Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

February 3 would be the birthday of Robert Rayford - the first AIDS death in the US

He was born in 1953, seems to have had a hard life, and certainly had an awful death.

According to Wikipedia: "In early 1968, Rayford, then 15 years old, admitted himself to the City Hospital in St. Louis. His legs and genitals were covered in warts and sores. He also had severe swelling of the testicles and pelvic region, which later spread to his legs, causing a misdiagnosis of lymphedema. He had grown thin and pale and suffered from shortness of breath. Rayford told the doctors that he had experienced these symptoms since at least late 1966. Tests discovered a severe chlamydia infection which had, unusually, spread throughout his body. Rayford declined a rectal examination request from hospital personnel, and was described as uncommunicative and withdrawn. Dr. Memory Elvin-Lewis, who was assigned to his case, would recall of his shy and somewhat hesitant personality: "He was the typical 15-year-old who is not going to talk to adults, especially when I‘m white and he’s black. He was not a communicative individual. He knew the minute I walked into the room that I wanted something more from him—more blood, more lymph fluid, more something." He had a tendency to contradict his statements regarding his sexual history; at one point boasting himself as "the stud of all time" and at another point claiming to have only had sexual intercourse once, that being with a young woman from his neighborhood, whom he attributed as the source of his illness. Doctors treating Rayford suspected that he was an underage prostitute, and was the recipient of receptive anal intercourse, but never considered the possibility of him being a victim of child molestation. Eventually, he was moved to Barnes-Jewish Hospital (then called Barnes Hospital).

In late 1968 Rayford's condition seemed to stabilize, but by March 1969 his symptoms reappeared and worsened. He had increased difficulty breathing, and his white blood cell count had plummeted. The doctors found that his immune system was dysfunctional. He developed a fever and died of pneumonia at 11:20 pm on May 15, 1969."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 27, 2021 7:50 AM

Robert Redford died of AIDS?!

by Anonymousreply 1January 27, 2021 2:14 AM

"Who the fuck do you think you are, bitch?!"

by Anonymousreply 2January 27, 2021 2:19 AM

R1 and R2 you are horrible witless cunts.

by Anonymousreply 3January 27, 2021 2:20 AM

Sad. Poor kid.

by Anonymousreply 4January 27, 2021 2:24 AM

The first known gay male to die of AIDS was a man from NYC in 1979.

by Anonymousreply 5January 27, 2021 2:52 AM

R3 Is just bitter because her own life story is even more tragic than Rayford's.

by Anonymousreply 6January 27, 2021 3:42 AM

Well did they examine the ass when he died?

by Anonymousreply 7January 27, 2021 3:45 AM

Dig in your hideous heels R6.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 27, 2021 3:46 AM

Rayford's story is sad. He contracted HIV from someone before he was 15(!) So it was rape any way you look at it. That means that HIV existed prior to 1969 and was transmitted by homosexual sex. There were likely other and earlier victims who were just thought to have died of pneumonia or organ failure.

by Anonymousreply 9January 27, 2021 3:46 AM

AIDS gives you warts?

by Anonymousreply 10January 27, 2021 3:49 AM

For the record: I do believe the story really is genuinely sad. And I can't imagine having to confront that. Especially at a young age, and on top of being part of more than one marginalized group, at that time in history.

by Anonymousreply 11January 27, 2021 3:51 AM

Damn that's tragic.

by Anonymousreply 12January 27, 2021 4:01 AM

[quote]Well did they examine the ass when he died?

Not sure if you're just trying to be funny but yes, during the autopsy they did examine his anal area, which was covered in scars. It was believed that he was either being sexually abused or pimped out by his family.

by Anonymousreply 13January 27, 2021 7:24 AM

All I can say is "Fuck! Poor thing!"

It's depressing if all these experts don't have their 'facts' correct.

by Anonymousreply 14January 27, 2021 7:38 AM

If he had full-blown AIDS at age 15 (which it sounds like), he was infected years earlier.

It's not improbable that he was being raped or pimped out at 7 or 8 years old.

by Anonymousreply 15January 27, 2021 7:45 AM

Just for context, we've had some interesting discussions about the Robert R case on DL over the years. One thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 27, 2021 7:47 AM

I cant bring myself to read it. 15? Holy fuck

by Anonymousreply 17January 27, 2021 7:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!