Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you support removing the filibuster

I know that Datalounge is moderate and centrist 'ville, but, damn, so called "moderate" and centrist Dems are going to ensure Republicans gain back power in 2022. If we don't kill the filibuster and pass legislation that has an immediate and meaningful impact on people's lives, I hate to think what will happen in 2022 and 2024.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 26, 2021 11:11 AM

If it's removed, OP, do you think the Republicans will put it back in place the next time they're in charge so they can't do the same things you want done now?

The last four years would have been a lot worse if that particular "guardrail" weren't there.

by Anonymousreply 1January 25, 2021 6:12 PM

R1 - it's time to stop living in fear and time to take BOLD action for once. The fact is, both the electoral college and the Senate's 2-senator-per-state structure overwhelmingly favor lower population red states giving them disproportionate power and that will only get worse as time goes by. Of course that's always a risk, but you're making chess moves while the Republicans are burning down the entire building around you.

by Anonymousreply 2January 25, 2021 6:22 PM

The Republicans are in the barest possible minority at the moment. One Democrat is all it takes to have the whole thing - or any part of it - come tumbling down.

And, um, there are no fires burning at the moment except those the Republicans have burned themselves with.

It won't happen.

by Anonymousreply 3January 25, 2021 6:26 PM

OP: No, but I support adding the question mark.

by Anonymousreply 4January 25, 2021 6:26 PM

"no fires burning at the moment" is a statement of privilege. Don't get me wrong, I acknowledge my own privilege, too. I have a good job and have maintained my quality of life during the pandemic. But, for literally tens of millions of Americans who were already living on the razor's edge, the pandemic has intensified very real issues of inequity and access to healthcare.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 25, 2021 6:35 PM

Yes! It’s a ridiculous thing and total impediment to a democratic process.

by Anonymousreply 6January 25, 2021 6:37 PM

Obama called it a “Jim Crow relic”. So yes, it’s time to cancel the filibuster.

by Anonymousreply 7January 25, 2021 6:39 PM

Has Mr Smith been consulted?

by Anonymousreply 8January 25, 2021 6:40 PM

It's gotta go

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 25, 2021 10:16 PM

Having been keeping up w/latest news, so what's going on w/filibuster? Is Schumer heading one way or another?

by Anonymousreply 10January 25, 2021 10:35 PM

Sadly, it’s remaining.

by Anonymousreply 11January 25, 2021 11:00 PM

Get it the fuck out as quickly as they filled that SCOTUS seat after Ruth died.

by Anonymousreply 12January 25, 2021 11:03 PM

Listen to today’s 538 for the latest on the filibuster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 25, 2021 11:04 PM

How they’ll get some legislation through despite the filibuster. Budget reconciliation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 25, 2021 11:06 PM

Manchin is the issue. He says he is against eliminating the filibuster and instituting the simple majority. But he won’t mess with Schumer and the organizing resolution (which is needed to finalize the committee assignments).It isn’t like the dems are even trying to end the filibuster right now. They just don’t want it off the table like droopy is asking for before he will move on with the organizing resolution.

McCaskill Said on MSNBC today that there is a maneuver to get through the organizing resolution actually using or denying the filibuster without giving ground on it. But it would piss off the GOP.

BFD! Do it!

by Anonymousreply 15January 25, 2021 11:18 PM

I have no issues with keeping it, but Democrats ought to be able to get something out of it. I thought I posted this on here before, but if Mitch wants the filibuster then give it to him, but get a guaranteed Trump conviction and an inability for him to ever run for public office again and agreement on Biden's rescue package. In my mind, those are the two pressing issues that I want to see dealt with.

by Anonymousreply 16January 25, 2021 11:21 PM

If they could just make an exception to the filibuster for turning DC into a state, we’d be golden.

by Anonymousreply 17January 25, 2021 11:23 PM

Schumer is being a sternly worded pussy right now on Rachel's show.

by Anonymousreply 18January 26, 2021 1:19 AM

^ I spoke too soon: Rachel announced that McConnell just caved and will allow 2001 Senate rules. I still don't trust that shifty old lady, though.

by Anonymousreply 19January 26, 2021 1:30 AM

If they don’t get rid of the filibuster they will not get anything done and will lose the senate in 2022. If manchin doesn’t want to be forced to take hard votes then he should resign.

Personally I feel like it is inevitable that the filibuster will be blown up in the coming months once Biden and the dems see that absolutely nothing will pass.

A majority is a majority. The filibuster is anti democratic.

by Anonymousreply 20January 26, 2021 1:35 AM

Democrats were really taken aback by how aggressively McConnell fought in 2009 and 2010. Obama won in a landslide and had 59 seats in the Senate (60 for a few months after Franken was finally seated and before Ted Kennedy died). The Republicans participated in mark up on the stimulus, Obamacare, and immigration only to vote 100% against the legislation. Then they blocked judges to a shocking, unprecedented degree.

At least based on Schumer’s appearance on Maddow, they aren’t going to play this time, They have fewer tools, but also are not burdened any illusions about who Republicans are.

by Anonymousreply 21January 26, 2021 1:54 AM

It looks like Schumer's greed for power may be useful, R19; McConnell did indeed flinch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 26, 2021 2:13 AM

This is why voting is so important. I want the Senate to be functional and get shit done, but at the same it would be nice if could do that with a real majority and not have to depend on the VP or the whims of 2 democrats from conservative states trying to hold on to their seats.

by Anonymousreply 23January 26, 2021 2:20 AM

Keep it. It helps the Dems too.

by Anonymousreply 24January 26, 2021 2:32 AM

Do you all work in spin for Schumer? I'm not sure I would classify this as some massive win for Dems when the awful Manchin and Sinema have declared they won't support ending the filibuster under any circumstances. this feels more like a victory for Republicans who will block any major legislation that requires more than 51 votes.

by Anonymousreply 25January 26, 2021 2:36 AM

When I was in high school, Bush was president. My liberal friends were all talking about how sacred the filibuster was and how it must be maintained by all means. Now they all want it eliminated.

This is why people hate politics and the government. Everyone switches positions and nobody has any integrity.

by Anonymousreply 26January 26, 2021 2:45 AM

That's reductive, R26. The truth is more people are waking up to the fact that the structure of the senate and our legislative system (including the filibuster) gives disproportionate power to more rural, conservative and less densely populated parts of the country. The 50 Republican senators represent tens of millions fewer Americans than the Democratic senators do. It's going to be broken until Dems grow some balls.

by Anonymousreply 27January 26, 2021 2:55 AM

R26, the GOP abused its power so much under Trump, that Dems have to start playing to win

by Anonymousreply 28January 26, 2021 2:59 AM

Miz Lindsey likes when her gentlemen friends remove their "filibusters" slowly, and her whimpers of ecstasy prove it

by Anonymousreply 29January 26, 2021 3:06 AM

Take that filibuster and shove it right up McConnell's prolapsed rectum.

by Anonymousreply 30January 26, 2021 3:12 AM

Manchin and Sinema are useless. Remember that Sinema also voted to confirm the heinous Bill Barr as Attorney General. She needs to be watched.

by Anonymousreply 31January 26, 2021 3:13 AM

Republicans are losing two Senators in 2022 from Pennsylvania and Ohio who are retiring. Democrats need to start working aggressively to win those seats.

by Anonymousreply 32January 26, 2021 3:15 AM

I'm not sure. If they adjourn for more than 3 days or adjournment sine die, and it's time to advice and consent to amendment in the nature of substitute for appeal, then maybe. When an appropriation baseline budget authority during a caucus in a cloakroom cloakroom while a concurrent resolution is in order, then yes. When a engrossed bill is enacted at the end of a fiscal year, no. The filibuster must be germane to the hearing, whether an item veto in joint committee or on the floor. When a motion is on the table, perhaps a "must pass" bill or a nongermane amendment, it is their obligation with off-budget entities to revert to the original bill and never with a permanent appropriation, point of order, or in a pro forma session.

by Anonymousreply 33January 26, 2021 3:29 AM

When you eliminate the filibuster for the rethugs when Dems are in control, you eliminate the filibuster for Dems when rethugs are in control.

Just keep that in mind.

by Anonymousreply 34January 26, 2021 4:53 AM

Manclit and Senema are working for the other side. They already threatened to join them last year if Bernie won.

by Anonymousreply 35January 26, 2021 4:56 AM

Do we like having the majority? If Manchin and Sienna start voting progressive and don’t stand up as the centrist they were elected as, we eventually lose those seats. Manchin ran a very fine line of supporting the filibuster, but also supporting the organizing resolution that wouldn’t promise not to eliminate it.

Quit being stupid.

by Anonymousreply 36January 26, 2021 11:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!