Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Volcano lava

Have you ever witnessed it up close and personal? It looks terrifying.

Are volcanologists insane?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 5, 2021 9:53 PM

That looks uncomfortably close.

by Anonymousreply 1February 1, 2021 2:33 AM

Beautiful but terrifying images

by Anonymousreply 2February 1, 2021 2:38 AM

First world problems

by Anonymousreply 3February 1, 2021 3:39 AM

Well the Kraffts are dead now.

by Anonymousreply 4February 1, 2021 4:31 AM

I heard Andy Cohen spews lava from his hole when he runs out of coke.

by Anonymousreply 5February 1, 2021 5:08 AM

How fast does lava flow?

by Anonymousreply 6February 1, 2021 5:54 PM

[quote]Volcano lava

As opposed to swamp lava?

by Anonymousreply 7February 1, 2021 5:55 PM

R6: "In general, lava flows slowly, with typical speeds of 0.25 mph (0.40 km/h) and maximum speeds of 6 to 30 mph (9.7 to 48.3 km/h) on steep slopes."

by Anonymousreply 8February 1, 2021 6:36 PM

I've been to Hawaii, and got to see some lava in person! I took a couple of helicopter rides over a roiling lava lake in the crater, and followed the river of lava to the sea in the copter, and hung out at the coast where the lava trickled into the ocean, setting clouds of steam. This was not slow-moving, avera, "a'a" lava, this was a fast-moving liquid lava that moved as fast as water flowing downhill, but which burned or melted everything in its path. I do not have the vocabulary to express how beautiful, awe-inspiring, and overhwhelming fast-moving lava is in person, how thrilling yet terrifying. In person the heat hits you like a fist and there's a hot smell I can't describe, it's nature at her most powerful and indifferent to humanity.

The scientists who walk out to the rivers of lava and take samples are out of their fucking minds, some of them die in their volcanoes like the Krafts, but I can see why they do it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 1, 2021 10:13 PM

Lava flow is mesmerizing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 1, 2021 10:31 PM

Liquid fire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 1, 2021 10:36 PM

Lava is as beautiful and mesmerizing as fire itself. It's not the main killer in volcanoes, though. That would be pyroclastic flows, which spread further and faster. They're not beautiful like lava flows; they're just hot, gray, fast-moving clouds of death and destruction. Mudflows - exactly what they sound like and caused by melting snow and ice - also kill many victims.

When it's possible to travel again, I recommend a visit to Mt St Helen National Volcanic Monument. It's the only place in the US where you can see the aftereffects of a Plinian eruption (the "Mt. Vesuvius destroys Pompeii" kind) of relatively recent vintage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 1, 2021 11:37 PM

^^^ Thirty Helens agree that the park is Mount St HelenS National Volcanic Monument.

by Anonymousreply 13February 1, 2021 11:40 PM

R7,

Now, now. So arch.

There are LOTS of torrens igneus. Liquefacta massa.

Lavas.

I have significant issues with bathroom lava when my blue-collar friends take a shower.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 1, 2021 11:44 PM

I've always wanted to visit Pompeii

by Anonymousreply 15February 2, 2021 2:07 AM

Flowing lava.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 2, 2021 2:25 AM

This looks unreal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 2, 2021 2:29 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 2, 2021 2:30 AM

They are just like the cysts of the earth.

by Anonymousreply 19February 2, 2021 3:11 AM

This is why Iceland is so high on my bucket list.

Awesome scenery, lovely people by all accounts, uncrowded and unspoiled, and LIVE VOLCANOES!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 2, 2021 7:15 AM

R17 that looks like something that happens after spicy Mexican food!

by Anonymousreply 21February 2, 2021 7:45 AM

I believe Mt. Etna is erupting right now, if anyone wants to see some lava in person.

I think the two most conveniently located and least dangerous volcanoes in the world are Mount Etna in Italy, and Kiluaea in Hawaii. Both are near major airports, and both are inclined to produce lovely flowing lava rather than pyroclastic flows, lava bombs, or massive ash clouds. That said, no volcano is EVER safe, visit at your own risk. Like I have, it was totally worth it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 3, 2021 3:17 AM
by Anonymousreply 23February 5, 2021 9:36 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 5, 2021 9:50 PM

You flew OVER a lava lake? Is that even allowed? Weren't there toxic gases?

by Anonymousreply 25February 5, 2021 9:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!