Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Welsh

What’s the deal with them?

by Anonymousreply 116March 16, 2023 2:27 AM

They live in a country called Wales OP.

What do you think the deal is with them?

by Anonymousreply 1January 29, 2021 5:41 AM

Their prince is a giant turd.

by Anonymousreply 2January 29, 2021 5:43 AM

The don’t honor IOUs.

by Anonymousreply 3January 29, 2021 5:44 AM

Stingy, cold, and closed-minded.

by Anonymousreply 4January 29, 2021 6:35 AM

They invented grape juice.

by Anonymousreply 5January 29, 2021 6:36 AM

R5 really?

by Anonymousreply 6January 29, 2021 6:37 AM

They're the Canadians of the U.K.

by Anonymousreply 7January 29, 2021 6:40 AM

Their language is mesmerizing despite sounding like Klingon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 29, 2021 6:42 AM

What is their culture like and are their accents easier to understand than the Scots?

by Anonymousreply 9January 29, 2021 6:42 AM

R8, wow. That doesn’t sound anything like Scotch or Irish Gaelic.

by Anonymousreply 10January 29, 2021 6:45 AM

I like that video at R8.

I had no idea Matthew Rhys spoke Welsh.

It's cool.

by Anonymousreply 11January 29, 2021 6:52 AM

The love the music of Lawrence Welsh, and they drink a lot of grape juice.

by Anonymousreply 12January 29, 2021 6:58 AM

We have true black hair and our rivers run black from coal. We are great readers and great raconteurs.

And we have only five surnames amongst us.

by Anonymousreply 13January 29, 2021 7:05 AM

39 year old actress Catherine Zeta Jones is Welsh.

by Anonymousreply 14January 29, 2021 7:06 AM

The gravelly voiced among them tend to be dirty fuckers, up for it, have noteworthy stamina, and great fun.

by Anonymousreply 15January 29, 2021 7:12 AM

A yw'r OP ar gyffuriau?

by Anonymousreply 16January 29, 2021 7:19 AM

[quote] And we have only five surnames amongst us.

[quote] —Jones, Evans, Williams, Davies, Thomas

Don't forget Gruffudd!

by Anonymousreply 17January 29, 2021 7:22 AM

"Why Richard, it profit a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world... but for Wales!"

by Anonymousreply 18January 29, 2021 7:24 AM

R6 is so gullible!

by Anonymousreply 19January 29, 2021 7:25 AM

So, are Welsh schools bilingual or do people just learn Welsh from their families?

by Anonymousreply 20January 29, 2021 7:25 AM

When they lose a bet, they’re not good at paying the money they owe!

by Anonymousreply 21January 29, 2021 7:25 AM

Their rabbits look like open-face sandwiches with some nasty goo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 29, 2021 7:37 AM

They have the longest wi-fi passwords on earth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 29, 2021 7:53 AM

R18...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 29, 2021 8:47 AM

The language may not sound anything like Irish or Scottish to us, but my dad, sister and I visited my mom's distant cousin in gaeltacht western Ireland a couple of years ago, where the Irish language has continued to be spoken and never was eradicated, and some people told us that Irish and Scottish have very little in common and they feel closest both linguistically and culturally to Wales.

Linguistically, Breton (spoken in Brittany, France) and Cornish (Cornwall, England) are the closest languages to Welsh.

I've learned a little bit about Cornwal because I like Tori Amos a lot, and she has lived there for years because her husband is Cornish. I never realized Cornwal has a whole culture and history of its own as Wales does. It is "just" a county in England, but it has an independence movement of residents who want it to receive some sort of formal recognition of independence to honor its specific culture and history. Tori released an EP called Christmastide this year, and some of the songs on it aren't exactly Christmas songs but instead are based in local Cornish pre-Christian beliefs.

I just mention it because I've been interested to learn how different these relatively small regions are and how deep their histories run.

I live in the DC area, and this area should be rich with old histories stemming back to Algonquin and other tribes, but it has been wiped out. I find it moving that Wales, Cornwall, Brittany, western Ireland et al. have been able to preserve some of their pre-colonial cultures.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 29, 2021 9:17 AM

Why are so many white Welsh people very tanned or even comparatively dark skinned even without any known, recent history of multiracial ancestry?

by Anonymousreply 26January 29, 2021 9:23 AM

R26 It's very weird that people don't seem to register how many British people are 'swarthy,' with dark hair and sometimes more olive-hued skin. It's not uncommon at all in the British isles, but because they get little sun and are mixed with a population that includes very pale and fair people rather than a more uniform look as in the Mediterranean, it seems to be lost on people.

Wales is thought to have been settled around 30,000 years ago by Central Europeans. These are the Celtic tribes of people who brought fair, reddish hair, pale skin, etc.

Wales was conquered by the Romans beginning in 48 AD. So they became integrated with Roman people and, no surprise, the population of Celts and Romans mixing brought about a mixed-looking population. This era lasted 400 years before the Anglo-Saxon Germanic tribes came in and then Vikings from Scandinavia.

According to Wikipedia, "The Anglo-Saxons called the Romano-British *Walha, meaning 'Romanised foreigner' or 'stranger'."

So it seems the Roman influence on Wales was easily identifiable both culturally and appearances-wise. They were regarded as "strangers" in their own land by invaders.

I've been reading about British history since my Ancestry DNA test revealed that I'm about 60 percent British (now broken down into English and Scottish separately) because I never even thought of British as an ethic group in and of itself and it seemed like the most boring possible culture to have come from.

But the reality is that the British Isles have been a temperate sitting duck for millennia that have attracted invaders from all areas surrounding them, and before the Brits became colonists, they had waves of invaders from all over Europe coming in and changing their cultures endlessly. And small territories of the small islands, such as Wales, have developed distinct ethinic identities and cultures. Not all parts of Britain were successfully invaded by Rome, and Wales was totally changed by Roman invasion, which almost certainly explains why many Welsh people look 'exotic.'

Meanwhile, the remaining 40ish percent of my background is from western Ireland, which is totally opposite: the lands there are barren and the weather is rough and so they never were invaded until the Brits annexed them--but even then, unlike the rest of Ireland, the people in the region my family came from never were forced to give up the Irish language. So genetically, the population of far Western Ireland is concentrated unliked mixed populations of most of the British Isles, and the closest genetic relative to the people of that region of Western Ireland is the Basque people from Spain and France. That is likely because they fled Spain as refugees, sailed up the coast and crashed in the rough waters off the west coast of Ireland, and survivors integrated with the local people. It is likely that some seafaring Iberian people also ended up in Wales given where Wales is geographically, and so that would introduce more dark features in addition to the Roman influences.

by Anonymousreply 27January 29, 2021 9:59 AM

R27 Fucking hell you're boring.

by Anonymousreply 28January 29, 2021 10:08 AM

A friend of mine speaks Welsh as her first language. We trained together as mental health nurses. The first time she wrote up a patient’s admission, she wrote it entirely in Welsh. The ward manager thought she was having a psychotic episode.

by Anonymousreply 29January 29, 2021 10:09 AM

R28 is a proud know-nothing.

by Anonymousreply 30January 29, 2021 10:09 AM

[quote] The first time she wrote up a patient’s admission, she wrote it entirely in Welsh. The ward manager thought she was having a psychotic episode.

I actually laughed out loud.

by Anonymousreply 31January 29, 2021 10:11 AM

Gaslighting cruel cunts

by Anonymousreply 32January 29, 2021 10:13 AM

I was told we’re good singers and drinkers who will flirt with your grandma and then piss in your cupboard.

Of course, there’s been a lot of dilution since they immigrated to the US so it’s not like we can give Wales all the credit.

by Anonymousreply 33January 29, 2021 10:22 AM

Well hung, good stamina, hairy holes. Uncut.

by Anonymousreply 34January 29, 2021 10:34 AM

I could pick out Catherine Zeta-Jones from any crowd based on R34's description!

by Anonymousreply 35January 29, 2021 10:37 AM

Soap opera. It's no Coronation Street.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 29, 2021 10:37 AM

I grew up with Pobol y Cwm. I've lived in Lloegr a Ffrainc (England and France) for the last three decades, so I rarely see it these days. There is currently a cute gay couple in it, though.

by Anonymousreply 37January 29, 2021 10:46 AM

Yes, Iolo and Tyler, r37. But they're divorced, I thought -- though it's a soap so... love Tyler's beard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 29, 2021 10:57 AM

I haven't seen it for a couple of years, and I thought they had only just got married back then! Still, as you say, things are different in Soapland.

by Anonymousreply 39January 29, 2021 10:59 AM

Men of Harlech on to glory, this will ever be your story, keep these burning words before ye, Welshmen will not yield!

by Anonymousreply 40January 29, 2021 11:11 AM

To get from Conwy in the North to Cardiff in the South takes well over 4 hours, they are only 150 miles apart but it's quicker to drive back into England and then cross back into South Wales.

by Anonymousreply 41January 29, 2021 11:19 AM

So, one of the most striking, adventurous, ultra exhibitionist men I’ve found on Twitter is this guy. He’s switched up his name many times, but used Lawrence quite a bit. He’s like the ultimate renaissance man, he plays music, is an artist, avid outdoors man, world traveler, athlete and a very proud and unapologetically gay man. He’s tall, very manly, extremely well endowed, kinky and fetishictic and will basically be my concept of what Welsh men are like. I know already many of you will hate on his face, butter and all that, but I find him handsome and charming. He also has on OF, but there’s enough content on his Twitter I can’t imagine needing more. I would run away with him for the rest of my life if he asked me and die a happy man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 29, 2021 11:20 AM

My paternal grandfather and his mysterious ancestors (long story) are from Pembrokeshire and I've lived on the Wenglish border most of my life, so even though I don't speak Welsh fluently (broken, basic conversation is my limit) and my passport says I'm English, I do consider myself partially Welsh (a third, perhaps). I've inherited the pleasant singing voice and the liking for poetry as well as the fair ruddy complexion with curls, but I'm also a blond and not in the least bit outgoing or flirtatious (which is the Anglo-Saxon part of my DNA, I suppose). Shamefacedly, I also have to admit I don't enjoy the rugby, and I don't drink like a champion either. Personally I find the full-blood Welsh locals to be thoroughly decent and hospitable sorts for the most part, certainly more fun than the English, but also somewhat insular and provincial. I like it here, but I'm not sure if I can stay the rest of my adult life if I ever want to fulfil my ambitions and find a chosen family of fellow gays. AMA.

by Anonymousreply 43January 29, 2021 11:33 AM

When I’m in the Main Line outside Philadelphia I always feel magically transported to Wales from all the names.

by Anonymousreply 44January 29, 2021 11:34 AM

It is a civilized land, where men like OP are locked in county jails.

by Anonymousreply 45January 29, 2021 11:35 AM

Yes, r42. OOMPH

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 29, 2021 11:37 AM

Don't let them get sweaty!

Their BO smells like leeks.

by Anonymousreply 47January 29, 2021 11:42 AM

Youngish Burton was a dream bottom

by Anonymousreply 48January 29, 2021 11:46 AM

^And spoke elegantly too!

by Anonymousreply 49January 29, 2021 11:48 AM

their politicians wear plaid

they have rare bits

by Anonymousreply 50January 29, 2021 1:30 PM

Wales has some really beautiful landscapes. I've been to Pembrokeshire many times and the coastal landscape is stunning.

by Anonymousreply 51January 29, 2021 1:44 PM

Extraordinary interview of Richard Burton, in which he describes his Welsh upbringing, and the tough working-class life of many of them, including his. A miner's life was typical of so many of them. In fact, being a miner was a source a pride for them, since they considered it to be specialized craft superior to others associated with working-class people.

He also was fluent in Welsh, his native tongue, and spoke it with his father. Watch this interview if you have the time; it's very enjoyable and insightful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 29, 2021 2:19 PM

Very Annie Mary is a good portrayal of eccentric Welsh. Rachel Griffiths is fantastic in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53January 29, 2021 2:42 PM

HM The Queen’s hat at Prince Charles’s investiture as Prince of Wales was pretty far out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54January 29, 2021 5:40 PM

R45 A friend of mine lives in Pembs. Beautiful part of the world. Lovely to visit the national park. Beautiful beaches, St David's etc. Love going there.

by Anonymousreply 55January 30, 2021 2:14 AM

[quote] That doesn’t sound anything like Scotch or Irish Gaelic.

Are you referring to Scots - an English dialect - or Scots Gaelic? Scots Gaelic has its roots in Irish but is separated by about 700 years and is considered a separate language. Neither of those sound at all like Welsh - while all three are Celtic languages only Irish and Scots Gaelic are of the same language family (along with Manx).

Some other facts about Wales:

There are only three last names: Davies, Jones, and Rhys. If they need to create more they hyphenate any two in combination.

In a typical village in Wales you’ll find just one Gay living there at any point in time.

by Anonymousreply 56January 30, 2021 2:47 AM

They’re welchers! They never pay up!

by Anonymousreply 57January 30, 2021 3:39 AM

Genetically speaking, they are more closely related to whales than any other people.

by Anonymousreply 58January 30, 2021 3:41 AM

The Welsh are known for their singing and choruses. The language has had quite a revival in the last century.

Burton's real name is Jenkins, another very common Welsh name.

by Anonymousreply 59January 30, 2021 4:03 AM

I'm trying to remember which Brit said the Welsh were the only people in Great Britain who didn't have hang-ups surrounding sex - that they were a quite horny lot, and he was surprised the rest of the kingdom managed to have sex often enough to replace themselves.

Maybe it'll come to me.... Don't think it was Stephen Frye or John Cleese... somebody like that.

by Anonymousreply 60January 30, 2021 4:06 AM

He is fucking fabulous R42 !

by Anonymousreply 61January 30, 2021 4:10 AM

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 30, 2021 4:39 AM

R27, according to some troll on DL the Welsh have to be POC.

by Anonymousreply 63January 30, 2021 1:26 PM

The national dish of Wales. It is served weekly in each home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64January 30, 2021 1:28 PM

R64, I thought it referred to rare meat.

by Anonymousreply 65January 30, 2021 6:23 PM

by Anonymousreply 66March 19, 2021 9:04 PM

They produce some pretty boys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 19, 2021 9:09 PM

I am a Brythonic Pagan of several years, Wenglish in origin (Welsh grandparents), feel free to AMA about the lore (not the language though, I barely speak it lmao).

by Anonymousreply 68March 19, 2021 11:25 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69June 8, 2021 7:25 AM

They are very homophobic. Like most UK people and Australians.

by Anonymousreply 70June 8, 2021 7:31 AM

[quote]In a typical village in Wales you’ll find just one Gay living there at any point in time.

R56, you mean Dafydd!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 8, 2021 7:46 AM

[quote]Very Annie Mary is a good portrayal of eccentric Welsh. Rachel Griffiths is fantastic in it.

She really is fantastic, apart from the accent.

by Anonymousreply 72June 8, 2021 7:49 AM

Michael Sheen was so cute in 30 Rock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73June 8, 2021 7:56 AM

[quote]So, are Welsh schools bilingual or do people just learn Welsh from their families?

There's been a strict policy to increase Welsh medium education in Wales. Most new schools built are Welsh language and in the bigger towns and cities there comes with an element of selection, i.e. middle class parents will try and get their kids into Welsh schools because they're seen as more prestigious.

Some public sector services are now limiting employment opportunities to Welsh language speakers which will inevitably be challenged by racial minority groups who are less likely to speak Welsh.

The problem with limiting employment to Welsh speakers in schools and public services is that you have a very small pool to recruit from. Everyone speaks English as well so can work anywhere in the UK, Ireland, Commonwealth countries etc. You end up with low calibre employees because that's all that's available.

by Anonymousreply 74June 8, 2021 8:06 AM

Sir (Philip) Anthony Hopkins from Port Talbot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 8, 2021 8:07 AM

I'd love to go to Wales, but I'm not really sure where to go and the most beautiful parts appear inaccessible without a car

by Anonymousreply 76June 8, 2021 9:34 AM

The designer Laura Ashley was influenced by early visits to her elderly grandmother’s house in Wales, and later established her studios and print factory there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77June 8, 2021 10:54 AM

Of course, not sure how Wales felt being associated with THIS...!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78June 8, 2021 10:58 AM

More gingers per capita than any other people. Or is that the Scots?

by Anonymousreply 79June 8, 2021 11:01 AM

[quote]The designer Laura Ashley was influenced by early visits to her elderly grandmother’s house in Wales, and later established her studios and print factory there.

Charlotte Church has purchased Laura Ashley's old mansion and is turning it into a centre for superior people.

[quote]Our community will be held together by a system of non-hierarchical participatory democracy, where each member of the community has the right to an equal say and vote on decisions about how the community is run.

What could possibly go wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80June 8, 2021 11:27 AM

My last name is Welsh, but we’ve been ne’erdowells in the US since 1800.

Of course, my dream is to open a commune for violent old homeless lesbians if I win the lottery, So I fully support Charlotte’s endeavor.

by Anonymousreply 81June 8, 2021 1:19 PM

Jason Hughes from Midsomer Murders. Yum.

by Anonymousreply 82June 8, 2021 1:22 PM

R37/R38/R39 currently I'm watching Iolo's romance storylines from the beginning, to improve my Welsh listening and speaking.

His first serious boyfriend, William the policeman, was really hot and a total sweetheart. Am dreading that he'll turn out to be a piece of work by the end of their arc, though (I'm only about 10 parts in)...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83September 13, 2022 9:47 PM

Lots of rugby players.

by Anonymousreply 84September 13, 2022 10:25 PM

R8/R11 I had no idea Matthew Rhys was straight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 14, 2022 1:43 AM

Black-haired Welshmen can be so beautiful - think Ivor Novello.

by Anonymousreply 86September 14, 2022 1:55 AM

When the Potato Famine drove them out of Ireland, my family settled in Wales for a hot minute before they came to America in 1920. They left lots of written accounts of their time there. Swansea seemed like a very modern city, a nice place to live. A family full of working class girls were able to afford a whole boarding house with a yard in the middle of the city.

by Anonymousreply 87September 14, 2022 5:39 PM

R87 Swansea of now is also quite a lovely place, with sea air and jovial locals and a calm breezy quaint atmosphere, though in some areas rather shabby due to lack of funds (think pebbledashing, full bins, the occasional dead rat or pigeon in the street).

by Anonymousreply 88September 15, 2022 10:30 PM

What is the current Welsh slang word for 'slag/slut/stop-out'? It's for research.

by Anonymousreply 89September 15, 2022 10:31 PM

Hope everyone's Owain Glyndŵr day was tidy like!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90September 17, 2022 12:56 AM

Wales, my dahlings? She doesn't have the range!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91September 17, 2022 10:57 PM

Anyone tuned in to the Wales-Poland game of the Nations' League currently in progress?

We're half an hour in and goalless so far. Speedy striker Dan James so nearly put one in, but alas. We aren't controlling the ball enough or creating options.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92September 25, 2022 7:19 PM

Love Cardiff City stadium, haven't been for years or specifically for the football though (home ground is elsewhere). Really I must go to a game one day.

Welsh football fans are the best-behaved internationals in Britain, honestly. Cleaner, more respectful, quieter and more polite than the English, Irish & Scots. We even cleaned up after ourselves in Brussels the other day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93September 25, 2022 7:37 PM

My gorgeous baby boy Neeks was just booked :(

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94September 25, 2022 7:57 PM

R23

The same place name comes up at the end. This song is a parody of The Girl From Ipanema.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95September 25, 2022 8:06 PM

Am currently learning 'Sosban Fach' to sing to my little 5-year old nephew. He's not Welsh, but he loves music and dancing around, so I think he'll like it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96September 30, 2022 12:19 AM

gareth bale. face card… not perfect by any means but i wholly admit and hold my hands up: i would allow this man to jackhammer the soul out of my body. there is something about the skipper that makes me lose my nut i dunno WHAT it is… he’s got a feral werewolf air about him or something i know he’s a different beast under cover of night and i need to figure out what sort. would love to bring him out with me so other blokes are too scared to crack on

by Anonymousreply 97September 30, 2022 7:37 PM

^^aged well that did ;)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98November 21, 2022 9:47 PM

Two of my favourite Welsh innuendos I've learned lately:

Hufen y Ddrai (Eng: 'dragon cream')

Bysedd llugaeron Eng: ('cranberry/jam fingers')

by Anonymousreply 99November 21, 2022 9:52 PM

I've known 2 Welshpersons. One was, I kid you not, a member of the national rugby team, built like a tank, and a perfectly nice guy. The other is your standard liberal in all regards EXCEPT that he is a sensitive Welsh nationalist and is ready to hear insults about the Welsh when they were not spoken and the Welsh are the most oppressed people etc. etc.

by Anonymousreply 100November 21, 2022 9:57 PM

Tom Jones... Black hair on his head, his chest and allegedly a patch, as large as the amount of hair on his head, surrounding his cock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101November 21, 2022 10:32 PM

First appearance on the Ed Sullivan show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102November 21, 2022 10:34 PM

Last Tom Jones post...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103November 21, 2022 10:36 PM

Welshman Gruffydd Wyn appeared on Britain's Got Talent a couple of years ago. His rugby team is there for moral support. Simon Cowell is a jackass to him, but he pulls it together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104November 21, 2022 10:41 PM

Kieffer Moore isn't called 'Top Shagger' for nothing...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105November 22, 2022 3:10 PM

All that singing.....

by Anonymousreply 106November 22, 2022 3:11 PM

It's because of all the rain R106. Same as for the Irish & Scottish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107November 22, 2022 8:45 PM

Hope at the next Wales world cup match vs. Iran on friday, some of the hoyw fans (if any snuck in) start singing the Manics in protest. Can't have people thinking we're ok with anti-gay discrimination, even if the full Saes won't speak up about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108November 22, 2022 8:58 PM

Those GIFs going round of mi capten Bale motivating the dragons in the Cup game vs USA....I am drenched

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109November 23, 2022 12:04 PM

Ydych chi'n hoffi fy ngheiliog Cymreig pidyn?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110November 26, 2022 10:58 PM

R110 gesundheit.

by Anonymousreply 111November 27, 2022 5:47 AM

I find it funny absolutely no one ever mentions John Cale in the discussions of Welsh. He was born and raised in some small mining town and didn't speak English until he was in primary school.

Is he too niche? The Velvet Underground gets a lot of play these days - enough for an Apple TV documentary! For my money, he is one of the most innovative avant-garde musicians of the last 75 years. Did the Nick Cave thing way before Nick Cave. He's cooler than Tom fucking Jones at least....

by Anonymousreply 112December 2, 2022 7:11 PM

R112 for the festive season...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113December 2, 2022 7:16 PM

I'd love to learn Welsh (at least a bit) since it's one of the last remaining Celtic languages.

I really don't get the Welsh writing system though. Truly weird.

by Anonymousreply 114December 2, 2022 8:57 PM

I recommend you give SaySomethingInWelsh a try, R114, and of course there's always Duolingo as well...

The writing system is actually quite phonetic and makes sense in its own way, see the linked resource.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115December 2, 2022 10:25 PM

The dual language programming on S4C when it comes on it so funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116March 16, 2023 2:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!