Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A Discovery of Witches

Despite the bland blonde who can't act in the lead it had story promise in the first season.

Now it is just a vampire version of Outlander.

Jumped the shark indeed.

by Anonymousreply 5February 15, 2021 12:33 AM

I don't watch children's television, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 1January 30, 2021 10:35 AM

The author was interviewed for the Folger Shakespeare Library podcast a couple of years ago, and the discussion got me interested in watching the series because the idea behind it was that during Shakespeare's era, the common, everyday belief and understanding was that witches, daemons, faeries, sprites, etc., are a real part of the world and live among us, and that's just that. And the story was supposed to be set in a world like that.

I watched about one and a half episodes, and it seemed like the story was just going to be the typical witch versus vampire schlock I've seen too many times and I didn't bother with it. I don't know why, but I've always been drawn to stories involving witches and supernatural/fantastical beings like tricksters, but I don't have any patience for vampires, werewolves or zombies. I almost abandoned Game of Thrones because of the ice zombies, and despite the series having been a great ride until the final two seasons, by the end, I did sort of resent everything about the zombie storyline. It really served no purpose in the end, with the whole army of them being vaporized with one jab.

by Anonymousreply 2January 30, 2021 10:57 AM

Agree - loved the first season. I didn't make it past most of the second episode in season 2.

by Anonymousreply 3January 30, 2021 1:44 PM

I liked the books. They were fun and entertaining. The show is good. I think it helps that I read the books as I find myself having to explain a lot to my partner, who is watching it with me and hasn't read the books. It's not great, but it's decent enough where I will stick with it.

What I can't understand, though, is why TPTB chose two extremely boring leads for the show. Matthew Goode ruins everything he is in. He was drab on The Good Wife, he bored me to tears as Lady Mary's new love and eventual second husband on Downton Abbey, and he's not exactly exciting on A Discovery of Witches. How does he keep getting cast in so many projects? Teresa Palmer as Diana is just so dull. She has picked it up a bit in Season 2, but not by much.

by Anonymousreply 4January 30, 2021 6:09 PM

Man, the books were so good.

by Anonymousreply 5February 15, 2021 12:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!