Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why did Franklin Pierce marry such a miserable, dowdy, sickly mope?

Inspired by the "Modern images of early Presidents" thread.

At least Abe and Mary Todd equal in looks (plus Mary had her familial status and social connections).

Franklin was known for his good looks, but he married this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 31, 2021 7:56 PM

Most women were total fuggos back then.

by Anonymousreply 1January 30, 2021 4:17 AM

If he hadn't, we wouldn't have been blessed with DL icon Bar Bush, she of the beautiful mind.

Her father was a Pierce.

by Anonymousreply 2January 30, 2021 4:23 AM

I could have had anyone! ANYONE!

by Anonymousreply 3January 30, 2021 4:26 AM

Franklin's first wife Jane suffered from depression and all of their three children died young.

His second wife's name was Anna Kendrick.

A northern Democrat, he is considered to be one of the worst presidents in U.S. history, whose policies contributed to the start of the Civil War four years after he left office.

He was a vocal critic of Abraham Lincoln during the Civil War.

He died at 63 of cirrhosis of the living, having been a heavy drinker all of his life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 30, 2021 4:41 AM

^^cirrhosis of the liver

by Anonymousreply 5January 30, 2021 4:43 AM

Nathaniel Hawthorne died in the bed next to him. They said they loved each other more than they loved their wives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 30, 2021 5:21 AM

Well now I know where that big ol' trapping Barbara Pierce Bush gets her looks from

not to mention her ability to put away copious quantities of alcohol and the way she EATS!

Dear God, don't ever invite that woman to your house for dinner

by Anonymousreply 7January 30, 2021 5:50 AM

[quote] Nathaniel Hawthorne died in the bed next to him.

That’s why they called him Nathaniel WHOREthorne.

by Anonymousreply 8January 30, 2021 6:05 AM

Cirrhosis of the Living is the new Trump documentary I'm making.

by Anonymousreply 9January 30, 2021 6:24 AM

Men marry unattractive women for the same reason women marry unattractive men. Status. They typically come from money and a good family name. It’s all about the pedigree.

by Anonymousreply 10January 30, 2021 6:27 AM

[quote]cirrhosis of the living

DL in a nutshell.

by Anonymousreply 11January 30, 2021 6:29 AM

She could suck a golf ball through a garden hose.

by Anonymousreply 12January 30, 2021 12:07 PM

Wasn't Mary Todd notorious for being a pass around bottom in her day?

by Anonymousreply 13January 30, 2021 12:20 PM

[quote]Franklin's first wife Jane suffered from depression and all of their three children died young. His second wife's name was Anna Kendrick.

R4 that Wiki article you linked says that Pierce was only married once. Unless you're making some weird joke that I don't get.

by Anonymousreply 14January 30, 2021 7:57 PM

And Gad Dayum, Bar Bush was a bow-wow even back back in her youth. Her lack of... feminine beauty and delicacy reminds me of Janet Huckabee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 30, 2021 8:01 PM

All women photographed as "fuggo" back then, because they didn't wear makeup, and they didn't smile for photographs, and modern tastes say that women are only attractive if they smile and wear makeup.

Although in her case, I will admit that under the lack of makeup and unsmiling face... is a very plain woman. Pierce must have been like 80% of politicians, and married someone whose money and status could help his career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 31, 2021 1:36 AM

[quote]All women photographed as "fuggo" back then, because they didn't wear makeup, and they didn't smile for photographs, and modern tastes say that women are only attractive if they smile and wear makeup.

No, they were just fug. It had nothing to do with not smiling or wearing makeup.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 31, 2021 2:16 AM

Barbara Bush was not even a handsome woman. She was ugly as sin from the day she was born. If she hadn't been born wealthy she would have ended up a toothless, penniless spinster aunt whom everyone in her family loathes.

by Anonymousreply 18January 31, 2021 8:48 AM

Victorian era photos and houses give me the creeps so badly.

by Anonymousreply 19January 31, 2021 9:10 AM

r14 It was his mother whose name was Anna Kendrick. He was only married once.

by Anonymousreply 20January 31, 2021 9:26 AM

Gay men married back then to have kids. Period. The only two gay men who I saw be picky about their "wife" were Oscar Wilde and Freddie Mercury, but I assume they were thinking maybe the kids will turn out beautiful or they were just artists and ugly/dowdy wouldn't have been inspirational. If I had to have a wife and if I do, after 55, if I find no partner, I wouldn't like to live with someone I didn't at least consider pleasant to look at...obviously I am not superficial.

by Anonymousreply 21January 31, 2021 9:37 AM

^Idk about OW, but Freddie was bi and truly loved Mary.

by Anonymousreply 22January 31, 2021 7:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!