Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dax Shepard admits he was 'afraid' to go public with relapse

Dax Shepard admits he didn’t want to go public with his recent drug relapse.

On Tuesday’s Ellen DeGeneres Show, the talk show host brought up the actor, podcaster and Top Gear America host’s slip up last year after 16 years of sobriety, which saw him sneaking pain pills like Vicodin and Oxycontin, and said it was brave of him to go public, as he could have tried to deal with it in private.

“I did not want to at all,” Shepard admitted. “I had all kinds of bizarre fears — like I have sponsors on my Armchair Expert podcast. Is that something that could cost me money financially?”

He continued, “But the number one thing I was afraid to lose was I get so much esteem out of being someone who is vocally sober. I have people who write me, ‘I’m month one’ or ‘I’m week two’ and I love that. That’s my favorite thing about being in public. So I was terrified I would lose that. I really cherish that.”

Then a friend said something that really resonated.

“I have a good friend that said, ‘If your real goal is to help people, it’s not very helpful that you’re 16 years sober and married to Kristen Bell,’” Shepard recalled with a laugh. “‘That doesn’t help a ton of people. In fact, it probably makes their life worse. The fact that you just fell, that’s the actual value.”

He said when it was framed that way, “it got a lot easier.”

Shepard then joked, “If you can end the quarantine alive and married, my hats off to everyone.”

In a recent interview with People, Bell, who married Shepard in 2013, said the couple sought therapy together at the start of the pandemic last March.

Amid a difficult year, "everyone's proclivities are kind of bubbling over because we're all caged in with each other,” she said. “Dax and I, when we started this pandemic, were at a point in our marriage where we definitely needed a little therapy brush-up."

It was actually around that time that Shepard’s relapse began. The star, who frequently rides motorcycles recreationally at race tracks, had been taking prescribed doses of pain pills stemming from various injuries. However, he started sneaking Vicodin and Oxycontin and it snowballed to where he was on pills “all day” and “taking 30 mil Oxycotin that I've bought whenever I decide.”

He came clean to his Armchair Expert audience in an episode taped Sept. 21 called “Day 7.” In it, he also admitted he had also started acting “shady” with his sobriety before his dad died in 2012. He had first gotten sober in 2004 after cocaine and alcohol abuse.

Bell, who shares two children with Shepard, vowed to “continue to stand by him because he’s very, very worth it.” And in a tribute post for his 46th birthday on Jan. 2, Bell said her husband’s “commitment to growth is astounding.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58February 9, 2021 6:56 AM

Best to keep sobriety private and not go public at all. When will they learn?

by Anonymousreply 1January 26, 2021 9:16 PM

[quote]I have a good friend that said, ‘If your real goal is to help people, it’s not very helpful that you’re 16 years sober and married to Kristen Bell,’” Shepard recalled with a laugh. “‘That doesn’t help a ton of people. In fact, it probably makes their life worse.

Who? Are we meant to be jealous of these people? Who the fuck is Dax Shepard? Why is he worried anyone gives a fuck?

by Anonymousreply 2January 26, 2021 9:17 PM

He and his wife are attention whores. They need to go public with everything.

by Anonymousreply 3January 26, 2021 9:19 PM

[quote] On Tuesday’s Ellen DeGeneres Show

I thought that show had been cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 4January 26, 2021 9:20 PM

Blah blah blah. Show us your rumored-to-be-huge cock.

by Anonymousreply 5January 26, 2021 9:20 PM

I read "relapse" as "prolapse" - my mind is going!

by Anonymousreply 6January 26, 2021 9:31 PM

He looks puffy. Is he drinking?

by Anonymousreply 7January 26, 2021 9:32 PM

He didn't go public with it. His wife forced him to go public with it. When he announced it, she was there and you could tell she was forcing him to go public

She's a horrible person. She's always "ON" and has some "cutesy embarrassing" story to tell everyone about herself or her kids

by Anonymousreply 8January 26, 2021 9:32 PM

[quote] Dax Shepard admits he was 'afraid'

Was he petrified?

by Anonymousreply 9January 26, 2021 9:40 PM

He strikes me as a big fan of Joe Rogen.

by Anonymousreply 10January 26, 2021 9:43 PM

He strikes me as gay

by Anonymousreply 11January 26, 2021 9:47 PM

Why is his face so ROUND. Did he get it pumped full of fillers? Did he get fat? He's very vain about aging.

I listen to his podcast sometimes.

He breaks my gaydar. He's a drama queen that's for sure but at a distance I like him enough.

by Anonymousreply 12January 26, 2021 9:53 PM

He's had several bad run-ins with undereye filler in recent years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 26, 2021 10:06 PM

Whatever became of Dax from TMZ?

by Anonymousreply 14January 26, 2021 10:14 PM

Just seems like a weird narcissist tbh.

by Anonymousreply 15January 26, 2021 10:15 PM

He's cute (but he's no Rob McElhenney). I wouldn't want to go public either. But worse than a relapse and another stint in rehab, is an appearance on The Ellen Degeneres Show.

by Anonymousreply 16January 26, 2021 10:37 PM

I’m glad he apologized to boozebag Ellen!?!?!?

by Anonymousreply 17January 26, 2021 10:43 PM

Dax looks like he's wearing a skin mask. Creepy backwoods looking bastard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 26, 2021 10:45 PM

[quote] She's a horrible person. She's always "ON" and has some "cutesy embarrassing" story to tell everyone about herself or her kids

Sounds like Kelly Ripa.

by Anonymousreply 19January 26, 2021 10:48 PM

[quote]Dax looks like he's wearing a skin mask. Creepy backwoods looking bastard.

That really scared me, r18. Genuinely startling. Who does that tom themselves? Why do his eyes look like big black holes?

by Anonymousreply 20January 26, 2021 10:51 PM

He can't seem to find a gig. Kristen made bank with Frozen. Spin the Wheel Dax! (With your big dick fingers.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 26, 2021 10:54 PM

Hollyweird keeps forcing him down our throats but we spit him out each time.

by Anonymousreply 22January 26, 2021 10:59 PM

He & Kristen are so fucking basic.

by Anonymousreply 23January 26, 2021 11:02 PM

Why is he worrying so specifically about his undereye area when his whole face is creepy? I'm not saying any one _needs_ to have work done, but if you're going to do it, why not make a good job of it?

by Anonymousreply 24January 26, 2021 11:08 PM

I like Kristen Bell, she’s a good solid actress and consistently good in everything she’s in, but I do not get him at all. He’s just so there and blah as an actor. It’s like watching a lamp try to act.

by Anonymousreply 25January 26, 2021 11:58 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 27, 2021 12:01 AM

Dax can be sexy, in a trashy kind of way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 27, 2021 12:03 AM

He’s a good guy. She’s a good gal. They’re cool people. Jealousy is an ugly thing, ya queers.

And he’s said on his show his dick is average (I was listening very closely, believe me), so I don’t know how the big dick rumor got started.

by Anonymousreply 28January 27, 2021 12:04 AM

WHO?

Seriously who is this?

by Anonymousreply 29January 27, 2021 12:12 AM

[quote] WHO?

[quote] Seriously who is this?

Dax Randall Shepard (born January 2, 1975) is an American actor. Since 2018, he has hosted Armchair Expert, a podcast that interviews celebrities, journalists, and academics about their lives.

Shepard is best known for his work in the feature films Without a Paddle (2004), Zathura: A Space Adventure (2005), Employee of the Month (2006), Idiocracy (2006), Let's Go to Prison (2006), Hit and Run (2012), and CHiPs (2017), the last pair of which he also wrote and directed. Shepard portrayed Crosby Braverman in the NBC comedy-drama series Parenthood from 2010 to 2015. He also played Luke Matthews in the Netflix show The Ranch, co-starred in ABC's Bless This Mess, and acted in the MTV practical joke reality series Punk'd (2003).

**But he doesn't mind being known as Mr. Kristen Bell**

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 27, 2021 12:18 AM

R30, all you had to do is say he’s the actor who was not on scrubs, but looks like he may have been on scrubs.

by Anonymousreply 31January 27, 2021 12:24 AM

I think the one acting gig I remember Dax the most from, is the Samsung washing machine commercials he did with Kristen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 27, 2021 12:29 AM

He's fugly and weird looking; his hair always looks odd and the gay and big dick rumors are easy to believe and may have been started by someone like me who wonders how someone so unappealing, talentless and charmless gets fairly steady employment.

by Anonymousreply 33January 27, 2021 12:44 AM

he isn't alone. people fell off in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 34January 27, 2021 1:39 AM

And a lot of people got and stayed sober in 2020. Ego is his problem.

by Anonymousreply 35January 27, 2021 1:47 AM

He is a child sexual abuse survivor but he's a bit cagey on the details. I think he was a teen?

Also he makes homoadjacent comments about hot guys and he knows he is doing it but "no homo".

by Anonymousreply 36January 27, 2021 1:53 AM

Sorry r35, more people fell off the wagon in 2020. Bad year for addiction (as borne out by the record number of overdoes in 2020).

by Anonymousreply 37January 27, 2021 3:02 AM

The sight of his face annoys me. His voice just adds to it.

by Anonymousreply 38January 27, 2021 4:03 AM

What’s his skin color?

by Anonymousreply 39January 27, 2021 4:11 AM

He is quite ugly and trashy.

by Anonymousreply 40January 27, 2021 4:24 AM

I read Dax Shepard as Def Leppard for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 41January 27, 2021 4:31 AM

I always mix up Dax Shepard and Will Arnett. They both have scary looking faces. Alien in fact.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 27, 2021 4:54 AM

Will was once a pretty boy. Dax, never.

by Anonymousreply 43January 27, 2021 5:47 AM

This is why they invented Alcoholics ANONYMOUS, so that you don't blab all your shit all over the media setting yourself up for a rotten result if you pick up booze/drugs again. It also prevents you from becoming a (failed) spokesperson for the cause, but people with small brains and big egos never know when to STFU!

by Anonymousreply 44January 27, 2021 5:54 AM

Bam was always hotter.

by Anonymousreply 45January 27, 2021 5:56 AM

Dax's van mural on Top Gear. Kristen not amused.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 8, 2021 11:57 PM

[quote]"Is that something that could cost me money financially?”

by Anonymousreply 47February 9, 2021 12:33 AM

I've told this story before but I knew Dax for a whole summer when he was filming a movie in NYC. He is one of the nicest guys I've ever dealt with not to mention sexy. Since it was summer, he always had on a tank top and the tightest jeans. We'd chat about our weekend plans and motorcycles while I discreetly stared at his bulge. Don't dis my Dax.

by Anonymousreply 48February 9, 2021 1:01 AM

well describe the bulge? balls? cock? both?

by Anonymousreply 49February 9, 2021 1:09 AM

It's actually not unusual that there be at least one relapse from recovery, even after several years.

by Anonymousreply 50February 9, 2021 1:29 AM

He's been popping pills for years and lying about it.

by Anonymousreply 51February 9, 2021 1:41 AM

Both R49 quite a big "basket".

by Anonymousreply 52February 9, 2021 2:49 AM

I need Dax to fuck my fat ass and pump his hot load into me.

Oh, I almost forgot -- "quite deeply."

by Anonymousreply 53February 9, 2021 5:28 AM

He was quite hot on Punk'd (that's where I first noticed him), but he hasn't aged that well.

He is a funny comedic actor. It's a shame that he never became a big star.

by Anonymousreply 54February 9, 2021 5:35 AM

I liked him in The Ranch with Sam Elliott. He's big and goofy. There are people much worse.

by Anonymousreply 55February 9, 2021 5:54 AM

His name makes him sound like a character on a cheesy tv sci fi series like deep space 9 or something of SyFy.

by Anonymousreply 56February 9, 2021 6:29 AM

“on”

by Anonymousreply 57February 9, 2021 6:30 AM

I think Dax and Kristen may be posting in this thread, or at least their PR people. Both are so insufferably concerned with esthetics, I can imagine they either hire people to comb the internet for mentions or do it themselves. If it's negative, they begin posting how awesome!, sexy!, and talented! they both are. Truth is, they are both hoping Disney does "Frozen 3" so they can have another big payday.

by Anonymousreply 58February 9, 2021 6:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!