Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NYC Clubs of the 90's/00's

Roxy, Palladium, Limelight, USA, Roseland, Sound Factory, Tunnel, Twilo, Exit, etc. Let's get nostalgaic and share memories and stories of the last great clubbing era in Manhattan

by Anonymousreply 40February 2, 2021 4:46 AM

RIP, Michael Alig! The world is less interesting without you in it.

by Anonymousreply 1January 31, 2021 2:46 AM

We are going to another disco.

Disco after disco.

And shaking our hair to the disco rap.

AM/PM, Pyramid

Roxy, Mudd club, Danceteria

The newest club is opening up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 31, 2021 2:49 AM

Twilo was Bridge and Tunnel, full of boring straight kids and Guidos. I went twice and never returned.

by Anonymousreply 3January 31, 2021 2:52 AM

I worked for Marc Berkley at all of his events at Limelight, Tunnel, and Club USA. I briefly promoted a Mugler Room party at USA as well, and many smaller nights at other clubs.

I met a ton of cool people, was able to avoid most of the real world, remained sober through it and had a ton of fun especially bartending in my underwear on occasion. I loved going to and working at clubs. I'm not the most social person, I can be just a bit aloof, but I met a zillion fun, young, gorgeous early-mid 90s New Yorkers! So much fun.

by Anonymousreply 4January 31, 2021 3:00 AM

So sad that there's nothing like this anymore

by Anonymousreply 5January 31, 2021 3:03 AM

Remember all the people who'd stand outside giving flyers and you'd go home and look at which parties you'd be going to next

by Anonymousreply 6January 31, 2021 3:04 AM

I spent some time at the Tunnel and Exxpo when I was a very young teen. A friend was a dancer at Alvin Ailey, and we would dance in the cages until the early morning. We were very young and the drag queens at Limelight would turn us away if the cops were nearby but they’d always tells what clubs were more likely to let us in.

by Anonymousreply 7January 31, 2021 3:05 AM

Nothing compares to The Thirteenth Floor.

by Anonymousreply 8January 31, 2021 3:06 AM

I went to the Tunnel and got pregnant!

by Anonymousreply 9January 31, 2021 3:09 AM

I remember as a young gayling living in Canada listening to Johnny McGovern's gay pimping podcast from around 2007 and 2008 and the night life sounded so exciting even then.

by Anonymousreply 10January 31, 2021 3:34 AM

This thread had many memories of NYC 90s nightlife. Limelight was the best club I went to back then. I envy those who had the chance to go to The Saint, I would pick Saint over 54 if I had the chance. It seems like it was the best club ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 31, 2021 4:02 AM

This thread got derailed by sudden primetime last night, but I'd still like to hear peoples stories, especially on a snowy night when everyones inside!

by Anonymousreply 12February 1, 2021 12:39 AM

I think it's still Primetime. Fucking cunt Muriel is determined to kill this site.

by Anonymousreply 13February 1, 2021 1:08 AM

I once got stoned out of my mind at a Black Party at Roseland and stumbled out at 3:00 in the afternoon. Which was unwise because I worked in the office building directly next door.

by Anonymousreply 14February 1, 2021 1:42 AM

Limelight sucked - bubble rooms and club kids. Very Disney-ish. Sound Factory, Sound Factory Bar and Twilo were real clubs - where people went to dance and have fun, not to seem cool. Tunnel was somewhere in between - weekday nights could be fun but definite had that Limelight “need a gimmick” vibe. Though the bathrooms were fun - open drug dealing/taking zones.

I miss the dancing most. It felt like the 90s was a revival of the gay dancing clubs post-AIDS. Then Giuliani’s gestapo came and closed everything down and gentrification destroyed the fun party vibe of NYC.

by Anonymousreply 15February 1, 2021 1:55 PM

Don Hills was fun on Thursdays and Saturdays

God life sucks now.

by Anonymousreply 16February 1, 2021 2:13 PM

Don't forget Pyramid. Also, The World, where I saw Yom Tom Club in concert.

by Anonymousreply 17February 1, 2021 4:14 PM

R1 you live in a sad world

by Anonymousreply 18February 1, 2021 4:22 PM

Palladium, Limelight, and Tunnel had their heydays in the 80s, buddy OP.

The 80s were a better clubbing decade than the oughts and arguably better than the 90s.

The 70s were quite good as it was the divided between live music clubs and discos, both excellent.

by Anonymousreply 19February 1, 2021 4:25 PM

If any club had a Disney bullshit vibe, it was Club USA

by Anonymousreply 20February 1, 2021 4:25 PM

GG Barnum Room a decade earlier with trapeze artists swinging over the dance floor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 1, 2021 4:26 PM

R19 Limelight in the 90s was INSANE

by Anonymousreply 22February 1, 2021 4:26 PM

R17 - also those were 80s clubs Pyramid and World.

OP doesn't know his history, AT ALL.

by Anonymousreply 23February 1, 2021 4:26 PM

Limelight was a chic club when it opened in the 80s. It was one of those uptown meets downtown clubs. Anyone could go there. It was 6 zillion times more hip and chic than the hideous club kids era. But it fell off quickly.

by Anonymousreply 24February 1, 2021 4:28 PM

GG Barnum was the weirdest

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 1, 2021 4:28 PM

Many of you don't know your club history. I think there is a nightlife museum now in NY? Or one was proposed - in the East Village?

by Anonymousreply 26February 1, 2021 4:29 PM

R26 your question marks suggest you don't know either

by Anonymousreply 27February 1, 2021 4:30 PM

Bentley's did what Club Kid Limelight did, better, more amusingly, and earlier. Club Kid Limelight was a mess. But I guess that could be your criteria. Messy clubs of New York!

by Anonymousreply 28February 1, 2021 4:31 PM

Where is this museum, then?

by Anonymousreply 29February 1, 2021 4:31 PM

Anyone who thinks Limelight was dead in the 90s wasn't there

by Anonymousreply 30February 1, 2021 4:32 PM

I think the people of Jackie 60 were trying to create one.

by Anonymousreply 31February 1, 2021 4:32 PM

Did I say dead? No I did not say dead. I said it was a mess, compared to the chic thing it was for about 2 years in the 80s.

My contribution to this thread is that Some of the places you associate with 90s are in fact 80s. Palladium is 100% identified with its opening years - the 80s! Tunnel as well. Tunnel was in fact a membership club when it first opened. It was quite chic and hip. But that didn't last and they needed to create parties.

by Anonymousreply 32February 1, 2021 4:35 PM

As you have heard in the thread on Club Kids, many of us experienced night owls were appalled with the scene at Limelight in the 90s. That doesn't mean we didn't drop in a few time. It was not a good energy club at that time. It wasn't creative it was 100% derivative with kids who weren't nearly as clever as they thought they were. And the music sucked.

by Anonymousreply 33February 1, 2021 4:37 PM

And my point is further proven that OP posts an 80s song and performance by Nina Hagen, to illustrate his 90s/00s thread.

It's the 80s, gals.

by Anonymousreply 34February 1, 2021 4:40 PM

R32 heteros go to chic clubs

by Anonymousreply 35February 1, 2021 4:43 PM

that's silly R35

by Anonymousreply 36February 1, 2021 4:51 PM

is it? R36

by Anonymousreply 37February 1, 2021 5:54 PM

I never said that any or all of the clubs mentioned were or weren't big or better in the 80's. I made a thread about clubbing in the 90's and included clubs that were big in the 90's irrespective of whether they were bigger in the 80's, the same in the 80's or never existed in the 80's. Also I never posted any Nina Hagen song, that was someone else. Instead of incorrectly nitpicking about this bullshit, how about contributing something interesting instead.

by Anonymousreply 38February 2, 2021 2:12 AM

It was the best time to be alive in 80s NYC. Clubs were so fire. Everyone danced and fucked right where they felt then AIDS got real. It was a Covid feeling of dread. But man the music and fun carefree vibe of 80s NYC was a blip in time I’d give my left nut to go back to.

by Anonymousreply 39February 2, 2021 3:07 AM

The first fall/winter that Palladium was open in late 1985 was the most exciting nightclub moment, there was simply nothing ever like it, maybe the Saint earlier in the 80s in some ways. The Saint (before they remodeled the crazy staircases) was the most electric, but for an even larger crowd Palladium came very close.

Oh, to be young, and in the potent thrall of the 80s dancefloor.....sigh. I remember thirty-five years ago a Heineken at Palladium was $4.25...that was a lot of money! I was there on a Thursday night with friends from out of town and dancing near us were Boy George and Mickey Rourke! We were dying.

by Anonymousreply 40February 2, 2021 4:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!