Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Can someone explain to me what happened to Emma Stone?

She was seemingly everywhere just a few years ago, and now seems to do voice work, a few shorts, and maybe a tv show in preproduction? Seems super charming and talented from her films and interviews. Seemed like such promise, yet little has happened for her in the last 5 years.

by Anonymousreply 76December 17, 2021 4:10 AM

She got old (hit 30)

by Anonymousreply 1February 8, 2021 11:09 PM

What R1 said. She's up the Hollywood hill and now about to hurtle down the hillside, hitting every bush along the way.

by Anonymousreply 2February 8, 2021 11:11 PM

She’s in hiding, OP.

No, seriously, it seems she’s concentrating on her personal life. She connected with a SNL writer after hosting the show, around the time you mention.

They became serious and scheduled a big wedding this year. Because of Covid, it was cancelled. It does appear they quietly married anyway.

Now she’s pregnant and likely due any day. Combine that with pandemic-wrought changes and voila!

She’s stepped off the radar.

Good timing for her, though, as things are slow.

Will be interesting to see how - or if - she pops back up once the pandemic subsides.

by Anonymousreply 3February 9, 2021 1:47 AM

Limited talent.

by Anonymousreply 4February 9, 2021 1:50 AM

Like Rachel Mcadams before her, she aged out. Ryan Gosling will be costarring with some other 25 year old redhead soon.

by Anonymousreply 5February 9, 2021 1:53 AM

It's called Covid-19 OP, she was nominated for an Oscar less than two years ago.

by Anonymousreply 6February 9, 2021 1:58 AM

[quote] yet little has happened for her in the last 5 years.

She was nominated for another Oscar just two years ago, and like R3 said she's starting her family. Her next major project is the Cruella prequel, which could go either way, but I'm sure she'll be a blast in it.

She had an exceptional run from 07 to 18. I'm interested in seeing where her career goes from here on out. The Favourite contained some of her most interesting, mature work. We'll see how she ages out of the ingenue roles. She should host SNL to promote Cruella.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 9, 2021 1:59 AM

I always thought Emma Stone resembled Lindsay Lohan - even though Lindsay is older.

by Anonymousreply 8February 9, 2021 2:01 AM

Her eyes now bug out a little too far and it will only get worse.

by Anonymousreply 9February 9, 2021 2:03 AM

She proved her chops in Cabaret on Broadway so she'll at least have a home if movie roles dry up. That's why it's always smart for movie stars to do stage work, especially women, so they have somewhere to go when the movie gigs dry up.

by Anonymousreply 10February 9, 2021 2:08 AM

R8 wasn’t it commonly known that she was the Lindsay Lohan replacement? All the work that train wreck Lyndz fucked up went to Stone

by Anonymousreply 11February 9, 2021 2:13 AM

Is she still in contact with Andrew Garfield?

by Anonymousreply 12February 9, 2021 2:21 AM

Rachel McAdams and Emma Stone both appear to be prioritizing their private lives: partnerships, children, homes, etc. They both are private individuals: no social media and limited engagements. It appears their personal lives are important. The female ageism in this thread is funny. Many moons ago, female actors were considered over the hill at thirty.

That’s no longer the case.

by Anonymousreply 13February 9, 2021 2:22 AM

I think she peaked and is not that interesting.

by Anonymousreply 14February 9, 2021 2:26 AM

She won an Oscar in 2017 and was nominated in 2015 and 2019 in 3 films which were best picture nominees including Birdman which won Best Picture. She has several projects in post production and either is pregnant or recently gave birth. That's what happened. She's living her life.

by Anonymousreply 15February 9, 2021 2:28 AM

It's mind-boggling when 58-year-old fat farts said that a 30-year-old woman is old. Oh, please.

by Anonymousreply 16February 9, 2021 2:37 AM

She's another Reese Witherspoon, who in her 20's followed a similar trajectory of playing those bulshy, unapologetic characters and got awards and recognition. I think she'll struggle in her 30's but then have a comeback in her 40's when she can play the crazy mom roles.

by Anonymousreply 17February 9, 2021 2:38 AM

She just won the Best Actress Oscar we’re not talking about Trini Alvarado or Jane Adams.

by Anonymousreply 18February 9, 2021 2:38 AM

I like her but she is old for Hollywood of today. No one wants to support an actress in her 30’s anymore, unless she has hits.

by Anonymousreply 19February 9, 2021 2:47 AM

We are just reflecting the reality of Hollywood. Luckily some great tv spots have come along for actresses like Kidman and other stars who maybe can’t get the same kind of movie roles they used to

by Anonymousreply 20February 9, 2021 2:59 AM

Her Oscar win is one of the most laughable wins

by Anonymousreply 21February 9, 2021 3:01 AM

Emma is doing exactly what Anne Hathaway did and Jennifer Lawrence did. She won her Oscar. She got married. She is like, 20 months pregnant as we speak, and will be delivering any moment. Now Jennifer Lawrence her bestie, is not pregnant and is back to making movies, she also dropped out of sight for a while to hook up with her man and get married. Hathaway has managed to have two kids extremely low key. She's back at work too, has been for a while...as if anyone noticed.

Now I will offer gratuitous speculation: Taylor Swift is very likely married and pregnant as we speak. She is Emma's bestie.

by Anonymousreply 22February 9, 2021 3:06 AM

I heard she's up for a role where she plays a grandmother who gets custody of her daughter's four teenagers.

by Anonymousreply 23February 9, 2021 4:05 AM

Anne Hathaway is in her 50’s

by Anonymousreply 24February 9, 2021 6:11 AM

Anne Hathaway is 38.

by Anonymousreply 25February 9, 2021 4:00 PM

I love her; she's hilarious. So much more talented than Lindsay Lohan.

by Anonymousreply 26February 9, 2021 4:13 PM

She's starring in Yorgos Lanthimos's follow up to The Favourite - it sounds *very* strange. I think she will be fine.

by Anonymousreply 27February 9, 2021 4:32 PM

Why are you comparing Emma to Anne Hathaway? Anne is like early-50s and not up for the same roles. Emma is still young.

by Anonymousreply 28February 9, 2021 6:03 PM

Emma is only 25 or 26. Anne Hathaway is like 52.

by Anonymousreply 29February 9, 2021 6:15 PM

Poor r29 has a touch of the dementia.

by Anonymousreply 30February 9, 2021 7:43 PM

What do you mean? Anne Hathaway looks amazing for a woman in her 70s!

by Anonymousreply 31February 9, 2021 7:59 PM

Perhaps she can become relevant again in her 60s... or not.

After all, acting is a... fatal attraction... for actresses of a certain age.

by Anonymousreply 32February 9, 2021 8:10 PM

Celebrities these days have to give the public a break. Hathaway, Lawrence and Swift are examples of performers who had to take a step back because people were sick of them.

by Anonymousreply 33February 9, 2021 11:42 PM

I like that Stone and McAdams are not media whores. I like them both as actresses and they are not on social media 24/7. There is something to be said about keeping some mystique and making the work the focus.

Stone is taking a bit of a break which is well-deserved.

by Anonymousreply 34February 9, 2021 11:55 PM

Isabelle put a curse on her.

by Anonymousreply 35February 10, 2021 12:13 AM

I don't think she deserved her Oscar for La La Land, but perhaps I am biased as I hated every single thing about the execrable and highly unrealistic La La Land.

by Anonymousreply 36February 10, 2021 12:15 AM

Like any other actress, if you aged and had a bad personality, people just stopped working with you. There are always plenty of more pretty face. Not many pretty actress can still get jobs while getting old.

by Anonymousreply 37February 10, 2021 12:18 AM

Did she ever say she regretted working for Woody Allen?

by Anonymousreply 38February 12, 2021 4:50 AM

R38 Not that I'm aware of and personally I don't think any actor should feel they need to apologise for working with Woody Allen and I'm very much team Mia.

by Anonymousreply 39February 12, 2021 5:04 AM

She's doing bit parts, sadly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 12, 2021 5:05 AM

Stars are everywhere until they win an Oscar and then they can dial it back and focus on more prestigious stuff and let the work come to them if they are lucky.

by Anonymousreply 41February 12, 2021 5:17 AM

Isabelle Huppert lost to this skank. What a travesty!

by Anonymousreply 42February 12, 2021 5:22 AM

If someone works constantly, we hate them for being in our face. If they take a break, we think they're dead. What do you want, OP?

by Anonymousreply 43February 12, 2021 5:27 AM

I don't know. I like that she did the clip at R40. She has been around and I believe she is well liked. She'll be okay.

by Anonymousreply 44February 12, 2021 5:30 AM

Emma Stone is interesting insofar as her Woody Allen films. Certainly, Magic In The Moonlight was a lamentable lark, yet Irrational Man opposite Joaquin Phoenix was something of a tour de force. While Scarlett Johansson certainly owns the mantle of Woody’s 21st century muse, given that Match Point is among his best (his self-proclaimed favorite of his films) and Vicky Cristina Barcelona is an Oscar-winning delight, it would be instructive to see in a parallel universe (thanks Ronan & Mia!) what could have been with a strong female cast aka Hannah & Her Sisters and/or Interiors had things been different.

by Anonymousreply 45February 12, 2021 5:31 AM

R45 his movie with Timmy, Selena and Elle Fanning was garbage. Elle's part was particularly badly written and whoever passed her that script should be beaten

by Anonymousreply 46February 12, 2021 5:33 AM

R46 Timmy couldn’t handle that role at all. It felt like amateur theatre.

by Anonymousreply 47February 12, 2021 5:35 AM

She’s ok. Not a great actress in my opinion. I can tell she’s acting.

by Anonymousreply 48February 12, 2021 5:36 AM

Agreed, R47. Woody is wont to cast the hottest star of the moment and Timmy didn’t come through, though the script was no great shakes to begin with, unfortunately. I guess we will never know what scenes were cut or how the film would have been different had he made a stronger impact... with, paradoxically, Selena Gomez being somewhat wonderful against all odds.

by Anonymousreply 49February 12, 2021 5:40 AM

Selena was a highlight, but Elle's character was written as though she was born with severe brain damage and just wandered out of a care facility.

by Anonymousreply 50February 12, 2021 5:43 AM

Emma poses for Louis Vuitton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51February 12, 2021 5:46 AM

I just watched some clips of Rainy Day on YouTube and, performances aside, the writing's incredibly dull. Selena was lively, and I bet that had more to do with her Wizards of Waverly Place training. Timothee seemed too in his head, as if he knew he was in a Woody Allen picture and needed to [italic]be[/italic] that archetype, but was totally off putting. I usually love Elle, but have no interest in watching her play a flustered ditz. Granted, these were just selected scenes, but is the entire film like this?

I actually liked Irrational Man, from what I remember. It moved quickly, had fine performances, and didn't seem to get in its own way. Never saw Moonlight, but it doesn't surprise me that Emma was Woody's muse for a second. She's talked about Diane Keaton being a huge inspiration.

by Anonymousreply 52February 12, 2021 5:49 AM

Well having to believe Joaquin as a philosophy professor was a big ask so no wonder Emma stole the show.

by Anonymousreply 53February 12, 2021 5:52 AM

Agreed, R50. In many ways, it seems like A Rainy Day in New York, just from the title, would have been a seminal film in Woody Allen’s canon, yet it didn’t come together at all. I wonder how much the Mia/Ronan/etc. drama infected the entire enterprise. I guess we will never know, but I do think Timmy wasn’t a Leo or even a Matthew Goode and the final film mitigates the dramatic losses.

by Anonymousreply 54February 12, 2021 5:52 AM

She's the new Cruella de Ville. Sort of ironic that she is taking G's old role.

She sort of cost G the Oscar by going supporting for The Favourite when she was the lead thus pushing Oliva Colman to lead and her winning.

BTW she kisses Colman way too long when Colman wins. Yuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 12, 2021 6:00 AM

R54 it would've come out and been rightly torn to shreds by critics. In a way, Ronan and Mia spared him that embarrassment. I can only imagine what kind of press tour Elle would've done. I' m generally a fan of her and this role is best left buried and forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 56February 12, 2021 6:04 AM

Given all that has come to pass, with Woody in his 80s and this crazy world and all of the fallout from the allegations, it would be such a “fuck you” if he assembled all of his great actresses to do an epic film together aka Ozon’s 8 Women.

DIane Keaton, Scarlett Johansson, Dianne Wiest, Anjelica Huston, Penelope Cruz, Emma Stone, Kathy Bates, Naomi Watts, etc. all support Woody Allen. What a coup that would be!

by Anonymousreply 57February 12, 2021 6:11 AM

R57 that would require him to have one last great script in him. He should've retired at Blue Jasmine.

by Anonymousreply 58February 12, 2021 6:13 AM

The Winter’s Tale was Shakespeare’s final play and perhaps Woody has that in him, especially writing for female characters. Stranger things have happened... if not, there’s always Hannah & Her Sisters.

by Anonymousreply 59February 12, 2021 6:19 AM

The Tempest was Shakespeare's final play

by Anonymousreply 60February 12, 2021 6:27 AM

Actually, the final Henry VIII and the rewrite of The Two Noble Kinsmen are the final plays, if we’re doing that. But, no The Winter’s Tale is considered by scholars to be his last.

by Anonymousreply 61February 12, 2021 6:33 AM

So he wrote The Tempest before but it wasn't produced?

It is usually last on the list of plays (not counting the disputed ones.)

by Anonymousreply 62February 12, 2021 6:36 AM

And, to keep it on topic, Emma Stone would be a great Hermione.

by Anonymousreply 63February 12, 2021 6:36 AM

she just had a great time in the recording booth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64February 13, 2021 1:31 AM

She decided to go into acting.

by Anonymousreply 65February 13, 2021 3:29 AM

First image of her Cruella.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 17, 2021 5:34 AM

First image of her Cruella.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67February 17, 2021 5:34 AM

She is supposedly set to be cast as the evil villain in the remake of the 70's blaxploitation movie "Foxy Brown."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68December 17, 2021 1:58 AM

If they ever do that sequel to Mean Girls McAdams has talked about, she'd be perfect to replace Lohan.

by Anonymousreply 69December 17, 2021 2:09 AM

ES and LiLo have a similar appearance but Lohan is the greater beauty.

by Anonymousreply 70December 17, 2021 3:05 AM

They do look and sound similar. Both have a similar husky cigs and whisky voice. Emma isn't a natural redhead though. Lindsay in her late teens was quite gorgeous. While Emma had a more tomboyish girl next door vibe. Emma is certainly smarter and more talented. She transitioned from a teen star to a Hollywood actress and worked at her craft. It helps Emma was a theatre kid with good parents. Upper middle class. So more disciplined.

by Anonymousreply 71December 17, 2021 3:12 AM

The APPALLING dumbass setups by trolling attention seeking eldergay whores. Stone has not been gone for 5 years.

I HATE OP and this sort of shit. Its shitty shitty shitty lies and misdirects. Just for hits. shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty

by Anonymousreply 72December 17, 2021 3:36 AM

I agree that in her prime, Lohan was more beautiful than Emma. But these days, Lohan looks 50 while Emma has kept her bloom.

You couldn't do a Mean Girls sequel with Lohan unless one of the subplots was Cady's wicked meth habit.

by Anonymousreply 73December 17, 2021 3:40 AM

That clip at R40 was fucking hysterical.

I now love Emma Stone.

by Anonymousreply 74December 17, 2021 3:43 AM

Stone always brings it on SNL. I love the actress skit, but the poster skits are also funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75December 17, 2021 3:51 AM

she was just nominated for a GG for Cruella

by Anonymousreply 76December 17, 2021 4:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!