Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

RIP Jamie Tarses

I didn't see this here when I did a search--I apologize if it's already been posted.

Jamie Tarses was the first woman to be made president of a network's entertainment division (NBC) and the youngest--she was a huge driving force behind the success of "Friends" and "Mad About You." Despite her awful hairdo in this photo, she was quite attractive, and had affairs with TV stars like Matthew Perry and Ryan Reynolds. She had a kind of fascinating downfall story shaped mostly by sexism in the industtry that the obituary describes. She died very young at 56--she had been in a coma after a stroke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38February 3, 2021 8:46 AM

Of course her downfall was "sexism." ZZZZZZZ - wash, rinse, repeat. There's no way she go into that position without being a major bitch - this is Hollywood we're talking about, after all.

by Anonymousreply 1February 2, 2021 8:11 PM

I remember her name - she was everywhere and then nowhere.

I more vividly remember her father, who was behind some great shows in the 80s.

No matter who she was, sad that she was in a coma for the last months of her life.

by Anonymousreply 2February 2, 2021 8:14 PM

Oh, you are just [italic]so[/italic] wise, r1.

by Anonymousreply 3February 2, 2021 8:16 PM

Classy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 2, 2021 8:18 PM

[R3] Thanks, queen.

by Anonymousreply 5February 2, 2021 8:19 PM

The named seemed familiar. Her father was Jay Tarses, who was himself a powerful presence in series television, with credits on the original Bob Newhart Show, Buffalo Bill, Days and Nights of Molly Dodd, the Tony Randall Show, etc.

by Anonymousreply 6February 2, 2021 8:20 PM

Well, what’s your excuse for your mediocre life, R1? Since it can’t possibly be sexism.

by Anonymousreply 7February 2, 2021 8:21 PM

[R6] So hers was another "up from the bootstraps" tale of feminism, shattering glass ceilings and sexism. Truly inspiring.

by Anonymousreply 8February 2, 2021 8:22 PM

The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd, one of the finest shows ever to exist.

by Anonymousreply 9February 2, 2021 8:22 PM

I wonder how she make it as a gentile in Hollywood...oh, wait - nevermind.

by Anonymousreply 10February 2, 2021 8:25 PM

Cancer or CoViD?

by Anonymousreply 11February 2, 2021 8:40 PM

Neither. Heart attack following a stroke that put her in a coma.

by Anonymousreply 12February 2, 2021 10:17 PM

I remember the colossal revamp she did at ABC centered around a “tv is good” campaign which everyone hated. IIRC she only managed one middling hit at ABC, Dharma and Greg.

by Anonymousreply 13February 2, 2021 10:28 PM

She’s responsible for shows from 30 years ago but she’s only 56? Someone let someone in their early 20s in charge of shows?

by Anonymousreply 14February 2, 2021 10:44 PM

LOL! affairs with Matthew Perry and Ryan Reynolds? so basically she was a closet lesbian

by Anonymousreply 15February 2, 2021 10:56 PM

It was precisely her youth that allowed her to understand the young audience of her generation. That's why her shows were such hits in the 1990's.

by Anonymousreply 16February 2, 2021 10:59 PM

Covid has caused strokes in some. The amount of high profile LA deaths freaks me out.

Anyway, nepotism or not, good for her for hooking up with young Ryan Reynolds when she was his boss's boss. That amuses me. Rest In power.

by Anonymousreply 17February 2, 2021 11:05 PM

Wasn't there some gossip about her giving favoritism to shows produced by some boyfriend of hers?

by Anonymousreply 18February 2, 2021 11:09 PM

Congratulations, r17: you are officially the first person to use the phrase "Rest in power" unironically on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 19February 2, 2021 11:12 PM

[R17] So when a man uses his position to get pussy it's despicable but when a woman uses her position to get cock it's admirable. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 20February 2, 2021 11:15 PM

[quote] It was precisely her youth that allowed her to understand the young audience of her generation. That's why her shows were such hits in the 1990's.

But Mad About You wasn’t about youths. It was about a middle-aged married couple.

by Anonymousreply 21February 2, 2021 11:15 PM

I Googled her to jog my memory. She dated producer Robert Morton and replaced another producer with him on the ABC sitcom Over the Top.

"By the time the pilot was filmed, ABC Entertainment president Ted Harbert had been replaced by Jamie Tarses, whom executive producer Robert Morton was dating.[5] Rumors began to swirl that the series was only picked up as a result of their romance, and it did not help matters that the press was only shown snippets of the pilot episode.[6] In the months between the time the series was picked up and its scheduled premiere, Morton and Tarses' relationship ended.

Originally slated to debut on September 23, 1997[7] the show's premiere was delayed until October 21, opposite the World Series,[5] so it could be retooled. Natanya Ross and Debra Jo Rupp were replaced by Marla Sokoloff and Liz Torres, and John O'Hurley's character was written into the show on a recurring basis. Kate was renamed Hadley and her character became more sympathetic toward Simon. The setting was changed to New York City and the pilot was reshot (as the episode "I'm Bonnie, I'm Clyde"). The reason given for the retooling was because in NYC there would be more opportunities "for comedic interaction with city characters",[8] but the press began to speculate that the changes were again a result of the failed Tarses/Morton romance. Morton sidestepped this question by claiming, "We needed to give Tim a bigger playing field,"[7] and that the cast "was not as comfortable with each other as we wanted".[7] ABC, meanwhile, claimed that they did not want their 8:00 p.m. lead-in show, Soul Man, to face off against what was expected to be a high-rated season premiere of Mad About You,[7] so they rearranged the schedule. "By shifting Soul Man's time slot for the first few weeks of the season," Tarses released in a public statement, "we're giving this pivotal series the luxury to recapture its audience without intense premiere competition." [9] The show's stars, however, remained optimistic. Curry went on a promotional tour, appearing on talk shows such as The View,[10] Vibe,[11] Live with Regis and Kathie Lee,[12][13] and Arthel & Fred,[4] though interviewers seemed to focus less on Over the Top and more on The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Potts, meanwhile, also did some interviews, barely acknowledging the behind the scenes problems and claiming that the show should speak for itself.

Over the Top received minuscule network promotion (generally only small blurbs tacked onto the ends of commercials for Soul Man[14]) and aired for three weeks with dismal ratings before being canceled (in some markets the final November 4 episode was bumped off the schedule unannounced for election coverage, and some TV Guide listings were a little slow to catch up, citing the unaired episodes "Who's Afraid of Simon Ferguson?" and "The Review" in the weeks following the show's cancellation). Production was instantly halted two episodes shy of the standard 13-episode order for a new series,[15] and almost immediately following the show's cancellation, executive producers Mitchel Katlin and Nat Bernstein cried foul,[15] blaming the Morton/Tarses breakup for the demise of the show."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 2, 2021 11:15 PM

[quote]But Mad About You wasn’t about youths. It was about a middle-aged married couple.

When the show started, in 1992, Helen Hunt was 29 and Paul Reiser was 36. That's not "middle-aged."

And Jamie Tarses was 28.

by Anonymousreply 23February 2, 2021 11:19 PM

Her hairdo in the photo reminds me of that episode of "Seinfeld" when they're making the sitcom about george and Jerry's life, and they have the dedicated Method actress playing Elaine sitting in the hair stylist's chair before filming.

"HIGHER! HIGHER! It has to be a WALL of hair!"

by Anonymousreply 24February 2, 2021 11:21 PM

OP - she had an affair with Ryan Reynolds- the GAY BOY- mmm ok.

by Anonymousreply 25February 2, 2021 11:31 PM

[quote]When the show started, in 1992, Helen Hunt was 29 and Paul Reiser was 36. That's not "middle-aged."

It is on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 26February 2, 2021 11:40 PM

Helen was 29 and looked 49.

by Anonymousreply 27February 2, 2021 11:46 PM

She got some good cock.

by Anonymousreply 28February 2, 2021 11:47 PM

I loved “Happy Endings.” It was so much better than Friends. Didn’t know she was involved.

by Anonymousreply 29February 2, 2021 11:51 PM

Paul Reiser and Helen Hunt were born middle aged. There was nothing youthful about that show

by Anonymousreply 30February 2, 2021 11:54 PM

R21 Jamie was a Gen X who understood her Gen X audience. Helen Hunt is a Gen X.

by Anonymousreply 31February 3, 2021 12:08 AM

For a period of time, “Dharma & Greg” was the only prime time show on that network.

by Anonymousreply 32February 3, 2021 12:13 AM

[quote]For a period of time, “Dharma & Greg” was the only prime time show on that network.

WHAT?

by Anonymousreply 33February 3, 2021 12:17 AM

[quote]She died at a very young 56

Hahahah only on DL would 56 be “very young”.

by Anonymousreply 34February 3, 2021 12:27 AM

"Well, what’s your excuse for your mediocre life, [R1]? Since it can’t possibly be sexism."

Another woman hating homo with a knee-jerk response.

by Anonymousreply 35February 3, 2021 12:52 AM

R33, they ran D&G marathons for what seemed an entire summer.

by Anonymousreply 36February 3, 2021 7:58 AM

She looks like a young Taylor Dayne at the OP.

by Anonymousreply 37February 3, 2021 8:36 AM

But is she DEAD TO YOU, op?

by Anonymousreply 38February 3, 2021 8:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!