 AM

61 replies and no mention of Barry Sloane?

by Anonymousreply 62July 4, 2021 1:01 AM

For being a shitty actress, EVC has certainly had a pretty good career.

by Anonymousreply 63July 4, 2021 1:17 AM

I think they made a big mistake with the secret society / international conspiracy plot and turning EVC's character into some sort of Batman anti-hero (being trained by some Asian martial arts master guru who specializes on people out for revenge).

I would have been perfectly happy with a local cat & mouse feud between Emily & Victoria while Emily checks off her revenge list one by one and then realizing that none of it mattered in the end and she screwed herself over with her life remaining empty and bitter (having pushed away Jack, Aiden, and Daniel with her blind obsession with revenge).

by Anonymousreply 64July 4, 2021 1:41 AM

I never watched this in the first run, I'm now early in Season 1. Madeleine Stowe is SO beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 65July 13, 2021 2:17 AM

ABC must have forced her to lose weight for the series because Emily Van Camp was a fatty in Brothers And Sisters

by Anonymousreply 66July 13, 2021 2:26 AM

Remember when Josh had that lol summer fling with Amy Winehouse in the Caribbean?!

by Anonymousreply 67July 13, 2021 2:55 AM

I loved this for the first couple of seasons…I don’t even remember if I watched it to the end. I hated that Margarita chick who played Amanda. Hated her on The Deuce, too.

by Anonymousreply 68July 13, 2021 3:08 AM

It's odd. I was actually a fan of Madeleine Stowe and I don't remember there was ever such a show as Revenge. Even though it came on directly following Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 which I always watched. Overall 2011 was a lousy year for television.

by Anonymousreply 69July 13, 2021 3:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!