Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Just Watched the 1933 movie "42nd Street." Why was Ruby Keeler Considered a Good Dancer?

She tap danced with all the grace and elegance of a Clydesdale - clompity-clomp-clomp-clomp. And she looked down at her nasty hooves the whole time.

Anybody else ever seen this movie and wondered how this woman became a star?

by Anonymousreply 18February 10, 2021 1:03 PM

I've always thought that, too. And she sang flat.

by Anonymousreply 1February 7, 2021 7:47 PM

And such a bad actress.

by Anonymousreply 2February 7, 2021 7:48 PM

Ginger Rogers eclipsed her in popularity for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 3February 7, 2021 7:48 PM

The bar must have been really low back then. She was awful:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 7, 2021 7:54 PM

No one thought she was a good dancer, including herself. She succeeded on her plucky charm that won over Depression-era audiences in need of a spiritual lift.

Her movie career only lasted a short time in the 30s. She was over by the end of the decade.

Then came her surprise comeback in 1971 on Broadway with "No, No Nanette." She and the musical became a nostalgic hit of middle-aged theater-goers and younger audiences.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 7, 2021 7:57 PM

She was married to Al Jolson.

by Anonymousreply 6February 7, 2021 7:57 PM

At 14 or 15, she was apparently working at a gangsters' speakeasy. From there she went to Ziegfeld (how is only your guess) and by 19, she was married to superstar Al Jolson who was 42.

She may have had some innocent flower charisma but I don't think innocence or talent had anything to do with her rise to fame.

by Anonymousreply 7February 7, 2021 8:05 PM

I rewatched that movie a couple weeks ago too. It sure isn't as good as I remember it.

by Anonymousreply 8February 7, 2021 8:05 PM

Bebe Daniels is wonderful in it.

by Anonymousreply 9February 7, 2021 8:10 PM

My friend and I watched it way back in college in the 80's and then we would sometimes do the "Ruby Keeler stomp" for fun (yes, we were gay). So no, you're not the first one to notice her bad dancing.

by Anonymousreply 10February 7, 2021 8:29 PM

All this time, I've thought she was married to Dick Powell after Joan Blondell was. Turns out that was June Allyson. (Why, though?)

by Anonymousreply 11February 7, 2021 9:41 PM

Her husband got her the job.

by Anonymousreply 12February 7, 2021 9:49 PM

She and Dick Powell were the leading sweetheart couple of the early 30s. They made a string of hit musicals for Warner Bros, with the inventive Busby Berkeley directing. At least Powell could sing well.

The movies were pre-Code, so they were also surprisingly explicit, such as the "Petting in the Park" number.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 10, 2021 12:23 PM

More of "Pettin in the Park" with Billy Barty as a lecherous toddler.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 10, 2021 12:26 PM

Here it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 10, 2021 12:28 PM

Warner Baxter plays the most hyper, shouty man-bitch in Pre-Code movies.

He's like the nightmare gay choral or theater director we've all had in high school.

by Anonymousreply 16February 10, 2021 12:44 PM

Wasn't pushing into the floor, a certain heavy footed quality, a hallmark of hoofing? It wasn't graceful nor was it meant to be.

by Anonymousreply 17February 10, 2021 1:01 PM

Ruby Keeler said later that Al Jolson was a drunken abusive husband. She finally divorced him after 12 years and married a businessman that she stayed married to until his death.

Fun fact: Pugsley on the original Addams Family, Ken Weatherwax, was her nephew.

by Anonymousreply 18February 10, 2021 1:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!