Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's the true story of Farrah Fawcett's ditzy, spaced-out Letterman performance?

Was she drugged? Drunk? Doing a "bit" as she later claimed? Nervous? Tell me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64February 5, 2021 9:52 PM

Dear God that wig. I assume she was sick then.

by Anonymousreply 1February 2, 2021 9:47 PM

Meth.

by Anonymousreply 2February 2, 2021 9:50 PM

I'm thinking that's how she spent her last days, but usually there would have been someone to sober her up and or take away the pills. She was a druggie and lousy mother.

by Anonymousreply 3February 2, 2021 9:51 PM

Xanax and Good Wine

by Anonymousreply 4February 2, 2021 9:53 PM

She self-medicated. Dave was notorious for treating female guests like shit. Teri Garr was one of the few guests that successfully dealt with that abuse.

by Anonymousreply 5February 2, 2021 9:55 PM

[R4] She's far too jittery for those substances to be the explanation. I've known many people on meth and she shares their behaviors - her mind is racing, she can't articulate what she means, she's lost any sense of how she's being perceived. Trainwreck.

by Anonymousreply 6February 2, 2021 9:56 PM

The anal cancer had already spread to her brain.

by Anonymousreply 7February 2, 2021 10:12 PM

It was the fentanyl lollipop she had up her ass for the cancer pain.

by Anonymousreply 8February 2, 2021 10:32 PM

Ryan O'Neal admitted that he and his family were her downfall. They were heavily into drugs and she got into drugs because of them. She should have stayed married to Lee Majors and had a few kids with him. She'd probably still be alive. Oh, well.

by Anonymousreply 9February 2, 2021 10:33 PM

This was well before her cancer.

Today is actually her birthday! She was born 74 years ago - February 2, 1947.

by Anonymousreply 10February 2, 2021 10:34 PM

She was never known for her intellect. She might have been under the influence of something or dealing with residual issues from previous use. And menopause wasn’t doing her any cognitive favors.

by Anonymousreply 11February 2, 2021 10:35 PM

The true story, OP, is she was a spaced-out ditz.

by Anonymousreply 12February 2, 2021 10:36 PM

By this point her face had taken on a sad, haunted look that the smile couldn't hide. She was still a gorgeous, if older, woman but there's a pain etched on her face that's hard to accept remembering her the way she was. Very sad. She had it all at one point.

by Anonymousreply 13February 2, 2021 10:38 PM

Her butt was itching, for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 14February 2, 2021 10:40 PM

[R11] She was actually a very talented artist and therefore quite intelligent. She was a far more talented artist than actress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 2, 2021 10:41 PM

I always felt bad for Farrah as she got older. Despite being known for her incredible beauty as a young woman and proving her talent following Charlie’s Angels, she was judged harshly for getting older (and looking older). Plus, I don’t think Ryan O’Neal was the easiest man to live with. Add in the huge drug problems with her son and her cancer battle… There were rumours she also had drug issues, but they were never substantiated. She dealt with a lot of negative stuff it seemed in the 1990s and beyond.

She is missed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 2, 2021 10:44 PM

She didn't know how to age gracefully. But few women in Hollywood do.

by Anonymousreply 17February 2, 2021 10:48 PM

Just saw this picture of her from high school today. Very pretty!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 2, 2021 10:58 PM

I remember Rosie O'Donnell saying on her old Sirius XM radio show that she had two guests on The Rosie O'Donnell Show who were visibly on drugs -- and Farrah was one of them. Rosie said she had white powder in her nostril and under her nose during her interview.

by Anonymousreply 19February 2, 2021 11:18 PM

She probably could have survived her bout had she relied on traditional western treatments rather than the new agey shit she went with.

by Anonymousreply 20February 2, 2021 11:22 PM

[R19] Interesting. I suspect Farrah was doing meth and not cocaine. With coke it's easier to maintain an aura of normalcy of affect, which is not so with meth. Countless celebrities have gone on-camera high on coke with no one the wiser. Meth makes people seem crazy.

by Anonymousreply 21February 2, 2021 11:22 PM

My mom went to high school with her. Said she wasn't a mean girl but was popular.

by Anonymousreply 22February 2, 2021 11:25 PM

Prescription and non-prescription drugs, and lack of IQ.

by Anonymousreply 23February 2, 2021 11:25 PM

[R23] I think we already established that she was quite intelligent. Her public persona was an act.

by Anonymousreply 24February 2, 2021 11:28 PM

I agree with the poster who said that it was probably the O’Neal family that got her involved with drugs. Everyone in that household (Ryan, Tatum, Griffin, Redmond) has had their drug problem revealed.

by Anonymousreply 25February 2, 2021 11:30 PM

R15 She was a rather talented artist. She seemed like a sweet soul, until she got mixed up with Ryan O'Neal.

by Anonymousreply 26February 2, 2021 11:30 PM

R19 Did she say who the other guest was?

by Anonymousreply 27February 2, 2021 11:35 PM

Vintage gossip

"Fawcett, Farrah. Cokehead. Prima donna wanna-be. Slut during her early years as an actress. Kleptomaniac. Married & divorced Lee Majors. Linked with Robert Downey, Jr., Ryan O'Neal, Vincent Van Patten, Burt Reynolds, and Sylvester Stallone."

by Anonymousreply 28February 2, 2021 11:37 PM

Looked like she took some anxiety medication. She seemed nervous and uncomfortable while trying to be funny. Dave seemed gleeful that the interview is turning into a trainwreck.

by Anonymousreply 29February 2, 2021 11:41 PM

Her son is criminally insane.

by Anonymousreply 30February 2, 2021 11:42 PM

"She was still a gorgeous, if older, woman but there's a pain etched on her face..."

The pain etched on her face was bad plastic surgery.

"She was actually a very talented artist and therefore quite intelligent"

That doesn't mean she read or knew what was going on in the world, was sophisticated, discriminating, involved - in thought and/or action - in anything besides herself. I'd say she was quite dumb with her life and career. It's sad, but I never heard an intelligently composed sentence out of her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 2, 2021 11:42 PM

Her son is a mess...very sad.

by Anonymousreply 32February 2, 2021 11:43 PM

I didn’t watch Letterman’s CBS show but was a faithful viewer of Late Night with David Letterman in the 80s. My favorite interview he did was with Cher. Does anyone remember that one?

by Anonymousreply 33February 2, 2021 11:44 PM

Stay on topic, R33!

by Anonymousreply 34February 2, 2021 11:46 PM

[R31] You can't define what "intelligent" is based on her grasp of current affairs and/or the kind of flowery language you like. Her grasp of form, color, composition, spatial relationships and overall expressiveness betray a robust IQ. And it's not as if the coders of Silicon Valley are worldly sophisticates because they sit in front of glowing screens manipulating numbers all day long - I'm sure many of them are just as ignorant by your standards as Farrah.

by Anonymousreply 35February 2, 2021 11:48 PM

Redmond as of 2018. Reported by PEOPLE Magazine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 2, 2021 11:50 PM

"And menopause wasn’t doing her any cognitive favors."

Um, please. Thousands of women do through it every minute without going on Letterman acting like a meth-head. DEAL WITH IT AIRHEAD Farrah.

by Anonymousreply 37February 2, 2021 11:56 PM

R27, Leif Garrett was the other guest who was on drugs. Rosie stopped by his dressing room before the (live) show to introduce herself, and he was fine. However, when he walked onto the set, he suddenly had a fresh big burn on his face and seemed "off." Rosie assumed he had burned himself from a crack pipe. And to top it off, he was on the show to talk about his sobriety!

by Anonymousreply 38February 2, 2021 11:57 PM

Whoa R36....that's a rough looking character.

by Anonymousreply 39February 2, 2021 11:58 PM

I saw a video- she was naked and smeared in paint, rubbing up against a canvas.

Late 90s. I was stoned. Am I remembering correctly?

by Anonymousreply 40February 3, 2021 12:02 AM

That’s what she was promoting r40 a tv special and layout she did for playboy where she did body painting on canvas and vignettes of people talking about her and her photo shoot with playboy. She posed for them two years before and it was one of their best selling issues, she negotiated a deal for $1 million and a percentage of each copy sold.

Ryan said in his book that she was trying to portray a ditzy playboy model on letterman and took it too far. He said she had a hard time with menopause and turning 50, I think the letterman appearance was right after she caught him in bed with Leslie steffanson who later married James spader.

Griffin and Tatum moved out not long after Farrah moved in. I think she interacted more with Patrick who lived with Ryan his last couple of years in high school.

by Anonymousreply 41February 3, 2021 12:15 AM

Her life was pretty tragic. She worked so hard to become a serious actress and became one. (See Small Sacrifices, she's just brilliant in it.)

And then bad relationships and bad drugs ruined it all and maybe even cost her her life.

by Anonymousreply 42February 3, 2021 12:24 AM

Eww.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43February 3, 2021 12:30 AM

Those close to Farrah say she wasn't on drugs, she was just nervous.

by Anonymousreply 44February 3, 2021 12:30 AM

r36 if Rumer Willis had a brother...... same potato head

by Anonymousreply 45February 3, 2021 12:48 AM

She was awesome in Burning Bed. In that high school photo above she looks like sunshine personified. Yeah she had a tragic life and was a hot mess but didnt seem like a mean person

by Anonymousreply 46February 3, 2021 12:49 AM

R35, if you have a fawning dream not based in reality...DREAM ON.

by Anonymousreply 47February 3, 2021 1:12 AM

I'm assuming nobody here saw...BOBBI BOLAND.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48February 3, 2021 1:21 AM

[R47] And you're a complete failure as a snob. Not very convincing.

by Anonymousreply 49February 3, 2021 2:09 AM

[R47] Helpful hint for hicks - you're supposed to know more, not less, than those you're trying to put down. You have a lame act going on.

by Anonymousreply 50February 3, 2021 2:11 AM

I've read several things about Charlie's Angels and most said that Farrah was smart and professional BUT very traditional. Jacklyn Smith was the idiot of the group. Despite being smart enough to start her clothing line at affordable stores.

by Anonymousreply 51February 3, 2021 12:49 PM

It takes one smart cookie to name her first cat Bootsy Gumdrop.

by Anonymousreply 52February 3, 2021 1:16 PM

[quote]Ryan O'Neal admitted that he and his family were her downfall. They were heavily into drugs and she got into drugs because of them. She should have stayed married to Lee Majors and had a few kids with him. She'd probably still be alive.

Agree with every word.

by Anonymousreply 53February 5, 2021 7:13 PM

When she was still married to Lee Majors, she was on one of the late night talk shows, both of them were. My sister watched it and asked me the next day if I had seen it or heard about it because she said Farrah acted really strange. She kept apologizing to Majors for something and the tone was so odd, my sister wondered what was really going on. This was way before the internet.

by Anonymousreply 54February 5, 2021 7:27 PM

Farrah was apologizing for not having a penis.

by Anonymousreply 55February 5, 2021 7:32 PM

She was skin and bones in that interview and I think it was before she was sick.

by Anonymousreply 56February 5, 2021 7:45 PM

[quote]I'm assuming nobody here saw...BOBBI BOLAND.

I worked on Bobby Boland, [r48]

by Anonymousreply 57February 5, 2021 8:04 PM

R57, do you have any Farrah gossip to share?

by Anonymousreply 58February 5, 2021 8:06 PM

It sucked she died the same day as Michael Jackson. Her death was sort of lost in the news cycle. I would have taken Farrah anytime over that crazy POS.

by Anonymousreply 59February 5, 2021 8:18 PM

[quote][R57], do you have any Farrah gossip to share?

Not much that you haven't read. [r58]. Something was clearly wrong with her. Throughout techs and previews, she would use actors' real names instead of their characters, and weirdly, visa versa. She was pretty good about remembering her lines, but not her blocking. She'd miss entrances. There was no indication of overt drug abuse. She was very sweet. Even though it meant losing a job, I was glad when they pulled the plug. She was in no condition to carry the show.

The memory is a sad one. I'd done a little work on Extremities, and she was a different person.

by Anonymousreply 60February 5, 2021 8:57 PM

Someone needs to explain to me what happened to that glorious hair as she got older. Why did it always look like deep fried ramen? Why didnt someone, anyone say something?

by Anonymousreply 61February 5, 2021 9:14 PM

High as a fucking kite. You don't get suddenly distracted by the fake NYC skyline in the middle of it because of an attack of nerves.

by Anonymousreply 62February 5, 2021 9:20 PM

Thank you, r60. So sad. How was the script? Was it to a level that it would have had a run if she'd been in shape?

by Anonymousreply 63February 5, 2021 9:39 PM

[quote]Thank you, [R60]. So sad. How was the script? Was it to a level that it would have had a run if she'd been in shape?

Oh, HELL no, [r48]. It was a kind of a vanity project for a wealthy former beauty queen/cheerleader (and you're welcome).

Might have been campy fun and run a few months on FF's name.

Somewhere I have a full show audio.

by Anonymousreply 64February 5, 2021 9:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!