Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I want to learn how to eat 'left-handed.'

It involves holding the fork in left hand and using the knife (in right hand) to push the food on the fork. Very sophisticated. I can't do it and need to learn. Any suggestions appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 40January 30, 2021 7:30 PM

You have a lot of time on your hands, don't you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1January 29, 2021 9:11 PM

ambidextrous eating is the true goal of a real dl fattie

by Anonymousreply 2January 29, 2021 9:13 PM

Omg thank goodness I grew up eating the continental way otherwise I’d be fucked.

by Anonymousreply 3January 29, 2021 9:13 PM

That’s the euro way to eat. I eat like that when I’m out and feel like being pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 4January 29, 2021 9:13 PM

One of my siblings (we're American) eats left-handed as an affectation. You're supposed to stab your food tines-down and put the fork into your mouth tines-down as well, but she ignores that part. What a pretense.

by Anonymousreply 5January 29, 2021 9:16 PM

Dine on this related thread OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 29, 2021 9:16 PM

OP, what kind of help do you imagine you'll receive through Datalounge? In depth technical analysis? YouTube links to video tutorials?

[quote]It involves holding the fork in left hand and using the knife (in right hand) to push the food on the fork

Okay. Have you tried, well, trying? Practicing? Giving it a whirl?

Is something wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 7January 29, 2021 9:19 PM

I hate seeing this in American movies. Nobody here actually eats like that.

by Anonymousreply 8January 29, 2021 9:23 PM

R5 needs to be shipped off to finishing school in Switzerland. Prongs down to pick up and rotate and the reverse to insert into mouth.

by Anonymousreply 9January 29, 2021 9:27 PM

I'm right-handed but eat with my left. Have always been that way. It's because I'm SPECIAL.

Envious (NOT jealous), bitches?????

by Anonymousreply 10January 29, 2021 9:32 PM

I've never had any idea why this European style is considered sophisticated. It involves a lot of pushing and scraping of the food—the British actually do a lot of mashing to keep the food on the back of the tines, and then have to lean way over before the food falls on the plate. Absolutely nauseating to sit across from.

by Anonymousreply 11January 29, 2021 9:40 PM

I enjoy the fork and spoon method employed in Asia.

by Anonymousreply 12January 29, 2021 9:42 PM

Yes, to all of you consider it pretentious and continental. That is exactly the reason I need to learn how to do it. I've tried practicing and it feels so unnatural!

by Anonymousreply 13January 29, 2021 9:43 PM

Well, I guess everyone needs a hobby during the pandemic. I suppose it's better than my fast food thread.

by Anonymousreply 14January 29, 2021 9:46 PM

If it's something you really want to do, OP, you have to do it all the time, even at home when no one is watching you. Then, it will be a habit.

by Anonymousreply 15January 29, 2021 9:47 PM

You are so right, R11. Every time I've seen a Brit or Aussie do this, they pile up food on their forks then lean over their plates while they shove those huge globs into their gaping maws. They would look just as "classy" if they tore their food apart with their bare hands and stuffed it in their pie holes.

by Anonymousreply 16January 29, 2021 9:57 PM

Is anyone else oddly attracted to left handed people? Not sexually necessary, but just as people? I find them to be (anecdotally anyway) much more interesting and often fascinating.

It's just me, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 17January 29, 2021 9:57 PM

R15 I try but it's so unnatural. I actually using my fingers to eat whenever I can...chicken, string beans, and such. I know a guy who uses a knife and fork on a dill pickle sliver. I also had an aunt who would eat a Snickers bar with a knife and fork. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 18January 29, 2021 10:00 PM

Anyone eat pizza with a knife and fork?

by Anonymousreply 19January 29, 2021 10:00 PM

It's quite easy. Just do it, without fail -- no switching back and forth-- until you have conquered it, which should be days, a couple of weeks, maybe.

As a kid I was mostly ambidextrous, and without any practice could (and can still) write well with either hand though one is slightly favored and produces a bit smoother looking result. For all else the hands are equal. Whenever my older brother saw me using my left hand he flew into a red-faced rage to the point where it looked as though he might explode, literally, not just invective and calling me a little retard and little flag.

He brought the subject up for years and when I was 11 or 12 I got the idea of eating European style just to watch his blood vessels pop. It worked like a charm - all his life anything the least "different" set him the fuck off.

And it only took a few days to get the habit down.

Now I can "code switch" eating styles. It's curious to see who notices, but they are few

by Anonymousreply 20January 29, 2021 10:00 PM

Start jacking off with your left hand only. After a month or so, eating with your left hand will be a snap.

by Anonymousreply 21January 29, 2021 10:02 PM

What a thing to fixate on.

I'm naturally left handed and have used my utensils this way since I was old enough to hold them.

My mom thought it was "weird" and insisted someone must have taught me to do that. Nevermind that I grew up in the middle of nowhere.

No one else in my family does it. Even my left handed brother doesn't.

I guess it is "weird" in that I'm the only one who does it and always have.

by Anonymousreply 22January 29, 2021 10:02 PM

[quote] calling me a little retard and little flag.

Like the flag of Nepal?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 29, 2021 10:11 PM

[quote]Anyone eat pizza with a knife and fork?

I always use a knife and fork to eat a Snickers bar.

by Anonymousreply 24January 29, 2021 10:34 PM

The easy availability of fork food has completely ruined any skill I once had with a knife. I don’t think I could eat roast chicken without my fingers now, so I never order it at a restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 25January 29, 2021 11:42 PM

Were you raised by coyotes, OP?

Never learned how to eat like a civilized person with a knife and fork?

by Anonymousreply 26January 30, 2021 1:28 AM

I eat continental style. I cut with the fork tines down, but I don't put the food on the back of the fork. Miss Manners would recoil in horror. I recently traveled with my sister for the first time in years and realized she eats in the American manner, so I'm sure I did as well as a child. The crossing back and forth seems strange to me.

by Anonymousreply 27January 30, 2021 2:13 AM

I did it when I had a pinched nerve in my right arm, and was surprised how easy it was to adapt.

by Anonymousreply 28January 30, 2021 2:26 AM

I don't understand the putting food on the back of the fork thing. Do they flip their teacup upside-down and drink from the little foot indentation too? Smoke their cigarettes butt first?

by Anonymousreply 29January 30, 2021 2:28 AM

R29, using the back of the tines elevates the food to your mouth, requires less arm movement, and prevents shoveling.

Brideshead Revisited is where I picked up the affectation as a gayling and my mother HATED it.

by Anonymousreply 30January 30, 2021 2:38 AM

You say that r30 but all I see is people shoveling food from a pile into their mouths. I am trash through so ymmv ;)

by Anonymousreply 31January 30, 2021 2:43 AM

This is what a typical continental-style eater usually looks like to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 30, 2021 3:45 AM

I don't even use my hands to eat I just stick my face into the food it's much easier

by Anonymousreply 33January 30, 2021 4:04 AM

Canadians and British use the 2 handed approach. i can't figure it out but i would like to. switching hands to cut things seems pretty uncivil.

by Anonymousreply 34January 30, 2021 4:30 AM

Wait, I always eat like this- fork in left hand, knife in right, tines down. We're adults... I'm confused...

by Anonymousreply 35January 30, 2021 6:39 PM

R35, If you’ve ever seen a hung-over high queen eat fried eggs, you would understand that many of us have the dining manners of an Airedale.

by Anonymousreply 36January 30, 2021 6:41 PM

R36, lol. I'm too prissy to live.

by Anonymousreply 37January 30, 2021 6:48 PM

You can train your non-dominant hand to do things by performing the same action with your dominant hand at the same time--i.e., since you're right-handed, hold a fork in your right hand and use it normally, while also holding a fork in your left hand and try to do the same. You'll find it's easier to use your left hand while simultaneously using your right. I am not a neuroscientist so my understanding of why this is so is limited, but I believe it's a matter of the two hemispheres of your brain communicating. Eventually, you will likely find you can use your left hand to perform said tasks efficiently without also using your right.

by Anonymousreply 38January 30, 2021 6:55 PM

Americans got the way we eat from the EuroTrade but then they are the ones that changed, then they bitch about us.

by Anonymousreply 39January 30, 2021 7:06 PM

What's the big deal? I'm left handed . I eat and wipe with my left hand.😂

by Anonymousreply 40January 30, 2021 7:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!