Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The supertall tower where J-Lo once lived is becoming a slum

Since 432 Park Avenue was erected in Manhattan half a decade ago, members of the ultrawealthy have shelled out millions of dollars — in one case, as much as $88 million — to get their own luxury condos in one of the tallest buildings on “Billionaire’s Row.” But what was once believed to be a literal pinnacle of high living has turned out to be the most wretched of hellholes: The $3.1 billion building is falling apart, largely due to its unreasonable height and design flaws. And its billionaire residents — who are butting heads not only with developers but with one another — are dismayed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234June 27, 2021 3:02 AM

They can fix the elevators and plumbing but there is nothing much they can do about the height.

by Anonymousreply 1February 4, 2021 6:52 AM

J-Lo's listing was on the 36th floor. She lived there for less than 5 months.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 4, 2021 6:55 AM

I doubt j.ho even stayed at that place for more than a week.

by Anonymousreply 3February 4, 2021 6:56 AM

It looks as though it will fall any minute.

It is unnatural; it is a Tower of Babel that God had to destroy.

by Anonymousreply 4February 4, 2021 6:57 AM

The view:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 4, 2021 6:59 AM

Like the building, JLo is a symbol of broken, empty and morally bankrupt wealth.

by Anonymousreply 6February 4, 2021 7:04 AM

Alex and JLo moved out because someone took a photograph of A-Rod texting while sitting on the toilet.

His monogrammed towel is hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 4, 2021 7:19 AM

Interesting because my roommate is just working on a series of articles and studies which I am also doing the stats on that shows that buildings like this are quickly becoming "ghost towers". With WFH, particularly in Manhattan and other top-tier business centers, the landlords and investors will have to think of a way to re-invent the space that so much money was put into. In fact, most recently Governor Cuomo was (probably delusional) stating that, if WFH continues indefinitely, he wants to enact legislation whereby a five year plan can be devised to turn this into affordable housing. I really don't think that would happen. On the other hand, it is true that firms will have to either think of how much space they need once people go back (at least temporarily) or landlords will have to change lease agreements because right now, a whole lot of companies are thinking of indefinite work from home.

by Anonymousreply 8February 4, 2021 7:24 AM

The building sounds like it should be renamed as a Trump Tower.

Tower of shit.

by Anonymousreply 9February 4, 2021 7:33 AM

A fun short video would be a still picture of the tower with the sound of someone running down the stairs, pausing, sound of running down the stairs, pausing....like the animations Terry Gilliam did for Monty Python.

by Anonymousreply 10February 4, 2021 7:34 AM

I'm a bit confused about the "restaurant fee" at this building. This place has a Michelin star chef just for residents. It's a $15,000 fee upfront, plus a guarantee to spend a minimum amount on dining at the restaurant?

[quote]Developers and residents of such buildings say private restaurants rarely make enough money to cover their expenses. Managers of private restaurants say their operations can cost $1,000 a day, or more, just to staff. So in addition to their usual monthly charges to maintain the building and cover staffing, residents typically also pay fees to keep the restaurant going, plus a minimum dining charge. Another challenge: the limited clientele means the flow of business can be hard to predict. At 432 Park, developer Harry Macklowe estimates that only about half the building’s apartments will be occupied full-time. So he worked with restaurant designers at Bentel & Bentel to come up with a grand space that would feel bustling even with only one or two tables filled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 4, 2021 7:37 AM

HAHAHAHAHAH I don’t give a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 12February 4, 2021 7:39 AM

R7 At least they didn't catch him picking his nose as a photographer did when Dim Rod was dating Cameron Diaz. I hope he cleans his phone well. He's so gross and so is J-Low!

by Anonymousreply 13February 4, 2021 7:42 AM

It only started to go downhill when J Lo moved in, obviously

by Anonymousreply 14February 4, 2021 7:43 AM

While there have been some fairly attractive residential talls built in Manhattan over the past few years, this is not one of them. The dimensions of this building creep me out. The building is only 93.5 feet in width and length (the equivalent of 15 six-foot people lying down head to toe on the street), yet the building tops out at 1,396 feet tall.

by Anonymousreply 15February 4, 2021 8:07 AM

You bitches disappoint again. The NYTimes commentary section is way wittier than what I read here.

by Anonymousreply 16February 4, 2021 8:11 AM

Here's another article from today's NYT.

"73 percent of mechanical, electrical and plumbing components observed failed to conform with the developers’ drawings, and ... almost a quarter “presented actual life safety issues.”

Bwahahahaha! Weep for the endangered billionaires!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 4, 2021 8:11 AM

As always JLo brings bad luck everywhere she goes.

by Anonymousreply 18February 4, 2021 8:14 AM

What kind of a fire system must this building have? There must be an ungodly amount of water sitting at the top of the building. And as it's only the same width as six cars parked bumper to bumper, that fire will have no place to go except up. And all that creaking and groaning? Too many things can go wrong with a building like this.

by Anonymousreply 19February 4, 2021 8:25 AM

It’s “High Rise” come to life! An underrated movie, I thought. The novel was even creepier.

I hate this building; it’s a blight on the Manhattan landscape.

by Anonymousreply 20February 4, 2021 8:34 AM

[quote] someone took a photograph of A-Rod texting while sitting on the toilet.

Hmm, he must've taken pics of him getting up and showing his dick as well. Too bad he didn't post them.

by Anonymousreply 21February 4, 2021 8:34 AM

Is this the building that had a different entrance for the poors?

by Anonymousreply 22February 4, 2021 8:43 AM

I suspect this building is mainly a tool for money laundering.

by Anonymousreply 23February 4, 2021 8:45 AM

Call Al Qaeda.

by Anonymousreply 24February 4, 2021 8:45 AM

432 is one of the better looking buildings and probably my favorite of the super talls.

by Anonymousreply 25February 4, 2021 8:49 AM

It even looks like the Poltergeist 3 tower. I'd expect to see Zelda Rubinstein found the gateway to hell there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 4, 2021 8:49 AM

I think the sweet spot in Manhattan and Hong Kong is much lower than 70, 80, 90th floor. You want something with clear views of a good cityscape, but lower, 30-40. 50 maybe. So you are above it all, but still in the middle of the skyline, with views taking the eye higher, and lower.

by Anonymousreply 27February 4, 2021 10:17 AM

That's a shame.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 4, 2021 10:21 AM

Yikes, can you imagine launching a bag of wet stinky heavy garbage down the trash chute from the 60th floor? BAM BANG KABOOM!

by Anonymousreply 29February 4, 2021 10:56 AM

R26 it looks nothing like the John Hancock Center which is 50 years old and is probably one of the best constructed supertalls in the world

R26 = blind bat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 4, 2021 10:56 AM

No, r22. There are no poors in this building.

by Anonymousreply 31February 4, 2021 11:01 AM

I hate that building. It’s ugly, creepy, and makes me uneasy. It ruins that part of the Manhattan skyline.

by Anonymousreply 32February 4, 2021 11:08 AM

R32 there is a whole row of them you know.

by Anonymousreply 33February 4, 2021 11:09 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 4, 2021 11:11 AM

[quote]They can fix the elevators and plumbing but there is nothing much they can do about the height.

They can fix the elevators and plumbing but there is nothing much they can do about the occupants.

There, fixed it for you.

by Anonymousreply 35February 4, 2021 11:14 AM

I told you all, but did anyone listen to me? These billionaire towers blighting the once-ravishing Manhattan skyline are a plague of Cabrini Greens.

by Anonymousreply 36February 4, 2021 11:25 AM

R7 Nothing beats the feeling of shelling out $15,000 to dine and knowing Alex Rodriguez is right above you shitting.

by Anonymousreply 37February 4, 2021 11:28 AM

Vignoly should be tarred and feathered for this abomination. All those Starchitects are whores and should be held accountable for the crimes they support.

by Anonymousreply 38February 4, 2021 11:31 AM

So, this is how evolution works on the extremely wealthy, their buildings kill them.

by Anonymousreply 39February 4, 2021 11:36 AM

Besides the height, I think it's the lack of balconies that gives the building such an uneasy look about it. It has a featureless finish to make such a freakishly slender building look more solid, but I believe the finish backfires here. And no windows that open, so you don't even have the option of jumping if something goes wrong. Even just a couple of balconies or something to break the symmetry would make it look more relatable on a human scale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 4, 2021 12:09 PM

I’d love for them to have to tear this thing down but can’t imagine how they would demolish something that tall.

by Anonymousreply 41February 4, 2021 12:10 PM

No fresh air? Not even bottom vents? Me no like.

by Anonymousreply 42February 4, 2021 12:12 PM

I would like to know how much of the concrete, and other materials were imported to finish the project. But at least one of the engineers is cute, if the building fails he can be forgiven.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43February 4, 2021 12:14 PM

I can’t imagine spending so much money on a place where you can’t even open a window, let alone step outside. I feel claustrophobic just looking at that building.

by Anonymousreply 44February 4, 2021 12:36 PM

Is anyone planning a sequel to "The Towering Inferno?"

by Anonymousreply 45February 4, 2021 12:48 PM

What a shame, I didn't think it was that ugly. At least it has a drive way. A couple of supertalls on the west side don't and are in too touristy areas.

by Anonymousreply 46February 4, 2021 1:05 PM

The "JLo" moniker came from a fan. Said fan should've copyrighted it, before mentioning it to her.

by Anonymousreply 47February 4, 2021 1:07 PM

What about JLaw and TSwift?

by Anonymousreply 48February 4, 2021 1:08 PM

[quote]What about JLaw and TSwift?

NomStup*

by Anonymousreply 49February 4, 2021 1:14 PM

It was a well established trend by then, R48. Lopez was one of the first. She even mentioned it coming from a fan/fans in an interview years ago. But I can't remember where it was.

by Anonymousreply 50February 4, 2021 1:19 PM

Whenever I look at this building I hear the music from that scene in "Return go the King".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51February 4, 2021 1:31 PM

I guarantee that this apartment building is going to be sold to the city and then turned into low income housing.

by Anonymousreply 52February 4, 2021 1:37 PM

Has anyone here been in it? Or at least to the restaurant?

by Anonymousreply 53February 4, 2021 1:42 PM

Just looking at it, it seems about to topple. Imagine another Hurricane Sandy. Makes me uneasy.

by Anonymousreply 54February 4, 2021 1:46 PM

There is NO way it will be turned into low income housing.

The upkeep alone would be cost prohibitive.

Not to mention the obvious unseen dangers. Till they are seen

by Anonymousreply 55February 4, 2021 1:50 PM

the apt arod bought was too small for their family. they have like 4 or 5 kids between them?

by Anonymousreply 56February 4, 2021 1:58 PM

what do you want balconies for ? it's too high...too windy

by Anonymousreply 57February 4, 2021 1:59 PM

So, are we to understand the causal relationship to be that JLo’s extensive makeup and hair care products clogged and damaged the whole building’s plumbing system in under six months? Sue her, lock her up, hold her accountable!

by Anonymousreply 58February 4, 2021 2:01 PM

[quote] 432 is one of the better looking buildings and probably my favorite of the super talls.

I disagree. I can see it from my (far more modest) apartment and it's quite ugly. Not to mention that it ruins any southern view from just about anywhere in Central Park. It's got zero style, it looks like something someone dashed off with a pencil and a straight-edge . The top has no design flourishes at all, it just stops.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 4, 2021 2:02 PM

How many apartments per floor?

by Anonymousreply 60February 4, 2021 2:02 PM

How exciting to live in the SS. Posiden.

by Anonymousreply 61February 4, 2021 2:05 PM

I think they are just using JLo as a scapegoat saying anyone named Jenny from the Block would turn a place into a slum just by living there for a few months.

by Anonymousreply 62February 4, 2021 2:05 PM

It’s an ugly building that looks like it’s giving the rest of the city the finger.

by Anonymousreply 63February 4, 2021 2:06 PM

[quote]Is this the building that had a different entrance for the poors?

It is the 55 separate units built into the otherwise ritzy 40 Riverside Boulevard building that has the "poor entrance". Of course, the "poors" waste no time at all complaining about the lack of luxury they get with their pared-down apartments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64February 4, 2021 2:08 PM

Those absurdly tall (and ugly) buildings have ruined the skyline of New York. I hope the owners are miserable and the developers get their clocks cleaned financially.

by Anonymousreply 65February 4, 2021 2:12 PM

Do buildings that tall sway?

by Anonymousreply 66February 4, 2021 2:14 PM

I kind of like the way these buildings have changed the skyline- but this building is a shrine to greed gone berserk. You cannot avoid looking at them.

by Anonymousreply 67February 4, 2021 2:16 PM

Sounds like a 21st century Melrose Place! Somebody make this series.

by Anonymousreply 68February 4, 2021 2:18 PM

I wouldn't live there if I was poor and it was rent free

by Anonymousreply 69February 4, 2021 2:19 PM

Not comfortable at all with that kind of height. Looks scary.

by Anonymousreply 70February 4, 2021 2:22 PM

When will the northern part of Manhattan get supertalls?

by Anonymousreply 71February 4, 2021 2:31 PM

[quote]Do buildings that tall sway?

All buildings sway. I remember being on the 30th floor of an office tower during a hurricane and the chandelier in the conference room swung about.

But a building that tall AND skinny is going to be far worse. Apparently, design defects cause walls to creak and elevator cables to slap about in high winds.

by Anonymousreply 72February 4, 2021 2:35 PM

I really want to know what happens in one of these supertall towers in case of an emergency -- say, a major gas explosion or fire on floor 28 -- that threatens the structural integrity of the whole building and certainly all the floors above it. Does anybody really believe someone can run down 86 flights of steps to get out in a reasonable time frame? Or are they instructed to walk up to the rooftop (maybe 40 or 50 flights up) and wait for a helicopter?

Not everyone in these buildings is going to be as fit as ARod and JLo, and even if they were, there are some things you can't outrun.

by Anonymousreply 73February 4, 2021 2:36 PM

R73, that is always the challenge, and no plans will keep ppl alive in a building this tall if there is a huge fire or some other disaster.

by Anonymousreply 74February 4, 2021 2:43 PM

I have a friend who lives in an 80th floor (or so) condo in Chicago. There is a constant, eerie wind sound at all times. It has a beautiful view of the city and Lake Michigan but it creeps me the hell out. I could never get used to that wind whirring outside my window all the time.

by Anonymousreply 75February 4, 2021 2:44 PM

Further evidence that the insane prices people are paying are not based on logic. All superficial trophies. The best was the tripling of monthly fees because - whoops - insurance went up due to all the shoddy design and construction issues. Truly just burning money.

A worse trend I think is the combination of units - and even townhouses - to create massive spaces for the 1%. In the Village, this has meant a dozen 1-BR and studio apartments becoming one big house for a rich family who is never there. What I miss are the 12 average people who lived modestly and were much more interesting and engaging tha the 1% douches.

by Anonymousreply 76February 4, 2021 2:54 PM

A lot of these buildings are almost empty.

The units are bought by Russian, Arab, and Chinese billionaires looking to launder their money and/or get it out of their own countries.

by Anonymousreply 77February 4, 2021 2:58 PM

When this thing was being built, all I could think of was its the perfect target. Its naive to believe that WTC could not happen again. They should shave it down to 40 floors.

by Anonymousreply 78February 4, 2021 3:03 PM

It's like a cruise ship in sky scraper form

by Anonymousreply 79February 4, 2021 3:04 PM

I know a hedge fund guy who lives on one of the higher floors. The building sways and groans, and if there’s weather, the view disappears.

by Anonymousreply 80February 4, 2021 3:13 PM

Not being able to open a window- that's like living in an airport or a hospital.

by Anonymousreply 81February 4, 2021 3:20 PM

So..millions of bucks for a place that offers no fresh air, no quick out, noisy, dangerous and plumbing problems.

Seems the low cost housing has better features.

by Anonymousreply 82February 4, 2021 3:27 PM

Roof access?

by Anonymousreply 83February 4, 2021 3:32 PM

R83, you'd blow off the thing if you went ontop of that

by Anonymousreply 84February 4, 2021 3:37 PM

There is fresh air at 432, there are vents that allow air in below each window. As far as balconies, who wants a balcony 1400 feet in the air? That’s terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 85February 4, 2021 3:37 PM

I used to work for the Empire State Building owners, and one time they invited me up to the outside of the very top, where the maintain the transmission antennas. I had to be harnessed and tethered, and it was the most terrifying experience I've ever had.

by Anonymousreply 86February 4, 2021 3:39 PM

R85, if "fresh air" means breathing it through vents only..................

That aint fresh air.

by Anonymousreply 87February 4, 2021 3:42 PM

I'd never want to live in a building that high.

As a fan of disaster movies, one of my favorites is "The Towering Inferno". And I've watched lots of videos of the WTC on 9/11.

Walking down crowded stairways in an emergency while they become smoke filled - I'd never make it out.

No thanks.

And that picture at R59? What an ugly building.

The John Hancock on Chicago's Michigan Avenue is a beautiful building, but even so, not a place I would like to live.

by Anonymousreply 88February 4, 2021 3:47 PM

There are odd hatches at the bottom of the windows, with hinged tops to look and act as window seats. They are poorly finished on the inside. You open the top and lower the hatch - the louvers (visible in the ARod pic below the glass) have a grate over them. Fresh air rushes in and blows dust across the floor.

The views in the upper middle zone - say 60th something floor take in lots of roofs and mechanical equipment on neighboring buildings. The 40s and 50s at least look at crowns of buildings.

Vinoly and Macklowe should be shamed for this one. Couldn’t happen to nicer people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89February 4, 2021 3:51 PM

A nice brownstone in the village w a garden and nice architecture is far better.

by Anonymousreply 90February 4, 2021 3:55 PM

There are so many ugly repulsive soulless buildings going up in Manhattan. How sad that these wretched real estate developers have ruined my city.

Most of the apartments in these eye sores aren't even sold, they've remained empty for years. Some wealthy people have bought these monstrously ugly apartments, yet never live in them.

Eat the rich!

by Anonymousreply 91February 4, 2021 3:59 PM

the views are impressive.

too bad about the water problems. I wonder if there is toxic mold as well?

by Anonymousreply 92February 4, 2021 4:06 PM

I don't like brownstones. they have rodent problems esp with the garden in the back. I see it all the time.

by Anonymousreply 93February 4, 2021 4:08 PM

NY needs to pass a law that taxes the shit out of anyone who buys an apartment through a shell company. Either these Russian oligarchs need to have their attempts to funnel money out of Russia made fully public or they should start paying handsomely for the privilege of doing so.

by Anonymousreply 94February 4, 2021 4:19 PM

I had a friend who lived on a fairly high floor in one of the towers across the street from this monstrosity. Needless to say, they lost a great deal of their park view. In addition to lowering property values in the buildings around it, there’s a great deal of concern about the new tower blocking the sun in the park right? A la Mr. Burns and his sun blocking device on The Simpsons.

by Anonymousreply 95February 4, 2021 4:23 PM

R93, my parents live in one. I grew up in one. NEVER had that problem.

by Anonymousreply 96February 4, 2021 4:28 PM

R86, that made me vicariously terrified just imagining it.

by Anonymousreply 97February 4, 2021 4:32 PM

Be a great location for The Towering Inferno II

by Anonymousreply 98February 4, 2021 4:33 PM

It's fucking hideous.

by Anonymousreply 99February 4, 2021 4:37 PM

[quote] Is anyone planning a sequel to "The Towering Inferno?"

Already been done. It was a huge hit!

by Anonymousreply 100February 4, 2021 4:38 PM

IIt is beyond hideous. My friends in Manhattan hate it and refer to it as "the Jenga Tower."

by Anonymousreply 101February 4, 2021 4:40 PM

Dear Lord in Heaven!

by Anonymousreply 102February 4, 2021 4:41 PM

R101, the jenga tower is downtown, another hideous building.

by Anonymousreply 103February 4, 2021 4:42 PM

R96, bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 104February 4, 2021 4:43 PM

If you want to see tall and even thinner, look up 111 West 57th street. It is insane.

Apparently they are have trouble selling on the high floors. You're completely detached from the city. It's like looking out of the windows of an airplane and that gets old fast.

For days you're engulfed in clouds and mist so your view is a grey wall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105February 4, 2021 4:45 PM

Will it ever be possible to take those buildings down someday? I can only imagine they would have to do it floor by floor.

by Anonymousreply 106February 4, 2021 4:47 PM

[quote]Eat the rich!

Haha. Nearly everything you like about the architecture and design of NYC, everything of note in architecture or urban design was designed by, paid for by, or intended for the use or reputation embellishment of the rich.

The design is better than I expected. The plans (except for the floor-through $90M option) have a logic to them, placing functions well and separating bedrooms for privacy. The ceiling heights are good, about 12'-6" and the rooms scaled to look big; the windows are 10' high; the living rooms are about 550 sq. ft.; nothing feels cramped; and the minimalist detailing has some nice touches to emphasize the architecture. It could have been far worse, certainly. If the design doesn't appeal to me, it's less the architect's fault than his design brief.; he brought a nice clarity to the design that is admirable.

For $9M or $11M you get what used to be called a living room-dining room, and probably still is. My parents' generation viewed such things as what "kids" and singles and newlyweds who hadn't gotten it together financially put up with until they assumed a more adult architectural posture. Now it seems standard fare in a lot of new luxury condo construction. Run the budget up to $90M and you get 3 bedrooms and one public room, but one of the of those is noted as "bedroom/library." To me the lavish space spent on en suite bathrooms is overboard; I would rather have stolen back some space and made a small study or office apart from the one public space, but the size of the windows, an attribute in other respects, limits the plan in its options for inserting room partition walls.: rooms are in necessarily in modular units of 10'+ at the exterior walls. The living room-dining room is nice, but for a $9M, $11M, or $20M, having only one option for a public space seems mad. The entrance halls at 5' x 25' are too narrow to display big art, and short on any real sense of arrival or setting up an expectation for what follows. Like the lobby, the expectation is a luxury hotel or a luxury tower housing head offices of corporate headquarters. And "30,000 square feet of amenity space"? I'd rather have even a small second public space, an impressive entry hall, some sign of luxury.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107February 4, 2021 4:53 PM

Having lived in a few luxury high rise build, I can attest that you will never use the "amenities"

by Anonymousreply 108February 4, 2021 4:58 PM

R107 - in reality the plans don’t work. Too much is squeezed into each unit. As in the 3 bedroom should really be a 2 and the 2 bedroom a 1.

They are also Sheetrock palaces with no character and a suspect level of finish.

by Anonymousreply 109February 4, 2021 5:07 PM

59 Leonard Street by Herzog & de Meuron is much better and on a reasonable scale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110February 4, 2021 6:12 PM

R106 Hopefully, it may just implode on its own!

by Anonymousreply 111February 4, 2021 6:13 PM

Just another sky-high, international money laundromat, brought to you by Michael Bloomberg, Mayor.

by Anonymousreply 112February 4, 2021 6:19 PM

A tour of an apartment in 111 W. 57th. This is the one where glass keeps falling off of it and onto the street below. The filthy windows do open though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113February 4, 2021 6:29 PM

The tour guide at R113 isn't an elegant man.

by Anonymousreply 114February 4, 2021 6:50 PM

Imagine seeing a plane coming your way 😵

by Anonymousreply 115February 4, 2021 7:50 PM

Ok, R104. lol.

by Anonymousreply 116February 4, 2021 7:52 PM

OT, there is a nice, small, clean park/lunch area at the base open to the public. Tables and chairs for a snack or coffee break. I have lunch there everyday when the weather is warm.

by Anonymousreply 117February 4, 2021 8:01 PM

I liked my idea so much I made a video. R10

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118February 4, 2021 8:19 PM

These "modern" luxury buildings charging $5-$20 million bucks for NO FORMAL DINING ROOM! What the fuck!? That 56 Leonard Street building has NO separate kitchens! All of the kitchens are that hideous "loft" kitchen (in the living room) so when you host dinner parties you can see the chef's ass crack and the waiters standing around eating cold hors d'oeuvres, and you upholstery will smell like grease soon enough! Not for $8 million bucks, no fucking way! For that money I'd demand a separate, windowed, eat-in kitchen and formal dining room at very least! How tacky these shitty "Great Room" lazy designers are!

by Anonymousreply 119February 4, 2021 10:50 PM

Wherever J Lo lives instantly becomes a slum.

by Anonymousreply 120February 4, 2021 10:56 PM

Love SCTV, they probably got it right, tho!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121February 4, 2021 11:12 PM

Does anyone know how skyscrapers that fall into disrepair are dismantled? I’d imagine it can’t be done by controlled demolition when they’re that tall and in the middle of a populous city. What happens if it falls into complete disrepair and is condemned?

by Anonymousreply 122February 4, 2021 11:13 PM

I’m with r119 but no one wants a formal dining room these days. At these prices, you are sure the developers did their research.

by Anonymousreply 123February 4, 2021 11:18 PM

Good part of new construction in NYC this past decade or so sucks. Up and down the line from "affordable" right on up to so called luxury buildings.

Renters have it a bit easier because they can just pack up and move when lease is over. OTOH plenty have plunked down substantial sums for condo units that are nothing but one problem after another.

What does anyone expect? These buildings are largely built with as non-union labor developer can get away with; that isn't necessarily bad but when your "labor" are guys picked up off a street corner each morning....

Quality isn't there either; with places asking a few million or more full of cheap Home Depot fittings and furnishings.

Many people are simply opting to look for older buildings where you can still get windows that open (fully) and decent construction.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124February 4, 2021 11:33 PM

Can you open a window anywhere in the apartment?

by Anonymousreply 125February 4, 2021 11:36 PM

Problem isn't limited to city either, across North River in New Jersey same sort of issues are popping up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126February 4, 2021 11:37 PM

Florida......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127February 4, 2021 11:37 PM

R125

This cheesy article explains things...

In keeping with both Bloomberg and current mayoral administration, and liberal democratic city council there has been a huge push for "green" buildings in NYC. As such new construction has been forced to build tighter buildings rather like high rise office buildings. These new buildings feature (supposedly) advanced but energy saving HVAC systems that provide "fresher air than outdoors". But to keep cooling and or heating costs down you want to limit amount of air drawn in from outside.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128February 4, 2021 11:48 PM

More...

Push is coming from proponents of passive house movement.

by Anonymousreply 129February 4, 2021 11:49 PM

I think a tall slender building like that will always have some of the problems described here. It naturally sways and that causes the noise and the elevators getting stuck. Probably also why plumbing is a problem.

by Anonymousreply 130February 4, 2021 11:49 PM

Passive House.....

You can see where windows open a bit, but nothing like what most are used to normally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131February 4, 2021 11:50 PM

Many are the reasons I wouldn't live here if given the opportunity, and most of them have been mentioned already. While I'm not sure I'd want a balcony on the 900th floor (exaggerating here), I'd need outdoor space, which this building was intentionally designed without.

by Anonymousreply 132February 4, 2021 11:57 PM

I like the look of the building but the negative features outweigh the looks of this thing.

Why don't the windows have privacy screens?

by Anonymousreply 133February 5, 2021 12:08 AM

It just reminds me of the apocalypse for some reason. Disquieting.

by Anonymousreply 134February 5, 2021 12:13 AM

[quote]At these prices, you are sure the developers did their research.

The developers most certainly have! Their research has confirmed that the upcoming condo buyers are easily convinced that they don't need an entertaining space in their million dollar condo; why, they can just use the 'party room' on the top floor! Yes, come see our beautifully appointed party room with a craft kitchen! never mind that you , Mr. Naive and Stupid condo-buyer, will be paying higher monthly fees for said 'party room' that you will NEVER use! Oh, and thanks for being so gullible Mr. Naive condo buyer, you just saved us tens of thousands of dollars per unit cause you just bought a developer grade box for millions of dollars, and we didn't even have to put walls in it! p.s. we skimped on the plumbing and electrical too, but that's behind the walls so you'll never know until that GUARANTEED first flood, when we start to do band-aid repairs. Your insurance agent will explain all of this to you though ... we got on listing price and handed the building off to the HOA, so we're outta here, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

by Anonymousreply 135February 5, 2021 12:15 AM

That has to be one of the most uninspiring building designs ever done. It looks like the architects gave as little thought to how the building would look as possible.

by Anonymousreply 136February 5, 2021 12:22 AM

Why are you so angry about not having “party space” in a condo? There are noise issues in every building, developers cheap out and put cardboard and very little noise insulation, party somewhere else, if you live in nyc or any big city, go out and party outside, you sound old. Probably most who have lived in nyc have heard their neighbors having sex and singing with their youtube karaoke.

But this building is ugly, did not fit at all with its neighborhood and is just an eyesore. It should have never been approved.

by Anonymousreply 137February 5, 2021 12:24 AM

Does the “party room” come with free flowing coke and whores? If so, it might be worth it.

by Anonymousreply 138February 5, 2021 12:25 AM

If you proposed something like that in architecture school you would be ridiculed an finish last in class. What was Viñoly thinking? Who approved this, why were the neighbors not all up in arms? We’re they all bought off?

by Anonymousreply 139February 5, 2021 12:26 AM

These buildings are built for money laundering mostly, and for a few perverted types. Most people with that kind of money want something more traditional, comfortable, and with many more service space inside the apartment. A few perverts and weirdos might be attracted to these new billionaire sliver buildings, for for the show off factor. Mostly its not about design, its about laundering money. They will take a bath if the values fall. But they are so rich, well... Big deal.

by Anonymousreply 140February 5, 2021 1:05 AM

Well I gotta live somewhere, r140, and your mom's a dirty ho so I can't live with her anymore.

by Anonymousreply 141February 5, 2021 1:13 AM

R105 the width of 111 West 57th is barely 50 feet across, that's a height-to-width ratio of 24:1. Manhattan seems like such a crazy place to experiment with such unproven designs. This building was only just finished in October. With a height of 1,428, it seems some of those 111 apartments actually do have balconies on the higher floors too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142February 5, 2021 2:24 AM

The top floor penthouse of Steinway 111, on level 82 it has an outdoor terrace and observatory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143February 5, 2021 2:40 AM

Just how many buildings has JLo ruined for other people? Can we get her banned from the city?

by Anonymousreply 144February 5, 2021 2:44 AM

R143 Imagine those lights above the dining table swaying with the wind.

by Anonymousreply 145February 5, 2021 2:46 AM

I see this building most every daylight LIRR ride into NYC. Liked it from the get-go. It was that it was symmetrical, only 92 or so feet square, rising upwards. Facade is 10' glass squares, six across each side. There was flack when it "opened" in that no floor was finished, you bought bare concrete, had to do interiors yourself. Prices were millions and millions. There was no vetting of buyers beyond did they have the needed income and foreign speculation fueled sales. To me the sheer isimplicity was beautiful. Then I went to see it. Park Avenue my ass. Building sets off Park on the west end of East 56th Street, uptown side, about one building off the corner. There is a small circular drive off the street, some low iron pickets, low hedges, a bench or two, fronting the lobby. NOT a spectacular entrance. The "Park Avenue" had been a small 22'-wide townhouse, west side of Park one up off the corner, torn down, now a paved marble walkway to the side and back of 432, and a drive underground for cars and delivery. "Floor-plans" were pulled off the Net years ago but I think I noticed almost every floor had two units at least and only a few had one unit per floor. There are no balconies or open spaces yet somehow 10 units were offered as"Penthouses". And you'd have to be on loor 30 or up to not look into adjoining buildings. To me a full floor up high could be worth the millions pricing. The rise is 12 floors of units, then two floors of mechanics. then 12 floors, then mechanics, There are 7 blocks of units. 6 of mechanics. I love the sleek look of the needle into the sky, would like to be up high in it .

On Feb 3, 2021, at 2:13 PM, Ann Grey wrote:

by Anonymousreply 146February 5, 2021 2:46 AM

Every time I hear stories about this building, I think of this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147February 5, 2021 2:51 AM

If J-Lewd has any taste at all. it's up her ass!

by Anonymousreply 148February 5, 2021 4:54 AM

What's that about a fool and his money?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149February 5, 2021 4:58 AM

It reminds me of the J.G. Ballard novel HIGH RISE that they made into a Tom Hiddleston movie a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 150February 5, 2021 4:59 AM

would all these super tall building have all these problems like the squeaking sounds etc??

I'm sure it's not just limited to this building.

by Anonymousreply 151February 5, 2021 5:02 AM

A rod being photographed shitting is hilarious. I didn't think anyone lived in these things.

by Anonymousreply 152February 5, 2021 5:14 AM

I used to live on the 14th floor of a building and it was a drag going up and down the stairs when the elevator was out, and the thought of being jammed with people in the stairwell in an emergency situation was enough to get me out of there. It seems like this would be a very nasty situation if it ever comes to making an emergency escape.

by Anonymousreply 153February 5, 2021 6:36 AM

R2 She must have realized fast that it was a shithole.

by Anonymousreply 154February 5, 2021 6:43 AM

Does it have good soundproofing?

by Anonymousreply 155February 5, 2021 9:29 AM

These needle like super thin supertalls going up in NYC are ruining the skyline. From afar they look more like construction cranes sticking up through the skyline than actual buildings.

by Anonymousreply 156February 5, 2021 10:08 AM

I thought sliver buildings were banned the first time they blighted Manhattan. How did they make a comeback?

by Anonymousreply 157February 5, 2021 10:15 AM

Stay out of the Scenic Elevator.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158February 5, 2021 12:25 PM

Probably to some extent R151.

[quote]Living this high up, though, can be eerie, and the wind intimidating: “The building creaks like an old boat, and you can even feel it sway.” Security pins had to be added to the windows after it was discovered that high winds could prise them open: in one early incident, a TV was sucked out of an upper-floor apartment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159February 5, 2021 12:39 PM

A friend has a condo on the 38th floor of a 41 story building that is quite small in footprint. The first time I visited him there I was standing near the glass terrace door looking at the view. The wind was quite strong that day and as I was looking at another building nearby I could see and feel the the building sway back and forth. I mentioned it to my friend and he said "oh that's nothing - it can get much worse".

by Anonymousreply 160February 5, 2021 2:57 PM

The highest floor I ever lived on was 29th of a 32 story building. The way it was constructed, it didn't sway much except during earthquakes. That was a whole different experience. Once the momentum starts, it keeps going for several minutes or longer, with lots of creaking and groaning where the structural steel columns are inside the walls. Every unit in the building has a balcony that runs the full width of the building. Visitors were often unable to step out onto it or even get too close to the windows.

by Anonymousreply 161February 5, 2021 8:16 PM

Let us not forget the design inspiration for 432 Park: an expensive trash can.

Enough said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162February 6, 2021 12:16 AM

I would like it if they lobbed off the last two sections. It would still be super tall and it wouldn't be unsettling and it wouldn't destroy the skyline. Same with the others along Central Park South. They need to be 20-30 stories shorter.

by Anonymousreply 163February 6, 2021 1:37 AM

It's easy for the rich to get sucked in by the plans and promises of projects like these. They buy expecting their big bucks will guarantee them some perfect Utopia, when in reality they should be looking for someplace in the country, or an older, better-made building where they will have to put up with a little street noise and perhaps some general rundownness.

Not a supertall, but that highrise where Nicole Kidman lived at 200 E11th, with the "sky garage" is another place that looked like absolute perfection in brochures. But it had bad plumbing and crap windows and fittings, and imagine hearing that car elevator clank, clank, clanking 24 hours a day in your perfect Utopian paradise.

by Anonymousreply 164February 6, 2021 3:23 AM

Yes, I remember when they were building this, the crane fell and killed or injured someone. I don't remember exactly, it's been many years.

Just this year, construction materials ( I think glass) fell from another supertall that they are still building, during a storm with high winds. I wonder how well these buildings are constructed, corners cut etc...

by Anonymousreply 165February 6, 2021 3:30 AM

It's like the "SUV" of New York City hightowers.

by Anonymousreply 166February 6, 2021 5:53 AM

[quote] I guarantee that this apartment building is going to be sold to the city and then turned into low income housing.

Can you deliver? I’m in a 60th floor walk-up.

by Anonymousreply 167February 6, 2021 6:29 AM

This insurance company is going to end up eating a lot of this. This is big bucks.

by Anonymousreply 168February 6, 2021 6:38 AM

That NYTimes article is probably not good for the value of the home right now.

by Anonymousreply 169February 6, 2021 6:40 AM

R79, Without the fun!

My aunt lives on the 13th floor of a public housing building in New Jersey. She can fully open her windows.

by Anonymousreply 170February 6, 2021 7:03 AM

The city could subdivide it after it takes over the failed project and turn it into a prison, replacing Rykers island. It has that look.

by Anonymousreply 171February 6, 2021 12:06 PM

What if they have to take that building down one day? How could they do that safely given the height of the building? I agree with a poster up thread that many corners were cut and cheap materials likely were used. To be honest, I would feel uneasy being near this thing, much less living in it.

by Anonymousreply 172February 6, 2021 12:19 PM

Tasteful friends, any takers?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173June 13, 2021 4:31 AM

Apart from it taking up the whole floor, it's so boxy and uninspiring. The proportions are almost like that shipping container building built for affordable housing that Kanye West turned into a mega-mansion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174June 13, 2021 4:41 AM

[quote]the tower sways “a lot more” than other tall buildings to prevent earthquake damage. The Post previously reported that visitors said they were “nauseated” and “freaked out” by the swaying.

Sounds great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175June 13, 2021 4:45 AM

R174 If Kanye West is that insane he will probably end up dying broke like Michael.

by Anonymousreply 176June 13, 2021 4:57 AM

New York wants to turn empty hotel spaces into "affordable" housing. Office and other spaces were left out of final bill that still awaits King Cuomo's signature.

Even if governor signs bill there isn't nearly enough money and private money has been piling up and sniffing around for deals on these same hotels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177June 13, 2021 5:00 AM

R174 April Fool's day satirical post.

by Anonymousreply 178June 13, 2021 5:01 AM

Meanwhile city is also busy buying hotels and other commercial spaces to convert into homeless shelters.

City can do this because currently converting commercial space into homeless shelter does not need to go through land use process which most certainly would kill many of these plans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179June 13, 2021 5:04 AM

This one looks like it's starting to lean already.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180June 13, 2021 5:57 AM

One of the most common complaints in supertall buildings is noise, said Luke Leung, a director at the architectural firm Skidmore, Owings and Merrill. He has heard metal partitions between walls groan as buildings sway, and the ghostly whistle of rushing air in doorways and elevator shafts.

Residents at 432 Park complained of creaking, banging and clicking noises in their apartments, and a trash chute “that sounds like a bomb” when garbage is tossed, according to notes from a 2019 owners’ meeting.

by Anonymousreply 181June 13, 2021 6:40 AM

[R66], I worked on the 20th floor of the Key Tower in Seattle. Inaugural Day 1993 there was a big windstorm. It felt like we were at sea in a storm on a cruise ship. We eventually got sent home. It was wild. It was the only time I felt the building sway like that. We had an unobstruted view West onto Elliot Bay.

by Anonymousreply 182June 13, 2021 6:48 AM

When you let those Puerto Ricans in this is what you get, just saying.

by Anonymousreply 183June 13, 2021 6:52 AM

You can see in this video at 7:00, the double-story voids at every 12th floor are to stop the building from toppling over, but it still creates a lot of turbulence that would rattle the building in very high wind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184June 13, 2021 7:15 AM

Luckily J-Lo isn't still around to plug up the empty gaps in those floors.

by Anonymousreply 185June 13, 2021 7:17 AM

They should move the homeless in.

by Anonymousreply 186June 13, 2021 8:16 AM

[quote] The Post previously reported that visitors said they were “nauseated” and “freaked out” by the swaying.

I had assumed this new a building design would include anti-sway dampening and apparently it does.

432 Park Avenue, New York City

Opposed Pendulum Tuned Mass Damper

2 identical 600-ton Tuned Mass Dampers

With an especially slender aspect ratio of 15:1, the tower required sway control measures even for regularly occurring winds, making a TMD solution essential. Needing to fit the damping system into a relatively small space, the Motioneering team modified an innovative opposed-pendulum design concept we’d used on earlier projects. We divided the required 1200-ton mass into two identical 600-ton TMDs and equipped each TMD with three separate pendulums – two conventional, one inverted. This configuration caused the masses to swing slowly but with sufficient force to be effective. The three-pendulum design resulted in a stable system that matched the tower’s frequency and fit within its space constraints, requiring less than half the height of a conventional design. This TMD enabled the building’s designers to address wind-induced motion issues without adding expensive structural materials or sacrificing valuable penthouse-level interior space.

I wonder how much of that “freak out” is just psychological and how much is actual excessive sway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187June 13, 2021 8:42 AM

The building looks like it would sway in a strong wind. The height is so tall, but the width is very narrow compared to the height. There's not enough "girth"... it doesn't look like it would be sturdy enough..like a house of cards. You stack the cards to however high, before they come crumbling down.

by Anonymousreply 188June 13, 2021 8:46 AM

[quote]that visitors said they were[bold] “nauseated” and “freaked out” [/bold]by the swaying.

I love how many times this quote has been re-posted on this thread

by Anonymousreply 189June 13, 2021 8:52 AM

Even the billionaires get fucked in this shithole city. BWAAAAH!

by Anonymousreply 190June 13, 2021 11:47 AM

It's a shame we can't crowd source the $ to buy this and establish "The Data Lounge Palms: Gay Bitchy Adult Residences."

by Anonymousreply 191June 13, 2021 11:55 AM

Is this building any uglier than the Hudson Yards development.

by Anonymousreply 192June 13, 2021 12:14 PM

Probably a lot of purchases are part of money laundering. It does look like shit. Top heavy...ready to topple.

by Anonymousreply 193June 13, 2021 12:34 PM

Wow, that building is in huge trouble. They had a studio sell for well under a million. $800,000. That’s pretty shocking given they were expecting more than twice that.

by Anonymousreply 194June 13, 2021 12:55 PM

Turn it into “affordable housing”.

by Anonymousreply 195June 13, 2021 1:01 PM

I don’t know about that, R90…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196June 13, 2021 1:10 PM

R115 I know, right?!

by Anonymousreply 197June 13, 2021 1:23 PM

It would be strange if it became abandoned...and taken over...by the "street people" - you could make a movie!! Then it can come tumbling down in the end...as we watch from afar.

by Anonymousreply 198June 13, 2021 1:28 PM

[quote] Imagine seeing a plane coming your way

I'm ok with that

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199June 13, 2021 1:29 PM

I know someone who lives there, on a high floor. Hedge fund douche. When it’s cloudy, you lose the view. It sways in the wind and makes eerie noises. Give me a prewar penthouse on the 11th floor, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 200June 13, 2021 1:33 PM

If those UFOs are going to attack us, I hope they destroy this building (and its occupants) first.

by Anonymousreply 201June 13, 2021 1:53 PM

If they allow the homeless in that building it will have to be condemned and torn down after a few years. Having seen the homeless up close and personal, they leave trash everywhere, smoke inside where not permitted, let their dogs roam around and piss and shit wherever they want. Perhaps they mean people who have hit a bad patch and need temp housing to get on their feet again but who work.

I also work with a woman who once did work for an organization that provided free housing for the homeless IF they got jobs and followed the house rules; sharing chores, cleaning after themselves, no drugs, no alcohol, etc. None of them ever stayed. They do not like rules and for that reason prefer it on the street and they can't get themselves off the booze and/or drugs. She said the whole time she worked there only 2 remained in the free housing from the program.

by Anonymousreply 202June 13, 2021 2:02 PM

Yes..there are some homeless people who prefer living on the streets as a lifestyle. Not all of them...but many, especially the younger people.

by Anonymousreply 203June 13, 2021 2:11 PM

I had a temp job right after the Covid hit (my other job furloughed everyone) as a property manager for a major self store company. The homeless would rent units and try to get away living in them which was a major no-no. We found one couple living in a third floor unit and not even really trying to hide it. They would leave during office hours but were still hanging around very close by. They let their dog have run of the entire building, pissing and shitting and not cleaning it up. Packed trash they picked up from dumpster diving in the stairwells, left doors propped open at night so they could bypass the security gates which is how we would monitor customer activities. They never cleaned after themselves. Our first clue of something was amiss was cig butts and food/drink containers all over the property, then they started bringing their pickings in. They are major hoarders from what I've observed. The longer they stayed the bolder they got and despite numerous verbal warnings and threats and nothing worked until the police had to intervene. They actually went to another part of town and rented another unit with the same company and the whole debacle started again.

by Anonymousreply 204June 13, 2021 2:49 PM

I KNEW IT.

by Anonymousreply 205June 13, 2021 3:16 PM

People hate this building because it's extremely visible and completely inaccessible. It makes them feel excluded. I've always thought people who go on about the supposedly ugly architecture just had sour grapes. It doesn't ruin the skyline.

by Anonymousreply 206June 13, 2021 3:48 PM

R202 you sound like a fucking idiot when you talk about "the homeless" as if homeless people were one monolithic group. I hope the next time you're up and close with "the homeless" someone tells you what a dumb bitch you are. Sorry you think poor people deserve to live in the gutter.

by Anonymousreply 207June 13, 2021 3:52 PM

Never said that R207 and you are ASSuming a lot. I've just observed them. I never said what you accuse me of. Jesus fucking christ, the overly senstive Marys here....I related my experience. If you have one, please do so and cease the pouting and hysterics.

by Anonymousreply 208June 13, 2021 3:56 PM

Why doesn't NYC council pass stricter laws regarding the height and design of a building? I guess money has something to do with it, but this seems extreme.

by Anonymousreply 209June 13, 2021 4:12 PM

That thing is too tall. I would never work or live in a building like that.

by Anonymousreply 210June 13, 2021 4:13 PM

[quote]Why doesn't NYC council pass stricter laws regarding the height and design of a building? I guess money has something to do with it, but this seems extreme.

They apparently think it's progress. It's "the future" and the money thing of course.

by Anonymousreply 211June 13, 2021 4:24 PM

Funny how the SCTV building in R121 looks just like OP's building.

by Anonymousreply 212June 13, 2021 4:26 PM

R202 and R204 have condemned this thread to deletion. You’re not allowed to speak those truths here.

by Anonymousreply 213June 13, 2021 4:30 PM

Anyone who thinks "homelessness" has anything at all to do with the price of rents really knows nothing.

Not everyone can afford every neighborhood, but if you can maintain any apartment, you won't be homeless unless you decide to be. Move where you can afford to live.

by Anonymousreply 214June 13, 2021 5:05 PM

R208 They're not monolithic and they're not a subspecies of human. You might want to evaluate your attitude because you have a better chance of ending up on the street than becoming a billionaire. I live in a city with a lot of homeless-hating yuppies so I'm kind of sick of people like you.

By the way your friend shouldn't have imposed drinking and drug restrictions on the people she was allegedly trying to help. So her organization would only help people if they towed the fucking line and followed some arbitrary lifestyle rules? Maybe she was more interested in forcing her morality on them than helping? I wouldn't have stayed either.

by Anonymousreply 215June 14, 2021 10:06 AM

[R215], you'll be the first wokescold if someone offers you a piece of non-organic toast with salted butter. Your rant contradicts what the majority of free society sees as acceptable behaviour. You're obviously on the fringes today. Tomorrow you'll be off screaming at something else. Because the problem is never you, is it?

by Anonymousreply 216June 14, 2021 10:20 AM

R209, it’s all about money.

I’m involved in fighting a mid-block high-rise mixed-use building in a residential neighborhood. Its construction would cast a shadow over a public park and an educational complex. There will also be a lab with biohazards is materials.

Doesn’t matter how inappropriate the location, how dangerous or damaging to its surroundings, if the developers want it built and spend enough money lobbying and bribing, zoning laws can be bent or broken.

by Anonymousreply 217June 14, 2021 11:24 AM

[quote] There will also be a lab with biohazards is materials.

Seriously, R217? That was actually the joke in R121's clip - the building tower had a nuclear reactor on the top floor! You should send that clip to your city counsel and your local news station

by Anonymousreply 218June 14, 2021 1:28 PM

DL is a fun, diverse, really interesting place to hang out if you block the shit stirrers and idiots.

With two posts, R207 and R215, has earned a spot on that list.

by Anonymousreply 219June 14, 2021 2:26 PM

R218, they know. There was a rally and they were all there. Nobody wants this thing. Don’t get me started.

by Anonymousreply 220June 14, 2021 4:24 PM

What's the cross street? How many apartment on each floor? Enquiring minds want to know.

by Anonymousreply 221June 14, 2021 10:44 PM

[quote] Even the billionaires get fucked in this shithole city. BWAAAAH!

Ah NYC, don’t you just love it when the B class gets shit all over, democracy in action

by Anonymousreply 222June 15, 2021 12:36 AM

Meanwhile

Mystery Buyer Pays $157.5 Million for Two Condos on New York’s Billionaires’ Row

The deal at 220 Central Park South marks one of the city’s most expensive residential trades ever

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223June 15, 2021 5:14 PM

At least one thing improved when JLo left.

by Anonymousreply 224June 15, 2021 6:27 PM

R223 That's right across the street from what's planned to be one of the largest homeless shelters in the city. Lucky 220 CPW has its own state-of-the-art and private underground parking facility with elevators and concierge service.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225June 16, 2021 3:01 AM

Did J-Lo turn this building into a shithole too?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226June 18, 2021 11:08 AM

And J Lo couldn’t even up a window to get some fresh air.

by Anonymousreply 227June 18, 2021 1:03 PM

Fredrik Eklund is selling the 82nd floor for an asking price of 79 million.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228June 26, 2021 9:27 AM

Hope it doesn't collapse...

by Anonymousreply 229June 26, 2021 11:15 AM

Knowing the terminal velocity of JLo's turd, no wonder people living near the street level compared it to bombs exploding in their own apartment. And with her abuse of laxatives...

by Anonymousreply 230June 26, 2021 11:47 AM

I hope the window cleaners are well paid. Imagine being in that tiny mesh cradle 1400 feet over the ground: First Wives Club action times ten.

by Anonymousreply 231June 26, 2021 12:02 PM

The more you peel away the outside layers on these wealthy living arrangements, the more you see what a fraud it's become. I'm thinking of the septic leaks all over the Hamptons, where animals croak after lapping the pond water -- or Dubai, where they have NO sewage system in most buildings, having to truck their shit away every single day.

At least the wealthy of earlier generations had good taste and used high quality materials. Even farm homes from 100 yrs ago are built better. And R206 there's lots of buildings people can't access, but aren't complained about, which the public should have a right to do -- they may not use these buildings, but own them as far as having to deal with them in their environment. Look at how many build these ugly eyesores, that also block access to sunlight, views, and public areas.

Once built, you're also stuck with it, regardless of how shoddy it is. It takes much more effort to remove the crap, if they do at all.

by Anonymousreply 232June 26, 2021 12:57 PM

For about half the cost of that 82nd floor firetrap you could live in the gorgeous penthouse at the Puck Building. It's one of only six units in that wing, and on only the tenth floor, so no swaying, creaking, or explosive sounds!

I love everything about this condo, especially the terraces and separate "skylight studio" unit on the upper floor roof deck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233June 27, 2021 2:26 AM

R30 Are you Datalounger's John Wellborn Root Fan?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234June 27, 2021 3:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!